16+

don't break hearts, break minds

by LadySpark

it falls fast and it falls hard--
whether that's rain or love, i'm not really sure
but it still falls and suddenly all you're left with--
yes you, the boy with the golden hair and all the dreams--
is a bottle of pills or a leather jacket that smells like him
(and what's a leather jacket compared to someone who was the world?)
you were so unlucky, darling
to be the only person in the world to fall in love with someone
who just simply can't love you back.

you can punch and punch and punch the glass celling till it shatters,
but in the end all you're left with is shards in your hair and cuts on your porcelain skin
and still, he's not there and it kills, baby, i know it does--
and there's nothing you can do.

full stops and periods have no place here--
whether that's in poetry or in love, i don't know
but i do know that when he writes you newspaper letters
and tells you of dusty smiles from strangers meant for you, you'll believe him and then--
full stop.
the brakes of a train screaming as they stop inches from crashing into your brain.
dammit, sweetheart, i know you hoped they'd smash your skull.

MyGlassHeart wrote a review...

Heartbreaking, its truly heartbreaking. I have loved someone so much in the past that when they walked away it broken me in two, all i wanted to do was kick and scream sometimes maybe even die like the character above. The poem almost seems to have sci-fi quality to it, i just cant put my finger on how to explain it. I really really enjoyed your poem, if this is based on true feeling and event i want to tell you that it gets better, i promise. I know that doesn't mean much coming from some unknown person but God never gives us things He knows we cannot handle.

Dreamwalker wrote a review...

Sparky, m'dear, it's easy to tell what influences you, creatively speaking. This has a very strong taste of Siken, or rather the thing that makes Siken's work so powerful which is his ability to articulate longing to the point of desperation. I get the sense that this was supposed to feel desperate and alarming.

Kyllorac covered pretty well everything grammatically so I'm not gonna spend too much time on that. What I want to discuss, particularly, is content and your use of imagery to make said content appear as it does.

If I'm being frank with you, because I think you have grown enough to deserve a frank review from me, this poem didn't really hit home until the last stanza, as if you wanted to create that sense of desperation but were unsure exactly how to without making the voice/narrator sound condescending. In this particular case, the narrator does sound condescending, and judge-y, and I'm curious as to if this was something you meant to do or if it was something that came about on its own as poetry has a habit of doing. It's the number one difference between your stylistic choices and that of Siken, who condemns but does so in a way that sympathizes. Because Siken is not only looking at the boy with the golden hair, but he is the boy, and he is the boy said boy is in love with and he is the moral at the end of the story. It's multi-faceted.

I'm not sure how I feel about this poem. In a lot of ways, I think the difference is what sets this apart from Siken. I think that almost god-like tone used throughout this could be something used to your advantage, if you're looking to play that role through poetry. As a reader, though, this poem was fairly uncomfortable. I felt as if I wanted to feel something for the subject whether he be physical or metaphorical but the laid judgements made it feel as if I shouldn't. That I should be judging, too.

Not, of course, to say this was displeasing. The fact that we can even dissect a poem to this degree is a sign that not only have you grown as a writer, but you're looking at the deeper meaning. Trying to, shall we say, transcend language with language. Its a distinct feature but one that suggest you are, in fact, growing.

And that last stanza is beautiful simply for those first two lines. Thats what I came here to see. I want to see you in your work, not the judgements you claim to make through it. I want to see your musings and those two lines are exactly it.

Much love, as always.
~ Walker

LadySpark says...

omg thank you thank you thank you thank you <33333

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:54 am
Kale wrote a review...

Hello Sparky. I'm here to review as requested.

it falls fast and it falls hard--

I'm liking this start, mainly because it plays with the cliche of falling in love. With that said, I think it would be worthwhile to go back and edit the -- into proper — throughout the poem because they look cleaner.

Then again, the -- does tie in visually with the broken imagery you have running through this. I'm just not sure that was a deliberate choice on your part, so if it was, you'll need to make that clearer somehow, possibly by playing a bit more with your punctuation to reflect the brokenness of the m-dashes.

yes you,

I think a comma after "yes" would help this line read a little clearer and more smoothly. Right now, it isn't clear until the comma after "you" that "you" is being directly addressed.

the glass celling

"Ceiling" is misspelled. Also, I'm not so sure the imagery of the glass ceiling is quite appropriate? It evokes a much more corporate and businesslike setting than the one in this poem, and the clash in context makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

cuts on your porcelain skin

The "porcelain" just rubs me the wrong way. It's such a cliched description for skin, and I've noticed that you like using it a lot in your writing. I really don't see a good reason for the skin to be described as porcelain in this case, and it doesn't mesh as a description of "you" since "you" is strong enough to break a glass ceiling, even as "porcelain" is shorthand for fragility.

I really want to like this because it echoes the structure of the first two lines, but it's just not working for me. How periods relate to love in particular throws this off because of the context the full stop and poetry create, and while I suppose it could refer to time periods, that's a reading is a bit of a stretch.

full stop.

I'm really not a fan of the period on this line. I think setting this off with its own font or effect would work better. Italics or parentheses might work. Surrounding this with parentheses could mimic the sides of a period, which could also tie into the brokenness of the m-dashes.

This line felt too wordy. I'd suggest cutting out the "crashing into" since the crashing is pretty clearly implied by the smashing mentioned in the next line.

For the most part, you did a good job with carrying images through, which I liked, but I still can't figure out how the title relates to the poem as a whole, namely the "break minds" bit. "Mind" is a lot more abstract than "brain" and "skull", and a mind isn't necessarily tied to either, so if that's what the "mind" in the title was intended to allude to, it's not working.

LadySpark says...

thankyouthankyouthankyou

as for the glass ceiling bit, that's mostly there because i literally could not think of /anything else to put there/. I'm not happy with it either, but I still can't figure out what to put there instead. I love the idea of putting parentheses around the 'full stop' line, but would parentheses make it so... abrupt? that's the reason I chose the period. It stops you completely, which was kind of the point, but maybe it doesn't work as well.
anyway, thank you so much darling, that was exactly what I needed <3

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:37 am
sincerelymayhem wrote a review...

Holy, wow. This really caught my attention. The line that said "whether thats in poetry or in love, i dont know" is so true. You can really tell that you poured your heart out into this one, but at the same time it sounds almost comforting. Like you're trying to help someone recover from a broken heart. The last two lines are astounding. Keep up the good work!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:25 am
EscapeToNeverland wrote a review...

Hey! It's Neverland here to review!!

First off I'd just like to say, good job, I really, really enjoyed this poem. *claps*

Just wow. Loved. It. Like, alot. This needs to get spotlight, you deserves it!!!!

I've gone through a rough patch in my relationship a couple weeks ago, and was really worried about how things were gonna turn out. And even though in the end everything was fine, I still had some doubt that he didn't love me anymore....

But anyway, that's not the point of my review! At first your poor use of gramma anoyed the hell out of me, but then I realised that it had a purpose...

You used some very beautiful language and word use here. There is no way I could pick a favourite line!! If I had to I'd just copy and paste the whole thing!

Anyway, I'm going to stop going on about how beautiful this is. Seriously, this is marvellous!!

I look forward to seeing more of your work in the Greenroom ready and waiting to be reviewed!!

~Neverland

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:50 am
Odd says...

I would leave a review but there aren't any negative things to say about it, so I'll just make this a comment.

I love this.

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket