Bookstore Boy

by Lightsong

Wearing a black shirt with “DYNAMIC” sewn on its back,
he treaded his way to the section where he was responsible at.

At a corner, two tall shelves rested against the walls
while smaller ones lined up between them.
In each of them were books in different sizes and thicknesses,
painted with colour ranging from red to yellow.
They were all pregnant,
and he needed to take care of them.

Looking at them, he sighed. This was not his dream section.
To see “workbooks” and “grammar guides” and “tackling the questions”
printed on their covers with thin, undecorated fonts
like shirts of tasteless brands.
Boring, boring, boring, he chanted in his mind
but another step he braved for,
and he reached out to the books, taking a blue out of the reds to put it into a bunch of blues.
These books sit only with their kinds, he thought.
How racist.

I’m a bookstore boy now. For the money.
The pay was small - only one K a month
before being reduced by insurance and whatnot
to a mini eight hundreds.
For an ex-student like him, it was still like having a pouch of golds.

A middle-age lady spoke to him, then, asking for a dictionary
of English-Mandarin
and he smiled as he should.
“This way, please,” he said, leading her with firm steps
to a section with “Dictionaries” labeling it at the top.
“Thank you, dear,” she expressed.
He left.

It was nothing much, but he accomplished something.
A hint of achievement, but of achievement, nonetheless.
He would be helping people - couples who wanted the best
for their children,
and young students who were determined to excel
to make their parents proud.
If that was what his job demanded him to do, then,
Bookstore Boy he gladly became.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:11 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...

Hi. Here to review as requested~ (So sorry for the lateness.)

I'll make this quick.

You have a very concrete idea here; it's simple, it's sweet, and it's prosaic. What's keeping the emotions from coming through to the reader, I think, is that it's a little too prosaic, with the last line ('Bookstore boy he gladly became') standing as an example of awkward-word-shuffling that stands out amongst all the other complete sentences with the consistent subject-verb-object syntax. The deal with poetry is that, unlike prose, you have the freedom of meddling with words and clipping away at the edges because, ultimately, it is the flow of your poem that determines how well it settles into the reader's mind.

It's good that you have a solid idea of what you want to convey, and you have a neat story arc here--I think this would make a good short story, in fact, but what's pulling the quality down is that that's all there is to it--a story arc. It lacks a lot of emotion. The last stanza talks about the pride that the bookstore boy feels, but it just ... /talks/ about it, if you get my drift. A lot of the time, feelings in poetry are implied. There's nothing stopping you from 'telling' us about them, of course, but coupled with the passive voice, there's very little existing for the reader to connect with. Overall: reduce wordiness, clip unneeded parts, get rid of repetition and read this out loud to massage the awkwardness out of the flow.

- The second line is awkward. I'd suggest rephrasing it. Maybe to something like: 'he trod his way over to where the manager had stationed him' or whatever. I think it's a little clunky even then, and my suggestion would be for us to start out with the boy at the beginning of an action rather than in the middle of one. You don't need to explain things. This is not prose, where you require a backstory for the reader to understand the present moment. It's a journey, where the readers see the bookstore boy gradually meld into his role, but it's not executed in a particularly evocative way. Incorporate some sensory imagery, stray a little from informing your reader of even the most minute details--experiment. What this needs is a rehashing. Fiddle with the idea, see if you can drag something deeper out of it.

Hope this helped. PM me if you have any questions!

~Pomp c:

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! I agree with what you said. :D

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Angrynoodles wrote a review...

That was really good. I liked the way you used similes and metaphors, "like having a pouch of golds."
The way you present it was very simple but it made me want to keep reading. The boy in story seemed to have mixed feelings about his job, which was very interesting. And the way you said, "Smiled as he should," made me think he did not like it. However at the end he accepted it. Great work.

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World