18+ Language Mature Content

Your Cat Doesn't Even Like You

by catchingwave

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

You slide into your chair. You pull out a pencil and scribble for a while. The scribbles are weak. Frustrated, you try breaking the pencil instead. Much better. You break the pencil into smaller pieces: snap, snap, snap. Eventually it can break no further. Pencils are weak. You tap the table for a while, twisting and scrunching your mouth. You can hear Henry scratching at the window outside. What a painful animal. 

Your flitting eyes catch a glimpse of your reflection in the laptop screen. You stare at yourself. When you can bear no more, you switch on your laptop.

Loading, password, desktop, Internet, Facebook, Pornhub, Facebook, and now YouTube. Everything is such a waste of time. You watch some animal compilation videos. So fucking lame. Dislike. You switch to DeviantArt. Scroll, scroll, scroll. It’s not much better, but you do find yourself occasionally pausing at some of the art. You stop at one particular drawing. It’s one of those fake digital drawings everybody loves so much. “What junk,” you mutter to yourself. But you like this drawing. You look at it for well over two minutes. That’s a long time. You finally decide to favourite it.

***

Class seems to drag on forever. Your mind drifts to Henry and you realise that you forgot to let him in this morning. You start to feel pity, but then the class is dismissed and you’re overcome with a sense of relief instead.

Schoolchildren flood the train as the doors open into Flemington. You feel the old woman beside you inhale sharply. You’re tempted to whisper “I know” into her ear. The schoolkids reek of puberty. One of them stands in front of you. She is holding onto the handrails above. Her face is spotted and her breasts small. But she has a nice ass. You watch carefully when she bends down for her bag and exits the carriage. You decide she is wearing blue underwear.

The train enters a tunnel. Your reflection appears across the carriage glass and watches you. You thank god when the train is back outside.

You return home relatively tired. There is cereal above the fridge. You walk past Henry meowing outside the window and make yourself a large bowl before settling back onto your desk. Your appetite begins to fade when you find yourself staring at your glaring laptop screen yet again. Your phone rings suddenly. It’s your mother.

“How are you sweetie?”

“Hi mum, not bad.”

“How’s my baby doing these days?”

“Not bad”

You scroll through your newsfeed as she chatters about how much weight she’s put on and how much she misses you and how she’s got it so tough these days and how she wishes you would visit her. You notice Jessica updated her profile picture.

“Okay mum,”

“You’ll be okay. Don’t forget how much I love you okay? Oh, and how’s Henry doing?”

“He’s fine. Goodbye mum.”

Max has shared something about the benefits of marijuana. What a dumb hippie fuck.

“Oh and one last thing,”

“Yes mum?”

“Have you been taking your-

“Goodbye mum.”

You hang up and pause briefly. Your fingernails rhythmically move up and down against the table surface: tap, tap, tap. Someone sends you a message on Facebook.

“Hi Jay, hope ur doing ok. i heard u havent been attending class lately. Ly told me abt what happend. Hope to talk soon. J”

You close Facebook and play some Cannibal Corpse, leaning back on your chair with your legs folded. Your foot moves up and down, but not in rhythm to the music. Eventually you doze off.

It’s 1:42AM when you wake. Your neck aches and your breath smells. You readjust yourself and stare, yet again, at the reflection in your blackened laptop screen. Almost immediately, your hand guides itself towards the mouse, waking the asleep computer. You click on Facebook and see that fifteen people have commented on Jessica’s picture. You hold back laughter at her updated caption.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow

Learn as if you were to live forever.

Mahatma Gandhi”

You can’t believe it. What a joke. You’ve known Jessica for twelve years and the bitch probably doesn’t even know who Gandhi is. Without much thought, you begin typing in a comment:

“You’ll probably die at 20 and not have learned a single fucking thing.”

You snicker at yourself. It’s not very clever or creative, but it’s much better than everybody else’s.

Something rubs up against your leg. You look down to meet a pair of feline eyes. When the hell did he get in here? You push the cat aside and return to Eve’s message.

“Jesus Christ, you are so annoying. Just piss off will you.”

You’re smiling now; what a riot. You picture her face when she reads your response.

Henry continues to persist down below. He’s hungry and annoying. You ignore him and continue with your laptop.

You’re scrolling back now; up, up, up, back to all those posts and pictures and videos you already saw. You begin commenting.

“This is the most cancerous thing I’ve seen all day” You could improve it a little.

“You dumb feminist fuck, I hope you get molested.” You might have gone a little far here.

“Nobody cares about your shitty children.” This one is true.

“Actually kill yourself.”

“Stupid goatfucker, learn some English.”

“I wish I could slit your wrists for you.”

You’re actually chuckling. You’re quite impressed by yourself, save your lack of originality. You’re also flushing a little, pumped with adrenaline and satisfaction at long last.

Henry paws at your seat and you reach below to pat his head.

“Stupid furball,” you grin.

You switch off your laptop and take your uneaten glob of a cereal back into the kitchen. Your neighbours are playing their weird Spanish music again. You would scream at them if they weren’t all 200 pounds of satanic sombrero-wearing drug lords.

As you empty your cereal into the trash, you catch site of your reflection from across the room. It’s watching you from the kitchen window. Its lips move slowly, carefully. You know it’s telling you something.

“For god’s sake Jay, feed the cat.”  

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 pm
JoeBookman wrote a review...

Certain stories leave me reflecting again and again on their content, meaning, and greater implications. Rarely are these stories happy. This one falls into that category for me.

I've read it three or four times now and I admire all the subtleties. Several times Jay spots his reflection and tries to escape it, or feels unsettled by it. Without saying the words, we know he's on medication. Without saying it, we know something happened which sent him on a spiral. I think these things hold power because they're not directly addressed.

Jay is a honest-to-God toxic person, but this is the first story I've ever read which injects humanity into his kind of person (and does it without trying to forcefully elicit sympathy). He's not a sociopath, though. There's a point where he has pity for his cat, but then feels "relief" when class is dismissed and he doesn't have to deal with that emotion anymore. He admires a piece of art, but automatically wants to detest it. He posts revolting, downright malicious comments on Facebook in order to spurn excitement and adrenaline in himself, and is very aware of why he's saying these things and what effect they have on him. What this tells me is that he's both uncomfortable with emotions, but also craves them. He wants to feel, but he wants to feel only what he wants to feel and on his terms. From a psychological standpoint, to me this indicates trauma. There are countless other pieces of evidence hinting to Jay's various qualities, offering clues to his past and present, but I won't go into all of them. Just know that, as a reader, I'm intrigued enough to be looking for them.

I think that using second person was very effective here. The reader (in most cases) is going to want to be isolated from Jay, so forcing them to view the world from his perspective is uncomfortable. That you can make the reader experience such a powerful emotion so vividly is skillful on your part.

I only have a few minor nitpicks here. Twice in Jay's internal monologue, you use "god" instead of "God." I guess you could justify it by saying it's his writing style, but to me it was just distracting.
I also think you could make a few tweaks in formatting to make the story feel more finished. The quote from Gandhi, for example, could be indented. I would like to see your page breaks centered and/or represented by something other than asterisks with no spaces between them. These are minor things but they'd polish the final result.

Overall though, this feels like a well-done, finished piece. I definitely think there's more than meets the eye on this story, and it's one I'm going to remember. I once got a piece of writing advice from someone I admire -- "Write for your perfect audience." No story is going to appeal to everyone, so instead of writing a story that a lot of people will kind of like, write the story that a few people (your "perfect audience") will love. It takes a lot of guts and emotional depth to write a story about a character that most readers will universally hate. But for me, these are the stories that mean something. I feel like I'm a member of your "perfect audience" in this case.

Keep writing.

Joe

catchingwave says...

Hello,
Much appreciated Joe. I%u2019m glad you detected the subtle tones of self-reflection. I was very subliminally influenced by certain social theorists I was studying at the time, Charles Cooley being a big one (not that I was hoping anyone would notice, but I do owe it to him for being my late-night inspiration).
Jay is definitely a unique character, I won%u2019t lie. I tried to make him as unapologetically selfish and cruel as possible, but in the most relatable way that I could. I think if you look hard enough, you%u2019ll find that more people than you think are not too unlike Jay. He is so afraid of criticising himself that he%u2019ll find anything else to do instead.
The use of second person was a big step for me. It%u2019s something I%u2019d never done before but had been wanting to for a while, and I did receive a lot of mixed reviews about it. Having said that though I%u2019m super glad that you liked it. It%u2019s a very unusual way of writing and I recommend everyone to give it a go at least once.
Funnily enough all your nitpicks are things I noticed as well! I was hesitant about capitalising God mainly because I didn%u2019t want to indicate religiousness from the protagonist%u2019s part (I%u2019m not sure whether this is a thing or not, perhaps I best look into it?). But I%u2019ll definitely follow up on the rest of your feedback, which I greatly appreciate by the way!
Thanks heaps for the review Joe, I%u2019m honestly pretty flattered you enjoyed my story so much. It seems a lot of people either hate it (my best-friend at the time being part of this category), have mixed feelings, or really like it. I also find people%u2019s radically different reactions to the protagonist so amusing haha. Also, your %u2018perfect audience%u2019 point is very good, I%u2019ll be sure to keep it in mind for whenever I next post anything. Thank you once again for the comment, and happy writing to you as well.
Cheers
Amna

catchingwave says...

Sweet lord, dunno why there's so many random symbols in my reply, but hopefully otherwise it makes sense

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 pm
mckeownm wrote a review...

Hi!

Wowowow!! I really really liked this story. Reading the other review, I definitely agree with midnightdreary's point of view on how Jay makes them feel uncomfortable - but I personally believe this is what makes the story so strong. Again, this is a personal preference, but I love antiheroes because they really challenge the reader's perception of what's happening in the story, especially when it's in the first person. Also because they are so interesting and have so many secrets and juicy backstory etc etc.

That being said, the highlight of this short story is definitely the main character and how you revealed certain points of his past (he's not living with his mom right now - is this due to divorce death? and where is his dad? does he have one) while still maintaining mystery and interest. Your sentence structure and pacing goes with this really well, as a reader I get the feeling that Jay is drifting through life, never really connecting with anything but just pessimistically judging.

The part that kind of lost me is when Jay goes on a tangent, writing hate comments. Why is he doing this? Just because? Or for a deeper reason connecting back to his mom/dad/previously mentioned unresolved problems. Consider adding a couple sentences linking back. BUT I know you said this is an old piece and you probably don't want to revise it which isn't a problem at all since it is a very strong short story!

Maya

catchingwave says...

Hello there!
Why thank you! That%u2019s very kind of you, and yes, I agree myself, Jay is truly one of a kind. But having said that, I like to think he%u2019s not too different from all of us, which is perhaps why a lot of people feel prompted to continue the whole story. I also love antiheroes btw, they%u2019re far more interesting than traditional protagonists.
Your highlight being Jay%u2019s background was also something many other people found intriguing. Some students were curious about whether I%u2019d continue the story or not just because they wanted to know more about Jay (the brief response to this is unfortunately no). Nevertheless, I still love sharing literature and reading other people%u2019s. It%u2019s been much too long since I last logged on.
And as for Jay%u2019s online tangent, I was hoping to leave it as a subtle %u2018ultimate%u2019 moment which is what everything else leads to, otherwise the story felt too monotonous and dry. I will definitely consider adding more context though, like you mentioned. Any feedback is highly appreciated.
%uF04A Amna

midnightdreary wrote a review...

Hi! This is going to be a pretty short review, because I honestly have so many mixed feelings on this piece.

This story is well written, I'll give you that. The character is weird and creepy and you got his personality across extremely well. I like how when he looks at his reflection, he saw how bad of a person he was. It emphasizes his unwillingness to change, or even consider trying to fix his life.

The thing is, I was uncomfortable the entire time while reading this, which made it unenjoyable for me. I was scared about what was going to happen to Henry, and also felt bad for most of the people he interacted with. Literally everything he did anything, I was uncomfortable. But, I'm assuming that's what you were going for.

What I'm saying is, I disliked reading about this character, but you did a great job of developing him. Sorry if this sounded really mean, it was a good story, the guy just creeped me out way too much.

catchingwave says...

Hello! Haha, thanks, I received very similar feedback from my class. A lot of people had mixed feelings about the character, which is fine because I was aiming for a very specific kind of detestable person, just as a light experiment to see what it would be like to write from a more toxic point of view for once. I'm glad you enjoyed the writing though. Thanks for the feedback :-)

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.