z

Young Writers Society


16+

When Dream and Reality Collide [Chapter 1.0]

by Lightsong


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

The tiger appeared again, this time closer to me. With its golden eyes, it gave me a gimlet stare. It didn’t move, but that didn’t reassure me. This tiger was different than others; its snow body was covered with silver stripes. Even with the room’s darkness, I could see them clearly. In fact, they sparkled.

I was sitting on the bed, fixing my eyes on this feline creature. Why should it show up relentlessly? What was the meaning of this? As thoughts swirled in my mind, a trickle of sweat ran down from my forehead to my chin. I was speechless. I didn’t even know if talking was good in front of it. It opened its mouth slowly, revealing its pointy teeth. I grabbed my blanket tighter, paralyzed by the menacing and strangely majestic aura this creature emitted and -

It lunged on me.

I woke up with a sharp intake of breath. Sweat wet my face. I wiped it with a trembling hand, and covered my quivering mouth. It wasn’t real. It was just a dream. But why was I scared like this? Like the tiger attacking me was a real situation. The dream was so vivid, and all my senses could feel every detail of it. Was there a meaning behind it? What if this wasn’t merely a dream? What if it was something more?

I sighed, hoping my day at school would help distract me from this dream.

I was at the noisy canteen with my friend, Tameem. Despite my hope the earlier morning, I still thought of the dream. Oddly, however, it didn’t ease me from my hunger. I grabbed the spoon and fork, ready to attack nasi lemak served on my plate. With a swift movement, I took a spoonful of it, gulping it down through my throat to my stomach. As always, the taste didn’t disappoint.

Tameem sat opposite to me, the long plastic table separating us. He looked at me with his hazel Arabian eyes. “I heard we’re going to get a new classmate today, Aiden,” he said, revealing his soft voice. He opened the tupperware he brought with him and took an egg sandwich out of it. He ate the sandwich with a bite.

“So?” I said. New students coming here was usual. There was no need to make a remark out of it. I looked at my food, thinking this was what I must be like to the strange tiger. I shook my head slightly in an attempt to get rid of the thought.

“He’s a foreigner,” Tameem said, taking another tiny bite. For a big guy, he was sure a slow eater. Not that I complained, though. His slow eating was always the reason I was late to class, therefore missing a part of boring classes. The teachers didn’t mind much - they’d knew me well.

“I’ve seen a foreign student, Tameem. I myself is a mix,” I said, boredom lacing my voice. What was a big deal with this new student? I threw a look at the sky; the sun gave its brilliant and hot light as usual. Bless Malaysia and its humid weather.

Tameem shook his head, looking at me with a slight frown, grabbing the sandwich a little tighter. “This one was different. They said -”

“You take their words seriously,” I said, cutting him off, not wanting to hear his length explanation. I raised my eyebrow. “Who are they, actually?”

Tameem opened his mouth but instead of talking, bit his luscious pink lip first. “Syaza and the gang. You know how she’s like when it comes to foreigners, especially Westerners.”

I nodded, recalling her enthusiasm when telling me about her cute English pen pal she met in the Internet. I wasn’t surprised she could find out about this new student this fast. She might had some resources somewhere else.

“Syaza might be wrong,” I said, giving him that possibility. “Plus, we’ve never seen him. How could we know he is different, that he’s not like the other foreign student? What if this is just another Syaza’s over enthusiasm on Western boys?” I leaned forward, studying Tameem’s smooth fair skin. “Because of that, you’ve no need to be interested on this guy.” I smiled, thinking my words would stop him from talking about this new student.

Tameem bit his lip again, and I was tempted to kiss it. This friend crush I had with him was getting out of hand. It was like the forbidden apple Eve had eaten. I wondered if he knew about my feelings? “I guess you’re right,” he said, finally conceding and finishing his sandwich. “Maybe there’s too little happening in the school that I find other things to focus at.”

I laid the spoon and fork on the empty plate. Such a nice lunch, and it had been ten minutes late since recess time was over. I grinned.

“Your birthday’ll arrive a week later, Aiden!” Tameem said besides me, excitement controlling the tenor of his voice. As if I forgot my birthday.

Catching Cikgu Aminaton’s brief glance on us, I sighed. Sometimes Tameem was just oblivious to the surrounding. I turned to him with withered eyes. “Wow, I seriously don’t know that,” I said with half dead voice. “Your point?”

“Let’s make a party,” Tameem said, serving me the suggestion with an enthusiastic voice. He put his forefinger on his lips which I craved, his frown full with thoughts. “I’m thinking what kind of party we’ll throw in.”

Fiddling with the black pen, I looked at my unfinished English essay. It was terrible. “You can throw the party for me. I’m too lazy for that.”

“Whatever. I know once I’ve started planning for the party, I can drag you along,” he said and flashed me an adorable and innocent grin. It was too infectious that it made my mouth twitched a little.

I stopped fiddling with the pen as a thought struck me. What if I told him about my feelings during the party? I should tell him sooner or later. It was hard to converse with him without enjoying his exotic Arabian facial beauty. It wasn’t just his handsomeness that showered my crush to him. It was something more. Everything about him I adored.

I grabbed the pen tightly and continued finishing my horrendous English essay. I smiled. I had made a decision, and it was a big one. I didn’t care if things turned the wrong way - I knew it would be worth it. I looked at Tameem. He was writing something on the paper. I followed his gaze and saw he was already planning for my party. My heart beat faster like an adrenaline-infused alarm. I couldn’t wait for next week to arrive.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 6213
Reviews: 89

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:50 pm
View Likes
Amnesia wrote a review...



Hey Lightsong,

Im here to review your work and i must say it is a beautiful piece of work.

I do have a few nit picks with it and pardon me if i repeat something someone already said.

1. Maybe you should start with something a bit calmer in the beginning something (of course the way you started it might just be your style if it is ignore this nitpick)

2. You have a talent for descriptions and though some people may think small details are boring or whatever I say you should use them it'll give this chapter a bit more depth.

3. Maybe instead of using

Even with the room’s darkness, I could see them clearly. In fact, they sparkled.
use something like "Even in the darkness of the room I could see the stripes sparkle clearly"

4.
Why should it show up relentlessly?
I don't think "Relentlessly" belongs there use something like out of the blue, or another phrase. Relentlessly means something harsh or unforgiving so it doesn't really fit into this sentence.

5.
strangely majestic aura this creature emitted and -

It lunged on me.
instead of using a hyphen here you could say that you felt it's claws digging into your skin when it lunged?

6.
Sweat wet my face
"Sweat soaked my face and my blankets which were tangled in a heap at the end of my bed." It sounds much better here, you can tell if it was a nightmare or something more just by changing the tone of your writing.

7.
I wiped it with a trembling hand, and covered my quivering mouth.
When first reading this I though the character was covering their mouth with their sweat. Instead of using a comma make it into two different sentences. It'll help the reader understand if the character covered his mouth with his hand or his sweat.

8. [quote]all my senses could feel[quote] you've been using past tense so the correct word is "Felt"

I think im done nitpicking for now (class is about over right now) so I'll continue in a comment.




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey Lightsong! I saw a chapter of this in the Green Room and thought I'd better review the whole thing to get a sense of what's going on!

I really liked the details you used in this chapter, I think they were my favourite thing about it. The description of the tigers first, and then little details about how slowly Tameem eats and it makes Aiden late for class (like hermione below me, I was confused as to whether Aiden was a boy or girl, but I guess we'll come to that!) It made it a really easy read, because it progressed at a nice pace but everything was filled out.

There are a few minor grammatical errors - are you Malaysian? (if so, cool! I have a lot of Malaysian classmates they always make it sound like such a fun place to live). I'm just wondering because English mightn't be your first language - there were things like 'party we'll throw in' when it should be 'throw' which didn't make much sense. I'm sure that the others have picked up on most of these nitpicks so I'm not going to go through them again. But if it is just that English isn't your first language, then don't worry, they'll smooth themselves out over time. That said, always take your time to proofread - even then you can miss some things and that's okay, part of the reason we're here is to pick up the ones you miss ;).

Another few things I was confused by -you mentioned Tameem's "Arabian" eyes so I assumed he was from Saudi or somewhere and then they were talking about an international student and I was puzzled xD I know Malaysia has a few different ethnicities so maybe that's what you meant but it threw me off a little bit.

Other than that -- they always say you should never start a novel with a dream, because it's like cheating your readers. But a ton of writers do it. I assume in your case you chose to do so because dreams are important to your story! Which is fair! That said, just because dreams are important, doesn't mean you have to start with a dream. In fact, maybe it could be fun to start in the lunchroom where Aiden is obsessing over the dream to show how it's affecting them. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater is a great book that is, quite obviously, about dreams, but it doesn't start with a dream sequence, it starts by talking about secrets. I think that's kind of cool.

Anyway. This was a fun, smooth read, so good job!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 am
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



Wolfie here to complete your requested review! :) I quite enjoyed reading this. It's fresh, well-written, and short, which is always really nice on this site. I'm glad to see that you'll be splitting up your chapters for YWS' purpose. Alright, let's jump in!

The tiger appeared again, this time closer to me.

I'm not sure that I like this as a first sentence. Saying that the tiger appeared again makes the reader feel as if they were late jumping into the action. I'd remodel the first sentence or start a new one entirely that doesn't have the word "again" or "this time" in it. It would simply be a friendlier welcome mat for your new readers.

You could be a little more imaginative with this sentence, too. Remember that infamous line "show, not tell?" Instead of saying that the tiger is closer, you could say something like, "this time it was so close that I could feel its breath" or "see its glistening whiskers in the moonlight."
Why should it show up relentlessly?

This seems a bit awkward to me. How about, "Why should it show up again and again, so relentlessly?"
I grabbed my blanket tighter, paralyzed by the menacing and strangely majestic aura this creature emitted and -

It lunged on me.

I liked this. Especially because you had a long and "rambling" sentence to emphasize the Aiden's breathless panic before she is cut off. I would make that sentence longer, even. More rambling. More panic.
But why was I scared like this? Like the tiger attacking me was a real situation.

I would combine these into one interrogative sentence.

Before getting into any other things, let's talk about the title of the novel: When Dream and Reality Combine. For one thing, something in me really wants "Dream" to be plural. But besides that, the title seems a bit bland to me and it hardly seems to hold any mystery or intrigue. Oftentimes titles hold a secret, something that isn't fully revealed until well into the novel. But the first chapter of this book begins with a dream, a dream that seems awfully real, so most of the book's title already seems to be explained. I think this title would be nice for, say, a chapter or part of the novel, but not the whole thing.

You could have a lot of fun coming up with a new title. Maybe find a synonym for "dream" and a synonym for "reality" and find a way to combine them into your own made-up word. That gives the title plenty of mystery. Just some things to think about!

Alright, enough of that. This chapter part was very, very good at establishing what this book is going to be about. I know the setting, the characters, some conflicts, and some goals. If you look at this blog post, it looks like you tackled most of the things a first chapter needs! (Nonetheless, it's always nice to use that checklist to look back and find things that need more emphasis and things that don't.)

I don't think you need much more help with this chapter part, for it was written pretty darn well. You had a nice balance between character development, descriptions, and dialogue. Most of all, you've made me want to read more of this tale to see what happens next, and I think that's what I'm about to do shortly! (Luckily for me, you've posted the next part).

Write, write, write!




Lightsong says...


Thanks for the review! It's When Dream and Reality Collide, anyway. ;)



Wolfi says...


Ohhhh, I knew that! :P I guess that's a tad more original.



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 1155
Reviews: 61

Donate
Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:04 am
View Likes
hermione315 wrote a review...



Hello Lightsong! Hermione here as requested. I like this first chapter; it presents a lot of unanswered questions that make me want to keep reading. Normally, I wouldn’t advise starting out a story with a dream since it gets dangerously close to falling in the cliché category, but you seem to make it work for this particular story.

With its golden eyes, it gave me a gimlet stare.

I loved the imagery in this sentence. I had to look up the definition of gimlet because I have never seen that word before; it’s a very interesting and unique choice of vocabulary. Now, here are a few points I thought you could improve on to make this first chapter even better. Punctuation and grammar seem to be a bit of an issue in your writing. For example, in the sentence I just quoted, the comma is unnecessary. I’ll give you a few examples of sentences that need fixed and why, and then I think you should go back and proofread your writing for other mistakes.
I woke up with a sharp intake of breath. Sweat wet my face. I wiped it with a trembling hand, and covered my quivering mouth.

The comma is unnecessary in the last sentence because if you took it and the conjunction ‘and’ out, the last sentence wouldn’t be able to stand alone without the first. It isn’t a true compound sentence.
Not that I complained, though. His slow eating was always the reason I was late to class, therefore missing a part of boring classes. The teachers didn’t mind much - they’d knew me well.

The second sentence here contains an inconsistent verb tense. Corrected, the sentence should read, “His slow eating was always the reason I was late to class, therefore I got to miss parts of boring classes.” Even though this is correct, I would still recommend deleting the second portion of this sentence because it is basically voicing what the reader can easily infer. That’s up to you though. In the third sentence, the contraction ‘they’d’ expanded would read ‘they had’. When you read it this way, it doesn’t make sense. Instead of ‘they’d’, you should say ‘they’.
“I’ve seen a foreign student, Tameem. I myself is a mix,” I said, boredom lacing my voice. What was a big deal with this new student?

‘Is’ in the second sentence should be ‘am’. And then the last sentence also is inconsistent in tense. You jump from past to present. It should read, “What was the big deal about this new student?”
I wasn’t surprised she could find out about this new student this fast. She might had some resources somewhere else.

This is also present tense when the majority of the rest of your story is in past tense. Here is a suggestion of how you could reword this to make it sound better and fit in with the rest of your story: “I wasn’t surprised by how quickly she had found out about this new student. She had her resources.”
I wondered if he knew about my feelings?

This isn’t a question, so it should have a period. Okay, last one. :)
“I guess you’re right,” he said, finally conceding and finishing his sandwich. “Maybe there’s too little happening in the school that I find other things to focus at.”

Instead of at, a better choice of a preposition would be on. This sentence needs to be completely reworded for mistakes in grammar; I had to read it several times to understand what you were trying to say. Here’s how I would suggest rewording it: “Maybe I’m just so focused on it because nothing interesting ever seems to happen in this school.”

Here are a few nitpicks I had that aren’t really mistakes but in my opinion should be fixed.
It lunged on me.

I think you should get rid of the words ‘on me’ because if you just say ‘it lunged’, it makes the tiger lunging seem more sudden and surprising to the reader.
But why was I scared like this? Like the tiger attacking me was a real situation. The dream was so vivid, and all my senses could feel every detail of it.

This part seemed to be worded a little weirdly to me. The second sentence is a fragment, and while fragments are okay to use artistically in writing every once in a while, this one doesn’t make much sense. Here is a suggestion of how I would go about rewording this part to make it make more sense: “But why was I scared like this? The tiger wasn’t real. It couldn’t have been. Yet, the dream was so vivid; my senses could feel every detail of it.” Whether or not you use this is completely up to you.
“Your birthday’ll arrive a week later, Aiden!” Tameem said besides me, excitement controlling the tenor of his voice. As if I forgot my birthday.

The dialogue seemed a little weird and rigid in this part. What if instead Tameem said, “Your birthday’s only a week away Aiden!”? Doesn’t that more like something a young boy would say? Also, I think your last sentence would sound better if you reworded it to say, ‘As if I could forget my birthday’.

Now, here I'm going to tell you what I liked about this chapter. The relationship you have going on between Aiden (which is a girl or boy because that name could be either?) and Tameem is very cute. It seems like they have a very strong friendship, and I sure hope that this whole crush thing doesn’t destroy it (although, that might be an interesting route to take as the story progresses). I’m also very interested to find out the meaning of Aiden’s reoccurring dream of the tiger. I can see this story going several different exciting ways and I’m eager to see where you choose to take it. Good job, and keep writing! :) Please let me know when chapter two is up and I’d be happy to give you another review!




Lightsong says...


Thanks for the review! I'll sure notify you for the next chapter! :D




If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen