z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Of Singers and Smoking

by Merzician


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Click.

Dammit.

Click. Click. Click.

Click.

At last, a spark takes, and my BIC lighter lights. Damn cheap made-in-China brand. Damn cold fingers. I'm bad enough with lighters when I can actually feel the gear biting my skin with every "click". Steven, my boyfriend, would be so amused watching me struggle right now.

Gingerly, I hold the tiny flame up to the cigarette tucked between my lips. The movement, however small, is sudden enough for the winter air to snuff it out.

Another half-dozen frustrated clicks, another half-hearted BIC spark. 

How does this part even work? I'm pretty sure you have to suck on the filter while you light it, though I'm not sure why that makes a difference. Shouldn't the paper and dry leaves burn either way?

I slowly inhale through the roll and hold the lighter to the end for a couple seconds. Releasing the flame, I exhale... No white smoke, no telltale red glow at the far end of the cigarette.

Again, I'm grateful to be alone in the frigid parking lot. There's nobody to point and laugh at my failure to perform something so simple and common as lighting a cigarette.

I briefly consider dropping the chewed, black-tipped stick in a nearby snow pile and throwing away the rest of the pack. I'm a singer- a choir teacher, for God's sake -and I've never even been tempted to smoke until tonight. Why the hell would I start?

That's why you're doing it here, now: it'll help you through the night. Nobody can see you. You can puff one out, keep your shit together for the night, and nobody will know. Except you.

Rationalization. Justification. I know it isn't the greatest self pep talk, but it's good enough to convince me to fumble the lighter to life one more time and take one more, deeper, paper breath against the miniature hellfire. This time, it takes.

I expected it to taste terrible. Bitter and green and savory, like it smells. How can something so pungent taste so...bland? And why am I oddly disappointed? I release the tiny sip of smoke I'd kept trapped in my mouth. I'm keeping my tongue pressed against my palate for now, I've seen too many movie scenes where a person's first smoke ends up with them choking and gagging. Start slow.

I consider the cigarette for a few seconds. The moment had been anticlimactic, certainly, but then I'm not looking for bells and fanfare. I'm looking for a stand-in until I can refill my Xanax.

I raise it back to my mouth and take a couple more experimental mouth-breaths on the filter. No big deal. I take a deep, slow breath into my gut. It's the kind of breath you're trained to take when you learn how to sing, but instead of preparing for a long musical phrase, I'm just absorbing he cold and the fire and the nicotine. Once again, I'm reminded of the wrongness of what I'm doing; I was made to sing, not smoke!

I could lose my job for doing this. I could ruin my career. Fuck, even Stevie, who's been smoking since before I met him, would be disappointed in me.

And yet, as what I can only assume to be the 'buzz' sets in, I return the half-gone cigarette and, almost hungrily, finished the thing off.

Stomping the butt into the pavement, I stand up from where my ass has been warming the hood of my car. As I turn to open the driver door the ground suddenly warps in front of me, like it does when you put on a cheap pair of sunglasses. I stumble against the window and grasp for the door latch. 

Nobody ever said anything about smoking making you dizzy! Is this normal? Should I only have smoked half a cigarette? Is it possible, if you're small enough, to overdose on nicotine? Oh God, am I gonna puke? 

I manage to get the door open and ease into the seat. Lowering my head into my hands I breathe slowly and try to shake off the mother of all head rushes. 

Once the ground becomes firm and flat again, I check my phone. I'm running late, I'm supposed to pick up Steven for a movie in a little more than fifteen minutes. Not quite enough time to change my clothes and brush my teeth. 

At least the nicotine is working. The 20-degree December night doesn't seem so bitter. The harsh edges around my mind feel softer. Bills due next week are just bills, not the apocalypse.  My heart rate is a meandering fox, not a rabid wolf.

But so much for no one knowing.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:38 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...



Hello again! c:

I quite enjoyed this, actually. It's kind of a relaxing piece and I just liked the voice of the character. It was interesting to wonder why a singer would suddenly decide it was a good idea to smoke- which does strike me as a bad idea considering how badly that can wreck a person's voice.

...paper breath against the miniature hellfire. This time, it takes.


I just thought it was kind of an odd/interesting way to say fire. But I don't think "hellfire" really fits there? It just doesn't sound quite right to me, but of course that could just be me.

How can something so pungent taste so...bland?


I really liked this whole thought. It was really interesting, because I really thought about what it would taste like, and I have to agree with the MC; it does seem like cigarettes would taste very very strong going off of their smell. I've never smoked so I can't comment on the actual description of the taste but it's still very interesting- maybe that's what made it MORE interesting for me, actually.

I could lose my job for doing this.


I felt like this is a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, if she started smoking regularly it would eventually start hurting her lungs/voice, but she's a music teacher, didn't you say? She'd still have the knowledge and know-how for teaching, she just might not be able to give examples herself- but in our world their are plenty of ways to get examples for such things. Though I do get that in that sort of state of panic you're not exactly thinking logically. But still I thought it was a little over-the-top, personally. I could be wrong though.

But so much for no one knowing.


I liked this ending. But at the same time, this perfectly brings up something else; what exactly is going on in this story? We have this character, that goes against everything she/he/they believe because of something in his/her/their life. It could be as "small" as just everything piling up and finally the MC breaks down, and tries smoking. Or maybe her dad just passed away, or maybe it's a combination of curiosity AND stress; but we don't know. Why does she do this? There's an underlying conflict in this story but we don't know what it is, and I don't know if that helps the story or hurts it, honestly.

But the ending especially, made me want to know more. Not so much in the "man I need to know more about those characters!" way, but rather in a more "I need more information on this to understand it" way. Don't get me wrong, I love how abrupt and hilarious(?) that ending is, but at the same time... we need more information! WHY does the MC suddenly realize that someone will know about her smoking? Does her clothes smell of smoke now? Does the dizzy feeling make her crash (I doubt it but you never know I guess)? If she hooked now? ;) I don't know what the reason is, but I want to know. So my advice would be to just give us a little more insight into what's happening, why it's happening, etc. C:

I thought this was pretty good though! Keep it up; I look forward to seeing more by you!

-Socks




User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:46 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



Steven, my boyfriend, would be so amused watching me struggle right now.


This sentence feels awkward because it feels like you trying to give us background on the main character's relationship while interrupting the character's narration. You could just word it as "My boyfriend Steven" to get rid of the commas and I think it would flow better.

I've seen too many movie scenes where a person's first smoke ends up with them choking and gagging.


I like this line because it tells us the character does things outside of the context of the story in a casual way that doesn't seem forced. In other words, it makes them feel like a real person instead of JUST a character.

I could lose my job for doing this. I could ruin my career. Fuck, even Stevie, who's been smoking since before I met him, would be disappointed in me.


Why does the main character refer to him as Steven in the beginning and Stevie here? It's just a small thing that took me out of the story since I have to be like "Oh wait, who is Stevie -- oh yeah that's right, the main character's boyfriend"

I like the narration here because the character just feels real. I like the nuances you include like her line about the bills at the end, or her recollecting movies she's seen. I also like how she reacts to things so vividly. Overall because of that, this was really enjoyable to read. Thank you for sharing.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 24
Reviews: 35

Donate
Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:14 am
MrMuddyPig wrote a review...



Sup!


I'm Just going to copy/paste some sentences, correct them and Ask Some questions.


1.my BIC lighter lights

I have no idea what a BIC is, it is often best to describe not so well-known objects like that.


And if it is actually well known, forgive me, i have no experience with lighters.

2.The movement is enough to put out the light.

You Shouldn't use 'put out' You have to be more specific, more detailed, look at some of my first stories, they suck because they aren't detailed.

2.(REVISED) The air from the quick flicker I had done was just enough to banish the bright gas.(My brain did't want to use light, I don't know why)

3.At least the nicotine is working.

This time, I know what You mean, but describe how it made you fell better. By the way you wrote it, it seemed as if it magically made you better.

Anyway, I hope I have Helped

-Mr. Muddy Pig

True Story? Dude* You Should quit smoking.

*(I forgot the female equivalent of dude)



Random avatar
Merzician says...


Thanks for the feedback, muddy!

I did some fleshing out where you mentioned, I do have a tendency to be a bit vague so thank you so much for pointing those parts out! I'd love to hear what you think of the revisions.

As for the quitting smoking? Thank the Lord, the literary piece you see before you describes in detail the one and only cig I have ever smoked in my life ever. Somewhere in my disorganised life is a full pack of stale American Spirits sans one.

Also, bic is a brand. They're more commonly known for their cheap mechanical pencils and other eh-quality school supplies. The lighters are just as shitty.


Random avatar
Merzician says...


Thanks for the feedback, muddy!

I did some fleshing out where you mentioned, I do have a tendency to be a bit vague so thank you so much for pointing those parts out! I'd love to hear what you think of the revisions.

As for the quitting smoking? Thank the Lord, the literary piece you see before you describes in detail the one and only cig I have ever smoked in my life ever. Somewhere in my disorganised life is a full pack of stale American Spirits sans one.

Also, bic is a brand. They're more commonly known for their cheap mechanical pencils and other eh-quality school supplies. The lighters are just as shitty.



MrMuddyPig says...


Thank You For Your Reply! Good thing that was your only time, heh. Oh yeah, i remember BIC now. They used to make these mechanical pencils.




cron
It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman