Val: 1

by passenger

I met you the day your father left.

I hadn't known it back then, but later you'd tell me, mustering a straight face and trying to pass it off like you did with most things. Your forehead creased, lips scrunched in the corner of your mouth, eyebrows lifting. "It's okay," you said, as if I was the one who needed reassurance. "No biggie." Then you clapped your hands and asked me to grab theh glue from the counter so you could "get your crafts on", which to me just seemed like a funny way to change the subject.

When you met me, it was far from a storybook encounter. My hands clutched tight to the sewn hem of my blouse, eyes fixed on your bouncing backpack that jostled as your fists flew forward. Muscles rippled in your forearms, your jaw taught, brown hair tousled and sweaty. You were beating up the boy I loved, which—while it might have earned you a striking first impression—didn’t earn you any points. I begged you to stop. My voice was stifled by the crowd of excited spectators. Besides, you had never acknowledged me before. You had neverlooked at me—not even once—and it occurs to me now that when we met, you probably didn't even know it.

Contrary to your indifference to my presence, I was much more aware of yours. Your name was always tossed around. No matter what clique or team we belonged to, we all had reason at one time or another to bring you up. You weren't the biggest thing at school, but you were captain of the Pittsburgh Hornets—possibly the best high school football team in the state—and you had that smile.

Yeah, that one.

I hated you, God help me, I hated you so much.

It was a different hate than I’d ever experienced; a fiery loathing that boiled in my stomach; a tic of my jaw that triggered whenever I passed you in the halls. I remember the lump lodged inside my esophagus as I watched blood drip from Jet Martin’s split lip.

Jet started the quarrel. I know that much. His fist had glanced off of your cheek and you'd taken a step backwards, followed by the jolt of his knuckles slamming you in between the eyes. You hadn't expected the second blow. Maybe you would have called it quits if he hadn't socked you the second time, but you were proud of your reputation. Your ego was inflated, but couldn’t be popped by a punch, of all things. Fire ignited in the pits of your eyes; I could almost see the honest-to-God flames. Your hands gripped his shirt and pinned him up like he was a thumb tack and the wall was the map—with such force that I could hear the thump of his back against the bricks.

The sound vibrated inside of my chest, as if I was experiencing the impact myself. It occurs to me now that maybe that was the way you'd felt that morning, when you woke up and realized that your father wasn't home. And that he probably wouldn't ever be again. Trapped beyond a hope of return; too exhausted to clamber from the clutches of sorrow.

It was a typical school fight, if there was such a thing. Jet hated your petty taunts. He would pace back and forth across my kitchen floor, erupting with sudden grievances about how genuinely confused he was with you. In a way that, at first, couldn’t help but evoke sympathy. He didn’t understand why you couldn’t just leave him alone.

You were the conversation that snuck up on me out of the serenest silence. Your name was the word suspended in his head beside theories about quantum mechanics and problems involving algebraic variables, and the other math-like paraphernalia that he kept shut inside the textbook under his bed.

After the fight, you weren’t the least bit bothered with my boyfriend. You never held a grudge. The fight had been on Wednesday morning and by Thursday afternoon, I was walking beside Jet and you strutted by the two of us, your arms swinging at your sides, legs taking long and bouncy strides, shoulders swaying. You were accompanied by several other capped football players. It was only the second time I had really seen you. The corner of your gaping mouth tilted upwards, and you said, "J.J., man of the essence." That was all. You walked a little bouncier after that.

The first time we talked was late at night, a week after. You sent me a text. I remember it pretty clearly, since I never recalled giving you my number. You didn't even know my name. On second thought, I should have known my name would be the absolute last thing you would remember.

You: I have a business proposition.-Chris M.

You signed it with your first name and last initial. What a poser, I remember thinking. Why'd you go and tack up that M on the end, like it was some last ditch effort to impress? Why couldn't you just write out your last name instead of leaving that uncomfortable M to stand alone?

What confused me most was the message itself. I had never imagined that the words “business” or “proposition” would live within your vocabulary, resting inside of it like dusty clothes at the bottom of your drawer; a little too big and never worn, just waiting for the right occasion.

Above all, what did a guy like you want with me?

It took all of my confidence to call you up. I couldn’t stifle my curiosity. My phone felt sweaty against my ear, clammy and small inside of my hand. My eyes darted to the door—shut, and thankfully soundproof—as my fingers tapped nervously against on the bed comforter. I felt my heart race to meet the the speed of the ringtone.

When you picked up the phone, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

"Hello?" Your voice cut through the speaker. Deeper than I imagined.

"Hey," I croaked, my own voice snagging in my teeth.

"Who's this?" you asked. A laugh was suspended in your throat. I felt my cheeks heat up at the sound of your stupid, suave impersonation of yourself.

"Koskia," I got out. I cleared my throat.

You laughed, louder this time, and said, "Sorry?" I let my eyes roll, even though I knew you couldn't see them.

"Jet's girlfriend," I clarified.

I heard you snap-clap in that funny way you do when a startling thought comes to mind. "Oh, that's right. J.J.'s girl," you replied, sounding genuinely excited that you remembered. Like you weren’t aware of the fact that I’d literally just told you who I was.

"Yeah," I told you.

Upon my bitter inquisition, you described your business proposition. You told me how I worked at Subway (as if I didn't already know), and that it would be easy—considering—to smuggle out ingredients after an overtime night shift. I asked you what the hell you were on about. You continued to explain how you didn't like the school lunches (and of course you were the most "important" and spoke for the entire student body, so by default, the grand population shared a similar opinion).

"It would be one of those under-the-table gigs," you said.

Frequently, you ended your sentences with "am I right?”, like it was an afterthought, and sometimes you'd divert to sports talk, particularly when you began explaining how you were "in" with the janitor who always wore the Atlanta Braves cap, so of course he could get you the key for the storage area behind the old preschool classroom, where our "HQ" would be.

You had your own language. I was in continuous wonderment as to why I wasn't hanging up the phone. But there was something about the low, amused drawl of your ridiculous tangents that kept me listening. For five minutes. Ten. Fifteen. I hadn't said a word. You were still talking. I don't think you even breathed. You kept explaining, careful not to leave anything out. Digressing at times, but always circling back around to the proposition of us running a completely improbable and apparently "very profitable" secret sandwich business.

I thought I was delirious. Surely, the quarterback of Pitt high—the guy who beat up my boyfriend just yesterday—wasn't calling me asking to start a sandwich business.

By some miracle, I stayed awake through your spiel. When you were finished, I was too shocked to make an educated response, so I panicked and hurriedly told you that I'd call you back.

Call you back.

What the hell was I thinking?

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 am
Charm says...

ugh i wish i wrote like you ;-;

passenger says...

I'm not that good, haha. thanks for the compliment, but you don't want to write like me. your style is unique. besides, trust me: if you continue writing at this rate, you'll be writing best-selling thrillers at the same age that I was writing cheesy romance. ;)

[just look at how much you've improved at poetry in the past year. with the right dedication, the same can happen with prose. you're amazing. challenging yourself is good, but don't underestimate your potential.
<3]

Charm says...

(is writing a cheesy romance) <33333 thx need all the confidence and love in my prose atm xD

passenger says...

I planned to put most of the emphasis on /best-selling/, haha. :P and as a [obvious] fan of romance novels, I'd be more than willing to read your story if you'd like!

Charm says...

c: i don't think i'll publish it on YWS or share it with anyone for awhile. i hate my prose as of late.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D

Well the voice is just

(I'll probably find a way to say that in every chapter :p)

Character wise, I'm still intrigued, but I don't feel much for anyone yet. There is lots of pretty prose and people are doing things, but I'm still waiting for an oomph of why I should care. Since you're telling this story in a non-traditional manner (2nd) and it's sort of backwards to forwards in a way, it's harder to show the standard goal, conflict, stakes, but I still want to know the MC's goal and what's standing in the way of that goal separate from finding out about the deal with "you". What else is happening outside of the situation with Chris? Like this situation with her boyfriend, I feel like there's more there and I want to know about it.

You have so much pretty prose here and I don't want you to sacrifice that pretty prose, but I also think you could do more showing. 2nd is hard because it kind of naturally falls into telling. You have done some showing and it's been lovely, so I want more. For example:

When you met me, it was far from a storybook encounter.

I like the contrast between when she first met him and when he first met her.

My hands clutched tight to the sewn hem of my blouse, eyes fixed on your bouncing backpack that jostled as your fists flew forward.

So where are we right now? And when are we in relation to the party when she met him? I'm guessing this is before he tells her about his dad.

Muscles rippled in your forearms, your jaw taught, brown hair tousled and sweaty. You were beating up the boy I loved, which—while it might have earned you a striking first impression—didn’t earn you any points.

How did she stumble into this scene? How did this start? Did she hear a fight and come investigate? Did she just happen to be walking by and see the fight? Was she here when the fight broke out?

I begged you to stop.

I want to see this. Is she passively standing there clutching her shirt saying "stop"? Is she screaming? Is she standing there watching or is she rushing closer? What is she saying? I want to see her emotion and get a sense of how she feels about Chris in this opening encounter through her actions rather than what she says about him.

My voice was stifled by the crowd of excited spectators.

There's a crowd? Set this scene for me a bit before you launch into showing what happened, like I said before, where are we, when are we, and how did this start?

Besides, you had never acknowledged me before. You had neverlooked at me—not even once—and it occurs to me now that when we met, you probably didn't even know it.

Why does all of this matter right now? It's useful background information and it helps set the tone and describe the character, but right now we're in the middle of a fight scene. I want to feel the intensity of the fight scene and feel the emotions of this MC with her and to me, this breaks that momentum up.

Jet started the quarrel. I know that much.

But why? I would like a tad more before all of this goes down to understand the context of the fight so it's not just a random fight.

We keep moving away from seeing the actual fight and explaining the fight. I would rather see the fight and see the MC trying to break it up so I get more of a feel for who she is and what she's like, because right now I'm picturing her standing there watching it all unfold, thinking about why it's happening. I want her to feel more active and I want to feel more pulled into the plot. You could show this conversation prior to the fight - MC and Jet talking about his feelings towards Chris and showing how Chris bothers Jet through the conversation so the fight doesn't feel so random. And then when the fight happens, you can stay focused on that.

After the fight, you weren’t the least bit bothered with my boyfriend.

How does the fight end? What happens immediately after the fight?

The corner of your gaping mouth tilted upwards, and you said, "J.J., man of the essence." That was all. You walked a little bouncier after that.

How does Jet respond/react to that? What did she think of it? How did she respond/react to it?

You sent me a text. I remember it pretty clearly, since I never recalled giving you my number.

How did she have his number?

Looooove thiiiiisss.

It took all of my confidence to call you up.

And why did she? Why call and not text? Why does she care? She saw him beat up her boyfriend a week ago, why should she give this guy the time of day?

I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Why?

If MC = Koskia, then who is Val??? :o

Upon my bitter inquisition, you described your business proposition.

I want to see this whole conversation. I want to get a feel for his personality and her personality and it's way more interesting to hear a conversation than hear about a conversation :) I want to be in this moment rather than hearing about this moment. Later you describe how engrossed she is and I want to feel that too. Show me how he reels her in and engrosses her. This is an important moment and I want to know just how he does it.

I feel like this review is disjointed because I didn't do it all in one sitting :P But to sum it up, I think you have super pretty language and voice and that's all engaging and lovely. But, I want to feel more. Koskia is telling us what happened and telling us about her feelings in hindsight and I want to feel her emotions and know what she's thinking in the moment not in hindsight. That will give me a richer sense of who she is and what her personality is like and what Chris's personality is like which will ultimately make me care about these characters on a deeper level.

Plot wise, I touched on this a bit (I think) but I think you could go deeper. You dance around a couple of plot points but I think you could elaborate a bit more. Remember that even though Koskia is writing this to Chris, the reader is here too and we don't know as much as Chris so you'll have to fill in some gaps for us :)

Hope this was somewhat coherent :P Let me know if you have any questions or if you want feedback about something I didn't already mention and I'll see you very soon! Looking forward to seeing where you lead us next :D

passenger says...

Ahh, thank you! I think my main qualm about 'showing' instead of telling is that the general purpose of the letter is the narrator writing to Chris, who is already familiar with the events she's referring to. Which means I have to find a happy medium between maintaining that voice and appealing to the reader. Definitely a challenge to achieve. :) A buuunch of tweaking for me to do on that front.

Hopefully future chapters answer a few of your questions and provide a bit of context for the fight / the narrator's feelings. I think they will, at least a little. The way that Koskia tells the story seems a bit random at first, but as does the way that we, as imperfect beings, tend to remember/retell events. ;)

Thanks so much again for your notes! Sososo helpful.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 pm
Charm says...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmYES

passenger says...

c:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:35 am
reneehope wrote a review...

AHHHHH. Okay I love this! I love this so much!

As a complete and utter nerd on so many levels, I actually identify with this a lot, and makes the main character so great. I have a few nitpicks but other than that its fantastic!

1- If she hates him so much, why does she even call him, instead of texting? I feel like that would be more practical, but I don't know. Maybe that's just the character. Then "I thought I was dreaming" seems too romantic to be hate. I can totally see these two characters being together, but I want to be led up to it. Make me believe that though he's devastatingly beautiful she genuinely hates him... maybe until a few chapters? I don't know. Just thoughts.

I read someone else's review (Tulip's? I believe?) and think that the "jumbled paragraphs" were a bit randomized, but I think that added to your story! Because Chris just kept going on and on and the character was trying to focus (a bit) but he was "speaking in his own language" (also loved btw- also something that I understand as a not sporty person in a sporty household) but then also kept thinking her own what-the-hell-is-going-on thoughts.

That's it. I think. So really there was only one nitpick. I cannot wait to read more!!

passenger says...

Hey Renee, thanks for your review! Your point about "I thought I was dreaming" is a good one; I'll have to play with the phrasing a bit.

My thought was that the narrator would call Chris instead of texting because she's very confused about the whole situation, and texting would be pretty complicated if Chris had to explain something to her in depth (like he ended up having to do). Plus, she didn't know if it was some kind of trick, and figured that if she got him on the phone, it would be more difficult for him to carry out whatever trick he was planning.

Thanks again! If you want, I can notify you when I republish the next few chapters. :)

reneehope says...

yes please! I would love to hear more!

passenger says...

2's republished, and with a few edits. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint!

passenger says...

3's also up! Ofc, take your time and read at your own convenience.

Pernicus wrote a review...

Wow, compliment time.
Ok, you're definitely a better writer than me, in terms of characters and using description the right places. Your story kept me wanting to read more, which is rare on YWS. Your characters are super engaging, I can already get a clear mental image of their personalities, and they aren't very cliche so don't worry on that front. Their emotions, specifically the narrators are very realistic and believable. I don't think I've ever seen this perspective in writing before, from one character to another, it's interesting and new to me. This kind of first person is very insightful and genuinely feel I know this character after just one chapter! With many novels on here I tend to skim predictable and boring dialogue/entire paragraphs, but with this it engaged me throughout and was never too predictable. The love ( I assume it's so ) seems real and not at cliche, they don't seem like a likely couple, just the way it really works. My only legitimate criticism thus far is that she seems a little too, perhaps, open in her thoughts to this other character. Because it addresses him maybe it should be a bit more concealed? Unless that is that they are in a super intimate relationship at the time of writing then it would make sense. Trust me when I say romance is my least liked genre and it's impressive that I liked this, and read the entire thing. It speaks for the realism and subtlety of your romantic writing. Nowadays romance has become a bit too synonymous with shirtless werewolf teen vampire boys for it to interest me, but your work was a fresh and rare view into the real and intimate romance that is truly human. Loved it!
moving on to chapter two now, or 0.2 as you've called it :3

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 am
silverhanded says...

Sav, I love this. ❤❤

passenger says...

Awh, thank you <3

GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hello, Tulip here to give you a review on your chapter! it is a different story for sure. I'm not sure what exactly you are taking this but I'm going to review what you have done here.

Okay, at first, it seemed like this chapter started out organized but it seems to go less organized the further that you go into the chapter. The things seemed to become more jumbled the further into the chapter you went. I think that if you went through and edited it, you can find a better way to transition between the ideas and different situations that you have within the chapter.

Even within your paragraphs, I'd suggest going through them. Fix them up a bit and make a new paragraph when the topic or idea changes. This is the first thing to look at when you are writing. Will it make sense to your reader when you have it posted?

I didn't really see any grammatically wrong in this chapter. So I'm just going to leave this here. You don't have to take my suggestions but they are here if you want them.

Keep on writing,
~Tulip~

The blood jet is poetry and there is no stopping it.
— Sylvia Plath