Odyssey of Strife: Ch 1, Heroic Squealing

by Zolen

The city is burning.

The agonizing cries of pain that fill the city horrify me and drives a sense of self awareness into myself that I had never felt before. Beyond the agony of the world around me, I look at myself in a shattered mirror. My skin had been burnt black. Rather than bubbling, peeling away, or even getting scratched, it is like my skin was painted a jet black. My eyes seem to have been changed as well. Rather than damaged, I would most assuredly call it changed. My dark brown iris had changed for a glowing yellow, the whites of my eyes a coal black, cracks networking like thick veins to hint at an inner, yellow glow.

Before I could really question my new form, a memory starts swarming in my head- a simple spark, hovering in my view, waiting for something. I was not alone, plenty of people were around just as surprised as me, yet none were as close to this odd, floating spark as me. Then through some temptation I could not have named, I had reached out for it. A wall of fire expanded out, vaporizing everyone within my view.

It suddenly clicks in my mind. What ever changed me had killed everyone close to me. Those cries I hear all around me. The pain and agony all around me.

It’s all my fault.

Even if I could not be blamed for the weapon, as ignorant as a infant, I still had pushed my hands in it. I still had activated whatever it was.

I start laughing, a pained, insane laugh brought about by absolute self hate and despair.

As days pass and the city calms, it's realized that many other cities around the world suffered this same major event, a wave of energy that destroyed anyone and anything nearby and heavily mutilated those lucky enough to survive a city wide disaster. A picture formed in the survivors minds, like they were gifted with a object for their revenge.

Pictures are drawn, funerals are prepared, and a mass of bounties are spread across the world. Each one is marked with not only with a dead or alive label, but a new name to mark the criminals. A wave of death followed by a insane laugh filled the city as I was 'born', so they have named me The Laughing Death.

---------------->

7 Years later

---------------->

Wanted dead or alive.

The Mute Siren

The Mad Lich

The Terror of Light

The bounties dramatically proclaimed them as city sweepers, listing a horrifyingly high bounty of one Alexandrite for them.Just to keep myself in perspective, I look around the building I’m in, a place filled with the smell of fresh baked bread, dedicated to showing off various confectioneries. There was no room for people in here, the counter and kitchen filled out the entire building, leaving only a small bit of space at the front so that people could come in to take a order. All of the food my eyes glanced over at most were three milky quartz coins. Most people could live a week on 15 coins. One Alexandrite coin is worth a billion milky quartz.

I could buy small country with that much money, and every single one of these city sweepers were worth at least one Alexandrite.

I shift through one bounty posted to the next, oddly colored super beings drawn on each poster. Occasionally I would see someone walking by the shop through a window on the building's door, and I would rush out trying to drag them in to buy something.

It’s my job to get people to come in, attract attention as an innocent, little 14 year old girl.

I wanted to actually bake all sorts of sweets, but the old man running the place is too stubborn- those fires didn’t hurt anyone.

“Who the heck named all these guys? It’s so cheesy.” I say out loud after I successfully coerced a customer into buying ten loaves of bread.

“Brat, those are poetic.” A old voice sounded outside of my view

“Pathetic?” I say innocently.

“Bah, weren't you supposed to be attracting customers?” He grumbled, a old yet strong looking man who looked more fit for war then baking walked out holding up a massive loaf of bread. He is the closest thing I have to a grandpa, and way better than my lousy parents. As soon as he saw me sitting on the counter, he looked like he was planning to throw me out the door of the shop, so I quickly jumped off the counter and ran over to the door myself.

I bet I could trick him into running out.

“I just got you, like, ten sales, Gramps, the least you could do is let me read.” I say, waving the bounties to express my interest.

“Where did you even get those anyway?” He said, sighing, not even bothering to come over.

I should have taunted him a bit, boo.

“Oh, I just found them on the ground.” I say, and Gramps walks away, clearly not believing me.

I stole them from a bounty hunter who was bragging to me. In our small town, there was a place simply called the bounty house. If someone was strong enough, and didn’t want to live on daily work like the rest of of the people in this town, they go there and pick up a job.

Kill some things, find a pet, look for missing property.

If you do enough of that, the bounty house will give you a massive stack of bounties listing all those city sweepers. It’s not like the bounty hunter was a bad guy, but only bounty hunters can get a whole stack of these without paying something. It’s not like I hurt him or anything.

I look out the door, planning to pretend my part as a greeter, and see a strange, black man.

Not the browns of southern humans kind of black, or the grey black of the dark elves, but a solid jet black. The coarse texture on his skin made him look like he was some sort of burn victim, but burns wouldn’t create that kind of black. More than that, burns wouldn’t make someone's eyes like his. They are same kind of pure black as his skin, with glowing, yellow irises, like his insides are glowing with energy.

That reminds me.

I flip through my pile of bounties and spot a picture of someone just like him.

The Laughing Death

Twenty Alexandrite.

Twenty billion milky quartz.

Heroically, I jump over the counter while squealing.

I can squeal heroically.

It’s a talent.

“What’s wrong?” Gramps yells, running in before he can even register where I am, his eyes are on the Laughing Death.

I hope he doesn't have a heart attack.

Please no.

“Sorry for scaring the girl.” The Laughing Death says in a polite and calm voice that starkly contrast his dramatic appearance. “I’d like to buy a dozen donuts please.”

Murderers buy donuts?

I figure they would drink the blood of their victims or something.

“R-right. No problem.” Grandpa says.

So brave.

I carefully grab a sword under the counter and jump up, pointing it at him, just so he knows not to do anything stupid.

I just did something stupid. Why would someone like the Laughing Death feel threatened by an iron sword?

Thankfully, Grandpa and the twenty billion milky quartz bounty ignore me, and the jet black man walks out of the bakery after paying for his snacks.

“Marie Strider.” Grandpa says in a angry tone.

Okay, looks like he noticed what I just did.

“Grandpa, I just-” Grandpa stops me mid-excuse, pressing down on my shoulder and staring me hard in the eyes. I stare back at him, but I can’t look him in the eye; I know that was stupid. He shoves a pile of milky quartz coins into my hands after a minute of silence.

“Stay home for awhile” He finally says, letting go of my shoulder, taking the iron sword from my hand.

“What?! Please don’t fire me, Grandpa!” I shout, preparing my best begging face.

“Marie…” Grandpa says, staring at the door. “Just wait a while. Please.”

Why is he…

“You’ve never left this town before, there are all sorts of rich brats who would kill you just for looking at them funny. So rich that nobody can stop them even if they steal your lover and burn down your house. That monster is far worse than some rich brat.” Grandpa mutters.

Oh. Bad Marie.

“Please, just go.” He says, turning around and heading into the kitchen.

Okay, I can’t let Grandpa suffer for what I did, I need to find out what that guy is going to do. I know this town like the back of my hand, it shouldn’t be too hard to find him. I’ve read all sorts of spy novels, following someone shouldn’t be too hard.

I hope. 

Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 am
Sujana says...

Al-righty. I said I felt as if I did you some injustice, and I've returned to answer questions in order to correct such injustice. Sorry for the crappy review, hopefully this time I'll be clearer.

(Yes I'm reviewing this twice. This time more direct bullet point questions. Don't judge me.)

P.S If you read the beginning, you in theory should have a very clear idea about where his name comes from. It has nothing to do with his powers.

The Laughing Death activated some odd light that appeared near him, everyone in the city died, and then after he processed what happened he broke and started laughing. Thanks to magic super powers making the laugh really loud, mixed with the timing, he got that title.

Any advice on how i could make that clearer would be nice.

The italicized part sort of confirmed the theory I had in my review where I initially thought "the laughing death just makes the person so flabbergasted that they start laughing maniacally" so if you want more input, I think you executed it well enough. Sharpen what you have but don't cut it out entirely, it's already on track. Sorry for giving the impression otherwise, I had the idea but I was questioning the concept as a whole.

1.) Under 2000 words, so that people are more inclined to read and review it. -top priority

Not a bad idea, but when push comes to shove you could always just chop the chapter into bits and pretend it's another chapter. Not exactly the best way to go about things though, so if you want to start trimming, just a bit of advice--consider everything that doesn't relate to the main plotline expendable. But don't delete them willy-nilly. If you like certain sentences that are just a bit flowery and only serve a tangential purpose, save them in another file and delete them in your main story. Trust me, it'll save you the trouble when you realize you might need it again.

Things to trim out might include flowery language (why use a sentence of description when you only need a word?), certain dialogue that goes nowhere (small talk is what I'm thinking, but some small talk serve a good purpose in character building) and etc.. But generally speaking the best way to know what to cut and what not to cut is to ask "Does this serve a purpose to the story?" and "Is that purpose necessary?" This might seem a little obvious to you, but trust me, it's easy to get attached to a phrase or two that might not follow those two questions.

2.) Give basic idea of the Laughing Death as someone unstable, detached, and if possible hint at his habit to laugh when stressed or unsure about something. (failed at last one)

Unstable and detached may seem a little far-off, but I can get laughing in stressed situations. I mean, in this chapter the Death seemed to buy donuts with a calm and collected appearance, so he doesn't seem detached or unstable. Detached, maybe if you stretch it, but unstable might not be it.

3.) Present Marie as incredibly impulsive. (yes)

The sword event, yes, and a lot of other things too. Good job on that part.

4.) Give the reader lots of impressions that the laughing death is like a burn victim, or has skin textured like coal, in order to give readers a beginning false impression of his powers without actually showing them. (I saw no comments on his powers, so no idea)

"My skin had been burnt black. Rather than bubbling, peeling away, or even getting scratched, it is like my skin was painted a jet black."

I'd imagine coal to be a little rough, but as you paint it I imagined his skin to be like crude oil, considering you say it doesn't peel away or bubble or anything. I mean you do say black, I grant you that, but instead of mentioning what it isn't it's worth just saying his skin was cracked and jet black (not in my words, of course, but you get the point.)

5.) Give Marie room to show how capable she is at reading people despite her age, which she learned thanks to her job of trying to get people into the bakery. This skill will be the key to most of her later heroics. (I ended up messing up and not including this, and my short term hints at it were mistaken for something bad, need to fix that)

May or may not be your first idea since it's sort of obvious, but linking this part to number 2 (that being the Laughing Death is detached and unstable) is a good idea. Like, the Death looks calm but Marie can tell from the way his eyes sort of glance around nervously and how his hands shake when taking the donuts that he's anxious of something. Strike two birds with one stone.

6.) Make sure the reader realizes that the old baker is like a grandfather, rather then actually being one. If possible make hints at how she ended up working there in the first place. If not try to reflect on it after 4-5 chapters, in order to give a even better idea on Marie's nature that can not be shown in the present tense events of the story. (failed)

Not sure about this one yet. I stand by what I said about the grumpy grandpa stereotype, but I've warmed up to the character archetype. Hey, I've written plenty of grumpy grandpas, I can't hate on them. But the way to make a character like that likeable is to give him a good, grinding dialogue, the sort that calls out things the other characters may not even realize. Alternatively, a good and sad backstory scarcely ever fails, and the story of how Marie worked there could be that interesting backstory.

7.) Present grandfather figure as a wise old wannabe poet. (didn't show at all)

Unfortunately I concur. I mean, that explains why he thinks the stupid names were 'poetic' (did he make those names?) but I sort of read that as an old guy calling out the young'ins for being dense or something. Actually, if you could make that part of the dialogue and have Marie reply with "Well, it's more poetic than anything you'll ever write" or something else incredibly condescending, and have the grandpa reply, it'd actually make good dialogue between the two that also serves as characterization for the grandpa (and to some extent Marie).

8.) End chapter on a childish sense of responsibility and consequences, reason and logic would be weird out of a 14 year olds mind given her planned impulsiveness. (yes)

Yeah. Pretty much, yeah.

Also, extra--I just realized I wanted to ask about the background. The worldbuilding in general seems confusing, as obviously the characters act like they're in a modern age, but the premise sounds incredibly fantasy medieval-ish and the sword doesn't help. It's very blurry here, but since you didn't mention it on your to-do list I imagine it's something for the other chapters. Still, it's best to establish it as early as possible, at least in my opinion.

Sorry for the other crappy review,

--Elliot.

Zolen says...

The titles are listed on a bounty, names thought up by the countries that sent out the bounties. In order to make the targets more memorable, many of the bounties in this world are given a dramatic, childish or insulting titles that has something to do with their first major act that got them marked as bounty.

The details of how fantasy and modern concepts mash I intend to show mostly in the second chapter. But if you want a hint now, my stance on magic in most stories is that the convenience of it is detrimental to scientific advancement.

For example to explain the sword; in this story, because of how easy it is for people to become powerful through magic attack wise, they didn't advance very far weapons wise. Guns exist, but they are basically tiny cannons as far as complexity, single shot weapons that are mostly owned by hobbyist. A few other things have been advanced or slowed down because of their environment, but that will be explained and shown later.

Thank you for the extra thoughts and suggestions. Both your reviews are very helpful to me, so don't worry.

P.s In reply to your other review, I call little kids brats -like its their name- all the time.

Zolen says...

P.s I try to imply his powers by how he looks, a human shaped piece of black ash, and his name a consequence of the timing of his depressed laugh.

Zolen says...

p.s.s If you dislike milky quartz, and I rather keep the economy based on gems, which most common gem do you think would work better?

Sujana says...

Actually, milky quartz was a joke more or less, a well-executed one. Again, I did say it wasn't my best review, which is why I tried to make up for it (hopefully this time it was better, but really it depends on you).

Also, the whole idea of magic delaying technology because it makes things more convenient thus making science nearly obsolete is...actually genius. Like, genuinely genius, that's a great idea--I don't know if I've ever seen it before, really. You could base an entire series of novels entirely on that premise alone without any other external plot contrivances, and you probably have, but hey.

Also, if you say brats then brats it is. Some things are subjective, I personally think that part sticks out because I've never heard it used in a serious context, but if it works it works.

Zolen says...

@Sacredlege The harshest thing you said was: "and I'll admit that I am. Just a little bit interested, that is." Which was fair enough, no matter what I write, everyone has their preferences. I am thankful for the effort you put into the first and second, they are more detailed and helpful then most reviews I get.

As for the magic stifling tech thing. It doesn't have to be better, nor make magic obsolete, it just have to make people complain less.

Most fantasy worlds, even if they have been active way longer then our real world, tend to be stuck in the ye olde times (what I call that whole idealized medieval thing). So it's not a unique concept, everyone's humored it, just few go into detail about it. Harry Potter, that movie/book everyone loves makes it quite clear that magic is why all the wizards live perpetually in the dark ages while life goes on for all the normal humans. The more convenient the magic, the further back they are stuck technologically. Pretty much every core invention in human history was inspired by something they needed. Something they were not satisfied with. With magic, the more uses people can find in their everyday lives, the less likely they will advance.

Say there is such a thing as people who can magic heal everyone. Even if they are rare, because of this convenience, the medical field would hardly advance beyond basic home remedies. The concept of hygiene for wounds might have never caught on. So many other wonderful concepts we have like vaccines would never have existed. All because there is a magic way out. It might not be easy to take advantage of, but its still going to slow down the advancement of medicine.

Say there was some magic rock that held heat in and radiated it out later on. Suddenly, the concept of air conditioning, a wonder of modern times is a heck of a lot less likely to ever happen. Even if this rock, when used creatively is just barely better then a fire place.

Sorry for rambling.

Zolen says...

science obsolete*

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm
Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi, Zolen! Mage here to do the promised review! So let's get to it, shall we?

Like always, I am in love with your writing. It's engaging and entertaining, and it's always fun seeing what plot twists you come up with along the way. This story has a lot of potential, and I had a lot of fun reading it. The one overall problem I had with it was that you didn't make it clear when you transitioned from The Laughing Death's perspective to Marie's - I only picked up on it after Marie makes a comment about being a fourteen year old girl. I would suggest including names at the beginning of each section, or something to make it more clear when revising. But other than that, there's just a couple of nitpicks.

Now onto the specifics!

The city is burning.

This was a great way to hook the reader. The paragraph below it also kept me engaged from the minute I started reading. So awesome job there!

My skin had been burnt black. Rather than bubbling, peeling away, or even getting scratched, it is like my skin was painted a jet black.

The second "black" sounds repetitive, though I can't suggest a way to remove it. If possible, I would suggest changing the two sentences to somehow convey the same point without being repetitive, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

What ever changed me had killed everyone close to me.

There shouldn't be a space between "What" and "ever".

---------------->
7 Years later
---------------->

I really like how you formatted that. ^_^

The bounties dramatically proclaimed them as city sweepers, listing a horrifyingly high bounty of one Alexandrite for them.Just to keep myself in perspective, I look around the building I’m in, a place filled with the smell of fresh baked bread, dedicated to showing off various confectioneries.

There should be a space after the period that's right before "Just".

While writing, I suggest you write out fourteen rather than putting it as the actual number. It's jarring to the reader, and breaks the flow of your story.

There's the two problems with this. The simpler one is that you forgot a period after "view". The other one is about dialogue and dialogue tags. You do this in other places during the chapter, so I thought I should go into a little bit of an explanation. There should be a comma after "poetic" rather than a period, and "A" should be lowercased. You do this every time someone is speaking in the dialogue tags.

“Bah, weren't you supposed to be attracting customers?” He grumbled, a old yet strong looking man who looked more fit for war then baking walked out holding up a massive loaf of bread.

The "H" in "He" should be lowercased for the reasons mentioned in the last comment.

“I just got you, like, ten sales, Gramps, the least you could do is let me read.”

To avoid keeping this sentence as a run-on, change the comma after "Gramps" to a period or a semi-colon.

You use present tense in the rest of the story, so "said" should be "says".

I can squeal heroically.

It’s a talent.

This definitely is one of my favorite parts in the chapter. It's humorous, and humor definitely is one of your strong points while writing. Comments like these always make me really enjoy your stories.

I’ve read all sorts of spy novels, following someone shouldn’t be too hard.

There should be a semi-colon or period after "novels" instead of a comma. You can also keep the comma and add "so" after it.

I'm sorry if my review seemed harsh in any way. That wasn't my intention whatsoever; I had fun reading this! If you have any questions about what I said, please ask and I'll clear things up! Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors! Have a wonderful day/night! ^_^

Zolen says...

Thank you for your thoughts, and for pointing out grammar errors for me. This will be helpful when I revise the chapter.

Have a nice day as well!

Sujana wrote a review...

Welp, that's enough dilly-dallying for today. Time to get into the review.

I'm not going into too much detail (I say this now but I guarantee you my past self is probably lying) so you know who I am, you know what I do (when I'm not ironically thinking about Jesus) and here's the sum-up.

Good Things

Premise

So yeah, you linked me to this because you thought I would be tangentially interested in it, and I'll admit that I am. Just a little bit interested, that is. I find the idea of exploding monstrosities with charred skin being a thing, and being hunted down for vast quantities of currency. I have yet to see the main conflict, as I only have the faintest idea what our dear Marie is going to do and what she wants to do. And that's something I'll talk about later, but the idea of a Laughing Death is interesting.

If I have any objections, it'd probably lie in the very name of the thing--as in, does every single person who suffers from the Laughing Death laughs after they incinerate everything in the vicinity? Or are they just prone to laughing insanity, thus giving the thing its name? If the latter is true, it'd certainly be an...interesting example of nomenclature. I would've used "Non-Suicide Bomber" or "Charred Child" or something, but maybe I'm missing something. Maybe something else is going on with the laughing that I haven't seen, who knows.

Description

Your description in the beginning of the Laughing Death, and the subsequent descriptions, are quite on point. To dissect one part:

My skin had been burnt black. Rather than bubbling, peeling away, or even getting scratched, it is like my skin was painted a jet black. My eyes seem to have been changed as well. Rather than damaged, I would most assuredly call it changed. My dark brown iris had changed for a glowing yellow, the whites of my eyes a coal black, cracks networking like thick veins to hint at an inner, yellow glow.[/u]

I liked how you emphasized how the change that's occuring in the moment isn't the shattering of this person, or the breaking of this person, but of a much more terrifying transformation. You have a clear image of what's going on just by reading this, and since then the reader has a good grasp of what to imagine afterwards. Well done.

Introduction

This is probably the high point of the whole chapter, and the thing that I liked it for. Without any context, it's difficult to charge anything in your beginning emotionally, and usually the way to do it is by making a striking image that doesn't need prior backstory to be emotionally impactful. The art of photography or cinematography is useful in this matter, and I think this scene in particular would make a good picture or film scene. A person, laughing at all the death and destruction around them, perhaps crying in between. Very evocative.

Unfortunately, that's the peak for me.

Questionable Content

Not Entirely Important Things

-Marie is 14-years old? And she's working for her grandpa? And she's supposed to be attracting customers?...Why do I have an icky feeling right now?

-I'm sorry, I can't take milky quartz as a real currency, no matter what. It sounds more like a Chinese Mars bars ripoff than money, but what do I know?

-

"Welp, now the audience knows my main character's name. That was easy. *checks off to-do list*" That's what I imagined when I read that, sorry. This is probably the iffy point for me, because I have a problem when I can see the strings on the puppets, you know? It doesn't make me believe that these are words coming out of a characters' mouth, I see it as obvious exposition from a distant author trying to throw out all the information quickly. I mean, it would've been humorous if, like, the name was five names long. "Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios Ponte y Blanco!" Also, it would help if the characters spoke more naturally, or at least felt more organic.

Which brings me to,

Characters (Mostly Dialogue, but the Occasional Gibberish About Archtype)

Archtypes aren't bad things, obviously, but I prefer them with a little bit of flavor. Actually, no, that's the standard for me--an archtype that doesn't have a solid character or at the very least a few memorable quirks defeats the point for me. Yeah, you have your characters that aren't entirely important and it doesn't hurt if they're flat, but no matter what I want to feel like there's more of a story behind all the characters. I want to feel like these characters have lives, even if I don't get to see it. Unfortunately, I barely feel that for any character here, even the ones that are supposed to be important.

So far the most developed person I can tell is Marie, and I still have no idea what her personality is like, what her motivations are and why I should be rooting for her. Her POV voice tells me a bit of how quirky she is, but other than that all I know about her is she's a 14-year old working for her grandfather and...I guess hangs out with dangerous bounty hunters? Could that be a hint to a much more developed character? Eh, maybe, I'll give you that point.

The least developed, and probably most annoying character for me was the Grandpa character. And I know, I know you're probably going to say "Oh, he isn't at all important, I don't need to think about him that much" but one, he's the main characters' grandfather and thus their relationship is a building block for Marie, and two the grandfather character sort of desecrates the high-point of the previous chapter for being so stale. He sounds like a pixel-graphic RPG villager, by the way he talks--

“Brat, those are poetic.”

Maybe I could forgive this one if 'brat' was moved to the end of the sentence, but I don't believe anybody, no matter how old, actually calls other people 'brat'. Describe other people, yeah, but it isn't exactly the most shining insult you can use.

“Bah, weren't you supposed to be attracting customers?”

Bah? Bah. Okay, bah. I mean, I understand it if it was a script medium, or again a game, but in the writing medium you can just describe the word 'bah'. In fact, you already did by saying 'grumbled' so now it's just redundant to me.

And then, despite his grumpy introduction, he suddenly becomes fearful of the Laughing Death. Understandable, but still:

“R-right. No problem.” Grandpa says.

This line just doesn't fit in with the voice you established beforehand. It's way too weak to be the grumpy and defiant voice you set up, and granted if you developed it better this could be a good insight to his character--he's rude to his granddaughter but polite and anxious to everybody else. But again, I don't feel that being developed at all.

And ultimately, the inconsistency flexibility of his character makes his earlier conversation with Marie, however clever her retorts are, feel like I'm watching someone throw a ball on a wall. Conversations, at least the good character-building type, should be like car crashes or sword fights; I have an idea of how horribly it'll end, but I still don't know how exactly the characters will clash and I want to see that happen. When building Marie's character, which is shallowly quirky but has a sort of punch to it, with Grandpa's, whose basically a brick wall NPC character, I'm not interested because I know Grandpa isn't going to say anything interesting or challenge Marie at all. He'll just whine a bit, but ultimately there's no substance to his replies, not even the sort of substance that suggests he's a bit blunt. And thus, the voidness of his character rubs off on Marie, who I think could've been interesting if her grandfather was a little more interesting as well.

If you're asking, no, I'm not going to talk about the Laughing Death, because I don't think that would be fair. I'm criticizing the characters I feel I already have a grasp of, and while their traits could easily change by the end of the story, that's just how I feel about them now. I haven't really seen the Laughing Death other than from an imagery perspective, so I don't know how he'll compare. He's looking very promising, though, and definitely mysterious, so there's that.

And that's my thoughts on the work. Overall, I liked it, though only barely. There are a lot of things that irk me, and that just might be me, but I hope that you can sharpen and edit it a bit to make it better.

--Elliot.

Zolen says...

"Marie is 14-years old? And she's working for her grandpa? And she's supposed to be attracting customers?...Why do I have an icky feeling right now?"

In small towns, kids working for their parents doing all sorts of things, such as drawing attention to themselves around a store is pretty normal for me.

Beyond that, thank you for your thoughts, I shall account for them in later chapters, and revisions of this one.

Zolen says...

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:50 am

Hello there Zolen! Thanks for tagging me in your announcement, since I really like this first chapter! This definitely intrigues me. I like your two "main" characters - Laughing Death, and Marie. They both have very distinct personality traits which I enjoy seeing, as this makes them really unique and set them apart from other people's characters. I rather liked the description at the beginning using Laughter's senses: it made him seem kind of distant, kind of shocked, and more than kinda crazy; you told the reader so much through implications, which definitely impresses me. Marie is a very interesting character as well, with her being only fourteen, she's certainly got a view of the world, and I admire the fact that she's not afraid to try to get what she wants. You have two strong main characters, which is really good! Good job!

One problem I have with this is how you describe some of your story's elements, such as Marie's grandfather. I like your description of him, but I think that if you worded it differently, the sentence would flow a lot better, and not seem like you just wanted to get past who this man is, so you just provided the information and moved along, not really flowing back into the present action. I'd recommend that you inserted how he was basically Marie's grandfather at the beginning, and maybe reword the "old but strong" part you had in there, which seemed just a tiny bit forced. Getting information about him is definitely important, but if you modified this sentence, it would feel less like an info dump and more like you were simply describing the speaker. It wouldn't distract the reader much from the actual story. Another part I'm kind of confused by is the whole " I can squeal heroically" part. I'm guessing that you're trying to be funny or something, but that really distracted me from the ongoing conversation, and I thought way too much about that sentence before I got back into the story.

All in all, I think this is a very good start; you got an interesting idea here, and you also have some good characters. Some of your formatting isn't the best, with how a few paragraphs are a lot longer than others, but overall it's pretty good. This chapter definitely got me interested in learning more about what exactly happened at the beginning of this story, and I'm rather impressed by how determined Marie is to figure out Laughing Death. I like the dialogue in this chapter too, cause even if there's a lot, you're incorporating parts of the plot and story line in it, which I appreciate. Or at least I think you are XD. This is really good! Great job! I hope this helps somewhat!

Zolen says...

Thank you, your thoughts will help me with later chapters, and possible revisions for this.

by is the whole " I can squeal heroically" part

Yes I was trying to be funny, but mostly it was done to present how easily distracted the character is.

deleted868 says...

You're welcome, and I'm glad my review will help. Okay that makes sense; I just thought it was really random but I get that. I can't wait for more!

Zolen says...

I shall wait for 3 reviews, since I want to have a good idea how people are taking this idea before I start pumping out chapters. So if you like it, I encourage you to brag to your friend.

#shameless_self_premotion

deleted868 says...

Lol awesome. I'll try telling a few people of this. I'm all for self promotion.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:59 pm
Sujana says...

Aaal-right. I found this generally interesting, but there are more than a few issues here and there. I'll give you an overview later on, it's 6 AM in the morning and I haven't slept so.

Zolen says...

Eager to hear your thoughts, thank you.

Zolen says...

sleep well

It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and the villain of another's.
— James