Ashes

by Keumgan

“Hello, how may I help you?” I said with a big smile.

That’s what you’re supposed to do. Customer service and client satisfaction are our number one priority. She walked in on a cheerful day. Everything was going well, and I happened to be up-front to greet her. She seemed quite familiar. Average height, short, curly white hair. I remembered she was a very kind old lady, one of the people I enjoyed working with. But I could not remember her name.

“Oh, I’m just here to pick up Willow’s ashes.” My heart sank. She actually tried to smile as she said that. My smile disappeared instantly and my face turned into a very solemn, serious one.

“I see. I’m so sorry. Let me check in the back and I will be right with you.”

Willow. I remember now. I was there when she came in. I was there when the vet told me to assist him with euthanizing this beautiful, very sick cat. As I was looking for the package, my mind drifted away to Exam Room 1. Willow was lying down on a comfy blanket, sedated. I was holding her paw for the vet to inject the euthanizing agent. Mrs. T. was stroking her cat’s head, gently, as the vet did the injection.

“Until we meet again, Willow.” She whispered into her cat’s ear and placed a kiss on Willow’s forehead. She then looked at the vet and myself, in tears, with half a smile.

“Thank you both for being so humane and professional”.

I was fighting so hard to hold back my own tears. I have seen many euthanasia cases. Some clients will be too afraid to be present for the euthanasia, and will leave their pet before we give the final injection. Others will stay till the very end, and spend some time with their pet’s body, sobbing quietly, saying their goodbyes. The worst cases are fully grown men crying their hearts out, saying goodbye to their dog who is 16 years old, has cancer, and can no longer survive.

I hate it. Every single time I have to hold back my tears. I’m not sad for the dying animal. They are sick, in pain, and their suffering is coming to an end. It’s the human that saddens me. Their pain over losing an important friend. Their even bigger pain when they want to grieve for their pet and other people tell them “it’s just a cat”, or “it’s just a dog. It’s not “just” anything! It is a living being they got attached to, a friend who became family. How can they not grieve?!

There it is. I picked up the box, double-checked that it had the correct name, and headed back up-front.

“I apologize for the delay. Here are Willow’s ashes.” I said as I gently placed it on the counter.

Mrs. T. looked at the box, then gingerly picked it up with both hands. She raised the box toward her ear and slightly shook it, as though trying to listen to her cat. She stroked the box a couple of times, then held it close to her, afraid of dropping it.

I died a hundred times inside while watching her. I was once again holding back my tears.

“I think I will meet her again one day.” Said Mrs. T.

“I think you will too.” I confirmed, with a broken voice. Why can’t I keep my shit together?!

“Well, have a lovely day.” Mrs. T. walked out of the hospital.

I found a corner to hide and finally let my stupid tears out. 

**Names were changed for confidentiality purposes**

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm
FangirlDivided says...

Hello! FangirlDivided here with a review.

This story was beautifully written and described. I almost cried through a lot of it.

I had a basset hound once that we had since I was 4. We had her for 7 years before we had to put her down. Seeing how well you captured that emotion is amazing.

Keep up the amazing writing,

FangirlDivided

Keumgan says...

Thank you! I'm sorry you lost your dog. Have you ever written about that time?

No, I haven't. At that point I was not quite into writing, maybe I will now, though.

Keumgan says...

It's never too late !

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:28 pm
IzzyIsHappy wrote a review...

Hi Whosabell here with a review!

I love your style of writing and the way it kind of flows. You have the kind of writing style i would kill for.

This story really got to me becuase I love my two dogs beyond belief. They are my babies, my favorite "People". I have a border Collie Husky mix, and a lab/pit mix who is mostly a mutt.

This makes me sad to read becuase the lab, Jamie, is allmost ten now and is having a hard time getting down the stairs and doing things like play with the youger dog, the husky, Cali. Cali is almost three and is still very much a puppy. I worry about her and I know eventually she will have to die. I hate that. She was my first dog. god it makes me sad.

Happier things now!

You have a very good writing style. It was a suprise when I started reading I got sucked in and I was scrolling, not realizing I was getting to the end and I was like wow. That's never happened before. Anyway you are great at what you are.

Keep Writing~Whosabell

Keumgan says...

I'm really happy you enjoyed my writing style. Thank you for your kind words!

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 pm
NarniaQueen wrote a review...

Hiya, Keumgan,

Narnia Queen here to give a review.

So, this story really tugged at my heartstrings, like most sad stories do. It's simple, well-written, and packed full of emotion. And it's true.

I have a dog, a black labrador who is the most hyperactive animal I have ever come in contact with, and I couldn't imagine life without her. Just thinking about how someday I may have to do this to her breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes. Letting go of a beloved pet is like letting go of a piece of you. Actually, that's literally what it is. And it's not just those who have to let go who are affected, others around those people are also affected, too, and you captured that very well.

Your writing style is clean-cut, and to the point. Yet you can also feel the emotion swelling, living among the words. There are some very great lines in here, and I would love to see more of your writing, although I hope they won't make me as emotional as this one. :)

Sincerely,
Narnia Queen

P.S. You have my deepest condolences, and so does Mrs. T.

Keumgan says...

Thank you so much! I have not been able to write in so long and finally the first ideas that came to mind were related to my job. I'm planning to write happy stuff if it comes up.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:18 am
NightKaizer wrote a review...

HEELLO Keumgan,
An emotional story about the death of a pet. I've never had a dog or cat before. But I have friends who do. They treat their pets like family members. Some even have a seat at the table for them.
One line that caught my attention was "Their even bigger pain when they want to grieve for their pet and other people tell them "it's just a cat", or "it's just a dog". It's not "just" anything".
Very, very true. That should be added as a famous quote. I doubt other people would say "it's just a human" when one of their best friends die. No.
Some people just can't step into others' shoes. They just can't see a cat or dog as a human being. No human has multi-colored fur or four legs and paws for hands. How would they know.
It's just a special human they can't see.

Deepest Regards,
Night Kaizer

Keumgan says...

Thank you NightKaizer! I appreciate your review!

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour