Conics Unfortunately: 5

by Ventomology

Ellipse left a resignation sticky-note on her boss’s apartment door. It was not the most professional of exits, but she was short on time, and at least the sticky had an elegant, swirly watermark at the bottom. Besides, her boss lived two doors away, and Ellipse passed by his place every time she used the actually-normal elevator in the staff housing block.

She met the siren in the regular elevator, but only after waiting around for four minutes while he played with the gravity change between the higher floors. When the doors finally slid open, Ellipse found the siren with his green, tube-like tongue lolling out of his mouth and the wheelchair pushed over onto its side.

“Really?” she sang.

The siren shrugged. He scooted about in the elevator, giving Ellipse space for her feet and her belongings, and slapped the button for the housing block’s ground floor.

“So you speak five vocal languages, can communicate in three visual languages, and understand eight more languages, which are beyond the ability of earthlings to replicate.” the siren prompted.

“Yes.”

“You are not lying to get onto the Conics?”

See, Ellipse tried very very hard not to lie. “Of course not,” she said. “I do not lie.” She did not mention that she also tried very hard to not tell the truth.

“Everyone tells little lies,” the siren pointed out. “The question is whether or not you think this is little.”

Ellipse curled her lips back, and the siren shrugged. Evidently, she would have to prove herself. Rolling her eyes, she took a deep breath and let out a slew of sentences, all memorized from the third edition of Universal Biology, making sure that the part she spoke in English was the “mitochondria are the powerhouse of the earthling cell” bit.

The elevator slid to a stop, landing with a soft thud and a near-indiscernible shake, and the siren stared, gills flaring out and down. “I did not know that,” he sang, and then he flopped his way into the lobby. Whether or not that was approval, Ellipse did not know.

She followed him, leaving the wheelchair in the elevator, and bid a silent and unremorseful goodbye to the concrete walls and steel walkways that built the staff housing. To the hanging plants and abundant fairy lights, Ellipse bid an actually remorseful goodbye.

The pair made their way across the bare-bones concrete lobby, with the siren flopping as fast as his tail would let him and Ellipse strolling, taking great pleasure in whistling and readjusting her two bags, and acting as carefree as possible.

“So uhh, which dock is your ship in?” Ellipse asked. Hopefully the Conics was in the S or T block, because then she would not have to struggle with the elevator again.

“S-seventy-nine.”

Ellipse heard the S and thought, thank the almighty big bang. Then she heard the seventy-nine part and wanted to roll over and die. Walking there would take forever, and the S block’s conveyor belt floors were not for passenger use. Not officially, anyway. She grimaced and pointed at a door hidden behind a mass of dense, dark moss.

“Hey,” she called. The siren paused and twisted to look in her direction, and then to glance at the door. “S block is right over there.”

Like Ellipse, he grimaced, nose wrinkling and eyes narrowing. “This is the low number end, is it not?”

“Yeup,” Ellipse sang, long and slow.

The siren let out a honk, like a distressed goose, and flopped. He made a show of sad bird noises and too-weak arms and sent Ellipse a long, quivery look, plastering his gills down the sides of his head.

“Why are you such a baby,” Ellipse deadpanned. Or she tried to deadpan it, at least, but deadpanning in siren meant sounding like a gross saxophone, and Ellipse did not have the vocal chords for that.

Flipping onto his back, the siren let out a wail. “I have done so much walking today!” He sent Ellipse another pitiful look, like a kitten tossed out into the rain, and shifted so he was not crushing his dorsal fin.

Ellipse neglected to point out the obvious fact that sirens were inherently incapable of walking. She flung one bag over her shoulder and swung out a hip and plastered on as menacing a glare as she could summon. “I am sorry,” she growled, “but you suggested leaving the wheelchair in the elevator, so grow up and get going.”

The siren stuck his tongue out and made a gross flubbing noise, but he pushed himself up and scooted along nonetheless. He droned a few phrases about being a grown-up already, and Ellipse gritted her teeth and tried to emanate nasty vibes. She was practically grown-up too, and no one would ever hear her complain about walking through the terminal. Then again, she was a creature made for walking.

She managed to wrench the door open despite the bags in her hands, and made a grand sweeping gesture as the siren chugged through. Alas, he did not pick up on the sarcasm and whistled a cheery little thank you as Ellipse shut the door behind them. One short, bland hallway and metal door later, the duo marched out into the S block.

Ellipse felt irritated just looking at the S block. Were it not for the fact that she was already scowling, she would have clucked her tongue and frowned, lips curled back. Instead, she shuddered and re-positioned her bags. “Alright,” she sang, “now we keep going.”

Where the passenger sections of the Fold Terminal was industrial in a hip, we-still-covered-the-pipes way, the shipping section was a disaster of metal and spray paint and soot-blackened concrete. A conveyor belt, like the ones Ellipse had seen in airport scenes in Earth movies, ran along the outer edge of the main walkway, and then circled back around on the other side. From her brief stint as a customer service girl, Ellipse remembered that the conveyor belt ran nearly a mile and a half in total length. Stretched out, it could service over half of the Fold Terminal.

Overhead and on the left flashed a small electronic board, proclaiming the occupant of dock one. The red symbols rolled across like a wave, fluid and curly, which probably meant the ship there belonged to a hydrogen floater. Their writing looked like Russian cursive, only stouter.

Ellipse sniffled with a huge gulp of air and tried to set her fists on her hips. It looked awkward, and she regretted the pose immediately, but it was too late for take-backs. “Seventy-nine, right?” she asked.

The siren nodded, his gaze fixed on the conveyor belt with the all the longing a fish would have for the water.

“We had better get moving then,” Ellipse said, and then she was off.

The pace was school-bus slow, not old-lady slow or crawling-through-traffic slow, but like someone just way too worried about a ticket. And also the lives of forty small children. The siren flopped as quickly as he could, slapping the ground with smacks so loud Ellipse worried for his palms and that place where his torso turned into tail—she was not certain if that was called the waist or the hips or something completely without translation.

Really, something should have gone wrong before Ellipse and the siren reached dock thirty-two. That walk had taken a grand total of seventeen minutes, and the siren’s face developed an odd green tinge that seemed comparable to how earthlings flushed when they got tired or talked for too long without breathing. But then the pair made it to dock forty, and then fifty, and then sixty, all without even an inkling of a hitch.

There was no way Ellipse had lost the bounty hunters just like that. As she strolled under the sign for dock seventy-one, she chanced a glance backward, but the only thing behind her was a shipment of dried blue kelp from Sirena, packaged in matching blue biodegradable crates. The crates drifted away, slow and lazy, and Ellipse wondered for a moment if the kelp had come from the Conics.

The siren noticed her staring and scoffed. “Ugh,” he groaned, sounding like a trombone with its bell chopped off. “That stuff is nasty. I do not understand how earthlings can eat it.”

Ohh. Ellipse had heard of the kelp from Sirena. Supposedly it was like a low-sodium seaweed replacement. Ellipse personally thought anyone who did not like Earth seaweed was just a coward, but dietary restrictions were a thing, and Sirena kelp was the only decent substitute for seaweed.

“We eat some Earth versions of kelp all the time,” Ellipse explained. She brought her arm up so she could nudge the sleeve back with her nose and check her watch. “It goes well with one of our primary carbohydrate sources.”

The siren gagged. “I do not understand why anyone would want to eat something that is not meat.” Carnivores had no idea what they were missing out on.

Shrugging, Ellipse made a mental note that it was ten minutes before the seventeen-hundred hour mark. The Fold would connect to the Triune System soon.

“Hey,” she called, “what system are you going to next?”

“Home, of course.” The siren trudged onward, straining his neck to look out for his dock.

Home would be the Triune System, probably. Far be it from Ellipse’s intention to assume the siren’s birthplace, though. It was not like she came from Earth.

She settled on a neutral “um” in response and followed after him, flicking her gaze up as she passed under the sign for dock seventy-three, which held an Earthling ship from Brazil. This would be the moment when things went wrong.

She happened to notice the bright white gato sitting atop the sign, because really, white did not blend in with the shadows of the ceiling or the dark cement, or anything out in space. The alien’s twin tails twitched, and then suddenly a mass of snowy fur hurtled down and collided with Ellipse’s chest.

The next moment found Ellipse on her butt, fingers sore but undamaged, and tailbone aching. She peeled her eyes open, only to find herself face-to-face with the black gato and wheelchair boy, who sat atop his adoptive parent, arms wrapped around the gato’s neck the way a child might hang onto a motor-biking daredevil mother.

“Oh, it is you again,” Ellipse grumbled. “Please leave. I have things to do.”

“Like what, leave? You realize that your timing is pretty suspicious, right? You’re practically turning yourself in.”

Ellipse flung up her hands, luggage and all. “What do you want me to do? I can show you my passport if you like.”

“Oh right, like that’s even your real-

That boy was a total asteroid, Ellipse thought. Then she whacked the black gato over the head with her luggage and scrambled for dock seventy-nine. She passed the siren along the way; he had decided to leave her behind instead of pulling his vocal trick again, the jerk, and for that Ellipse almost considered whacking him too. She managed to resist the temptation.

The door to dock seventy-nine opened at the quick press of Ellipse’s ID to the nearest scanner, and she slipped inside, dumped her luggage, and then reached out and dragged the siren in after her. He yelped in protest, but Ellipse did not care. She needed to be done with the bounty hunters. She fumbled to scan her ID again, and might have crushed the white gato’s paw when the doors finally slid shut.

“You are awful,” the siren announced.

“Oh, shut up. It is hardly my fault they think I am someone famous.”

The siren shook his head, gills flapping, and Ellipse interpreted that as his equivalent of an eye-roll. “Now then,” he said, eyes darting about the dock. The metal room was near-empty, with only a few empty biodegradable blue crates stacked in one corner. “Where is Captain Maj?”

Ellipse followed his gaze, turning to take a look at the dock, and her eyes found the ship and latched on like a barnacle. The Conics was beautiful, exactly what a nerdy mathematician would think of upon hearing the name. She was a sturdy, egg-shaped ship, with a shiny metal shell and plenty of round windows to peek through. Her engines were outlandishly large and for some reason shaped like airplane jets, and her landing gear shimmered, clean and strong and reliable.

Someone dropped out of the bridge hatch, and Ellipse held back a gasp of delight. This crew had a real live tyran! If only this had been an appropriate time for drooling.

The tyran opened its beak and let out a stream of vowels and consonants, and Ellipse let the syllables wash over her like a wave. She had always wanted to meet a tyran; they were one of the few other known species capable of learning earthling languages, and she had learned the tyran language forever ago.

“What does he want?” the siren asked.

Ellipse swooned. She was already useful. “He wants you to hurry the heck up,” she said, voice airy and dreamy, “and also he is very confused about why the custodian is here.”

“Oh, whatever.”

The tyran said a few more words, and Ellipse translated again, overflowing with glee. “He says we should have left seven minutes ago. The Fold is about to connect to-

The siren squawked, and Ellipse snatched up her belongings and rolled him to the bridge hatch. She watched the tyran lift up its crew mate, giant arms not betraying the slightest hint of strain, and let herself break into an awestruck grin. Then, once the siren was safely situated on board, the tyran stuck its head back out and poked its skinny tongue out the side of its beak.

“You want to come on, don’t you? I don’t know what Focci promised, but it’s too late to argue. Get up here. We’ll drop you on planet five.”

Biting her lips in jubilee, Ellipse held up her bags, and tittered in amazement as the tyran gripped around her waist and pulled her up. She had no idea what planet five was, but she could not find it in herself to care right now. All Ellipse cared was that she had just boarded a gorgeous ship and met one of the rarest intelligent species in the known universe.

Those bounty hunters could go to heck.

Carina wrote a review...

(a future meme wheelchair boy will send to Ellipse)

I thought this chapter started out a little slow. Half of the chapter was spent trying to get to siren's ship. I was going to suggest speeding things up with the beginning scenes, but it does draw out the slow walk visual. Plus, fluff is good for character development, and this fluff is making siren a lazy whiner who likes to play with elevators, lol. I was definitely not expecting the hunters to come back because, well, how did they know they were there? It's a big spaceship, so they really could have been anywhere.

“Of course not,” she said. “I do not lie.”

That is totally a lie. :P Ellipse is hiding somethin' and I know it.

Although this was a longer chapter, it was mostly fluff and transition to a new chapter, which isn't bad -- they're mostly needed! I have to wonder, who is this Focci person? What do tyran look like? And does Focci like focaccia bread? It is suspicious that, although Ellipse has nothing to hide, she continues to run from the hunters and quit her job. SUSPICIOUS INDEED. I also like the use of bringing a mathematical conic into the story. Though for some reason, I was imagining a cone, so I thought the ship was cone-shaped until you said it was egg-shaped. Whoops! I should really brush up on math. Though if it were cone-shaped, maybe it wouldn't affect the aerodynamics in space since, ya know, no air resistance. Is there even drag in space? Whoops, now I'm rambling... And I just realized, HAH. ELLIPSES AND CONICS.

* edit: I now realize Focci is siren (I dunno what I was thinking lol), but that still begs the question: does Focci like focaccia bread, now served with prosciutto? His name came up in chapter 3, so I'm interested how he has any relation with Tejal/wheelchair dude.

~Carina

Ventomology says...

Uhh... I'm just going to respond to everything at once?

I've actually tried a couple of different ways of denoting the interludes. What I'd like to do is actually change the font, as if the text was literally coming from a different book, but I can't really do that on YWS.

And yeah, just in general I think I could use a little more work on action scenes. You may make similar comments in the future.

Carina says...

Hey, that's a neat idea! It is possible to do this, and I've written pieces before using different fonts. The downside? It's going to have to be a picture. So you can write in Word with the font you want, then snip/screenshot it as a picture. YWS does a lovely job of making sure the picture stays in place with text. The bigger downside? Since it's a giant picture, reviewers won't be able to copy/paste, which can be annoying. But I totally think it's worth it since it would leave a lasting effect to the readers.

Also, I should probably add: if I get too silly with my replies, feel free to let me know, lol. It's hard to offend me, so no worries.

TheSilverFox wrote a review...

I have a feeling that these bounty hunters will not go to heck?

Hello! I've been reading a lot of sarcastic things so I am now in a sarcastic mood and will be a twit for the next few hundred words. Nevertheless, I find this a solid chapter. We actually get to see the Conics for the first time, and it sounds wonderful. I mean, her total willingness to enter a strange ship with strange creatures is disconcerting, even if the ship is magnificent and the occupants are sentient and rare, but I'll expect she'll be fine as long as Focci is there. He might not be happy she made him walk a mile, which is probably why he briefly abandoned her to wheelchair boy, but she's done him a favor and he'll likely be respectful to her from that point on. The tyran's (I'm guessing Captain Maj, even if I keep thinking his name is Captain Major?) respectfulness also indicates that much. Of course, I just realized that both Focci and Ellipse refer to conic sections or portion of conic sections, so please excuse me while I groan and facepalm. Also, tyran is still one letter away from tyrant, so I'm just a little suspicious. :P

Admittedly, I think I had issue with more things here than in previous chapters. I love Ellipse's evasiveness and Focci's childishness (but hey, it's not as though he can walk that easily), but I'm not sure how Ellipse's rattling off biology information answers Focci's questions. Honestly, it makes her sound more like chemistry nerd wheelchair boy (a rare sentence). Too, I'm not sure who she has to point out to that sirens can't walk; he is well aware, anyone who looks at him is well aware, and she isn't the narrator. I found the later part of the story more sensible, as you did build up a nice bit of suspense with her wondering why wheelchair boy hadn't shown up yet. However, I'd say to omit the part that explicitly states when everything went wrong, as seeing the white gato does a nice job of telling the audience this. I'm also curious as to why the white gato was the one suspended on the sign instead of the black one, since they were clearly not the best option. Maybe the white gato is better at doing that, or it was meant to catch Ellipse off guard (though the other gato could more heavily rely on the element of surprise)? Lastly, I'll admit to not knowing the meaning of "tittered," and it makes me uncomfortable every time I see that word for reasons that I hopefully don't have to explain.

Nevertheless, this was a fun chapter to read, and I look forward to seeing what exactly planet five is, when the bounty hunters will inevitably come back, and why Ellipse fudges the truth on a regular basis. Great job, especially with your worldbuilding and driving questions!

TheSilverFox says...

P.S.: I'm pretty sure Russian script is Cyrillic, though I think more people could visualize the concept of Russian script than know what Cyrillic is.

Ventomology says...

Google Russian cursive. It's hilarious. Also, to titter is to laugh or giggle, but the connotation for me usually implies kind of an overly girlish and obnoxious vibe.

Yeah, I get a little overzealous with the biochemistry in this novel. Honestly, xenobiology interests me way more than the physics of sci-fi, which is probably bad considering some of the later plot points, but I think aside from one other chapter, I do a fairly good job toning it down in later chapters.

Thanks again!

TheSilverFox says...

Russian cursive: like normal writing, but mostly incomprehensible. ;-;

I wish I had your skills in xenobiology. I've always been focused on physics and inorganic chemistry (and some quantum mechanics), so my ability to provide creative descriptions for species or create new ones is heavily lacking. XD In any case, your descriptions are fine, and I wouldn't worry about your overdoing it at this rate. I'll hopefully review the next chapter tomorrow!

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Oops, forgot to do this yesterday. Here we go again :)

Nit-picks and nice moments (I just do them by instinct) :

but only after waiting around for four minutes

Seems oddly specific. Would have expected some hyperbole here.

replicate.” tThe siren prompted.

“S-seventy-nine.”

At first I thought this was a stutter.

This is a really good mix of descriptive and humorous :P

Ellipse neglected to point out the obvious fact that sirens were inherently incapable of walking.

It doesn't know?

but it was too late for take-backs

Why exactly?

but like someone was just way too worried about a ticket.

But then the pair made it to dock forty, and then fifty, and then sixty, all without even an inkling of a hitch.

I like how you mentioned this. A lot of stories just move on without even mentioning the danger that's been escaped from.

This would be the moment when things went wrong.

I'm unsure whether she is thinking this or the narrative is saying this. I'm hoping for the former, would be a pretty jarring POV shift otherwise.

“Oh, it is you again,” Ellipse grumbled.

I'm honestly surprised how often Ellipse doesn't use contractions.

and also he is very confused about why the custodian is here.

Is the custodian Ellipse?

I'm really enjoying the way the siren and Ellipse's relationship is building up - though as I wrote this I realised it might be nice to know the siren's name :P The siren is something you'd expect to be exotic and mysterious. I really like how deadpan your making of him irritable is. I'm still not sure at what point you revealed that the boy in the wheelchair was a bounty hunter. That threw me off a bit.

The gatos seem pretty important and I'm still not totally clear what they look like. I'm pretty sure when you introduced them it was sort of taken as a given we'd know what they look like, which was immersive and fun, but I'm not sure it's worth it when they keep coming back and meaning I'm struggling to picture a couple of scenes, especially since they're so unusual.

I really like how Ellipse got so excited about this intelligent race. It was a whole new motivation for going on the ship that added depth to the whole situation.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Aley wrote a review...

Hey Ventomology,

So all in all I think that one of your strengths is your willingness and ability to create this world. It's clearly all your own and the more I read, the more I can see the subtle nuances of how you've shoved it together, and what you've done to keep it that way. I like that.

However, with that being said, this sort of has the flavor of a story with nothing to do. We're on chapter five and I'm just jumping into it, but I don't feel like anything is stable in this situation. We're just basically getting her settled in, but why do we need this chapter? What's the point of seeing all of this movement from one place to another? Why do we have to go with the siren and Ellipse to this meeting? I mean, wouldn't it be faster to skip most of this and just bump the important last bit into the next chapter?

My reading was basically cut short because I got bored with all of the descriptions of flopping fish and I just wanted to get to the action. That tells me that a large section of this narrative just needs to be trimmed out altogether.

It's a stylistic choice obviously, but one that you should consider how you want to proceed. There are two ways to write books which cover a large amount of time. A) You time skip between chapters and drop people into the action at the beginning of a chapter and change chapters when you change scenes. B) You time skip during chapters by using some paragraphs just to move from place to place.

Your book seems to be taking C) write everything. This approach is popular for some writers like Dickens but it's not that popular today. They had made it popular by paying authors by word in magazines. Publication houses bought by word. Now they don't, and shorter, more condensed novels are usually considered better than others.

All in all, I really like the tone of the novel, and I think you're doing something interesting, if not a bit fandomy, with your story's narrative so far, but the biggest problem you have is the empty transition space in this chapter. It honestly lost my interest and curiosity.

I hope to see more of the action of this novel in another chapter!

Ventomology says...

Err... I'm not a hundred percent sure what you're telling me here? Did I bog down the action too much? Because that's definitely a thing I have to work on.

Either way, thanks for giving this a read!

Aley says...

Well, kind of? I mean, the action isn't in the movement from place to place, it is whenever we get somewhere, but you have the characters moving slowly and you follow them through from point to point showing us everything. I think that was the hard part for my attention. I mean, it just seemed like an unnecessarily long time going from one place to the other.

Ventomology says...

Ohh, okay. I get what you mean. Thanks for clearing that up!

Aley says...

Anytime!

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, Ventomology! Happy Review Day. :)

There are a few areas where rewording could make the work smoother to read. This isn't a major problem, it would just help the flow which felt a little jumpy at times. I've taken two sentences from the start as an example.
And Ellipse passed by his place every time she used the actually-normal elevator in the staff housing block. Is 'actually' necessary? I don't think it is, since you've probably established earlier on that there's a 'not-normal' way to get from A to B.
But only after waiting around for four minutes while he played with the gravity change between the higher floors. Though 'for four' makes sense, it does sound repetitive. You can get rid of the 'around for' as it isn't necessary.

making sure that the part she spoke in English was the “mitochondria are the powerhouse of the earthling cell” bit
This was very relatable, which I guess was something you did on purpose. That's probably all I learned in biology as well. :P This whole scene, though, stood out to me. The siren, though he didn't seem to be a particularly important character, played an important part in developing Ellipse. It showed me how cunning she is, and how much she wanted to be there.

Where the passenger sections of the Fold Terminal was industrial in a hip, we-still-covered-the-pipes way, the shipping section was a disaster of metal and spray paint and soot-blackened concrete.
Another thing which stood out to me was your brilliant descriptions. They're the strongest part of this, simple yet elegant. They painted a good picture in my mind.

The tyran opened its beak and let out a stream of vowels and consonants, and Ellipse let the syllables wash over her like a wave.
I would like some indication of the tone the tyran is using- happy, sad, annoyed, welcoming? I thought it was annoyed, but I wasn't quite sure, so some sort of pointer would be useful.

So those are my thoughts as I read. Overall, I loved your plot, characters and description. The suggestion I'd give is to make sure that each sentence flows smoothly. Thanks for sharing!

Ventomology says...

Shoot those are pretty awkward. Thanks for the pointers! I'll get around to fixing them once I have a computer and not a little phone keyboard.

And thanks for giving this a read! Hope your review day was a blast!

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6