z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Copper Dust: Chapter 1

by Wolfi


- B L E A C H E D   P A P E R -

Life in this five-by-seven block of punishment is ironically invigorating. After I killed his father, I’m sure young Meadows hadn’t planned on giving me just what I wanted: plenty of peace and quiet and time to pen my story before he tightens the noose around my neck. But how could he have known? How could he have known that one of the most feared men in this neck of the woods is gifted with words and storytelling and loves to trace his pen across sheets of bleached white paper? In a million years he wouldn’t have guessed it. Only Ollie would have known, and it’s Meadows’ own fault that Ollie isn’t here to tell him.

But really, I doubt that Meadows cares. I’m a dead man, as far as he knows. The hanging’s just around the corner.

The truth is this: a man wants to be remembered long after his soul has been wiped from the earth. I’m not too worried about any of these people forgetting me for a while, but writing down my life seems to give me a sort of security about it all. As long as these pages live on, I will too. Maybe this’ll become one of those bestselling dime novels in the east for some Yankees who have nothing better to do except read about the world which I live in. They want a taste of what it’s like to live your life on the edge. They eat up all the stories about cocky cowboys, mean old outlaws, hangings, prison escapes, fights with the Indians, and everything else they think goes on here. I suppose after they've lived with a character long enough, by seeing through their eyes and reading their story, they'll have felt important, like they really have experienced it all. But once they've closed the book for the last time it's all over, and they can return to drinking their tea in the afternoon.

But most importantly, my story isn’t about the hero. Meadows is your hero. I don’t have locks of golden hair and innocent, greenish-blue eyes that peer out at you from beneath a wide-brimmed hat. I’m not the poor kid whose father was killed and who’s brave enough to leave home on his own to get his revenge. If you’d rather read a yarn about some hero like Meadows, I’m sure any of the Yankees’ dime novels will do.

When I asked the deputy if I could have some paper and a pencil, of all things, he look surprised. Like I said, only Ollie would have known I like to tell stories. But the deputy nodded, and returned from his desk a minute later to hand me what I wanted through the bars of the cell, most likely reasoning that I wanted to pen my last will or something. Ha! Like I care who'll get my knife or my rifle or my horse. I think Meadows likes my horse, so I'll let him keep him.

After the deputy gave me the pages, I stared at them for a while and scratched at my scruffy jawline. I despise having any hair on my face, but I guess it’s a good policy to keep razors away from prisoners. But the barber's right next door - couldn't they just tie me to a chair and have him do a quick shave?

The deputy had left the jailhouse by then. I could still hear his ring of keys jingle on his belt whenever he moved around in the front office. I had another question I wanted to ask him, but when I opened my mouth to call him I realized I didn’t really want the answer. It could wait, at least. I was quiet until he came by on his rounds a dozen minutes later to check on me.

“How much time?” I asked, looking up from the bleached pages in my lap that were still blank. I didn’t need to elaborate further: the “until I die” part was unnecessary. He could probably see the dull look in my eyes.

Fingering his keys, he said, “Ford wanted an official court ruling and a judge from Arizona. It’ll probably be a while before he can get here in all this snow.”

That told me that I had done something to earn a scrap of Ford Meadows’ respect. The day we returned, I don’t believe anyone would have complained if he had built the gallows himself and hung me that night. Or if he had just blew my brains out when he had the chance; I did that to his father, after all. But no. After the snowflakes started to fall, he wordlessly stuck me up in this cell and went off to visit his sister and mother. Perhaps he likes it proper: the judge rules, the trapdoor opens, and the convicted man dances in the air. That’s as proper as it gets.

I shivered. Death’s skeletal hand seemed to be reaching for me between the bars of the window.

“Do you want a blanket?” the deputy asked.

I shook my head. It was snowing outside, but I wasn’t cold. A blanket can’t shield me from the noose.

With nothing better to do, I picked up the pencil.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Sun May 28, 2017 12:26 am
View Likes
Stori wrote a review...



I was going to review this, but then I saw that you had eight already. Such is life.

Right away you've given us an interesting character- not one of L'Amour's honorable, soft-spoken men but a hardened criminal who still manages to show off his human side. But enough of that- let's get to the "review" part. ;)

But how could he have known? How could he have known that the one of the most feared man


Typos, man! Take out that first "the" and remember, it's "one of the most feared men or "the most feared man" but not both.

In a million years he wouldn’t have guessed it.


My dad, a stickler for historical accuracy, would chide you to make sure you know whether "in a million years" was a common phrase in the old West. Since he's not a member of YWS, I'll chide you for him. :P

I’m not too worried about any of these people forgetting me for a while, but writing down my life seems to give me a sort of security about it all. As long as these pages live on, I will too.


I hope we get to know "these" people in the next chapter, because you haven't even mentioned the town's name yet.

Maybe this’ll become one of those bestselling dime novels in the east for some Yankees who have nothing better to do except read about the world which I live in.


Irony is a funny thing. Can you just imagine those Yankees paging through the story, not knowing or caring that it's all true?

But most importantly, my story isn’t about the hero. Meadows is your hero. I don’t have locks of golden hair and innocent, greenish-blue eyes that peer out at you from beneath a wide-brimmed hat. I’m not the poor kid whose father was killed and who’s brave enough to leave home on his own to get his revenge. If you’d rather read a yarn about some hero like Meadows, I’m sure any of the Yankees’ dime novels will do.


Bravo! Thank you for a) not having the man call himself a villain (nobody does that) and b) having him make sport of the stereotypical hero. Do we get to learn what he does look like in the next chapter?

Ha! Like I care who'll get my knife or my rifle or my horse. I think Meadows likes my horse, so I'll let him keep him.


It's just like Proverbs- the wicked disappear completely while the righteous leave a lasting inheritance to future generations. (Now I hope you spend the rest of the novel showing us the narrator's good qualities along with his bad ones.)

I despise having any hair on my face, but I guess it’s a good policy to keep razors away from prisoners.


Again he shows his human side.

You have a great start here. I chuckled at the narrator's (dare I say it?) gallows humor, and I want to learn what happened to him- and what will happen at the end. Great job, and I'm off to read chapter two.




Wolfi says...


Oh, hello! Gosh, you've made me want to start working on this book again, haha! Thanks so much for the review. You've caught a typo that neither I nor the reviewers before you had noticed, and you pointed out some good things. Unfortunately I think that this is the best of the chapters I have posted, so you are not obliged to review anymore of this novel unless you want to. Thank you so much!



Stori says...


Who said anything about reviews? I want to read it.



Wolfi says...


Haha you're right! Thanks again.



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:16 am
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Hello, Wolfie36! It's Artemis28 here to review your chapter! :)

Let's begin. The first nitpick I have was right here. It has to do with word choice: is "wiped" a good word to describe a soul? Wiped sounds like someone completely took away all remnants of your life on earth, to me. I don't think you meant it that way. Sure, lots of people would use "removed," but I just feel it works better in this case.

"The truth is this: a man wants to be remembered long after his soul has been wiped from the earth."

This line here doesn't make sense. I know what you meant, and I almost overlooked it, but her it is. You say "...and everything else they think goes on IN HERE THE WEST." Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me. You might want to change it to "...and everything else they think goes on here in the West."

"They eat up the stories about cocky cowboys, mean old outlaws, hangings, prison escapes, fights with the Indians, and everything else they think goes on in here the West."

What does "read a yarn" mean? I searched it up on Google and I found stuff about reading spools of yarn descriptions. I don't think that was what you intended to mean. What does it mean, anyway? You could make it clearer to the reader, but still keep it creative. Don't lose any of your sparkle. :D

"If you’d rather read a yarn about some hero like Meadows, I’m sure any of the Yankees’ dime novels will do."

Another nitpick. You say "But the barber's right next door, though." The "But" and "though" mean the same thing, therefore they don't need each other. "The barber's right next door, though" would've worked fine, as would've "But the barber's right next door." See what I mean?

"But the barber's right next door, though - couldn't they just tie me to a chair and have him do a quick shave?"

I really liked the ending, when you mention how the prisoner picks up the pencil and begins to think about something to write. I also thought the description of Death and his gnarled hand was interesting.

Overall, you did a nice job. I liked how you slowly explain what happened as you go along; that's a good technique. I'll be reading your next chapter in a few seconds! (And I do mean that quite literally.)

XOXO,
Artemis28




Wolfi says...


Howdy, Art! :) Thanks for reading and reviewing, that was kind of you! I hadn't caught those nickpicks, so thanks for pointing those out. A "yarn" is cowboy slang for a story, so that's why I used that there. Thank you so much!



erilea says...


Okay, you're welcome!



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 3643
Reviews: 53

Donate
Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:54 am
View Likes
Ronald559 wrote a review...



It's important to note, I like the title. I'm very picky about titles but you've done a fine job choosing.
Take away the bold letters at the beginning. It doesn't serve a purpose, your first line should be strong even without the bold.

How could he have known that the most feared man in the West is gifted with words and storytelling and loves to trace his pen across sheets of bleached white paper?

I like the beginning so far. He killed someone and isn't apologizing for it. For some odd reason I respect him more, and take him seriously. He's boastful which is fine. Problem for me is, I don't think the west was called the west back then. The line sounds like it belongs in Maverick or something. Which is comedic in a sense, and it sort of detracts from the whole thing. Call it something else. What does your character think the west is? Without calling it the west? Make him coin a term or phrase. Make that phrase mean something... the rest is fine just a little unrealistic. I mean did he go to school or something? It's fine though, I buy it anyway.

The truth is this: a man wants to be remembered long after his soul has been wiped from the earth.
Very good again. That is a truth. It's a bold truth even which is something rare in YWS. It's a good line. Can we do this maybe? "The truth is a man wants to be remembered long..."
I felt like the colon, and the this are pretty distracting. I like it more like this. Think about it. If you like it better your way that's okay.

They want a taste of what it’s like to live your life on the edge.

Yes also true. I pretty much like all the lines thus far. While I agree this sentiment I think you've got it wrong. I don't think people want a taste of whatever. I think people want to feel like they've experienced it, like it's theirs. Do you understand? When you watch a film for instance. You put yourself in the place of the main character. You like to experience the ups and downs and lose yourself in some fantasy that isn't really yours. So maybe it's actually. "They like pretend. They live life on the edge, by the pages of my book, and then they take their tea in the afternoon."
It's what I'd do but like I said before these are just suggestions.

They eat up the stories about cocky cowboys, mean old outlaws, hangings, prison escapes, fights with the Indians, and everything else they think goes on in here the West. Heck, my story’s got them all.
Careful here you're explaining what to expect for your story, and it's weird. It's taking me out of it. It feels no longer like a character but the author going on and on. I'd take it out. (the last line)

hink Meadows likes my horse, so I'll let him keep the darn thing.
This is a minor thing but I'd strongly advise you to change the darn thing to him or her. Give the horse a gender. I know you're trying to keep into character but even a rotten crook knows what a horse is.

Perhaps he likes it proper: the judge rules, the trapdoor opens, and the convicted man dances in the air. That’s as proper as it gets.

I liked this bit a lot.

Overall you've done a fine job. You never lost authenticity, and you kept things fairly realistic. I liked that you didn't kill anybody. Your main character's got spunk. Its short for a chapter, and to be honest with you it kind of feels like a prologue. Not much happened just a lot of explaining. Since it was short I wasn't bothered by it.




Wolfi says...


You beat me! :P Excellent review, and very helpful too. Having a reader who knows his westerns is going to help me a lot with the authenticity factor. Thank you so much for all your great tips! :) I'll be working on yours tonight.



Ronald559 says...


Oh it's all right. I appreciate the genre, and people that write for it. You are fairly authentic just be careful to not be cliche. It's easy to be cliche when you're writing genre. Keep posting more chapters.



Wolfi says...


Yes, you're right, and I definitely don't want to write a Maverick-style piece as you said. By the way, what's your favorite western novel/movie?



Ronald559 says...


Lonesome Dove or Blood Meridian. If I had to choose it'd have to be Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. He's really difficult to read. I hate his style but he's a master. My favorite western film is a lot more difficult. Let's call it a three way tie between The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly/Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/Unforgiven. If you haven't seen Deadwood you need to see Deadwood. It's the best show ever made, but it's also a western which is nice. You're 15 so I would hope you waited a little longer until you were old enough. Strong language, adult content, graphic violence. The language Milch uses in that show. It takes your breath away, and only he can go from killing someone so savagely to comedic relief without problem. Someone funny lines in that show from Swearengen. That's the best western thing ever produced between all three. Books, film, or T.V.



Wolfi says...


Thanks for the recommendations! Lonesome Dove is purely a masterpiece, and among the very best literature I've ever read. Gus and Call, man. I'll never forget them for as long as I live. Movie-wise, Dances With Wolves takes the cake, with Butch Cassidy (character development and interactions --> perfection), Open Range, The Magnificent Seven, and plenty of others close behind. I haven't seen Deadwood, but it sounds like I'll have to when I'm older! Blood Meridian also seems a bit violent so I'll wait on that one, too. For now I'm content with exploring some of L'amour's novels.



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 4915
Reviews: 172

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm
View Likes
RagingLive wrote a review...



Hello, Wolfie! I know that this already has five reviews on it, but I just couldn't resist passing up this chapter once I got into it!! I hope you don't mind!

Life in this five-by-seven block of punishment is ironically invigorating

I loved the opening line here. It was - ironically invigorating, maybe? Not just that, but ironically catchy. Great job!

giving me just what I wanted: all this time, plenty of peace and quiet, and all of these sheets paper to tell my story with before he tightens the noose around my neck

Here, the sentence seemed to drag on a bit long for me and I kind of lost focus, so I had to reread it. To make it easier for people like me, I would suggest doing something maybe like:
'giving me just what I wanted: plenty of piece and quiet, and time to tell my story through paper and pen before he tightens the noose around my neck.'
Just a suggestion!

How could he have known that the most feared man in the West is gifted with words and storytelling and loves to trace his pen across sheets of bleached white paper?

One of my favorite lines. It wasn't quite a mockery of Meadows, at least I didn't see it that way. It was just a very vivid description using 'tracing' and 'bleached white paper.' Although, with the latter, this being set in the 1800s and also in the Old West, I want to warn you that paper, especially bleached white paper, was rare and expensive and many times a luxury that only wealthy people could enjoy.
However, it isn't a huge deal since the sheriff might have bleached white paper provided by the government, but it not really being a commodity, I still have doubts to why the sheriff would let a prisoner use it. Of course the sheriff didn't let him, the deputy did, so it really doesn't matter.

But most importantly, my story isn’t about the hero. Meadows is your hero.

This is another one of the sentences that just grabbed me. Maybe because the villain openly admits to his crime, but also points you to the hailed savior of the town or people or whatever we haven't read of yet.
Oddly enough, this gives me a sort of respect for a vile criminal who murdered someone and is now sitting on death row. Because of his admittance, you can almost see that he is almost as much a hero whether he came with innocent eyes and golden hair or not. (Wonderful descriptions, really)
If that was what you meant to get across, bravo!

I don’t believe anyone would have complained if he had built the gallows himself and hung me that night

Another backdrop that has the words 'Old West' written all over it with scenes of vigilantes and lynch mobs and shotgun weddings. But this paints Meadows as a hero in a totally different way, he's not just a hero, he's a 'proper' hero. One fit for dime novels - the perfect comparison, by the way! :)

Perhaps he likes it proper: the judge rules, the trapdoor opens, and the convicted man dances in the air. That’s as proper as it gets.

Just another favorite quote. It sounds very polished and professional.

At the end, when he shivers and the deputy asks if he wants a blanket, the deputy assumes he is simply cold. But it's really 'death's skeletal hand.'
A blanket can’t shield me from the noose


I loved it more than I can say, and like Eros, I would love to tell you I'm speechless, but as you can tell, my speechless kind of varies! :D
Please, please, please keep writing!

Like I always say, keep writing and keep on smiling!! :)
~RagingLive




Wolfi says...


Oh woahh! That's odd, I never got a notification for this! Sorry for never replying, gosh!

Thank you so much, Raging!!!! :D So much!!!!



RagingLive says...


You're very welcome!! KEEP WRITING!!!!



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 415

Donate
Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:09 am
View Likes
Eros wrote a review...



Hello Wolfie!!!

This is Eros here to review your work!!

The very first chapter of your novel is Dashing! I am sure that your next chapters would be mind~blasting and mind~blowing!!!!
Punctuations are good, and grammar also, as far as I can see, there is no flaww. The main thing is the Title. The title is really catchy and is related to the main theme...
Wolfie, you have increased my excitement as to what happens next. I am feeling like I was an electron at 'ground state' and after reading this chapter, I went to 'First excited state' and if I dont read what happens next, I would go in the 'Second excited state... :)
And...What else can I say? I am left speechless!!
Good Job Wolfie!!
Continue writing!
For we love to continue reading and reviewing them!!




Wolfi says...


Awww, thank you Eros!!! :D



Eros says...


You are welcome!! :)



User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:54 am
View Likes
Harker wrote a review...



Note: this is one of my entries for the Big Review. Enjoy!

Introduction:

Hey there, Wolfie!

So, when I first started this review, I tried to do what I normally do--that is, make comments on certain phrases of the text which I thought were excellent or needed a bit of work. I want to do the opposite here: present a few ideas and back those ideas up with evidence. I think you'd benefit from some more general points because (a) you're quite a brilliant writer and (b) this is the first chapter, and plotting isn't that relevant right now. :D

You know how much I love reading your work, and this is no exception. Anyway...

Ready? Set? Go!

Content:

First, after reading through the other reviews, I have to say that I (unfortunately) disagree with Carlito. There are three reasons why internal dialogue is your most important asset here:

1. Your narrator's situation. I imagine that when you're going to die, the thing you focus on isn't what the cell looks like, but instead on what you're thinking--what you're feeling--what you're not feeling. The physical world doesn't matter anymore, because soon you'll be separated from it. As you said, what matters here is that "a man wants to be remembered long after his soul has been wiped from the earth".

2. This is your first chapter. By all means, introduce us to the mind of the person we'll be listening to for the rest of the book. And it's an intriguing mind--which brings me to my final point...

3. You're excellent at this. You don't define your character by his situation. You let the situation be defined by the characters. By giving us the narrator's narration, you're able to effectively and masterfully introduce us to his mind.

For instance, take this line:

The truth is this: a man wants to be remembered long after his soul has been wiped from the earth.


It both expresses a greater truth and allows us a glimpse into the narrator's greater purpose: to be remembered. He wants to go to the grave knowing that at least some people will know his name. And what more is there to know about a character? :p

Here's another one:

But most importantly, my story isn’t about the hero.


The narrator OPENLY ACKNOWLEDGES that he's the villain in this story. He obviously feels at least some twinge of remorse for what he does--and, although it's never mentioned outright, his regret is portrayed in his harsh words, like when he writes, "Or if he had just blew my brains out when he had the chance; I did that to his father, after all." His violent reference to his own act is astonishingly candid.

Anyway... let's move on from things you already know. :p Because this is fairly short and you're an excellent writer, I'm just going to mention three important points that I think you could improve on.

1. Creating an authentic voice.

Okay. So, to start off with, this is really hard, and I think you're really excellent at it. But I'd like to offer a few tips anyway.

First, remember that while historically-accurate voice is essential, it can sometimes go too far. Overusing old slang can result in your narrator's voice being cluttered extra bits and pieces of words. For example,

greenish-blue eyes that peer out so innocent-like from beneath a wide-brimmed hat


"Innocent-like" interrupts the flow of the dialogue and is an unnecessary, awkward usage.

Another one:

I was quiet until he came by on his rounds a dozen minutes later to check on me.


I'm not sure if you meant this line for that purpose, but "dozen" doesn't read well either way. It seems quite useless and out of place here.

Okay. Onto the next one...

2. Unnecessary details.

Again, this one is about clutter. Sometimes, in the middle of a sentence, you forget to give your readers credit. What I mean by that is you give us the facts and immediately the inference. Here's an example, from after the narrator asks for a pencil and paper to write with. You say,

But the deputy nodded, probably reasoning that I wanted to write a letter to someone or pen my last will.[b]


The bolded phrase is unnecessary and we could have probably figured it out by ourselves. What would be interesting is if you related this to life outside the prison. For instance, try "reasoning that I wanted to write a letter to [b]<insert love interest here>" or "reasoning that I wanted to write a letter to someone. Ha! I almost laughed aloud. The deputy really thought I had someone to write to. I wish."

Another example:

He could probably see the dull look in my eyes.


This sentence is bulky and a bit useless. We don't care if the deputy can see the look in your eyes, we care that there's a dull look in your eyes. You can find more exciting and evocative ways to express this message with internal dialogue. Which brings me to my next idea...

3. Combine the internal monologue and external observations.

I actually agree a lot with some of what Carlito said. Although it's not as important, it's still vital that you connect us, as readers, to the physical world around the narrator. That doesn't mean that we need a detailed description of the cell, but it does mean that we should feel like this is a world that could be inhabited... and that WAS inhabited. Here are two instances where you could give us some of this information:

He returned from his desk a minute later and handed me what I wanted through the bars of the cell.


I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but you could talk about the way the narrator interacted with the cell bars. Maybe, when he's bored, he rubs his finger against them until the metal flakes off ("copper dust"... haha). Or maybe they're too rusted for that.

I despise having any hair on my face, but I guess it’s a good policy to keep razors away from prisoners.
[/quote]

Do they have different policies on hygiene instead? <- a sentence I never thought I would write in a YWS review

Okay, moving onto resources...

Resources:

I've got three awesome resources for you today.

1. Anne R. Allen is astonishingly helpful in this guide to first chapters...
Link: http://annerallen.blogspot.com/2013/06/ ... hould.html

2. Writers Digest is always a reliable and excellent source.
Link: http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blo ... thenticity

3. And, finally, for the rest of your novel... AdvancedFictionWriting.com introduces the "snowflake method" of plotting. Some of it you definitely don't need, but there are a few gems in there. :D
Link: http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/a ... ke-method/

The Sign-Off:

Okay: quickly, this piece was an intriguing start to what I'm sure will be an intriguing story. I have two words for you: NEXT CHAPTER. Please. We all want it. I'll even become a regular reviewer, if you want! :D

Keep writing, and--as we say in my hometown--don't forget to be awesome.

IronSpark




Wolfi says...


Ack! I wasn't following you!

Why are you so helpful and amazing? <3 Thank you, Iron. Thank you.



Wolfi says...


"Do they have different policies on hygiene instead?"
I meant that they wouldn't want to give razors (a sharp object and potential weapon) to desperate prisoners. Should I make that more clear?



Harker says...


Sorry, I wasn't really clear.

I meant that that was an opportunity for you to say something like "Forget razors. They didn't even give us water to wash our faces." (Obviously an exaggeration, but still.) :D



Wolfi says...


Oh, I see. :) Thank you!



Harker says...


Thank /you/ for writing such an awesome first chapter.

Have you finished the second?



Wolfi says...


Nope. >.< I'm working on it, though! Thanks for your interest!



Harker says...


Well, let me know when it does come out. I want more of your awesome writing! :D



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:37 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello! I'm here for the big review! :D

After reading this through once, my first thought was that this is a really interesting premise, but it started to get too info-dumpy for my taste and it read more like a prologue than a first chapter. I felt like the goal of this chapter was to set up the story. I don't want the story set up, I want to be in the story from the first sentence. (Which you did super well with Ordadus.)

There's a lot of beautiful language and writing throughout this chapter, but to me, there are two important details:
1. Your narrator is a prisoner
2. He is writing us this story from prison
That's really all I care about so far. Everything else is forgettable because there is no context for it. I'm not going to remember world details and back story details at the beginning of the story when I don't know anything about the characters and why I should care about their story.

I think it would be a stronger opening if we didn't know what he did yet and didn't know any of the back story with Meadows because it would create some mystery. Right now, I don't feel all that motivated to continue reading because I already know the general idea of what he did and the consequence of that action. I'm sure there's a big long story for the "why", and that's what the book is going to be about.

But, imagine that we don't know what he did. We'd be on the edge of our seats waiting to read more and learn about what landed him in this situation. We'd be dying to know why Meadows has it in for him and then later on in the book we'll have the big, exciting reveal that the narrator killed this guy's dad! Don't tell us all the good stuff right from the get-go :)

I'm not going to get overly nit-picky here because I'm not convinced this is where you want to start this story. (And we already know you can write :p).

If I were you, I would focus on a handful of things with this first chapter (this is not in order of importance, just the order that I think of them :p):
1. Establishing the setting - he's in prison. What's his cell like? Are there other prisoners? What are the living conditions? How long has he been there? How long will he be there?
2. Establishing the relationship with Meadows - but don't tell us. Show us the rift between them with dialogue and actions/reactions/facial expressions/tone/etc.
3. Start setting up the goal/conflict/stakes/catalyst
4. Introducing this MC

You've already done some of this. I know some things about his prison situation. You told us about his relationship with Meadows (but try to show it instead). There's a goal (writing his story), conflict (he's probably going to die soon), stakes (he may not be remembered), and a catalyst (Meadows gives him paper). There's a fairly good introduction of the MC (the voice is great!). But it still feels flat to me and kind of bland for a first chapter. I want more action. Things don't need to be blowing up, but I want more action and showing and less telling. I feel like more needs to happen in this opening chapter.

I'm going to leave things there for now. You have great style and technique (which is still super impressive to me because you're 15 and I wish I wrote like this when I was 15 :p). And you have really cool ideas! I'm excited to see where you take this!! :D

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!!




Wolfi says...


Aw, thank you, Carlito!!! Great advice. This does somewhat serve as a prologue, as it'll be the only chapter until the last written in present tense, but it's an important one and I don't want my readers to skip it so I made it the first chapter. But yeah, you're right. Some more action and the things you pointed out are in order. Thank you!!! :D



User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 1303
Reviews: 152

Donate
Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 am
View Likes
ChimeraMania wrote a review...



I don't think this'll be much of a review but I do have question which might just benefit you when you right more to this, I think.

Sooo....quick question. How do you want me to read this? Because I read with a certain accent in my head and it makes me question some things. Like in the first paragraph.

After I killed his father, I’m sure young Meadows hadn’t planned on giving me just what I wanted: all this time, plenty of peace and quiet, and all these sheets paper to tell my story with before he tightens the noose around my neck, but how could he have known?

The part in red, did you mean to leave out 'of'? I also have that question with another part, but you can just answer this one and that'll help me.

Another reason why I asked how you wanted me to read it and I talked about the accent is because in the Old-West, they talked a certain way, spelled things a little different. I have (I don't know how I have it but I do) little knowledge on accents and if I read this with a Western accent (which I believe is a bit different from the Old-West), and I still question the 'of' part.

Some writes (and I hope you do this) write to where the readers think of the accent people used. I could see him having one.

Okay now, back to that quote. It's all 'one' sentence. It's a LONG sentence, the longest in this entire thing to be quite frank with you. Maybe split it.

Whelp that's the only thing that asked for my attention when reading this. Keep me updated, it seems good so make it great. I know you can.

~Sharrae out, tottles




Wolfi says...


Thanks! Only for dialogue will I be writing them things in a yarn like this that ain't proper grammar and throwing in them Old West slang betwixt them normal words. *back to normal speech* Sorry, writing with a western accent is fun. xD But yeah, only when certain characters are speaking would I ever make it that extreme. The MC and the deputy, for example, speak much more "normal" than that as a factor of characterization. I, personally, didn't read/write this chapter with a western accent, but I don't think it matters too much. As for that "of," I did mean to leave it out, but it does sound nice including it. Perhaps I'll change it. Thank you again!



ChimeraMania says...


You're welcome and I actually, when I first read it, didn't read it with a Western accent. When I mostly read, everything, it's with an English accent, like an olden time Englishman accent. Like the MC in the show Forever. That's how I read.



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 451
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:42 am
View Likes
Paige wrote a review...



Hello there, I'm Paige!

I was initially drawn to this work because of the creative tagline, especially how you noted that Derick Marr is a villain. That’s an extremely intriguing angle to take, because we tend to associate ourselves with and relate best to admirable characters.

My first comment is just a technical fix that is easily reparable. “Maybe this’ll become one of those bestselling dime novels in the east for some Yankees who have nothing better to do except read about the world in which I live in.” I am very picky about my own prepositions, and I think that this sentence would be best without the last word, “in”. It’s unnecessary to include because you properly placed the preposition already, before the word “which”.

Next, I want to address the descriptions that you’ve included. I deeply admire the manner in which you described Meadows, with the “locks of golden hair and greenish-blue eyes that peer out so innocent-like from beneath a wide-brimmed hat.” This description tells much about Derick and the man being described. You have done a phenomenal job, especially with your descriptions!

Later, when you spoke about the reluctance of Meadows to execute the Derick, I really felt connected to both characters, and I gained an understanding of Meadows, even though he has not physically been introduced to the story yet. I absolutely applaud you and your work for this, because it’s fascinating to feel so powerfully based upon such descriptions.

Also, the very end of this chapter was stunning. “A blanket can’t shield me from the noose,” is a hard-hitting statement that briefly captures the realistic and calm demeanor which Derick possesses throughout the whole chapter.

Summarily, you have done an exquisite job executing the first chapter of this story and I am so eager to read more! If you ever need anything at all, don’t hesitate to contact me. I’d love to speak with you sometime!

Sincerely,
Paige




Wolfi says...


Wow, thanks Paige! I'm happy you enjoyed it. :D Not only is this review very helpful, but it's also written very well. Like when you write, "a hard-hitting statement that briefly captures the realistic and calm demeanor which Derick possesses throughout the whole chapter..." That's a beautiful sentence! xD (I'm kind of reviewing your review now, aren't I?) Thank you so much!




"My spelling is wobbly. It's good spelling, but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
— A.A. Milne