12+

Daffodils

by niteowl

A/N: This is my entry for the poetry as prose contest.  This is (loosely) based on "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud" by William Wordsworth.  Enjoy! Link here

I drive to the bay, my tin can filled with daffodils in the passenger seat. My husband doesn’t understand this drive, just like he doesn’t understand why I insist on growing daffodils. He read somewhere that they symbolized death and the underworld, and ever since he insisted I should plant something else, something happier. But nothing else seemed as happy as my little yellow stars, and so we fought. Eventually, we expanded the garden area and put in some different flowers so we could have some variety without touching the daffodils.

A song comes on the radio, a throwback from ten years ago. My mind wanders to when that song blasted from the speakers on the beach as Rose and I came to celebrate the Spring Equinox. I liked parties about as much as I liked that song, but my roommate was like a social goddess. Usually, she’d let me stay in and study, but that night, she insisted.

“Elaine, come on! It’s so beautiful outside. You don’t really want to waste the best years of your life in this little box of a room, do you?”

I gave in, but by the time Rose got me a can of beer from the cooler and introduced me to James, I was regretting that choice. I opened the can and took the tiniest sip, but all I tasted was bitter. I couldn’t understand how anyone drank enough to actually get drunk. I tried to follow whatever Rose and James were talking about since I didn’t know anyone else, but the way she playfully touched his arm and the way he looked at her made it clear that I was an unwelcome third wheel.

The last time I saw them was on last year’s Christmas card, all grown up and smiling with their four-year-old daughter. One of the few college couples who made it.

Just 50 miles to go now. Sometimes I hate living four hours away, but I know I need the distance. I need to remember, but if I lived here, I would do nothing else, I told the daffodils on the bay six years ago when I said goodbye. The daffodils have become the silent keepers of memory. 

It’s strange to think how I might have never noticed the daffodils in my entire four years of college if I’d left that party when I first wanted to. Instead, I wandered around a while, watching buffoons chugging beer after beer and bikini-clad girls running into the frigid ocean and tossing around a beach ball.

I first saw him lying down on a fleece blanket in the grass on the outskirts of the party. Now that guy’s got the right idea, I thought. I immediately headed closer to join him, and then stopped, realizing he may not want to be bothered. Well if he doesn’t, I’ll go home. Carpe diem. Now I just had to think of something clever to say.

“Mind if I crash your stargazing party over here?”

“Not at all.”

His name was Ben, and he was a sophomore studying English, not that he knew what he wanted to do with it. He told me he loved stargazing because his dad would take him out camping in the middle of nowhere so they could see more stars.

“Have you ever looked up at the stars, at the pictures we’re supposed to see from ancient stories, and thought ‘I could do better’? That’s what I like to do, make my own patterns.”

“Sounds interesting. What do you see over there?” I pointed at some random part of the night sky. I couldn’t remember what the constellation was supposed to be, but we eventually decided it was now a cheeseburger. In retrospect, I think we were both just hungry, because I’ve looked at those stars a thousand times since and I’ve never seen a cheeseburger again.

We lay down side by side, renaming the stars. Every so often, his arm would brush against mine as we pointed at the sky. My heart started beating faster, no matter how much I tried to assume it was accidental. I knew all too well the consequences of jumping to conclusions when it came to guys. Before starting college, I promised myself that I would never make the first move and I would take things slow so I wouldn’t get hurt again. With Ben, I only kept one of those promises.

The next few hours just flew by. The whole time, I found myself wishing I could flirt the way Rose could, with her perfect green eyes and seemingly magical ability to charm any man. Every time I tried to smile just so or bat my eyelashes, I felt like a boy-crazy puppet. I wanted to be genuine, to be myself, but people like my roommate made me think that just wasn’t enough. Would it be enough for the dark-haired stargazer next to me?

My musings were interrupted by a stray beach ball that hit Ben square in the face. As he readjusted his glasses, Rose ran over and caught it. When she saw us, her mouth dropped open.

“Oh my God, are you two…?”

“No, no.” I responded, perhaps a little too fast. “We’ve just been hanging out looking at the stars.”

“Nerds,” Rose rolled her eyes. “Well Elaine, I’ll be heading home in a bit if you want to walk together.”

Before I left, Ben and I exchanged numbers. As we walked home, Rose and I talked about our evening. Rose was convinced she was going to marry James, but I was skeptical. 

Five years later, I struggled not to cry at their wedding on a much nicer beach than the little patch of land where they fell in love. They’d had their big fights and their time apart, but at the end of the day, they were never quite as happy with anyone else.

I get to the bay, park, and walk up to “the beach”, which is really just a small piece of sand and grass where the college kids like to hang out on nice days. It’s near sunset, and this generation of students looks much the same as mine, right down to playing with a beach ball in the water.

I sit down near the very same daffodils where we first gazed up at the stars. He picked some for me the next week as we sat down after eating way too much pizza. I had mentioned offhand that my birthday was coming up at the end of March, at which point he yanked a few out of the ground.

“My mother’s really into daffodils. She’s got a March birthday, too, and apparently that’s the birthday flower. I don’t know much about flowers, but they are pretty.” He paused and looked at the makeshift bouquet. “It would be really cheesy for me to say ‘But not as pretty as you, wouldn’t it?”

“Yeah it would.” I laughed, unsure how to handle this compliment.

“Well it’s true.” He continued. “ Look, words are failing me, and I’m an English major.” By that point, words had failed me too, and so I broke my own rule about taking things slow. On that night, it seemed rather overrated.

I pull out the notebook he gave me nine years ago. I only write it in when I’m at our beach. He said paper was the traditional first anniversary gift (another fact he’d learned from his mother). I pointed out that we weren’t married.

“Yet.” was his only reply.

The second year was “cotton”, and so he got me the golden sundress I’ve worn every Spring Equinox since. Stunned, I asked if he’d picked it out by himself. He said yes, but then admitted his mother helped him out. 

Ben’s mother has always had impeccable taste. Even now, she manages to send the best Christmas gifts. Last year, she found the perfect pair of heels that was both fashionable and very comfortable.

The third year, he swore he picked out the gift entirely on his own. It was a leather wallet, which was actually well-timed as my old one was falling apart. I set it aside at first, but he insisted I open it. As I unzipped it, he went down on one knee.

“It’s been three amazing years, Elaine. We’re graduating soon, and I still don’t know where I’m going next or where I’ll end up, but I know I want you to be there until the end. Will you marry me?” I slipped the ring on, and somehow it looked like it was always meant to be there.

I start fiddling with the ring, now worn on my neck. Some things, like some people, are worth holding on to. I thought about throwing it dramatically in the ocean at the funeral, but thankfully I listened to Rose.

“You save things for a reason, Elaine. It’s part of him, and he’ll always be part of you. I know you want to forget now, but someday you’ll want to remember.”

She was half right. I want to remember the daffodils, the long summer days, even the times when we were so stressed out from school that we nearly killed each other. I want to remember all the cadences of his voice, whether he was angry, joking, sarcastic, or all too serious.

But more than anything, I want to forget that phone call. I was with my mother, Ben’s mother, my sister, and Rose. This was our third attempt at finding the perfect dress, but somehow nothing had seemed right. I came out in a beaded A-line that I thought would be “the dress”. However, Ben’s mother was holding back tears, and it wasn’t because of me.

He had been out grocery shopping when a drunk driver decided to run a red light. The impact killed him instantly. I wish I could forget the site of his crumpled-up Civic and having to help Ben’s mother make those phone calls. I wish I had never been forced to switch from planning a wedding to planning a funeral.

“ ‘Til death do us part,” I whispered as we scattered his ashes at the beach. He’d told me once that he wanted to fly in the wind, not rot in the ground. Part of the ashes landed on the daffodils. I think he would have liked being part of them.

Most of the time, I am perfectly happy as Mrs. Austin Glenwood. I’m a successful CPA and he’s in marketing, so we’re well off financially. We have a beautiful house by the sea, not unlike what Ben and I first dreamed about. We’re busy, but we try to make time for each other. We don’t have children yet, but we probably will in the next few years. I love Austin and our life together.

But in March, my heart travels back in time. To two kids making new star patterns on the beach. To a time when the future was unknown, but we believed that we’d make it. To a love witnessed by the first blooms of spring from beginning to tragic end.

As I smell a daffodil, I see a man wearing the dress shirt and khakis he bought after we graduated. An English teacher, after all, couldn’t just wear old T-shirts. He looks a bit older, a little more worn, as if we had aged side by side. On his left ring finger he wears a silver wedding band, just like the ones we’d been looking at but never bought. He steps closer, and for a moment I believe we can touch, but my hand goes right through him.

As the sky grows dark he stays by my side and together we watch the stars in silence. Here among our daffodils, we have a piece of what might have been. As the sun rises, I feel a chill around me as we attempt to embrace. He disappears, and I leave the tin can of daffodils behind before taking my heart and body back to the present. 

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 am
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

Hi niteowl! This'll just be a short-ish review, as a way of judging the competition, as well as a bit of a thank you for entering my competition.

The emotion in this piece was... wow. Intense. I think that aspect was handled wonderfully - it wasn't overblown or overdone, which gave it a rather natural feel. I believed it, in other words. There were parts of it that held so much emotion in a few words (the part about Elaine going from planning a wedding to planning a funeral really got me). That said, as much as you created a really strong sense of sadness, it wasn't too soul-crushing. You created a really beautiful, melancholic tone, and it was a pleasure to read.

I loved what you did in the 'poetry-inspired' department. There were parts in your story that I could clearly see the link to lines of the poem, but it felt really effortless. I really enjoyed this interpretation of the poem, and how both works tied into each other.

I don't have much to complain about when it comes to this piece, in all honesty. The one thing I did notice, however, was that the dialogue was a little wordy. It just didn't sit quite right as the way people speak. Because the rest really was very beautifully written, it stood out a bit more than it otherwise would have. I think that the problem is tied to the length of the dialogue chunks, possibly splitting them up might help them feel a bit more natural.

I quite liked the time jumps. I think you maintained a good sense of clarity in terms of when we were in Elaine's life, and I didn't get lost at all, which was very impressive and made me happy!

I wish I had more to say, but there wasn't all that much that I saw that needed to be pointed out. I noticed you've commented to a few of the reviews below mine that you aren't a prose writer, but I wouldn't have been able to tell reading this. Magnificent work!

niteowl says...

Thanks for the review, and also thanks for giving me first place! I definitely worked for it lol. :P

About the dialogue: On reading it, I see what you mean. However, the first draft had a LOT more dialogue, and it might be a little more realistic, but I felt like it was TOO much so and it was long and getting in the way of emotion. Like here's the original "Rose convinces Elaine to go to the party" scene.

My mind drifts to the day I was dragged out to that so-called beach party. I can still hear Rose trying to convince me to join her.
%u201COh come on, Elaine. It%u2019s just one test! You%u2019ll do great, you%u2019re like a genius. You don%u2019t even need to study. Besides, that%u2019s what Sundays are for.%u201D Easy for her to say, I thought. She was the kind of student who would show up hung over on test day and still ace it. I, on the other hand, had to work for my GPA.
%u201CI don%u2019t know if I%u2019m in the mood tonight%u2026maybe some other time?%u201D That usually worked. By the time %u201Csome other time%u201D came around, Rose had forgotten that I%u2019d ever said that.
%u201CYou always say that! But there is no other time! It%u2019s our first Spring Equinox party!%u201D
%u201CBut the Equinox isn%u2019t until Tuesday.%u201D
%u201CYeah, whatever, close enough. I know parties aren%u2019t your thing, but everyone is going to be there. I%u2019ve heard this is the can%u2019t-miss party of the year.%u201D
%u201CWell I can%u2019t miss passing this test.%u201D
%u201CYou%u2019ll be fine! You%u2019re only a freshman once, after all. You can%u2019t waste it all in this tiny room studying.%u201D
She had a point. The last time I went to a party with Rose, I didn%u2019t really do much but stand there all bored, but maybe if I loosened up a little it would be better. And it%u2019s not like I%u2019d actually absorbed any information in the past hour anyway.
%u201CFine, I%u2019ll go.%u201D

More realistic? Maybe, but that's a lot of words dedicated to something that's not super-important for the story. And the dialogue between Elaine and Ben was boring and terrible. So in the rewrite, I decided to only include really big, "punchy" dialogue, which might be why it's so wordy.

Still, that's something I should watch for in the future when I'm more focused on dialogue. Thanks again! :D

TriSARAHtops says...

No worries.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:06 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hey, niteowl!

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I really did not expect this. For 'not usually writing prose', this is fantastic, yet there is still some improvement to be made. I'll start with the critique and then some more praise.

So, you keep a really nice pacing through out this, with Elaine driving to the old site of her deceased fiancé, but I found the beginning really hard to get in to. The fact that I'm somewhat tired may not help, but the thoughts don't seem as connected as they should be, and even looking back after reading to the end, I still don't quite get it all.

It starts off with Elaine driving with the daffodils and then it goes on a completely different course from her husband not understanding this drive (which doesn't make sense, because he has to know about Ben. I mean, she has to talk about him sometime and he would then understand that she still misses him and she has to visit him sometimes.) to talking about him disliking daffodils. The connection is there, but the first two lines and the last three lines don't match up.

Another thing that I noticed throughout this is the sometimes sudden transitions from memories and thoughts to present. The further in I read, the better it became (the transitions) but one that really juts out at me is in the beginning, when it swaps from daffodils to the music with no correlation. Sure it's the present, but still try to refer back to what just happened so the paragraphs can flow together.

I'm a really big fan of how you wrote this in present tense, because I barely ever see that and it works really well here as the reader connects to Elaine, but there are some warnings. Because of the present tense, everything has to happen in real time, so pausing to think about things and then swapping back to present took time, and you normally did a nice job of this, but there were other spots that seemed to hook the actions together and ignore the thoughts in between. (I hope that made sense.)

When it comes to the paragraph talking about how she is only 50 miles away, I was completely lost. The paragraph appeared to jump idea to idea and the correlation wasn't apparent. How does her needing the distance have anything to do with abandoning daffodils? It's alright to have a hinting at something, but when it's scattered and more confusing than foreshadowing, something's need to be cleared up or smoothed out.

After all this, I still really like this, and after the rough beginning, I sunk into the story and really enjoyed it. My favorite part about this was it was all times so perfectly. While Ben and Elanie were together and then he proposed I was so happy for her, and then I began to wonder what happened with Ben and then there was almost an instant answer to my question, which is great! You held my attention to the right moment only to reveal something else.

Beautifully written, once again. Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

niteowl says...

Thanks for the review! I'll work on some of the transitions. As for the "50 miles away" paragraph, I was saying that she needed to move far away from the beach to move on with her life. She was saying goodbye to the beach, not all daffodils. Since daffodils are perennial flowers, I was saying they remembered.

In the beginning, I was thinking that the husband thinks she should be more "moved on" than she is. He doesn't like the daffodils because to him, they symbolize the past and death. In the first version, he actually comes around in the end, but I liked this ending better when I rewrote.

Thanks again!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:09 pm
Em101cats wrote a review...

Hello! This is Em101Cats here to review!

Wow. Just wow.

I didn't find any mistakes, but that could be because I kept wanting to read, read, read, to let the next words sink deep into my mind, to see what happens next, to discover the story in its true self. Your story was so well-written, so beautiful and elegant, so flawless that I found that happening.

There's not much else for me to say. Really, all I can describe this as is beautiful! I came across this, wondering if I'd find another cliché-story-from-the-closet sort of thing; however, when I read the first paragraph I was entranced and had to keep reading. I was so satisfied at the ending, yet I was left so bittersweet at the notion of the poor woman's lost love. I'm a sucker for bittersweet stories.

I'm typing so many compliments so fast that I'm fumbling over my words. I can't seem to find the right letters, even after a semester of a typing and career exploration class.

Thank you for this work! Keep up the amazing writing!
~Em101Cats~

niteowl says...

Thank you! I don't normally write prose, but it sounds like I met the challenge. :)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:55 am
WrittenEdge wrote a review...

Hiyah!
This was absolutely amazing! Throughout the entire story, I could feel my heart pounding, because you described every little detail perfectly. When she was remembering how they met, I couldn't help but feel butterflies in my stomach. It was a common way to meet, but it didn't seem too cliché just because of how you wrote it.
One thing I really love about this story were the characters. They were pretty well developed, and you even talked about Elaine's current husband a bit, which is good because it kind of contrasts with her meant-to-be groom from the past. I actually felt so strongly about Elaine and Ben being together, that it absolutely made my heart drop once I realized that he had actually died. Sympathy, something that every reader should feel towards a character, and I surely felt it.
I also like how you explain the reasoning behind the daffodils later on in the story, and not right away. It makes the reader want to read more, because they don't have the answer yet; which I bet you already knew.
By the way, I'm pretty sure that my favorite line throughout this entire thing is:

“ ‘Til death do us part,” I whispered as we scattered his ashes at the beach

It's just because of how it has so much meaning, and it's only like that because of the situation.
Now, this is the part where I usually point out the mistakes... but I honestly couldn't find any. If they're there, then I was just too into the story to realize... Good job!
Again, I really liked reading this! I think you did an amazing job, and good luck on the contest!

niteowl says...

Thank you! I don't usually write stories, so this took a while. :)

Some people file their [tax] returns inside of a dead fish.
— John Oliver