The Stream

by Kale

This story is being written and posted in whatever order I write it in. Wondering why?

Visit this thread for more information.

- - -

The stream was smaller than John had been expecting, and it was a lot muddier too. John didn’t want to think about how much angrier his father would be when he came back with muddy shoes. Instead, he gathered up as much mud as his hands could hold and began piling it at the edge of the path.

Once he had a large enough pile, John gathered grasses, pulling clumps out by the roots, and made a sling from them. He piled the mud into the sling and headed back to the many-faced post, covered in mud up to his knees and elbows.

“He’s back! He’s back! I told you he’d be!”

“It took more than fifty steps,” John said as he dropped the sling of mud and grass near the base of the post. Mud was surprisingly heavy.

The thoughtful face frowned. “That would be because you stepped into the streambed. It grows wider in the spring and narrower in the summer. If you had taken but fifty strides, as I had instructed, your shoes would have remained clean.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that earlier?”

“Why did you continue walking through the mud?”

John’s fists balled by his sides. “Because you didn’t tell me!”

“You cannot expect everyone to tell you everything.”

John’s face felt like he had sunburn with how hot and itchy it felt, and he knew his entire head and neck were redder than the leaves on the ground. Tears stung the corners of his eyes, and he stomped a foot on the ground, kicking up a flurry of leaves and twigs.

“Well, maybe you can’t expect people to know everything! And maybe you can’t expect them to help you!”

“Now you’ve done it,” John heard the formidable face say as he ran away.

John ran back to the stream. It was the only place he could run to. He couldn’t run back to the house. He couldn’t stay at the post. He didn’t know anywhere else to go, except for the stream.

He stopped at the edge of the mud, just before the holes his shoes left began, and hunkered down in a pile of grass to cry. The thoughtful face was right. He didn’t have to keep walking through the mud. He should have stopped when he noticed his shoes were getting dirty. But did the thoughtful face have to be so mean about it? He was just a kid, and people never expected him to know anything because he was a kid.

John sniffed and wondered why it hurt so much not to know something.

He sat on his heels for a while, shredding grass and tossing it towards the stream. None of the shreds came close to the water. Once he had shredded enough grass to completely coat the mud in front of him, John stood up, stretched his legs, and walked back to the post.

The excited face looked especially excited as John came back into view. “Hi!” An uncertain face frowned before the excited face reappeared. “Um… are you here to help us? We understand if you don’t want to anymore! But we really need the help…”

“Truly, we apologize for our earlier behavior, child.”

“It was presumptuous to assume you would know such details of the local geography.”

“You mean, you forgot to explain, and that you’re sorry.”

“Yes. Ahem. I do apologize for not explaining the situation in full. I assumed that, as you were an intelligent young man, you would be aware of such a basic property of streambeds—”

“Anyways!” The excited face nudged its way into view. “We’re really, really sorry!”

John looked down at the ground and played with his hands. “You really think I’m intelligent?” he asked after a long silence.

“Far more than most.”

“Yeah! Most people just stare at us with this blank look on their face! And then they just walk away! They don’t even say hello! So rude!”

“At the least, child, you are more considerate than most.”

“The last kid that tried to climb up knocked four faces off.”

“And he wouldn’t stop no matter how nicely we asked him!”

“It was incredibly unpleasant.”

“Oh,” said John. “That’s terrible.”

“It is! It really is! So will you help us?”

“You are the first to listen to us in a long while, child. If you do not help us, we may fall apart entirely before another comes who may listen.”

“Please help us.”

“Okay,” said John, “but you have to promise you won’t be mean if I mess up, okay?”

“Okay! Hooray! We’re saved!”

“Now, the first thing you should do is organize the faces by expression…”

Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Heya Kyllorac, pretzelsing here for another review of your work. I got to say that I am lovin and adoring every next chapter more and more <33
Let's begin,shall we?

The stream was smaller than John had been expecting, and it was a lot muddier too.

I was just wondering, out of curiosity, was the stream smaller in length or in width? I just wanted to know to imagine which one of the two. Also, shouldn't a stream be muddy?? I mean isn't that pretty normal? ;)

Once he had a large enough pile, John gathered grasses, pulling clumps out by the roots, and made a sling from them.

Let's be realistic here, how in the world do you make a sling out of dry grass? Wouldn't the mud just fall right through? I mean, I really don't understand how that can hold and work for John.

Mud was surprisingly heavy.

Isn't it normal and doesn't everyone know that mud is heavy :o I mean I think John should have realized that maybe before he took on the job of doing this...

This story was kind of off with the story because if the first place the only one who told him this was the thoughtful face. So not "everyone was telling John everything" that just isn't true. If I recall correctly,then only one of the faces told this to John.

Okay so now this is a more general thing, but I counted that the faces said "sorry" five different times(and I think even five different faces) and that was getting repetitive and boring. In fact I kind of skimmed/skipped over it. What you could do it just get one "spokesman" of the group and just that one "rock face" tell John that they are very very sorry. There is no need for that much emphasis and repetition, because every reader gets your point.

Umm, did you notice what one of the rocks here is doing: still insulting John. Is that why the excited rock face had to interrupt? Because honestly John could have taken that quote as an offensive. I assumed that you were an intelligent young man, you would be aware..."
Spelling it out, that is practically the same thing as saying. "Oh yeah, I thought that you were smart,but if you were than you should have know this or that."
If someone said that to me or you how would me/you feel?

One minor comment is that I would strikeout "the" before least to make this sentence flow better and more smoothly.

Oh I got to say that the last sentence is great! It's like get-down-to-business and do your part,John. I wonder how organized the stones will go for him :P (I guess that I will just have to find out). Also I personally think that before John agrees to actually help these rocks then he must have at least a moment of hesitation or a moment of thinking. This is a decision that could prolong his stay and make him work hard you know. But at least he had the promise of the rocks to never be mean to him again. I wouldn't be so quick as to trust them though, since they insulted him at least five plus times(even after they said sorry >.<)

Why does John care about he mud and his shoes? Isn't he just a little kid? And from my experience little kids love playing and rolling around in mud, swimming in streams, and throwing grass. Also his worry about his father's reaction shows that he is actually pretty mature and thinks about the consequences of his actions(even if it was very accidental)c:
I am loving this kid John more and more with every chapter <3

I am still having trouble with the dialogue thing, which rock is talking when? Now I know that isn't really important, but it does kind of express who they are in a sense. I'm not telling you to put who said what by every quotation,but maybe just make it a little bit more clear and easier to follow by tagging them.

Anyways, that's it from me. If you have any questions/comments, you can reply below.I hope that this review truly helped improve your writing.

KEEP ON WRITING!

HAPPY REVIEW DAY!

Kale says...

I was just wondering, out of curiosity, was the stream smaller in length or in width?

If it were short in length, it wouldn't be a stream. Streams are long, continuous flows of water. They're just not as wide as a river.

Streams themselves are not muddy. Stream-beds and banks sometimes are, but not always. Streams that have rocks making up the stream-bed or banks are not very muddy at all, so the stream being muddier than John expected is an important detail.

Let's be realistic here, how in the world do you make a sling out of dry grass? Wouldn't the mud just fall right through?

I was being quite realistic. Grass slings are pretty simple to make. You get long grass, lie them parallel, and then make a bed on top with shorter blades that run perpendicular to the base grasses. To move the sling (and whatever is on it), you just grab the long grasses by the ends (which is easier if you keep the roots attached). Mud, since it's so thick, does not fall through, and there aren't that many large gaps in the sling if you make a decent bed.

Long grass is very easily found near streams.

Even when you know something is going to be heavy, it can still surprise you with exactly how heavy it is. For example, a thick textbook is going to be heavy, but if that textbook is made from heavyweight paper, it's going to be even heavier than you expect it would be.

That's basically John's situation with the mud. It's a lot thicker and heavier than he was expecting, which is why the weight surprised him a little.

I have no idea what you were trying to say here? Could you clarify?

Umm, did you notice what one of the rocks here is doing: still insulting John. Is that why the excited rock face had to interrupt?

Yes and yes. It was deliberate.

It does not fit that particular character's voice. The sad face speaks in a super old-fashioned, wordy way. That "the" is there to stay.

Why does John care about he mud and his shoes?

Because it would make his father angrier. It was explained right in that sentence.

As for tagging the stones: I'll be adding in a few more tags, but not that many more. Each stone has a distinct way of speaking, which makes adding a bunch of tags feel a bit redundant to me.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:58 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Ohai Kyll,

What is this? Another review on another of your works? Shock and awe, I know, do try to keep your socks on as I continue.

(I just accidentally deleted all of this review and had to begin again -.-)

Your characterisation feels pretty on point, I'm tagging John as between 6-8, leaning toward the younger because of his temper tantrum. In particular, I'm fond of the way he went red and itchy, that's some good imagery there. In fact throughout the piece you maintain some very solid imagery and description so it's easy to imagine everything that is happening.

About the grass: how on earth do you make a sling out of ripped out grass? I don't know if you mean there is a lot of long grass near the river bed? You don't mention it, and I feel like walking through or near it would evoke something about itchy legs or the light rustle against his knees that tickles or some such. I was imagining this handful of short grass and it made no sense at all - can you tell I don't often river?

I'm into all of your dialogue but I'm not feeling the sign very much. There's something about the faces, the excited and thoughtful and the like that isn't working out for me. It might just be that I think the idea is silly, that it's a kid imagining something silly, but it also might be that the emotions are just so simple I'm surprised by them. In either case it isn't a super big problem, only one to think about vaguely perhaps. It could very well just be me.

You're good at dialogue, I'm chill with it. I'm not sure how sold I am on the characterisation of the sign and of the grass but I can ignore it for something short and pretty sweet. This kid also feels like we're back in time somewhat. It might be the stilted dialogue going on? Young kids all seem the same to me over time though, so that might not matter.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it.
- Pen.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:45 am
notresponsible wrote a review...

Hello! This is notresponsible here to review.

First off, this story is interesting. It brings so many questions to mind like, "Who are the faces? Are they apart of his imagination because he is a lonely child? Are they demons that are getting a little boy to do their bidding and summon them?" Those are just a few. This story (in my opinion) seems very cryptic and dark which I do like.

I do see a few mistakes (nitpicking). you wrote, "Mud was surprisingly heavy." I think you meant The mud was surprisingly heavy. It just seemed to throw me off a little.

And maybe the formidable face could show have shown more emotion when he spoke. someone who is formidable should sound forceful and exciting. Your formidable face seemed kind of bland and lackluster.

But overall it was a great start and I will check out the rest of story. Hopefully I gave you some good criticism. Thanks =)

Kale says...

Thanks for the review.

The line you pointed out as a mistake isn't a mistake. When you talk about something in general, you don't need an article before it since articles make things more specific. "Mud (in general) was surprisingly heavy" is the intended meaning, because John makes multiple trips.

I'm curious about the other things you caught, though. It would be great if you could point them out.

I'm not very happy with the formidable face, myself, and I'm not sure "formidable" is the best word to describe that one (but it was the closest I could come up with). That face is generally quite critical, aloof, and crabby. I'm thinking "intimidating" might work better, or "judgmental".

Okay i understand what you mean. and since you explained it that way I'm kind of embarrassed lol and I am unsure about any mistake I thought I saw.

Formidable face sounded unique and new to me at least. I haven't looked at your work yet but I can't tell who these faces belong to if they belong to anyone. I'm guessing that's on purpose?

Kale says...

Even if you're not sure about them being mistakes anymore, it would still be really helpful to me if you could point them out. This is supposed to be a children's story, so any things that made you trip up might also trip up the intended audience.

The faces belong to a very unique signpost. The Post takes place just before this scene, and it basically how John and the faces meet, so who the faces belong to is not intended to be a mystery.

I'm posting the story out of order because I'm writing it out of order, so don't worry too much about not knowing what happened earlier in the story. I don't really know myself because I haven't written it all out yet. >.>

To be a master of metaphor is the greatest thing by far. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others, and it is also a sign of genius.
— Aristotle, Poetics