Writers Block

by MasterChief

This page is blank. It is void of black that normal people would recognise as letters, which can be strung together to make words and then sentences and eventually some sort of prose.

This page is blank

Writers block is frustrating. Its beyond frustrating, it’s more like self inflicted internal torture. You’ll sit in front of the computer, staring at the blinking cursor stood at the top of the page and the little paperclip will taunt you, cockily scratching it’s head. You’ll stare for a short while, and you’ll begin to form an idea. The idea is vague, without form like a spectre of the mind. It’ll be there for a few seconds and then it fades, fades away. Then its back to staring at the screen, praying that you’ll think of an idea of some merit that isn’t complete tripe.

………

…...

..’…’.’..’..’..’.’..

Nope, I thought I had but I lost it.

It’s a battle of wits with yourself, and your smarter than you are.

‘Damn, that would have been a great story’

You say to yourself as you struggle to remember an idea you had thought of naught two seconds ago

This cycle can go on for days. You wearily drag yourself to bed after wasting hours sat at your desk with nothing to show for it.

It’s depressing

Paragraphs are written then hastily deleted after you read it back and decide that it is crap.

Desperately, you decide you have to write something. Anything.

Then you begin to write about how you feel about writers block. The block is still there after you finish, but at least you feel like you’ve achieved something

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:47 am
Relaxistence88 wrote a review...

If you have writer’s block I would encourage you to explore the concept of free writing. This is basically an approach for doing unfiltered writing. Whatever is in your head at the time … you seek to get “down on paper”. You then polish and refine it later.

When I first started writing my Ph.D. thesis my original goal was to minimize rewrites, so I wanted to make my “first draft my last draft”. This method did not prove to be very successful … I got stuck trying to find the right words. Eventually I abandoned this “first draft as last draft” approach and moved to adopt the ideas of free writing. It may seem like you are adding steps, where in reality you are removing barriers.

There is also a Wikipedia article on the topic of “free writing” that can give you more information about the technique.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 am
aulyasela3597 wrote a review...

Some of the methods I employ to get over my writer's block are -

1. Music - Listen to the lyrics, humm along, you never know when a soul- touching lyrics might stir a thought that's worth penning down.

2. Drive/walk - Go on a slow peaceful drive or walk alone. Forget your phone, or any connection with the virtual world, watch the birds, stars, shadows, observe the people, you'll definitely get a bright idea.

3. Stop looking for an idea - No idea strikes when you're desperate to get it. It is a pleasure to experience when you're awestruck with a brilliant idea at the most unexpected time.

4.Play with kids or pets - It helps one make one's mind clutter free enabling proper flow of thoughts.

5. Do something you haven't done in a while, be carefree - You had a hobby? Try it out again! It will give positive energy.

6. Do something crazy - Call up an old friend, cook something that you haven't tried before, dance on your bed, it will help.

7. Just live - Keep living normally, ideas will strike. Ideas are like butterflies, the more you run after them, farther they'll be. The usual events and incidents have fantastic themes hidden in them, try and explore them.

Good luck! Keep writing!

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:47 am
Mr. Everyone says...

when i started posting on the site i came to the conclusion that it was used for critique... as in critisism... telling some1 its boring and not telling them why and how to fix it isn't much critisism, it's just telling them not to write basicaly...

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:15 am
Loose wrote a review...

Writers block is frustrating. Its beyond frustrating, it’s more like self inflicted internal torture.

I know what writers block is like, i dont need to read about it. This piece actually annoyed me. Foreshame!

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:17 pm
MasterChief says...

Thanks for the critique
All those 'its', i checked my word document and they were all correct in mine. Dont know what happened there.
Hmm, the naught seemed right to me. Im not even sure myself anymore. >_>

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:17 pm
Jennafina wrote a review...

Its beyond frustrating,

Should be 'It's.' Contraction for 'it is.'

cockily scratching it’s head.

Should be 'its'. Lol. Since it's an inanimate object.

Then its back to staring at the screen,

It's.

Nope, I thought I had but I lost it.

Nice! This made me laugh. I love your tone.

and your smarter than you are.

'You're', since it's for 'you are.'

You say to yourself as you struggle to remember an idea you had thought of naught two seconds ago.

These should all be on the same line. There should be a comma after you, and 'naught' should be 'not', I think. I'm not positive. If it wasn't but two seconds ago, you should use not. If it it was nothing but two seconds ago, you should use naught. So either maybe? *confusion*
Quotation marks would work better, I think, because you're saying it, not thinking it.

"Damn, that would have been a great story," you say to yourself as you struggle to remember an idea you had thought of not two seconds ago.

That's how I'd put it. :)

It’s depressing ]/quote]
The block is still there after you finish, but at least you feel like you’ve achieved something

You're missing at the end of both of these.

I like this! It's cute and funny, a good length, and probably was a great way to help your writers' block problem. I hope it's gone away by now. :)

Good luck!
-Jenna

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief