z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Shock Absorber's Story.

by DrFeelGood


My soul resides in the driver’s seat,

But my heart’s inside four tires.

*

A confused, perplexed being I am,

They call me a shock absorber.

*

Whenever the car bumps into trouble,

I lead the way through all the struggle.

*

There’s pride in the pain that I suffer every day,

Speed breakers and accidents which I regularly face.

*

I pull off my work with grace and courage,

There’s beauty to my life, with a farce little stain.

*

The driver in the seat never bears any brunt,

The shock absorber is the one who suffers from the front.

*

It affects me a lot, but I don’t stop my work.

The more you hit me, the better I become.

*

The dude inside the wheel inspires me the most,

Whenever I’m down, I look up to his stunts.

*

He doesn’t even crib in darkest of hours,

He bursts out in a second and saves the day.

*

I want to be like that airbag who’s beyond any pain,

He’s learnt to find joy in a life of stain!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:36 pm
View Likes
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello DrFeelGood, steampowered here with a review as requested! This is going to be a short review, since the poem is short, but I’ll try my best to leave you with some decent feedback.

This is definitely an interesting concept. It’s not uncommon that we see poems told from the points of view of inanimate objects, but it’s the first time I’ve seen something specifically about a shock absorber. So it’s definitely unique. :D

I’m kind of reading this at face value here, although I’m not sure if there’s another layer to it. Generally, I feel like that if the poem’s meant to be humorous rather than a deep metaphor for something else (and if it is a metaphor, you might want to give the reader some more clues so there’s further room for interpretation) then you should perhaps try and make things more interesting for the shock absorber. I kind of like the way the shock absorber almost hero-worships the driver, but perhaps you could tell us more about the driver, whether he’s a reckless driver or whether he’s a careful driver (thus making the shock absorber’s role less important)

A more technical thing I’d suggest for improving the flow of this poem is to either go with rhyme, or to remove all the rhyme. At the moment, your poem doesn’t rhyme in most places, which is fine, but words like “brunt” and “front” and “pain” and “strain” do rhyme, so in the interests of consistency I’d eliminate these rhyming words.

And I think that’s everything I picked up on. Keep writing!

-steam-




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:07 am
StupidSoup says...



Very very nice. Great job.




User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:03 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Drfeelgood,

We're being taken to unusual places here. A personified shock-absorb-er is such a rich idea. I'm a partly biased reviewer when it comes to rhyme, so take what I say with a grain of salt but I actually think this might read better without the rhyme. The rhyme makes it cutesy, like a Disney's Cars sort of cartoony vibe, or a Dr. Seuss sort of cutesy poem. I think the concept of this poem lends itself to the more serious tones. You can still have a rhythm and a beat and a movement and a musicality without the strict rhyme verses and actually, so many of your better lines here don't use rhyme at all!

One thing I've noticed upon my reading of it and your intentions is when I read it, the poem seems to be about a personfied shock-absorber. What that means is that we're taken into the world of the shock-absorber and viewing it through its' eyes, what it feels, what it wants, what it longs for. This is perfectly fine, the experience of the poem is unique and original and I had fun imagining that world.

However, it seems you're intending it to be a metaphor and the poem is not quite there as a metaphor just yet. A metaphor has two dimensions - it has the vehicle layer and it has the tenor layer. The vehicle is what the poem is REALLY about and what is being invoked and the tenor is what the poem is saying. Your poem has no vehicle. And so, my suggestion for you if you truly want to move away from personification and into metaphor territory is to develop your vehicle.

Image

It can be as simple as title change. See, your title even evokes itself as personification. Your title says, "This is the story of a shock absorber" This poem will read differently if you say instead, "This is the story of a Single-Mother" With a title like that, all of a sudden we're seeing connections between shock absorber and a single mother. But the title might not be enough, we're also wanting to word things in just a way to imply single motherness. For example, perhaps instead of using car-words, we use kitchen-words or parenting-words and we use those words in a setting that is the car and vehicle. See, a car's kitchen might be the engine blowing steam just as a boiling pot of water. You get the picture. The easiest way to do this is a chart. Find single mother related words. Find car related words. See where you might connect the two!

Now, I'm using "single mother" as an example of a vehicle, but you can use anything. A guy named Steve, a bee colony, a laborer in a slave-labor economy, etc. etc. But specificity is key. It can't just be "anybody". When it's too general, there is no need to use a metaphor, because metaphor is all about specifics. If you want to go general and talk about just about anybody, then you write similes. Not metaphors.

So, if you're still down on the metaphor idea -- find who exactly or what exactly you want to be your vehicle the thing the poem is -really about- and be specific, don't just pick "anybody". Then maybe make a chart of words that relate to that idea, and a chart of words that relate to the car idea. And then scratch and plug and invent. Easy as pie!

Why this is not a metaphor just yet? There's only car talk throughout this whole thing. Sometimes, when we're writing a poem, we have ideas in our head and even though you write the poem with this idea in your head of what it really means-- we as readers can only interpret what's on the page -- not what's in your head.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need to chat this one over.

~ as always, Audy




DrFeelGood says...


Hey, Audy!

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. As English ain't my first language, I have always been confused between metaphor and similes. When I was in school, we were taught, 'direct comparison' is a metaphor while simile is a comparison using words like, 'as', 'like' etc.

That's the reason why I wrote in my replies to previous reviews that I had used a metaphor. If metaphor means 'specifics', then this poem is definitely not a metaphor. This poem is very general in that sense, as I wanted 'anybody', just about anybody to connect to this poem.

At its core, this piece is about a person who suffers because of others, but finds strength in himself to overcome pessimism. That person could be anybody, from a guy who had an accident, to a boy who was punished by his teacher. I never wanted to focus on one particular issue here; it was more about finding strength in pain. That was the heart of this poem.

And once again, thanks a lot for this wonderful review! I'm really glad you explained me the difference between metaphors and similes in such detail! Thank You.



Audy says...


I think your concept and core for this poem is beautiful! More-so because of how well those two ideas fit together so well. I've had people in my life who were these shock-absorbers and when I read this poem with the context you intended, it makes me treasure the poem all the more for making me realize these people in a light that I've never explored before, and I think that's what makes the concept for this poem rich and inspirational.

But if I were honest to myself and to you, I don't think that the context comes across in the poem by itself without having you telling me what the poem is about.

Similarly, I don't think my review was clear with my intentions - I didn't mean to write about the difference between metaphors and similes, though I'm glad that I was able to help in this regard, what I wanted to do was help the poem-on-the-page become more like what you intended as the poem-in-your-head, because the poem-in-your-head is beautiful!

And in my opinion, I think there is a disconnect between what you've written and what you've intended. I don't think this is because of your English, which is great! I just think it's because ALL of us when we sit to write have this struggle of how to create our ideas into words, myself included.

So when readers ask themselves what the poem is about, they've said it's about cars and what we want them to say and get from it is all the things you've said to me. The poem-on-the-page is fun, but it's not doing those things - it's not revealing to us what it's really supposed to be about, it's not inspiring us or highlighting the "shockabsorber-types of people in our lives". When you tell me what it's supposed to be about, I see where you mean to draw the comparisons and I can see the outlines of your ideas clearly. I see exactly what you intend for me to see with the comparison. But without you here, we're thinking it's about cars, because we don't have something to compare the shock-absorbers to.

When most people write poetry on this site, they do a really easy thing. They use words like "I" "he" "you" "she" "he" etc. and throughout the poem, it's never explained who these pronouns are supposed to be about. What happens when they use those words without explanation is that the readers can substitute those pronouns to mean ANYBODY and relate to the poem because pronouns literally stand in for anybody. Anybody can step into the shoes of a pronoun.

You did something different! You did something refreshing and fun and exciting. Instead of using pronouns ambiguously, you went straight and said the "I" in the poem is a "shock-absorber".

A confused, perplexed being I am,
They call me a shock absorber.


And we took that to mean that the poem is about a shock absorber and about cars and about the life of a shock absorber through the eyes of a car. It's personification. You're using the shock absorber as a "being" as though the car were a spiritual entity that is speaking. This is what the reader sees.

Perhaps what you meant and intended was to draw the direct comparison and say that the person in the poem is like a shock absorber. And the person in the poem is saying here in that line, that they are a shock-absorber type of person. That's probably where the disconnect is happening.

Does this help? ~_~

Again, I don't think the confusion occurs due to the English, your words, your ideas and voice are fresh! Rather, this is a -very- common problem that all writers, new and old, have in communicating their ideas and why this site exists. We get better at this by slowing down and by re-writing and re-writing again. I don't mean to argue or drone on, but I wish to be clear on where the confusion is coming from, and if you agree that there is a confusion happening, then I can share some thoughts on how to fix it, or perhaps just in highlighting, you may be able to fix on your own.



DrFeelGood says...


Hey, Audy, I am sorry for the late reply! I will give a detailed response to reply on your wall if you don't mind.

Thanks!



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 45
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 am
Los3rLov3 wrote a review...



Hello, los3r lov3 here.

This was a lovely poem. I'm not sure how you could interpret the lines but I saw it as inspirational. If that's what you were going for (or not) this was great! I'm not exactly sure what you could improve on since others have said, 'heart and soul is the same, and blah blah blah.' So basically this compliments. I really love the all the metaphors and such in your poem. In this it's really important to have them or you'd be blabbing on about something irrelevant. Anyway I hope you liked this even if it was useless. Thanks for the read!

lov3,

a los3r




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 844
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:03 am
View Likes
klennon14 wrote a review...



Wow, love the symbolism here! A shock absorber is a bold symbolizer to take on, but I think you tackled it well! There's a few technical things that could be ironed out but I won't nitpick. I like the idea here, it's original, it's fresh and the overall rhythm is good. The poem as a whole is almost-what's a good word...I almost want to say empowering? Because the more the shock absorber is hit the better it becomes.

Really enjoyed this,

Happy writing

Kali L.




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:04 am
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Yams here for a review!

My soul resides in the driver’s seat,

But my heart’s inside four tires.


What's the difference between a soul and a heart in poetry? To me the lines blur in what you're trying to say because they could be swapped and no one would really tell the difference. It just confuses me as what you're trying to say.

Moving on to the entire piece. I liked the way you compared everything to a car and I enjoyed it though I felt like you could've done /more/ with it and that it had more potential as with losing control or not paying attention to driving, stuff like that, etc. That doesn't mean I didn't still like the poem.

Some of the poem I don't feel has to do with the car parts which kinds of goes off topic.

Have a great day!




DrFeelGood says...


Like I said in the response to the last review, this poem wasn't about cars. Shock absorber was a metaphor for a person who faces trouble because of others but stays optimistic.

Anyways, Thanks for the review.



Virgil says...


Well I'm an idiot. Sorry. xD



User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:40 pm
View Likes
soundofmind wrote a review...



I don't know if cute is the ideal word you'd like for me to use to describe this poem, but, it is really cute. Maybe it's just the fact that it's about an inanimate object, but it's just adorable to hear the shock absorber describe it's function and the struggles it faces.

I'm not too familiar with how cars work, but you did a great job of making it really understandable, even in a little poem.

I feel like you did a great job of giving human-like thoughts of the shock absorber. You did personification in a way that didn't feel forced or exaggerated, it felt very natural. I think part of the reason you pulled it off so well was because of how you led into it with:

My soul resides in the driver’s seat,

But my heart’s inside four tires.


You immediately establish that the shock absorber has a soul and a heart, it's just set up differently than how we humans are used to. I'd go so far as to say you even made the shock absorber a relatable object in the verse:

It affects me a lot, but I don’t stop my work.

The more you hit me, the better I become.


That last line gives the reader something to really connect with. It made me admire the shock absorber for it's ability to get stronger in the midst of all that it pushes against every day. It was also cool that the shock absorber even had a source of inspiration and motivation - as if the airbag was it's role model!

Great job on your poem! I really enjoyed it, and welcome back from your hiatus!




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks for kind words.

It's more like Shock absorber is a metaphor for a human who's suffering pain inflicted by others. I tried using personification within a metaphor. :)



soundofmind says...


Ah! I should've suspected as much. No problem!




You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan