z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Oh Beautiful Ones

by Gravity


The cruel laughs echo through your ears
they twist their way through our heads
they worm their way into our hearts,
until we fall into our roles, playacting
broken hearts and shattered glass
the facade becoming one with our essence.

The lines on the computer screen
burn tattoos on the backs of our eyelids
reflecting light that was supposed to shine through the darkness
to help us connect, but the solitude
collapses our lungs and squeezes our hearts
with relentless hands
and breathless oxygen.

We claw at our deformed blemishes
constrict our bodies
smear paint on our faces
even allowing the glint of a knife
to cut into our skin to alter
everything the world hates about us.

Oh beautiful ones.
Cover your mirrorsĀ 
shatter the image of perfection as you know it
see yourself as a person, not a number
as a soul, not a blemish
as a human being, not a mistake
waiting to be erased from the test
that we all fail if we look too closely.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 3562
Reviews: 55

Donate
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm
Silberfee says...



Intricately detailed but I'm not so sure about the third stanza, is it alluding to people blinding themselves into believing their portrayal of themselves as someone who leading a perfect, enviable life? But then if that is what is intended what is the parallel to 'constrict our bodies?' it sounds like one is being physically crushed but it isn't very clear how that is related to the second stanza.

The first stanza doesn't flow to the second stanzas.

In general I think you could use less visual imagery as its strong use is too vague and I don't see how it relates to reality. But your strong use shows you have a strong imagination and potential in creative writing. Apart from its vagueness and lack of flow I love the poem.




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 3562
Reviews: 55

Donate
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm
Silberfee wrote a review...



Intricately detailed but I'm not so sure about the third stanza, is it alluding to people blinding themselves into believing their portrayal of themselves as someone who leading a perfect, enviable life? But then if that is what is intended what is the parallel to 'constrict our bodies?' it sounds like one is being physically crushed but it isn't very clear how that is related to the second stanza.

The first stanza doesn't flow to the second stanzas.

In general I think you could use less visual imagery as its strong use is too vague and I don't see how it relates to reality. But your strong use shows you have a strong imagination and potential in creative writing. Apart from its vagueness and lack of flow I love the poem.




User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:24 pm
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Gravity,

There's keen observances of feeling here and for that I think many who read this will find it relatable. There are two main ideas expressed [1.) isolation which is the detailings of the first half, and 2.) the second half which explores physical insecurities and the beautiful ones.

I can't really see how the first idea has much to do with the second idea, except in my mind perhaps sequentially, the second idea leads into the first?

A person first feels insecurity and then from there, feels socially ostracized because of it? Yet, the poem doesn't play out in this order so I cannot easily make out this connection. When I read about the voices chastising the narrator, there is no context built here.

I do not know why the voices mock. Similarly I do not know who "the beautiful ones" are. Am I to assume it refers to a group outside of the "we", which the narrator has defined are those who feel insecure and isolated? Execution may need some work as the two ideas don't transition too well at this stage.

The first half expresses this narrator vulnerable to cruel laughter and so seeking refuge behind a computer screen which, for the narrator seems to act as a social outlet and ironically, one of isolation. [This is my interpretations, take with it as you will!] The concept here is interesting even on its own yet we start off with voices personifying "us" as though reader and narrator are a cohesive unit, but we do not end here.

The point of view and voice switches in the second half, (notice the narrator speaking to the beautiful ones: "cover /your/ mirror") along with the topic itself (physical beauty now and not social anxieties as a whole). The two different ideas get muddled due to this.

It is not so much that a poem cannot jump around from idea to idea, or switch viewpoints, these methods are great tools to certain effects, however, I feel the focus of the piece isn't quite there.

Does the narrator talk ABOUT these ideas, or does the narrator wish for the reader to emphasize with the narrator's plight, to fill inside the narrator's shoes and experience the insecurities, demons, skeletons, voices... but it reads more like the former and not the later.

Nevertheless, the ideas here are deep. They are profound and the sentiments are there to be felt. As always, I only like to pick on the space for improvements so I can chat this out any time and brainstorm with you for editing just let me know.

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 47
Reviews: 45

Donate
Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:19 am
Queenie wrote a review...



WOW, I LOVED THIS POEM!!!! Honestly, this is one of the best poems I've read in a while, so good job. I really liked the message that you sent through this poem, and I think that many people can relate to it. I also liked how you put the reader into the poem, I think that made it a more effective piece of poetry. I also liked all the description you added, it really made this a beautiful poem. I only have one suggestion, and that would be to change the your in the first line to our because you said our every other time so I think that it would make it flow better. All in all, I think that you did an amazing job, and I am very excited to read your future works.




User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 627
Reviews: 79

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:54 pm
CateRose17 wrote a review...



Ummmm holy cow, my friend. This was an amazing piece of poetry. Like the prior reviewer said:" it means different things to different people." And I LOVE that about this certain piece. Ugh... it's just so good. Your words are like gentle-yet powerful- and strong brush strokes on a canvas, painting a meaningful message. And you're right, there is no perfect person and EVERYONE fails the test of life. But that's just apart of the majestic beauty of it. Extremely, incredibly well done. You've touched me.




User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 794
Reviews: 68

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:57 pm
Midnightmoon wrote a review...



"Oh my gosh" That is what I said when I finished reading this beautiful poem. It is strong! All the verses just leap out at you! I honestly have no corrections to make.

"The cruel laughs echo through your ears
they twist their way through our heads
they worm their way into our hearts,
until we fall into our roles, playacting
broken hearts and shattered glass
the facade becoming one with our essence."

I like how this verse (in fact the whole poem) means different things to different readers. I think that this verse is the strongest though. Amazing job!





Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter