z

Young Writers Society


12+

Exorbitant self love

by NightScape


It all started with a certain feeling
Borne of the most loveless kind
Hatred became a familiar friend
And I told myself that I didn't mind

Destructive I became
To myself and them all
But it was a path to nowhere
And I had already hit a wall

Whilst hatred festered for all
Love towards myself grew
Self obsessive and narcissistic
And those definitions were true

From one monster to another
Just wearing a different skin
Oh how I wish I could change
And become that of my kin

The acceptance came last
Love in thyself shall not waver
For love vested in others
Is the most fruitless kind of labour

I could have edited this.....but nah. Poems are better off raw, or that's just an excuse because I'm just too lazy to edit to be honest. ;)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:52 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



Hello again, just a few more thoughts for Review Day!

This poem has a good rhythm that you establish right away and keep throughout the poem, so good job with that.

Something to be careful about, however, is that when you're trying to give a poem a rhyme scheme, you should avoid at all cost ending two lines with the same word (in this case 'all'). Even though they're in separate stanzas so it's not like you're trying to rhyme them with each other, it still feels like you're trying to get away with something to the reader and becomes a bit distracting from the actual meaning of the poem itself.

I don't think it's necessary, but if you do decide to edit this poem, I would suggest trying it once with punctuation marks put in, just to test it out and see if it added anything. I'm not sure it will, but I'd be rather curious to see what they'd do to the flow and readability of the poem. It also might be cool, since the poem is about narcissistic behavior, to only capitalize the word 'I' in the poem and not the first of every line as well. I don't know, it might end up appearing cheesy, but it's just something to think about. I'll leave that to your own artistic interpretation.

Great poem! Nicely done. And I love the title, it was really intriguing.

~alliyah
This review has been brought to you by Team Cardinals! Happy Review Day!!




User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 200

Donate
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 pm
View Likes
kman134 wrote a review...



Hi. This is Kman134. I'm here to review your work.

honestly, i know what it's like dealing with narcissists and having to deal with one. my parents have been divorced since i was born and for years, it has effected me in a certain way. the reason is because my father was a complete narcissist and a hedonist, having relationships left and right, and not even acknowledging his own faults or admitting that most of his relationships failed because of him.

anyways, this poem was perfect. i couldn't find any flaws with it. although the rhyming did seem a little forced, to be honest, like in this one: "Just wearing a different skin/Oh how I wish I could change/And become that of my kin". i know someone already pointed this out, but i just wanted to make a remark about it.

the ending of the poem gave me a very shakespearian vibe, which makes a good homage to the greatest author in the Elizabethan era, such as using "Thyself" and "waver". something that is barely used in modern day poetry

anyway, this is a pretty good poem. i hope to read more.




NightScape says...


Oh damn, that must have been rough! I am a narcissist but I'd like to think I'm not overly so. Sure, I like myself more than anyone else, but hurting people wilfully just ain't right, so I feel bad that you had to deal with not the best of us (But saying all that, you didn't specify which way it affected you, so hopefully I didn't incite any unpleasant memories?).

Thanks and yup, hopefully will work that bit out soon! Well, I actually love the Shakespearian style of speech so I sneak in hints of it wherever I can (all kinds of olden time speech to be honest). Thanks for stopping by my poem :) .

Also, I apologise in advance, but the hidden grammar Nazi in me died when I saw the word effected (I'm so sorry, I can't help it!!!!). It's terrible, I know, I'm trying to correct a word in a review!



User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 2990
Reviews: 69

Donate
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 pm
View Likes
gxldencrxwns wrote a review...



Hello, hello, gxldencrxwns here for a review.

When I read the description, I though this poem was going to talk bad about Narcissists in relationships, and I almost skipped over it, I'm narcissist myself and I get talked bad about because of it. But I realized that wasn't the case, so thanks for that.

I like this, although some of the rhymed seem forced. For example:
"Just wearing a different skin/and become that of my kin."
It doesn't really seem to naturally, it seems a bit forced. I would suggest changing that last sentence to something else.

I saw no grammar or spelling mistakes, so good job on that. It had powerful line that are mentioned in the last review.

Keep writing!
~gxldencrxwns




NightScape says...


Hi,

Thanks for the review! Yes, I get it that us narcissists have it bad (or maybe that's just the narcissism talking!) and we don't particularly like hearing things that we already know. So yeah, it was mostly the struggle of a narcissistic person finally realising who they are and that it's okay to be that way. Yes, I must admit I did rush this poem and didn't really go over it, but yeah that was also the line that really stuck out to me and didn't make the poem flowy. I will definitely think over what I should change that to! Thanks again for stopping by :)



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2046
Reviews: 131

Donate
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm
View Likes
beccalicious94 wrote a review...



Hey NightScape! Becca here for a quick review.

I definitely hear your sentiment at the end about not editing poems. I get the initial resistance towards making edits after you just write the poem, but am definitely pro edits after hearing feedback.

Overall, I thought this was a great poem with some really good lines, but I do have a few suggestions for how it could be even stronger.

I loved "From one monster to another/Just wearing a different skin," and "For love vested in others/Is the most fruitless kind of labour." I thought those lines were really powerful.

My biggest criticism is with the rhyme scheme. It feels very forced, and I don't think it enhances the poem at all. I would suggest playing with other musical qualities like internal rhyming, alliteration and assonance. Obviously your call as the author.

Hope this was helpful. Keep writing! :D




NightScape says...


Hi Becca!

First of all a thank you for checking out my work! There are definitely a couple of forced rhymes in there and I would usually revise them but I just wanted to get something out there - I also may need to stop being so lazy with edits!!! To be honest, I'm kind of glad I posted it like that, constructive criticism is key to improvement. Though I must say, I have covered other styles of poetry (and still need to improve in those areas) but for some reason find myself partial to rhyming poems!!! Despite this, there is still a lot of poetic styles and features that I have not covered and I will try to do so and incorporate in the future. Don't worry I'm pro edits after reviews too :) .

Twas a very helpful review indeed! Keep on reviewing!!!




“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly