12+

i am unafraid to die

by Evander

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm
Virgil wrote a review...

This is Nikayla here for a review!

Seeing as you said you would write a poem when I went to bed, I assume this is the one. I'm going to go ahead and tackle this since I think it's something interesting, and because it's your poem. The first thing that I noticed about the poem is that you use graphics and text to your advantage here, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I would have liked to see more of it used with more meaning behind it rather than it just being used? There also seems to be a bit of an abundance of it and I think you can trim some of it out to make the poem stronger because, for me, it's distracting me from the actual reading.

That doesn't mean that I disliked all of it, because I enjoyed the usage of the graphics with the fingerprints and the 'open' and 'closed' thing that you did. It definitely feels like a rollercoaster of a poem, but let's delve further into the actual content. The voice of the poem is something that's quite apparent to me, and I can tell that it's your poetry, because it has a bit of a lack of structure? It's rather chaotic and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I would like a stronger focus here. You jump from thing to thing, like with the open and closed going to the mist clouding on the speaker's skin.

The part that I also thought was clever was your usage of darkness and then the metal beams because it definitely gives the feel of going on a rollercoaster and the anxiety that comes with it. At the same time, the poem has a lack of focus which is probably the biggest weakness that I found here. I want more of a focus on the meaning, what are you trying to portray or get across? Because right now, it's hard to tell. I found the ending the most lackluster, but it is something that I'd expect from you. The reason why I'm not all that fond of it is because it's so abrupt.

I'm not saying that it's always a bad thing, but I don't think it's used correctly here. Maybe if the ride screeches to a halt or some other thing of that sort would make for a stronger ending. I'm iffy on the imagery that you use in this piece because it hops around a little bit, and it didn't feel as strong as it could be. I suggest using more sensory details, and maybe define the feeling of anxiety instead of just using the word. Is it a bowling ball sitting in your stomach? A jittery feeling you can't shake? Explain it. Define it. Give the poem more of a focus and work on the structure, and I think you have something here.

I hope I helped and have a great day! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Evander says...

Thanks for the review, Kayla!

As for what I was trying to portray and get across, I'm a bit... not sure of that myself? When I was walking out of Universal Studios, my big thought was mostly the difference between my first ride on the roller coaster and my last one -- I stopped really feeling anything.

I'm so literal that I find it hard to write poetry sometimes, haha. I'm not really sure... how to go into more sensory detail? I found myself at a loss for trying to describe the bars overhead that were secured against my chest. I ended up staring at the screen, blankly, because I wasn't sure how to really explain it further and define it more.

For me, anxiety is not being able to breathe, my heart racing, my thoughts disconnected and wilds/my arms shaking but my brain working in overdrive to keep my thoughts coherent (you've seen both sides of that, haha), it's very much something that... the roller coaster really stole away in its movements? It spun so much that I couldn't breathe, my heart was already racing, my brain was distracting myself with rap music until it ended. It felt like I have no movement to be jittery.

Then I rode again.
And I was fine.
I can't remember if my chest was beating, but the absence of that awareness was dully shocking. I can't remember if my lungs stopped working when I went upside down. I can remember looking at the water. It was just... that. I don't know how to really expand on that.

You jump from thing to thing, like with the open and closed going to the mist clouding on the speaker's skin.

The open and closed thing was really literal too, haha. My eyes were opened, then they were closed, closed, closed, open. I saw the water below me and felt the mist clouding on my skin. Then my eyes remained closed. Although given the fact that I felt the need to explain that, I should probably rework the poem to make that more evident.

Once again, thank you so much for the review!

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:13 am
GoldenQuill wrote a review...

Hey Castor! It's Quill, here with a quick review. I'm usually a bit nitpicky, so I'll dive into that.

I feel like punctuation changed around the second section -- it just isn't as cleanly punctuated as the rest. Also, you're missing an 'e' in 'anyone' right next to the fingerprints.

That being said, I really enjoyed this piece. I loved how "this. won't. happen. again." was not only the speaker's decision (probably not to face the fear willingly again), but also foreboding on how the speaker never will feel that feeling again. I think in your second section (I'm sorry, not sure what to call them -- they're separated by the single dashes in your poetry), the line before "no drums to beat." may read better if the period after 'save' was turned into a comma. It sort of gives this... added weight, or finality. I don't quite know how to describe it.

I really enjoyed the pictures that went along with your poetry. The play with the colors and the fingerprints and all. It's all very enjoyable and nice.

I really liked the allusion to rollercoasters, as that's something quite relatable. It's very interesting.

You did a great job on this piece. Very enjoyable.

Always keep writing!

Evander says...

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson