z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

Return to Oblivion Draft

by dracowave


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Return to Oblivion

Prologue 

I have always wondered, who is the true creator of us gods? Is it a man or woman, or perhaps simply a concept? Is it just an existence that creates the systems that lower organisms like us become the cogs for or are we simply the cogs themselves? Why do we truly exist? Were we created to cure its unending boredom? Are we considered its children? Does it want to usurp us and control our every action, treat us like puppets in a play or characters in a game? No one knows the true meaning of its existence not even the most renowned, intelligent and powerful gods themselves. All they know is that they came into existence with a power far beyond all others and how they use that power is up to them. 

I have been through countless wars against gods from nearly every pantheon in existence. I have fought against the strongest of Greek gods, Norse gods, Roman gods and many more. I came into existence billions of years ago, not sure why I was created or who even created me. Even Zeus and Odin the leaders of the Greek and Norse gods don’t have a clue. I was alone for billions of years but I have made a few acquaintances over the years. One of those acquaintances is a powerful goddess named Ki

“Hurry up Ace we have business to take care of and you’re wasting our time.”

Uhh... like I was saying before I was interrupted, this is Kira the Goddess of equilibrium. She's an amazingly powerful and intelligent goddess, but she can be a bit… Intolerable to pretty much everything.

I met her recently while facing off against a group of “Shadow beasts” as I would call them. I'm not exactly sure how they were created but what I do know is that they were created through the power of Chaos. Our meeting was pretty interesting and went a little something like this--

Chapter 1…

Thousands of gods have suddenly disappeared recently, most likely do to these... Shadow creatures. They don't seem to have a definitive shape but they aren't very appealing to look at. Some of them have a humanoid shape while others appear to be jumbled up amalgamations. Their shadowy appearances seem to be accented by the cold, darkness of space. 

“Take that you bastards looks like you aren’t so tough after al-- what the hell?” A wave of dark electrical energy, similar to mine is shot at me with insane speed. Did he just replicate my attack? What the hell are these things? Could they possibly be adapting to my attacks and growing stronger with every second? If that’s the case, then I don’t think I can win as I am right now.

The shadows surrounded me, charged up their energy and released it with vigor. With my speed I narrowly dodged their attacks and fired back with my own, which destroys a few more of them in the process. Unfortunately for me the more I destroyed the more they appeared leaving me in an awkward spot.

“Shit why are you monsters so damn persistent". What is it going to take to destroy them! It seems like the more I destroy them the more they appear.

With my energy slowly fading away, I had no choice but to take drastic measures. I allowed them to attack me all at once and as they combined together, I was going to destroy them all together. But I realized that was a mistake when they bound my arms and legs and released a large burst of dark energy.

Using my right arm as a means of escape, I charged energy into it and then cut it off and threw it towards them with great force, causing them to temporarily be distracted, which gave me more than enough time to dodge. I used my power to move myself to a new location and come up with a better strategy.

Now what does one do to fight off millions of powerful multiplying shadows. I had thought to myself as I began recovering my energy I heard a strange sound. "Hm? What was that sound? I could hear several large explosions along with… Gunshots. “

Unfortunately, as I went to check, the shadows had found me and attacked me once again. With my energy recovered, I destroyed a few of them and went on the move again. I blasted them one by one while flying through several planets; destroying them in the process.

I preferred not to destroy the planets as they were part of what made my universe so beautiful but, desperate times call for desperate measures. While moving I ran into a amalgam of shadows and inside of its dark core I found that several gods had been absorbed by it and were being used as an energy source.

Hm! So that explains the multiplying and regeneration. I thought to myself as I moved away from it. Shit if I keep on destroying them then the gods inside will die too. Of course that's not really my problem but I would prefer to avoid it if I can.

Inside of the blob I noticed a certain powerful and very annoying war God and before I could react I was attacked and overwhelmed by black flames. This is… Ares power dammit even when he's not conscious he's trying to make my life miserable.

The flames surrounded me and my body was trapped in a vortex of black flames. The flames seared my flesh deeply. Several burn marks appear all over my body but luckily the pain is nearly nonexistent.

Suddenly I felt a pure yet dark aura cover my body. A loud bang along with a burst of light engulfed the area blinding me and erasing the shadows before me. Huh? What the hell was that?

From the light came an exceptionally beautiful Goddess with incredibly long red hair. She wore a stylish black and red dress adorned with pure energy crystals and held two guns; one black and one white.

She had a blank and icy gaze reminiscent of a queen looking down upon her subjects and icy blue eyes to compliment her gaze. She had a naturally annoyed expression and a pretty bad attitude to match.

“Hey dumbass,” she shouted, “If you don’t want to get absorbed I advise you get the hell out of the way. Sheesh they make anyone gods nowadays; why don’t you make yourself useful and distract them while I attack. You’re doing a great job by the way” she yells in an angry tone.

She’s a sassy one aint she. I then responded to her in an equally sassy tone

“Thanks for your help sweetheart but I’d appreciate it if you could drop the sarcasm thank you very much. So who are you anyway.”

“Don’t worry about it just hurry up and fight; and don’t get in my way or else you’ll end up full of holes.”

“Haaaa!” She aims her two guns and shoots out several bullets that take the shadows down one by one. As the bullets hit them they split in half and the halves destroy each other. Hm! Her power is very interesting I wonder what it could be.

“Duly noted Mrs. Goddess guess I’m gonna have to get a little serious myself. Let’s see if you bastards can handle this! Oblivion blade!” I unleashed my blade and sliced right through the shadows.

“So you fight with a blade?” she asked. “Huh not very common among gods. Although it seems that it doesn’t have an effect on them, pretty pathetic aren’t you?”

A large explosion then rang out and along with that explosion came a large rift in the space where my blade was swung. The shadows all bellowed a pained cry as the rift opened wider enveloping them and swallowing them whole.

Once the rift finally disappeared the space that it opened in also disappeared leaving nothing behind. “You were saying. I’m doing a horrible job aren’t I? You must be really disappointed in me.”

“Tchh!” She clicked her teeth in anger at my snide comment. “Don’t get cocky there are more for us to handle so get your ass in gear.”

Dammit he’s stronger than I expected him to be and what was that ability the blade had no effect on them but the shadows were completely… Erased. Looks like I have to be extra cautious around him

As she was thinking to herself the shadows had surrounded her and charged up energy releasing dark energy beams that move towards her with blistering speed.

“Dammit what the hell are you doing you idiot. why the hell are you staring into space.” I rushed towards her as fast as I could, I used my body to shield her from their attacks. I successfully protected her from any damage, I on the other hand, sustained serious injuries. I began coughing up blood and my body became completely numb. My sword dropped from my hands and landed On a small brown planet.

Soon enough their attacks all stopped and they began to vibrate. The shadows all began to form into one giant and very ugly mass. When Kira saw the mass that had formed she grabbed me and teleported away to safety.

She had taken me to a nearby planet and used her power to shroud it in darkness. She had put me on the ground and left for a few minutes. My vision was blurry from my injuries so I couldn't see much of the planet but I could tell it was quite serene and full of life.

In an attempt to try to scout the area I slowly but surely had lifted my body up to look but I was immediately pushed back down by a certain red headed goddess and in the next moment. —

“You idiot” She shouted in a ferocious yet soft tonewhy did you protect me, you should have left me to die, you don't even know me” My tank was running on empty but I still had enough energy to respond “I couldn't just leave a cute goddess like you to die. Besides you just saved my life so you’re kinda contradicting yourself aren't ya?”

“Shut the hell up this isn't the time to be snide your life is in danger!” Despite her anger she was quite worried about me. “Don't worry” I responded “all I need to do is recover my energy then I can heal myself.”

After I had said that her expression had changed from worried to angry again. “Who said I was worried about you. I only saved you because you saved me nothing more! Now keep still I'm going to heal you myself. As she had said that she had placed one hand on my chest and the other on her own.

“Counterbalance,” she had shouted. A large wave of energy began to flow through my body. “What is this my body is… What did you do”? My body had been completely healed of all of its energy. But in return…

“Ughaa!”

She screamed loudly as her skim began to turn black and blood began spurting from her body sporadically, but strangely enough she had begun laughing.

“Haha! Sheesh, your durability is amazing I'm surprised you could h-handle this p-pain so easily.

“H-how did you do that? How did you transfer my injuries into your body”? She had then placed her hand on the ground, then in the next instant Her skin had regained its color and in return the once beautiful and serene planet had become a completely barren wasteland.

At the time I was in awe of her power as it was something I had never seen before. “Hm? What kind of power is that it seems different from healing or damage transfer, it's something much more than that isn't it”? “Don't worry about it,” she retorted. “My power is none of your business. All you need to know is that it healed you and that's that.”

Feisty isn't she, but…that's part of her “charm” I guess. “Now then let's get back to more important matters. We obviously can't beat those things on our own so it looks like we are going to need some assistance.”

She seems quite certain that we can't win on our own but…

“Hey are you listening to me idiot! Do you know anyone that can help us out or at least defeat these things?

When she asked that I thought of one God in particular who was probably having fun with the situation. But I didn't think that asking for his help was a good idea for reasons. Plus, finding him was near impossible anyway. “Nope I don't know anyone.” “Tchh” she clicked her teeth. I swear you're completely useless.”

“Hey I know this is sudden but how did you become so strong, and what’s with those guns that’s a strange weapon for a god especially a goddess. Most goddesses usually prefer to fight with staves so why did you choose to fight with guns.”

“That’s a long story,” she replied. “But to give the short version my power is pretty massive and I don’t have complete control over it.”

“This entire quadrant along with millions of others would be destroyed if my power goes out of control. So in order to contain my massive power my sister created these guns that work as power limiters.”

She held her guns in the air. “If these didn’t exist I could have defeated those shadow bastards with absolute ease. But the cost would be too much to bear so I have no choice but to use my guns instead.”

At the time I was quite baffled and also excited to hear that there was someone who was as strong as I am. 

“Sheesh you’re strong already with the guns I couldn’t imagine how strong you would be without them. Wait… did you say sister?” 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 708
Reviews: 75

Donate
Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:32 am
ChieTheWriter wrote a review...



Ohhh mystical stuff. What's to said has already been said. Gah I should have gotten to this sooner. Anyhow, it think this is cool! Try to maybe cut down on the amount of dialogue, either that or add more "other" content and split this into two chapters. Couple probably-already-covered-nitpicks: You mixed the present and past tense, missed an apostrophe here and there, but besides that you're good.

Man, I really couldn't find anything else "wrong" here, so keep up the good work!

~ Me




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 7
Reviews: 48

Donate
Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:34 am
Jyva wrote a review...



sorry for the extremely late response - i was on vacation and forgot about this until someone asked for a review in my thread and i looked. anyway.


>No one knows the true meaning of its existence not even the most renowned, intelligent and powerful gods themselves.

need comma after "existence"


>I have been through countless wars against gods from nearly every pantheon in existence. I have fought against the strongest of Greek gods, Norse gods, Roman gods and many more. I came into existence billions of years ago, not sure why I was created or who even created me. Even Zeus and Odin the leaders of the Greek and Norse gods don’t have a clue. I was alone for billions of years but I have made a few acquaintances over the years. One of those acquaintances is a powerful goddess named Ki—

so this guy's like billions of years old. why does he sound like a kid? why is this omnipotent super-powerful being even talking to our mortal reader?


>“Hurry up Ace we have business to take care of and you’re wasting our time.”

need some grammar in there. "Hurry up, Ace. We have business to take care of, and you're wasting our time."
i'd consider using "my" instead of "our" there, seems to fit this character more.


>Uhh... like I was saying before I was interrupted, this is Kira the Goddess of equilibrium. She's an amazingly powerful and intelligent goddess, but she can be a bit… Intolerable to pretty much everything.

i'm getting this Rick Riordan vibe. you ever read the Percy Jackson series? this sounds exactly like that series, except a lot more amateur. that wasn't a criticism just something i noticed anyway moving on


>I met her recently while facing off against a group of “Shadow beasts” as I would call them. I'm not exactly sure how they were created but what I do know is that they were created through the power of Chaos. Our meeting was pretty interesting and went a little something like this--

OW YOU JUST HIT ME WITH LIKE THREE CLICHES AT ONCE GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY MAN


>Dammit these shadows are strong as all hell it’s no wonder so many gods have been defeated and absorbed.

this is... okay, blanket criticism here so i don't have to say it again and again. your grasp on realistic dialogue seems to be shaky from what i'm seeing. you've got a run-on sentence here. think: would your character actually think like that?
"Damn it, these shadows are strong as all hell. It's not wonder so many gods have been defeated and absorbed."
go through all your dialogue/character's thoughts again and fix em


>“Looks like I’m gonna have to step my game up. Haaaa! Oblivion Spark!” A wave of black electrical energy shot forward and disintegrated a large number of the shadows.

gimme a sec i need to giggle.
ok
NOBODY GIVES NAMES TO THEIR "MOVES" AND THEN YELLS THEM OUT AS THEY'RE DOING THEM. THAT'S JUST DUMB. IT'S DONE IN ANIME AND CARTOONS BUT THIS AIN'T AN ANIME OR A CARTOON, DANG IT.
like just imagine a robber running up to you and going "Pistol shot!" at you before shooting. you'd die thinking "i got killed by a freakin' idiot." it also ruins any element of surprise you have...
"looks like i'm gonna have to step my game up" isn't something a billions-of-years-old god would be saying. it's also super cliche. i'm trying to avoid mentioning naruto but it's hard.

i reckon you need to work hard on realistic dialogue. try to think of how these characters would talk if they were real people, not... anime characters.




User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Megrim wrote a review...



Hello there, Megrim here to review as requested, and what a fun story you have here. I looove the imagery of blasting through PLANETS as they fight. I got the sense of this huge, epic scale, godly space battle.

I've made a few notes while I read on the areas I think you could most look at for improvement:

1. Grammar and punctuation errors - I'd especially recommend reviewing comma use, because there were lots of sentences missing the appropriate commas. There were also a lot of typos, especially near quotation tags.

2. Exposition - A lot of times, the character explains stuff to us in his dialogue or thoughts, in kind of an awkward and unnatural way. That is, it's obvious it's the author talking to the reader, as opposed to the natural train of thought for the character. For example, even that first sentence: Dammit these shadows are strong as all hell it’s no wonder so many gods have been defeated and absorbed. If you were in a fight for your life, you probably wouldn't be phrasing it that way, telling yourself things you already know. Rather, the way that was phrased suggests you want the reader to understand that lots of gods have been defeated and absorbed. I'd recommend a more subtle approach--imply things, slip it in through thoughts that brush up against it but don't spell everything out completely, etc.

3. POV - Thought this is written in first person, at one point the narrative head-hops into Kira's thoughts, which is a breach of POV.

4. Description, especially of specifics - I've put this one last because it's the most important. This was the really big thing that stood out to me while reading, and the number one area that will take your writing to the next level. While reading, I found I had a hard time knowing what to picture, and I conjured up a lot of defaults. For instance when I realized he was smashing through PLANETS, I was like, whoah cool! I had no idea they were out in space. I didn't have a very good image of the enemies, or the injuries he sustains, or what his surroundings are like, etc. I think you could spend some time delving into the five senses and describing what the reader should picture, and what the character is experiencing. For example...

The flames surrounded me and caused severe damage to my body.

Damage how? Where? What does it feel like for a god to be injured like this? Is it his limbs? His lungs? Burns, bleeding, stinging?

Or closer to the beginning...

A wave of black electrical energy shot forward and disintegrated a large number of the shadows.

I like the "black electrical energy," but I don't know what else to picture. How big are the shadows? Are they humanoid, or just blobs? Do they have any substance? Where is all this taking place? How far away are they? You don't have to answer *every* single question, but I could really use with some more information to ground me in the scene and know what to picture.

Good luck and happy writing! Lots of potential here.




User avatar


Points: 276
Reviews: 3

Donate

User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 512
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:22 pm
TwinCityKitty wrote a review...



Hi Dracowave!

I really like when religion, philosophy, or mythology shows up in fiction, even (or especially) when it's not my own. So thanks for that!

Overall, I think that you should continue to work on your use of quotation marks, commas, and sentence pacing. If you'll PM me, I can help you on some grammar specifics. I've put my nitpicks below. They only cover the first page, because your grammar errors were pretty consistent.

Another thing to consider is to use tense to establish time frame. For instance, using "I said," for a scene in the present, but using "I had said," when your character is recalling his past.

That said, you have a lot of good action and interesting characterization. I think that your story could benefit from yet stronger imagery. You can use sounds (the crackle of electricity), smells (of ozone), or even bodily sensations (tingling in the fingers) to create an immersive experience for the reader.

---

Are they just existences that create the systems that lower organisms become the cogs for; but why do they truly exist?


The use of "existences" is quirky; I would have chosen a word like "beings," "intelligences," or "minds." This isn't a bad thing. Just be aware that it's going to look quirky.

If you're going for quirky, then keep using "existences," but reinforce the word as a distinct idea throughout your story. "Muggle" is also a quirky word, but J. K. Rowling was able to breathe new meaning into it by reinforcing its use throughout her novels.

If you're not going for quirky, then use a word like "being."

I would also suggest separating the following into two sentences:

Are they just existences that create the systems that lower organisms become the cogs for? Why do they truly exist?

Or to usurp us and control our every action and treat us like puppets in a play or characters in a game?


My old English teacher would point out that the "correct" way to write this would be
Or to usurp us, control our every action, and treat us like puppets in a play or characters in a game?


I would tell my English teacher that most people don't naturally talk that way. This is another choice that's more about style than correctness. If your protagonist is a walking Strunk & White, I would go with my English teacher's advice. If your protagonist is a more everyday person, I would go with your original version.

No one knows the true meaning of their existence not even the gods themselves. All they know is that they came into existence with a power far beyond all others and how they use that power is up to them.


In general, you'll want to put commas in the same places that you put pauses in your speech. Pace yourself.

No one knows the true meaning of their existence, not even the gods themselves. All they know is that they came into existence with a power far beyond all others, and that how they use that power is up to them.


I also added "that" so that you can add greater separation to the thoughts "came into existence with a power far beyond all others," and "how they use that power is up to them." How about that?

I have been through countless wars against gods from nearly every universe in existence. I have fought against the strongest of Greek gods, Norse gods, Roman gods, and many more.


Throughout all of those battles I have asked them these questions and none of them have been able to provide me with a concrete answer.


He asked them these questions during battle?

"The names Ace I’m just one of countless numbers of gods from the last of one billion quadrants of universes. The lone god who came into existence billions of years ago not really sure why he was created or who even created him."
Even Zeus, and Odin the leaders of the Greek and Norse gods don’t have a clue. Throughout all of these fights there have been two gods by my side; the first is a goddess named"--


Why did you suddenly start using quotes here? It's confusing to the reader.

I'm also confused by the phrase "last of one billion quadrants of universes." Does "last" mean "most recently created," "most remote," or something else? Does "quadrants of universes" mean "quadrants within a universe," or "groups of universes"?

I'm going to make a few grammatical corrections to your writing. Take notice of where I've removed redundant information, as well as where I've placed apostrophes, pauses, and sentence breaks.

The name's Ace. I'm just one of countless gods from the last few billion universes -- the lone god who cam into existence billions of years ago, not really sure why he was created or who even created him. Even Zeus and Odin don't have a clue. Throughout all of these fights there have been two gods by my side. The first is a goddess named --


“Why the hell are you talking to yourself, dumbass? We have things to do, so shut up and let’s go!" The redheaded goddess shouts.


In the following quote, I've capitalized "Goddess of Equilibrium," because it acts like a title. I've also added punctuation where it was needed:

“Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, this is Kira the Goddess of Equilibrium and a close friend of mine. We are currently preparing for a tournament between the gods, demon gods, and devils."


If the shadow wars are a specific group of conflicts, then they need to be capitalized, just like "World War 2" or "The Gulf War."

The reason I placed a comma after "simple" is because, if your were speaking this sentence, you would probably pause and inhale here. In writing, this helps reading feel more natural, as opposed to feeling like it's being spouted at the reader at 100 MPH.

Saying "the god's countless battles," implies that the countless battles belong to one god. If the gods in this sentence are plural, then you want to put an apostrophe after the "s": "the gods' countless battles."

How this tournament came about is pretty simple, and it pertains to how I met her during the shadow wars. This was a period of time when the negative energy, accumulated from the god’s countless battles, personified itself as our shadows.


At the end of the following paragraph, you can use an ellipsis (...), an em dash (--), or a colon (:) to tie this thought to the one that follows it:

Several gods were absorbed during this time, and I was deadlocked in a battle against hundreds of the shadows at once. I remember the insulting tone she used just like it was yesterday.


Italics are a perfectly fine way to indicate what a character is thinking. I personally prefer it, because it helps the reader distinguish thoughts from dialogue. Just be sure to treat the italicized words as though they were in quotes:

Dammit[b,[/b] these shadows are strong as all hell! It’s no wonder so many gods have been defeated and absorbed[b/], I thought to myself as I fought them.


I have two conceptual issues with the following scene: 1) Are we back in time? 2) I've never understood why characters call out their attacks; a quick-thinking enemy could easily counter their attack.

“Looks like I’m gonna have to step my game up. Haaaa! Oblivion Spark!”


In the following quote, I've separated "Did he just replicate my attack," and "what the hell are these things," into two separate sentences. They're separate questions, so they need to be written as such.

When your protagonist says, "Could they possibly be adapting to my attacks and growing stronger with every second," he is asking a question. "Growing stronger with every second" implies a certainty that contradicts "Did he just replicate my attack? What the hell are these things?". It would sound more natural if he said something like:

Did he just replicate my attack[b]? What the hell are these things? If they are adapting to my attacks, they could grow stronger by the second! If that’s the case, then I don’t think I can win.


English is a funny language. Two words that apparently mean the same thing, can actually have different "flavors" based on the sounds they use, the context they're usually seen in, or even their language of origin! In this case, "fatigue" is a word that I associate with gentle tiredness, especially associated with illness or hard work. This is just nitpicking, but I think "exhaustion" is a stronger word to use here.

I also deleted "suddenly" because, despite the meaning, a three-syllable word describing something sudden, can actually slow down the pace of writing.

Exhaustion was setting in, when a flash of light appears, blinding me and erasing the shadows in an instant.


Most of the grammar changes I'm making here relate to things I've already covered. But notice that, because the speaker doesn't change, you don't need to use a paragraph break.

“Hey, dumbass!" she shouted, "if you don’t want to get absorbed, I advise you get the hell out of the way! Sheesh, they make anyone a god nowadays. Why don’t you make yourself useful and distract them while I attack? You’re doing a great job, by the way!" she yells in angry tone.




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 144
Reviews: 38

Donate
Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:48 pm
Sarah12 wrote a review...



Hi! Sarah12 here to review, as requested. First of all, I would like to say, good job all around!

Loves: The concept of the story! It is really good. I'm a big fan of Greek mythology, so it's exciting to see a story such as this. I also like how you created the characters. Their dialogue is very developing of the characters, and fits into the story well. The flow isn't choppy, and it all fits nicely.

Nitpicks: Probably the only thing I see that needs a little more than minor improvements on is grammar. I found several instances where some grammar mistakes was distracting to the reader. I'll give you a few examples and explain how to fix it; if you want me to go through and help you with all of it, PM me!
First off, is the use of commas. The first time I noticed this was in the third paragraph of chapter 1. There should be a comma after "Ace", or even a semicolon would work. When you are doing deep editing, I would go through and read it out loud; anywhere where you hear a natural pause in the sentence, punctuation should be there. Anywhere where your voice lifts at the end of the sentence there should be a question mark.
Next is the quotation marks. I saw this several times. When using quotation marks for dialogue, the format should go- [quotation mark]Where did the time go?[quotation mark] she said. - so basically, the dialogue starts with a quotation mark, is continued by the sentence(s) the person says, then, if the last sentence didn't end in a quotation mark, put a comma, the end-quote quotation mark, then add the "he said" or "she said" tagline.
So really, dialogue is the only place where I see need for grammatical improvement. The monologue parts are written well.

Overall, good job on the writing! I hope to read more of your work in the future.

Sarah12

P.S. PM me if you have any questions, and if/when you post more of the story, can you notify me? I'd love to read more. Thanks!




User avatar
284 Reviews


Points: 4250
Reviews: 284

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:58 pm
RubyRed wrote a review...



Hey, dracowave. Keepwriting here to review your work as requested. I really enjoyed this. At the beginning I was kind of dreading reading about gods and stuff just cause it's usually really boring but I liked this story. I have a lot to go over though because of your placement and ordering. It was very confusing for me and hard to follow so I'm going to get in to how you can make that better.

But why do they truly exist?


This really doesn't contradict anything and it's one sentence so you don't need to put "but" there.

“Why the hell are you talking to yourself dumbass we have things to do so shut up and let’s go.”


This was a confusing brake in my reading cause you didn't have quotations before to indicate that he was talking aloud. I thought it was narration. Also, you have two complete thoughts here. So put a question mark after "dumbass" and capitalize "we." It would also help if you put a comma after "go" and tell who said that.

“Looks like I’m gonna have to step my game up.” Haaaa! Oblivion Spark!


If "Haaaa! Oblivion Spark!" is part of what he's saying--which I thought it was-- then you need to put it in the quotations with the rest of the sentence.

“5 minutes huh? I’m fired up I could last for hours if I needed to. I’ll show you whose boss around here you better watch like your life depends on it you may miss my greatness.”


5 needs to be written out because it's at the beginning of a sentence.

“Take this you miserable creatures” She shouts as she fires her guns...


Comma after creatures and lower case she.

“So did you guys have fun inside of those things. I was just busy fighting and surviving no thanks to you guys. Zeus lets loose a thunderous laugh that catches everyone’s attention and began to speak.”


Comma after so. "Zeus lets loose a..." doesn't need to be inside quotations because no one is saying that.

“What would you like I could give you a small portion of my quadrants or perhaps you’d like Zeus’s whatever you wish you can have.” They give me expectant looks as they allow me to speak.


Question mark after like. Period after Zeus'.

There is a lot more here that needs to be corrected but this review would be very long and tiresome to read if I list them all. The big thing here you need to work on is dialog. You need to make who's talking clearer so that the reader knows who's speaking otherwise reading isn't fun anymore because you're always second guessing. Also, you need to check comma rules and quotation rules or at least go over them. I think that will help a lot. Last comment I have is: you don't need to place things so much. It makes your work look so much longer than it is.

I hope my review helped you in some ways. This piece needs a lot of work and a lot of things need correction but after you've done that I think it'll be so much more fun to read. Once again I'll say I really liked this piece. Just read it to yourself aloud and you'll see some things that need improvement. (:

~Keepwriting and never get discouraged!




User avatar
446 Reviews


Points: 28776
Reviews: 446

Donate
Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 am
View Likes
Yuriiko wrote a review...



Aloha Draco!

Spoiler! :
First off, I apologize for the delay of this review. I'll do my best here, so hope it will be worth the wait. Also just a heads up, most of the things mentioned below are entirely based on my honest opinion of this piece. I tend to be straightforward yet nitpicky. Most of the time, my reviews are heavily focused towards the inner core of the story and less on technicalities. If ever this comes out harsh, please don't get discouraged. I'm not professional (heck I'm billion times behind/away from it). I'm here because you summoned me purely out from the thought of guiding you and not the other away around. Anyway! Let's cut to the chase, shall we? ^^


Let's talk about the prologue. This is a great device to hook your reader's attention, but one should be careful on the execution without throwing us off. Here, it doesn't really leave me anything and lacks tension to hold my interest. There are strings of curiosity that suggest mystery, but it isn't established well enough to affect and entertain your readers.

We have no idea who is talking- is it the main character or a ghost narrator? I suggest that you go for a more elaborate and specific analysis, instead of the generic "what are they? what do they do?" For example, you can take it from Ace's perspective and introduce his character viewpoints without becoming tedious. Create a mini-scene. Let his insight engage the readers and unfold a bit of the approaching conflict to the story. Make the prologue relevant to your character and to your readers. Because for now, it doesn't seem to play a significant role here. Personally, your first chapter can stand alone without it. I feel like skipping the appetizer and just straightaway go to the next meal. But of course, this is merely a suggestion, it's totally up to you.

Moving on!

I have been through countless wars against gods from nearly every universe in existence. I have fought against the strongest of Greek gods, Norse gods, Roman gods and many more.

Throughout all of those battles I have asked them these questions and none of them have been able to provide me with a concrete answer.


Now, about the first chapter- let's first take a good look at your introduction. I'm quite iffy on this. It could've been more direct and stronger. At the moment, it comes out pretty vague and repetitive especially just after reading the prologue. Now this sort of gives me an idea that Ace is the prologue speaker? I'm not sure. Also, I believe the first few paragraphs can be condensed into fewer sentences. The other gods mentioned doesn't seem important as of now, they don't contribute any advancement yet to the story, so why should your readers care? I suggest slashing them out and focus first on Ace, the main character.

Speaking of which, there should be a stable stream of consciousness from your #0000FF ">main character. It's all over the place. His thoughts are detached from his dialogs which makes it hard to immerse myself to him and to the story. Since you're using first person, I suggest making everything coherent and personal from Ace's viewpoint. Remember, balance the four elements: thoughts, actions, dialogs and narrative. Reveal more emotions and reactions. Portray relevant detailed actions without overdoing it. And narrate as your characters participate and go along the story. Again, the key here is balance.

The others gods- well, they lack personality. They seem to share the same voice and come across as teenage 'gods', instead of the good ol' wise immortal individuals usually portrayed on books and movies. Since the story reveals a somewhat fresh and different perspective, perhaps try to be more specific and add significant descriptions of each characters presented, but without over-weighing your main character. Think: if we are having the difficulty to relate with Ace, how much more when it comes to the sub-characters? For example, I wished you had given more emphasis on Ace and Kira's relationship. I notice they have this certain closeness that's apparently different from the others. So, I know this is the first chapter but they're underdeveloped- like cutout cardboard- as the story progressed. The ambiguity of the characters' relationship should be reduced. Give them more depth. Turn on the windshields so we can get to know them better.

Now for the conflict. First of all, why was there a tournament? What was the sole purpose? How did it help in developing the plot? This chapter exhibited a fast-paced #0000FF ">action. Nothing wrong with that, I think it was interesting. However, in terms of set up, it could've been a lot neater. What you were trying to portray here was unclear from your reader's eyes. I had the difficulty to visualize the battle. A lot happened in this chapter that I was having a hard time to digest everything and to even care about it at all. Additionally, I found myself rereading a few lines, mostly character dialogs since it wasn't easy picking up on who was talking and who wasn't. Initially, it should be the immediate information a reader should acquaint with. To support the conflict, you can engage your readers by providing small chunks of backstory, but avoiding info-dumps.

Furthermore, the #0000FF ">setting wasn't quite established here. Where did it take place? An atmosphere buildup serves as the foundation to set the mood for the readers, but in this case, the chapter jumped straight ahead to conflict. I think the writing pace was rushed and the scene transitions came off jagged and choppy. Remember, there has to have fluidity and clarity. Take your time and let your MC explore and develop things without dragging your readers off to the story. Importantly, give your readers the opportunity to lose themselves so they can interweave each scenes and characters with ease.

Let's go to the the technicalities. Well, I won't delve much into it, but I will express some of my concerns here. First is the speech tags and punctuation. As what I mentioned earlier, without it, it has the tendency to confuse your readers. Secondly, the inconsistent verb tenses. Sometimes you switch from past to present tense, which adds more confusion to your readers because we don't know if you're incorporating flashbacks to a particular scene or just narrating a current situation. I suggest rereading this piece and smooth it out with a butter knife.

Kicking aside my nitpicky self, let's now get to the good things (with few additional comments I'm afraid, ugh I know). Your dialog is good and easy to read, but I think the story format itself has greatly affected its full potential in lifting up the story. As far as I can see, there are several places where it's awkwardly structured. So just be mindful of that. Secondly, I find their powers unique and charming, but like what I said earlier, the exposition should be organized and unified to increase the tension of the chapter.

Overall, I'm not much into stories with mythological theme, but I find this interesting and has loads (and loads) of potential. And oh another thing, try to reread the first chapter of your favorite book. Observe. What makes it enthralling? Take note of the good elements presented. If it doesn't, what are the missing points? What can be improved? See and reflect.

Lastly, there are good articles under the Knowledge Base tab that I recommend you to check out.

I apologize if you see this review (somewhat) harsh, but as I said, my intention is to fully give my best to help you with this piece. But of course, we all have our own writing styles. My suggestions are to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you have any questions, please let me know. ^^

Keep writing!




User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 pm
View Likes
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello dracowave, steampowered here with a review as requested!

My overall impression of the piece is that it has a huge amount of potential and I really love the concept of the gods, not to mention the mystery surrounding Ace, the lone god. I also like how much action you pack into your first chapter; personally I find long exposition uninteresting, but I love action and character development, both of which you show well.

Onto a few more critique-y bits:

Firstly, you really need to put your dialogue in speech marks, as it makes it confusing to read. There’s a lot of speech which is great, but since you don’t have any speech tags (such as “she said”) or speech marks, I found it difficult to understand who was talking when.

Secondly, as Lavvie pointed out, you use a lot of onomatopoeia (such as *boom*) and to be honest, this makes the whole thing read more like a graphic novel than a regular novel. You should try and describe the scene more without relying on onomatopoeia (perhaps *boom* could be replaced with “There was a booming sound”) If you do decide to use onomatopoeia (and in small doses it can be effective) then don’t put the sound effects in asterisks, but italicise them instead. In some places, the onomatopoeia plus the brackets made me wonder if you were trying to write a script or a novel, and hadn’t quite decided what you wanted to do.

Adding to this, I’d also suggest that things like “old man” shouldn’t be emboldened for emphasis, but italicised instead. Generally, I’d advise against making words bold as it’s not the most literary way of emphasising it.

Another small nitpick I have which is easily fixed is that numbers in literary works should generally written out as words, not as numerals. So “5” would become “five”, for example.

I think that’s the main issues, and I do apologise if my review was at all harsh. Like I said, you have an interesting concept here and I’d be interested to see more of this. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or want any further help, since I’d be more than happy to give you some really in-depth feedback if you’re struggling at all.

Other than that, keep writing!

-steampowered-




dracowave says...


Hey steampowered thanks for the review, you clarified a lot of things I need to improve/fix. Sorry about not adding speech marks to clarify but to be honest I still need to learn more about them before i start to incorporate them in my work. I was going to use them but since I don't know how to properly use them I didn't want to use them incorrectly and add more mistakes. I know that adding in speech marks is needed in certain parts but I felt that adding in he said and she said to nearly every sentence would make the story feel more awkward. So I would really appreciate if you could give me some more speech marks/tags to use and make what i wrote easier to understand. Also regarding the onomatopoeia I used that rather than writing it out because i figured those reading would think I was just reaching for extra pages with the added dialogue so I decided to shorten it.



steampowered says...


You don't have to use speech tags (like "he said") all the time - you can just have some. As for the speech marks, you put one at the start of a character's dialogue and end it with that bit of dialogue. There are a couple of resources on YWS that I can link you to if that would help.

If you were to open a WFP and link me to it over PM, I'd be happy to go through and help you edit.



User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 18486
Reviews: 522

Donate
Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:38 pm
View Likes
Lavvie wrote a review...



Hi dracowave! I'm here to review as per request. Just a disclaimer that they may come across as a little harsh, but that is not at all what I've intended. I really just want to help you out.

This doesn't seem like a story at all. It seems like each new line is a different piece of dialogue coming from someone different, except there is no dialogue tag to identify which character. So, really, this feels like an incomplete script for some sort of action animation TV show... and yet, this is supposed to be a chapter? It's very confusing for the reader. Initially, I started out taking down notes for nitpicks but I feel like this chapter demands a much bigger overhaul so I'm going to pass on pointing out every little thing and focus on the fundamentals that you need to get going.

First, the biggest thing to focus on is general narration. In its current state, everything is very imprecise and unclear. I know that there is some sort of apocalyptic battle going on, but I have very few visuals of the scenes taking place, let alone an idea of who the characters are and who is doing what exactly. You'll want to craft a few well-rounded characters and identify a clear protagonist who will be the one your readers will focus on. When you've got them established, then you can move to working on interweaving them into a plot, which will make things a lot more coherent. Dialogue should not be the primary drive to your story. Otherwise, you should be writing screenplays instead of stories.

Dialogue needs to be properly formatted with quotation marks and correct grammar. Dialogue tags are extremely important to be able to identify the way things are being said and who is saying it. Check out this article on writing good dialogue. It is good to develop a healthy balance between description and dialogue, but first you need to make sure that you're doing both the right way.

You also use lots of onomatopoeias in your writing. Instead of just writing out the battle sounds, I suggest you describe what it is happening. That way, you will really flesh out your story and give it more substantial depth. It will end up taking the shape of a proper chapter instead of the skeleton of a script for screens. :)

Overall, you might want to look this over again and reflect on how the execution of your story is affecting the meaning and what you want to convey to your audience. I did like the idea - it seems very unique and interesting. I can tell you have a creative mind with lots of ideas!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Lav




dracowave says...


Hey Lav thanks for the review it helps out a lot. I know I need to work on identifying who's talking. because perspective in a story is a pretty big deal and i'm still working on figuring out the right way to introduce a characters dialogue after the other is done talking. Also, as far as grammar goes while i have a pretty general understanding of grammar and spelling, but when it comes to writing grammar is somewhat of a problem for me. I sometimes get stuck using grammar and punctuation such as when to use a comma or a semicolon or using ellipses or em dashes.
I know it's a little unorthodox when writing dialogue but I like to keep the characters dialogue regular, the characters thoughts in quotations and the background information in parenthesis. Do you think I should continue doing that or go for the regular approach? Once again thanks for the review and any further help would be appreciated.




What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines