z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

the land of milk and honey : prologue

by mephistophelesangel


Link to the book cover : 

http://imgur.com/a/L2TVj

Here's me discussing this project over at "Writers Corner" : https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?...

You won't really be missing out on anything important, but if you're particularly interested in this story, you might benefit from clicking the link. 

Let's get this show on the road!

_ _ _ _ _

mother

mother

forgive me

for I have sinned

and buried it

in your grave.

_ _ _ _ _

PROLOGUE

_ _ _ _ _

He watches her die.

To be fair, he cannot move any part of his body except his eyes. Watching the little girl die is quite literally the only thing that he’s capable of doing. However, he also knows that it is unlikely that he would be motivated to help her even if he could move. It would be strikingly easy, if his hands were able to move, to step forward and place his shoulders, or hands, below the girl’s kicking feet. The rope that has the girl strung up like butchered meat isn’t so short that he wouldn’t be able to provide a stable surface for her to stand on. After the girl regains her breath, he could devise a clever plan to cut the rope and let the girl breathe.

However, in reality he cannot move -doesn’t want to move-, and therefore he simply watches in an almost reverent silence.

It doesn’t take very long for the girl’s movements to turn sluggish. He follows the slowing strokes of the girl’s small legs and curiously compares it to a bird’s mating dance. Or, perhaps, a little child learning how to swim, held up in the water by the hands of a parent, legs kicking lazily and the child laughing in excitement.

He almost laughs at the irony until he remembers that he can’t.

When the girl’s feet give a slight tremble then fall limp, he thinks of a dying fish then quickly corrects himself. A dying fish usually gives more of a fight.

His shoulders relax, and his spine straightens. Cocking his head, he brings up a hand and slowly clenches it into a fist, languidly bathing in the foreign feeling of being back in control of himself. Staring down at his hand, he wiggles his fingers in an almost playful way. They look alien to him.

Somehow, he knows that his breathing shouldn’t be so calm. His heart should be beating faster. His head should be going wild with shock and horror and disgust. A girl just died.

So?

The corners of his lips quirk. He looks back up at where the girl was hanging just moments before. 

There is nothing.

He blinks, then blinks again. Perhaps his eyesight has decided to fail him; however, he doesn’t think that it’s likely. Everything else except the girl is still clear in his vision. The small smile on his face melting away, he takes advantage of his new range of movement and turns around to stare into eyes that are his very own.

A mirror, he manages to convince himself before his body betrays his shock. It’s a mirror. As he’s stabilizing his breathing, he finds his hand lifting and approaching the surface of the mirror. Every nerve in his body is screaming at him to don’t and he clenches his teeth and starts to lift his other hand to stop himself because don’t don’t don’t

Then the mirror reaches out to him and twists his wrist in an unbreakable grip. He watches himself smile crookedly and there’s a wave of terror rising from his throat, but the feeling is so detached that at first he doesn’t even notice it.

Did you like it, he feels the whisper before he hears it. Did you?

He opens his mouth to scream.

The hand on his wrist tightens and he hears a sharp snap. Suddenly, shards of glass are stabbing into his arm, going under his skin and traveling towards his heart, but even as he crumbles onto his knees he doesn’t know if the pain is his own.

There’s someone breathing on his ear and he knows that the mirror is trying to stare into him. He closes his eyes tightly in response and shudders. The numbness from before -watching but not watching, feeling but not feeling- is beginning to wear off, and he feels everything like a sharp stab to his guts.

The mirror reaches into the bones in his wrist and crushes it.

Coward.

Somehow he knows that there’s something that is pure danger rushing at his eyes, and his instincts force him to snap them open. He stares stupidly at the shards of glass flying at him, about to tear open his world.

Then a blissful moment of nothing at all.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 18525
Reviews: 118

Donate
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 pm
PastelSlushie wrote a review...



Hello, mephistophelesangel! PastelSlushie here for a review. Let's get right into it!

FIRST IMPRESSION
- I was a little confused after reading this. You are describing the main character as he, and the ending kind of made me stop for a second. The mirror murdered him, right? Going back a bit, you seem to be vague when describing the main character, unless that was what you were going for.

CHARACTERS
- I don't have much to say about the characters because you don't give out much information about them. All I know about the main character is that he is male and that he watched a girl die. If vague is what you were going for in this part, and you plan on being more descriptive as the story goes on (if it is), then that's fine.

NITPICKS
- [However, in reality he cannot move -doesn’t want to move-, and therefore he simply watches in an almost reverent silence.] It seems that you are missing a comma with the interrupter in reality. Consider adding the comma

- [He watches himself smile crookedly and there’s a wave of terror rising from his throat, but the feeling is so detached that at first he doesn’t even notice it.] It seems that you are missing a comma after the introductory phrase at first. Consider adding a comma.

OVERALL
- I really enjoyed this piece. The idea of a mirror killing someone is something I've never seen before. I wasn't a huge fan of the vagueness in this chapter, but I'm guessing that was your intention. In fact, it adds to mysterious theme and plot of this writing. Other than that, this was a nice beginning to a story that I hope you plan on continuing.

Keep writing!

Pastel




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:44 am
Virgil wrote a review...



Hi there mephistohelesangel! This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review on a late night where I probably should be getting to bed soon, though I can't avoid not doing a review today! With that being said, let's spare the long intro and jump right in.

The cover to this (I didn't realize that this is a novel until just now) novel is pretty spooky! I'm not usually a fan of horror but I am indeed a fan of mystery, so we'll see how this goes. I believe that the title is a...Bible reference? I know Israel is nicknamed the land of milk and honey, so perhaps this takes place there. As for the poem (is that supposed to be a poem or is the opening going under a different label?) that starts us off, I don't see the purpose of repeating the word 'mother' twice and generally there's a smoother flow without the second usage.

The perspective that this is in confuses me a little bit, at least in the opening paragraphs. This is in the third person perspective and in present tense without giving the name of who this 'he' is? Quite vague, though I'm pretty sure that's what you're aiming for. The opening here is interesting to say the least and leaving out on most of the details of what's going on. I assume that this might be relevant in the novel and I'm going to suggest not leaving out any of the information that comes here or using this prologue as a crutch in the actual novel because unfortunately not everyone ends up reading the prologue.

There isn't a lot of character here and nor is there any real plot outside of the man watching the little girl die and then the mirror kills him (if I'm reading this right) and that's about it. I saw this as more of the tone and atmosphere more than anything else which is what I hope this is and not all the way tied to the main plot (I'm not a fan of those types of prologues personally). Overall, this is interesting enough especially in the first half with seeing his thoughts before the mirror murders him. Overall, not bad. I don't know if this is my type of story quite yet because I'm not easily immersed in the genre, but there's potential here.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Image





the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren