z

Young Writers Society



One and One

by fictionfanatic


For Matt, who had cancer three times and beat it twice.


One and One

One and one is two,

And I guess maybe that's me and you...

Or is it the relapses you've been through?

But then one plus two is three,

And that's how many times you'd be healthy...

So maybe, just maybe, you'd finally be free?

But then one sans one is nothing,

And

Suddenly

Nothing

Makes

Sense.

So maybe, just maybe,

One sans one...

Is me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 158
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm
all wrote a review...



Hey, here for a review!

Okay, firstly, the little line in italics basically broke my heart.

But let's get to the review part of this review.

I'm not too keen on your stylistic choice of putting your title again and reiterating what's already there. And if it's there for stylistic choice, I would recommend not putting it in bold unless you're trying to really emphasize it.

To make this easier for a reader to read, I would recommend stanzas, even though your poem is short, it will help with organization and your different rhyme schemes. Here's an example on how you could "stanza - up" your poem.

One and one is two,

And I guess maybe that's me and you...

Or is it the relapses you've been through?


But then one plus two is three,

And that's how many times you'd be healthy...

So maybe, just maybe, you'd finally be free?


But then one sans one is nothing,

And

Suddenly

Nothing

Makes

Sense.

So maybe, just maybe,

One sans one...

Is me.


I also want to touch on your overall rhyme scheme. I'm truly not a fan of it, sorry. The way you rhymed made me feel like it was really limited and not at all using stronger vocabulary. One thing I personally reiterate in all my reviews for rhyme poetry is that rhyme schemes don't usually work out unless it's unintentional rhyme. And by unintentional rhyme I mean like accidentally rhyming where there is this strong word and another word compliments it. Forced rhyme is kind of what I see going on. Because rhyming "three" with "free" isn't at all as strong (I know I keep using this word) as it could me. If you could keep the rhyme scheme and still come up with a better word that fits it well, I would say go for it.

Another thing about your rhyme is that it doesn't carry on throughout your poem. At least from what I see. The last part of your poem starting at "But then..." it doesn't rhyme. And I recommend staying consistent with the rhyme if you choose to do it. Either try to carry it throughout the poem, or just leave it without, that's at least the rule I usually abide by regarding rhyme.

One little tiny thing I'm going to be nitpick about is your "...". All three times your could either replace those with a period or a comma or even a semicolon. The "..." says to me that you want your reader to be suspenseful while reading the line, which I don't think is what you're trying to come off. If you want the line break and a breath break, I would recommend ending the line with a period so the reader knows when to stop.

Overall, this was a clever and meaningful poem! I wish to read more of your work and I wish you the best of luck on those!




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 151
Reviews: 24

Donate
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am
LucytheBrave wrote a review...



That was amazing!

This is not the kind of thing you want to read first thing in the morning, because now I'm going to be thinking about it all day. This poem is beautifully written. It portrays the thought process of someone in love accurately. And it's sad , but more bittersweet. It's more the person realizing that they may not have love in their future.

Though sans is not a common word, you mad it work with your poem, which is quite skillful. I also liked how you didn't keep the same form throughout the poem. It allows the poem to feel more realistic, one's actual thoughts instead of just words on a screen.

The only line I would change is one plus two is three--that couplet doesn't make a lot of sense. While the rest of the poem has very clear undertones, that one is confusing. I have to struggle to understand what you mean, and it messes with the emotion. But other than those two lines, the poem is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you write in the future.

Keep Writing!

~Lucy




User avatar


Points: 11
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 am
stormyandlovey wrote a review...



This poem is very well written and expresses a very deep emotion. I like your word variation and the way you have your poem move down on "And suddenly nothing makes sense". Your emotions are very prominent, yet what the poem actually refers to is not very clear, and keeps us guessing at what these relapses, what these numbers, what being healthy has to do with it. I think one tip would be to explain what the poem is about, even if it's just a small hint. You talk about these "one plus one" things, and to me, my first thought was "he must have cheated", but your short explanation of the poem explains it's cancer. I wouldn't have guessed it was cancer, had you not written that. But it was a great poem!




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:19 pm
nimy29 says...



You did a amazing job with is poem. i love your use of words "relapses, healthy, and just maybe, you'll finally be free." i love how you had the words go diagonally.





Resistance is futile.
— The Borg