z

Young Writers Society



Burned 5.1

by Noelle


Everywhere I go whispers follow. Most are cautious, quiet enough that I cannot make out a word. The rest are just loud enough to reach my ears. As if the kid went to extra lengths just to make sure I could hear it.

“Think this will finally knock her ego down?”

“All that talk about making the agency. Everything that’s come out of her mouth is a joke.”

“Guess she’s just like the rest of us after all.”

It doesn’t quite bother me. There is a piece of my heart that aches with every insult, but how could there not be? These kids that I see in the hallways, in class, at training, everyday have turned against me. All because no one really knows what happened during the VQ. I can thank Colton for most of the rumors started.

Four weeks have past since the test. Classes have seemed more pointless than ever. There’s a pile of unfinished homework back in the dorm. We’ve had six exercises, all individual, and I didn’t complete a single one. Colton has finished first of our class in them all. He seems to be really milking this.

My poor performances earned me a trip to Caddarick’s office last week. I also might have gotten into another fist fight with Colton. For once he didn’t do anything to deserve it. I just kind of unloaded all my frustration on his face. He fought back this time so I wasn’t able to land most of my punches. I felt a hell of a lot better after though.

Normally Caddarick would yell at me for everything I had been doing. But that day he was more concerned about other things.

“Have you been reading it?”

I didn’t need to ask for clarification. There was only one thing he could’ve been referring to. “Just a few pages. How’d you end up with it?”

He waved his hand through the air. “That’s not important. You need to keep going through it. The more you know the more you’ll reveal about yourself.”

Great. Another cryptic message for me to decipher. I was getting tired of all the things I didn’t understand. Will is helping me go through the codes, but we have yet to find anything that makes sense.

We’re in the library again, thinking there might be more resources to help us decipher the code. Nothing. No books, no relevant case files.

“There’s no real pattern,” Will says, dropping the bomb after four hours of trying to figure it out. Of course that’s going to be the answer. “I’m starting to wonder if this is even a code. I mean, it obviously is, but I think your parents are the only ones who can identify it.”

I tried to call my mother the day after we first went through the journal. Merith had been suggesting it every few hours. I only called to get her to shut up. Each time I tried though, the phone would ring only for an automated message to tell me that the phone number had been disconnected. I tried her work number and I got the same message. That didn’t make me feel much better. Not only is there a chance that I might not even get into the agency, but now I can’t get in contact with my mother.

I reach out to brush my fingers across the tattered pages of a book in front of me. The librarian brought them for us, thinking we were working on our history project. It wasn’t a total lie; we do have to get it done. But this journal is much more important than any dumb grade.

“Look.” Will pokes my arm before pushing the journal across the table. I look down to see he’s circled a word at the top. Cardinal. “This is on more pages than not. It has to mean something.”

“Got any ideas?”

“No,” Will admits. My heart sinks. “Besides the obvious, I mean. A cardinal is a bird with red feathers. There’s not much to salvage there.”

“You’re telling me.” I feel a yawn coming on and I try to hide it behind my hand. But Will notices.

“When did you go to sleep last night?”

“I didn’t.”

“The night before?”

I shake my head. “I haven’t slept right since that damned test.” Every time I close my eyes I relive every mistake I made. It’s a perfect opportunity for my mind to play the “what if” game. And as much as I fight it it just doesn’t go away.

Will stares at me in silence, studying me as if he’s trying to pick my brain. The look makes me squirm. I wish he would look away. The longer our eyes stay attached the harder it is for me to pull mine away.

Nothing has happened between me and Will since we were attached at the hand. Everything has stayed the same. Neither of us has brought it up again around the other, much less to anyone else. But I can tell that it’s still on his mind. Occasionally I’ll catch him looking at me, as if debating whether to bring us together again. Thankfully he doesn’t. I don’t know how I would react.

He’s been by my side since the moment we stepped into Vido’s. At least, that’s what he’s told me. I’m still fighting to bring back those memories of first level. He’s told me stories of times when we got lost or stayed out past curfew. We became partners, friends. We built our relationship on the only thing we could draw from: two kids being forced from their families and into the most dangerous job field possible.

If some stupid feeling screws that up for both of us I’ll never forgive myself.

“You need to sleep,” Will says finally. “No wonder you’re not doing well in those exercises.”

“Thanks for bringing that up,” I grumble. “That makes me feel so much better.”

“It’s the truth. You’re off your game. Exhaustion is stopping you from making decisions you’d normally make.”

“How would you know that?”

“Because we’re partners.”

“So?”

Will sighs. “We’ve spent almost every single day together for the past five years. I know you. My job is to know you. I have to be able to predict your next move before you make it.” He pushes away from the table and picks up one of the stacks of books. “I’ll tell everyone you’re sick. Sleep for as long as you need. Who knows when we’ll get another shot at the VQ.”

I scoff. “If we get another shot. None of the professors seem too keen about it.”

“Just get some sleep, Bryn.” Will doesn’t even bother to turn back when he says it. He’s already deep in the labyrinth of bookshelves. It would be a waste of time to go after him. This table is in the only empty space between the shelves. I’d get lost before I could meet up with him.

My eyelids are heavy as I trudge out of the library. The hall is full of kids rushing about. I look in the direction of the class I'm supposed to be in now, History V with Professor Clemet – convenient that it’s right next to the library. The door is shut and the blinds pulled down.

Taking a deep breath, I decide to go to class. No use missing any more class. Sleep will come. If Will is right and we’re going to get another shot at the test, I have to keep up my image. Maybe Clemet will give me a break for being late.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Wed May 04, 2016 12:57 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hiya, Noelle! I'm finally back to read your gorgeous novel :3 Uh, I haven't read previous reviews and it's been months since I read the last chapter, so bear with me.

To the review --

I might've lied. I need to take a moment to gush over this because wow. Reading this actually hurt me. That's pretty fantastic, considering I haven't read this since months ago but I'm still really feeling for the main character. I just want her to win, to be the best. I really like her and that means you've done an amazing job characterizing Bryn and making her likable. Relatable. Other positive adjectives xD

As for real critique, I don't really have a lot. But what I do have to say is rather important (I think.)

The big thing that really struck me as strange while reading this is the flashbacks. Or whatever that beginning was. The big thing about writing in present tense is that everything is happening in real time. So when she's talking about whispers following her everywhere, that means she is currently walking through the hall and hearing these whispers. Because of that, it's super weird when it suddenly goes to a flashback summary of the past four weeks (or however long it was) and talks about Caddarick to them come back to Bryn in the library. When did she get out of the hall? When did she have time to zone out and think about all these things and Will doesn't even question it?

I mean, the transition was from "I was tired of cryptic messages" to "oh yeah, and I'm in the library right now with Will figuring out these codes." So then, that means she would have had to zoned out for a second to think about this. And that doesn't at all connect back to her in the beginning hearing the whispers. Present tense is weird like that, so things have to move in real time. It might help to show a little earlier, maybe them walking to the library and showing us the whispers around, and show the part with Caddarick through some dialogue. (Will scolding her for attacking Colton?)

Also, here are a few little things that struck me as odd:

In the whispers, they're talking about this "knocking down her ego" but I never felt like Bryn was egotistical. From everything we've seen about her before, I don't ever remember her trying to rub her strengths in other people's faces. She was just really good.

Also, in the second "real" paragraph, she refers to the rest of the students as kids who betrayed her. But first off, aren't they her peers? Second off, when were they ever on her side? I mean, for the most part I feel like they were always against her in the sense that they had to battle her for a place since she was the top of the class (I believe) at a point. As well, in that paragraph, I was waiting for that but, because she started with not being bothered and then how she was, which was strange.

With that rambling out of the way, I really did like this. Emotionally, this worked super well, but technically, it didn't make sense, as I explained. It could use some polishing, but I do like the position you've cornered Bryn in. I'm excited to watch her grow and try to get herself out!

Happy writing,
~ Wolfe




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:53 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hullo! It's review day and this is in the gren room so you know the drill :)

Specifics

1.

Everywhere I go the whispers follow.
I think this would add a nice emphasis.

2. This is a little bit info dumping. If the fist fight is important, it would be more interesting for the reader to witness it than to hear that it happened. That and the retrospection on the results/ why people are whispering about the main character make for a slow and slightly heavy start to the chapter.

3. The transition between talking to Caddarick and then Will is a bit awkward. At first it felt like the dialogue with Caddarick was the start of the active part of the chapter but then suddenly we're with Will instead and tat was more thinking. Maybe if you described that they're in the library earlier, when the whispering is observed, that will make it smoother.

4. They're writing on a journal in the library? That seems really wrong and I'm hoping I misread that and you mean Will circled something on his own journal!

Overall

Once you get into the flow of it, this chapter works well. The scene in the library flows smoothly and while I wouldn't mind a little more description of the surroundings, there's enough description of their actions and the dialogue is interesting enough that you've got my attention. Not so much for the first part. I wonder if you couldn't get some of that information into the story through dialogue with Will rather than through the main character's thoughts?

That's all for this chapter - thanks for the read!

~Heather




User avatar
346 Reviews


Points: 37216
Reviews: 346

Donate
Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:09 pm
Pretzelstick wrote a review...



Hello Noelle, you're telling me to rip this up? Well, I'll try ripping it up for R.E.D. at least, enough so that you can get some feedback and praise.

Again, I can see why this chapter is necessary and yet a filler at the same time, because I feel like you really got to grow the relationship between Will and Bryn while showing some of the side of conflict from Bryn and Colton. The balance is a good balance, so I don't think that there's a problem with this being just a filler chapter. Sometimes, both the readers and the character need a little chance to slow down and recover.

Normally Caddarick would yell at me for everything I had been doing. But that day he was more concerned about other things.


I guess that I don't understand why Caddarick is letting her off the hook so easy. The time lapse should maybe make his sympathy and patience ebb away, in terms of what Bryn is doing to him, if you see what I mean. Not only has the test happened four weeks ago, but also the memories faded six years ago. And yes, I know that this is all about a search for truth, but is Caddarick that involved to not me also a mentor/guidance counselour to her studies?

He’s been by my side since the moment we stepped into Vido’s. At least, that’s what he’s told me. I’m still fighting to bring back those memories of first level.


I would probably expand/elaborate on this at least a little bit more, because even though she can't remember her memories, I'm sure that she could probably just ask Will about it, giving that time period of her life a little bit more context. It's ok to spend more than a paragraph exploring this information, please remember that. ;) I'm maybe just a curious reader who wants to know more.

I also feel like the first portion especially was of Bryn ranting or complaining. You can cut out a lot of that internalization, because we do't have to hear how pointless or unimportant school is, studies are, tests are, etc. For example, this portion:
Spoiler! :
Classes have seemed more pointless than ever. There’s a pile of unfinished homework back in the dorm. We’ve had six exercises, all individual, and I didn’t complete a single one. Colton has finished first of our class in them all. He seems to be really milking this.


Out of here, probably the only important part would be that Colton is milking his opportunity. Everything else about the homework and exercises can go, because based on the rest of the chapter where she is tired and needs sleep.

Another point that I was bringing to up earlier, was that I feel like here there was so much telling. What about if you try to show and tell, because even in the best novels(ahem <,<*points at yours*), there has to be an element of storytelling is that there has to be some showing. You can really develop this filler chapter by putting your best foot forward and world-building or character building.

Maybe Clemet will give me a break for being late.


Hmm, why would he give her a prize, a break for something wrong that she did? I would be thinking that she would be given a consequence instead, or some type of reprimand.

Anyways, that's all that I have and I can't wait for the next part of this chapter to be published.

Until Next Time,

~P.S.





I cannot separate the aesthetic pleasure of seeing a butterfly and the scientific pleasure of knowing what it is.
— Vladmir Nabokov