All That We Are: Chapter 1

by moonpolice

I sat on the edge of the pier, a diet coke in my hands. The wind blew my hair around my face. It was getting dark, and I was ready to go home, but I had twenty more minutes until my mother would arrive to pick me up.

“Lake? Lake!”

I turned and grinned as my best friend, Alden, jumped up onto the ridge beside me. “Hey! What are you doing here?”

He shrugged. “Oh, you know. Chilling. Hanging around. The kind of stuff people do on a Saturday night.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “You’re scoping out the hot boys, aren’t you?”

Alden scoffed at me. “I am so surprised at you. How could you, my best friend, think that I would ever stoop so low?”

“So it’s been a slow night?”

“I thought that gay people loved Chicago.”

I laughed and put my head on Alden’s shoulder. Alden and I have been best friends since the first day of kindergarten, when a bully named Albert Rosch pushed me over. Alden punched him in the nose, and all three of us got suspended, but Alden and I have been inseparable since.

“Oh, there’s a cute one.” Alden said, looking over the top of my head. “Super tall. Blond. Totally not gay, but totally looking at you, Lakey.”

I looked up. Sure enough, there, about twenty feet away, was a tall blond. He looked like he was trying hard not to look at us, but every time he turned his head to keep the wind from blowing his hair in his face, his eyes would linger on me.

It was kind of freaking me out, so I looked away. “No, he’s not, Alden. Stop it.”

Alden shrugged in a way that said he knew I was lying, but he let it go. Eventually, the boy pushed away from the fence and walked away.

When we walked into school on Monday, Alden was, as always, attached to my arm, talking a mile a minute. We attended Chicago High School for the Arts, better known as Chiarts, so it wasn’t that strange to see Alden done up in crazy makeup or costumes. Today, he was dressed in a suit, which wouldn’t have been strange, except that the whole thing, from the buttons on his jacket to his shoes, was a bright shade of pink. He reminded me of a horrible prom picture from the 80’s.

“I’m telling you,” He said as we slid into our desks in our first class, American Literature. “The monochromatic look is totally in this season.”

“Whatever you say.” I rolled my eyes as I pulled out my worn-out copy of East of Eden. It was probably my favorite book, and I had read it so many times that there were fingerprints on the corners on some of the pages.

Just as I was settling into the world of the ever-appealing words of John Steinbeck, Alden hit me hard in the shoulder. “Ow! What?”

He didn’t look at me, just stared and pointed forward. I followed his gaze, and my jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

As if by some sort of twisted, messed-up miracle, tall, blond, totally-not-gay, totally-checking-me-out, guy-from-the-pier was standing at the front of the room, a transfer slip in his hand.

zsmith wrote a review...

Hey there!
The first thing that strikes me in the first paragraph is the description - or, lack of. You've done an alright job at setting the scene, but i feel like it could be better to paint a really clear picture. Such as, is the pier wooden or concrete? Is the main characters hair being whipped around their face blond or brown or what? Is the location dark, cold, smelly, peaceful? Are there lots of people about? You say its getting dark, but maybe you could describe the sunset or twilight, and show us more surroundings. I'm just having a hard time picturing the peir and understanding what type of location it is to the main character. I think it might be the local teenage hang out? Why is Lake there alone? Is Lake sitting there enjoying the view? What does the view look like? There's just so much I can't see at the moment. Remember the main senses when you're writing; sight, sound, smell, and touch. Then there's also the emotional sense of things. Lake feels ready to go home, but does Lake feel impatient, bored, peaceful... why is Lake ready to go home? What was Lake doing previously?

I like the background story for how the two of them met, it's really sweet. I also like how you straight up say that Alden is gay, because most stories with gay characters have them coming out at later in the story, so its refreshing to read about someone who is already "out of the closet".

Just one nit-pick:
"“I’m telling you,” He said as we slid..."
"He" doesnt need to start with a capital letter since it follows a comma.

Nice job ending on a cliff hanger. I like it!

This was a little short, but it sets the scene for the rest of the story, which is good. I'm off to review chapter two now!

-Zsmith

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:32 am
RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, moonpolice. I was planning on reading your second chapter but I hadn't read your first one yet so... why not?! I liked this very much and I think I'm going to read the second chapter so prepare to see me again.

1st off: This was a little short but it left me wanting to read the second chapter.

2nd: Your sentences are a little choppy, which can easily be mended if you read allow and think, "How can I make this flow better?" Usually it's really simply. Like just add a conjunction in there somewhere or make a noun clause. Little things like that.

3rd: I thought it was lacking in description. Tell what Lake looks like: beautiful eyes? brown hair? fair skin? short? tall? Imagination is good but you don't want your reader to always be guess.

4th: A common mistake ever writer makes is rushing the story. Take your time add some details, put in some humor, action, drama. You know what I mean (I hope).

Keep writing and NEVER get discouraged!

moonpolice says...

Thanks for all your feedback. I really appreciate it. I do need to work on my flow, which is hard for me, since I type the way I talk a lot of the time.
You'll be happy to hear that in chapter three, you get a (brief) description of Lake, along with a little bit of character background. It's not much, but I hope it'll help a little bit.
From Police Headquarters,
Moon

RubyRed says...

Cool!

omuii wrote a review...

Hey, welcome to the site!

I'm new to YWS too, and this is my first review actually, so sorry if it's a little lacking or anything!

This is a great chapter to start off the story, and I like how simple the writing is. The details are all straightforward and to-the-point, and it makes for an easy read that flows really well. From the start, you've created an interesting friend duo (Lake and Alden) that draws the reader in, and I like that you've already alluded to their past and the story of them being friends. And as someone who's LGBTQA+, I have to say that I love that you've included a gay protagonist. It's becoming more and more common-ground in recent years to have LGBTQA+ characters, and I'm very happy to see that you're contributing to this.

There are a few grammatical errors but, from what I can tell, the other reviewers have already covered the ones I've noticed, so I'm not going to be too repetitive on that. But in general, I love this first chapter, and I look forward to reading more!

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 am
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi there moonpolice! Welcome to YWS.

I felt that this was a fairly easy read. Your way with words is quite straightforward and simple which I appreciate. There is nothing confounding my understanding of what is going on and everything feels very real and yet terribly intriguing. Already, you've create a sentiment of interest around Lake and Alden and one can't help but ship them as a pair from the very beginning. Kudos to you on developing this so quickly and so early on!

I do admire the fact that you've chosen a gay protagonist. It's only the past few years that such topics have been included in fiction more, although it's important to be rather careful because it still remains a sensitive subject for some, even those belonging to the LGBTQIA+ group. Be mindful when writing such characters as you're going to want to be as accurate as possible or else include disclaimers. I don't doubt you've done your fair share of digging.

At the moment, this sort of reminds me of the book Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan (?), just in the way that it's written and the sort of friendship between Alden and Lake. Of course, I can't base your chapter off of much right now because it's so short but I'm curious to see how this will develop because right now, in spite of its wonderful easiness, there's not a whole lot of special about it. It is unique in ways, but there is nothing that makes it shine stronger the average teeny fiction. I feel like you definitely have the time and space in this chapter to maybe elaborate a bit more on Lake as a character because right now I feel like I have more insight on Alden than the main character, which is a bit of an issue. Because this is in first person, it would be nice to take advantage of the fact that we are supposed to be in Lake's head as it is - perhaps give us a few more subjective thoughts. I want to know more about this kid.

A few nitpicks:

jumped up onto the ridge beside me.

I think you mean "ledge" because a "ridge" is more part of a rock formation, like the ridge of a mountain. However, a ledge can imply something mankind, like the tip of a pier, for example ;)

He reminded me of a horrible prom picture from the 80’s.

In stories, numerals tend to take away from the writerly aspect of things. Perhaps consider writing this out? Ex: eighties instead of 80s.

and I had read it so many times that there were fingerprints on the corners on some of the pages.

Technically, fingerprints are on literally everything a human touches. Because of this, I'm not a huge fan of this sentence because it doesn't properly convey how well-loved and read the book is. Perhaps it would make sense if Lake read the book eating things that stained or were greasy? Otherwise, the fingerprints isn't anything particularly special or out-of-the-ordinary to describe a well-used novel.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read and I'd be interested in reading any subsequent chapters. Of course, I'm curious to get to know Lake more intimately, so I would encourage you to focus on that because Alden seems like the more interesting character right now when, really, we should be more bent on Lake :P Be mindful of social barriers and what challenges in life your characters might face due to their orientation. Otherwise, I think this piece has great potential, both socially and in literature!

Thanks for the good read!

Best,
Lav

moonpolice says...

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll take it into consideration, both in editing and in writing in my next chapters.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Lake is, in fact, a girl. I realizes that this raises a whole bunch of new editing problems, and I'm reading through it as we speak. Sorry.

Lavvie says...

Oh dear, my apologies! Obviously, you'll need to make that clearer. Good luck!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:13 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...

Hey, welcome to the site! C:

I have to admit, teen fiction is sort of relaxing for me. I don't know why, it just sort of is that way. Anyway, your chapter here was no exception; I saw it was a teen fiction novel and thought "Ohh, that sounds like a nice read".

I'd like to say; good for you for having a gay character- mostly because that's not too commonly done. On the other hand I feel like gay male characters are far more common then some other sexual orientations and genders.

I laughed and put my head on Alden’s shoulder. Alden and I have been best friends since the first day of kindergarten,

Here you switch from past to present tense. Super easy fix though- just put "had" instead of "have". The other thing I wanted to mention about this line and the paragraph it was in I didn't really feel interested by Alden and Lake's(?) back story. To me it just feels like a really common friend history where one of them saved the other from something and now they're best friends forever. I mean, it could very well happen and those kinds of things I'm sure do happen, but they're a bit overdone in my opinion. But the cool thing about overdone things is you can make them less overdone simply by mixing things up a bit. For instance, instead of Alden punching the bully in the nose, he could have done something more outrageous like dump his milk down the bully's back, or hold him down and draw love letters on his arm- those aren't the best examples, but the idea is to make the back-story (or anything in writing, really) unique- and it makes it a lot more fun, too! Another bonus to this is you'd show us a lot more of Alden's character.

I like this line. It's great because you show us just how much she likes that book- and you did so in a way that was different! I'm trying to think of an example cliche for this that you avoided but I can't seem to remember any. The only thing I wanted to mention with this is the sentence could have a lot more power if you made it more direct. If you take out "on some" you have and I had read it so many times that there were fingerprints on the corners of the pages. Less really is more when it comes to descriptions.

Overall I think this novel is off to a good start! How's chapter two coming? Keep it up! ^_^

See you around!

-Socks

moonpolice says...

Hey, Socks!
Thanks so much for your reply. I read the whole thing, and I will absolutely take your advice into consideration.
I'm currently working on Chapter 2. I'm hoping that it'll be done by Monday, but I've never been very good at keeping to a schedule, so I'm not making any promises. It will be out soon, though!

Holysocks says...

Ooh, that's good to hear you're working on the next chapter! c:

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic