A Forest Stained Red (EDITED Version)

by heavymetal247

Once There Laid a Big Bad Wolf

Jack Lumber stood before the wolf, sneering at it’s headless body.

“Well, there ya go ma’am, now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be on my way.” Jack sauntered towards the door, lighting his cigar.

“Wait!” Amanda Gray screeched.

Jack swerved his head around, frowning as he blew out the wisp of smoke through his nostrils. He scanned her bluntly.

Ms. Gray was an annoying old hag that feared everyone and everything. Many people thought she was such an adorable, helpless old lady that just needed a friend. She was no woman, and there was no way in hell she was adorable, she was ancient people! Her hair draped over her shoulders like a silver mop weaved into a ball, similar to a vultures nest. She was a ghastly beast who lurked this home. I’m surprised the old lass still breathes.

Jack swallowed the taste of vomit that penetrated his tongue, the taste swelled and stung deep inside his mouth, sending fumes of disgust to trap itself within his skull. His eyes watered a bit.

“Well? What do you need?” Jack spat out.

Amanda glared at him then shifted her gaze upon the beheaded wolf. “What do you suppose I do with this?” Her face scrunched up, repulsed by the excruciating stench.

“Keep it as a souvenir, hang it upon your wall. NO.” Jack dropped the cigar and smashed it beneath his boot. “Hang it’s spine along your chandelier.”

Amanda frowned at him. “I have no chandelier, I live in a shack.”

Jack examined his surroundings, absorbing all of its shriveled half painted walls, chipped wooden trims, and the shadow like figures that seemed to dance alone in every corner. She really is alone up here.

“Then stuff the head, and hang it.” Jack mumbled, infuriated with Ms. Gray . Just let me be dammit! He strolled out, slamming the door shut behind him. He stopped and glared up at the murky sky, inhaling deep.

How helpless.

Just before he would unglue each step, and return to work, a girl leaped at him tumbling them both down the hill cloaked in debris.

She screeched as she held onto him firmly. A rock jabbed into her shoulder, giving off enough pressure to puncture the skin, and spill. Their fall ceased.

The girl laid there upon his body, her face planted.

“What the hell kid!” Jack glared at the girl, tossing her off of him. “You wanna’ get killed!” He rose up patting off the debris from his torn pants. As he gazed down, he realized the girl was gone. Jack shrugged it off, still furious and swerved around. The girl stood before him.

Jack saw a pale girl, a cold girl. She looked as if she’s seen a ghost, or maybe she is the ghost. He thought as he gazed at her ice-pale skin. Her hair also had a part in this play, it was jet-black, almost too black too even believe it was her hair. Which honestly made her face pure as snow, and flawless. No blemishes, no freckle, no scar had embraced the girl’s face. Jack examined her closer, the girl wore striped, black and white stockings that ceased as they kissed her knees. He saw a belted corset wrapped around her waist, fitting her perfectly, the silken-laces clean and smooth, seemed to dance and weave into each other. Perfection, like a romantic embrace. A long ruffled-black skirt, hung lazily, almost obscuring her “striped” knees. As Jack studied her longer, he noticed she wore a long-sleeved shirt. In the middle of spring? The sleeve of this shirt nearly concealed her entire hand, only leaving her fingers out in the open. There was only one thing, one thing that brightened this girl, that made her pop (compared to her surroundings at least), that made her particularly peculiar. She wore a vibrant red, hooded-cloak. She wore this hood close to her eyes, the shadows blackened them, yet her emerald irises still penetrated through the cloak’s abyss.

“Do you see a bleak world Mr. Jack?” The girl whispered, cocking her head slightly.

She got up from above him, swatting off the leaves and dust.

Jack arched a brow, not quite understanding where this is going.

“Do you believe in possessions Mr. Jack?”

Jack held in a breath, as the girl sauntered towards him. All he wanted was to leave this insane Asylum, and sleep. “Kid.” Jack sighed a bit, leaning in closer cocking his head to the side. “I don’t understand what you’re trying to prove, or what you want, and I could really care less.” He sneered. “So why don’t you run along home, and play with your dolls like a good girl okay?”

The girl stared at him blankly. She didn’t even move. “My home is here, yet I have no dolls. And if you did not care Mr. Jack, you would have ignored my intrusion in the beginning, and you would have ran home like a good man would.” The girl smirked. “But you’re not a good man, are you Mr. Jack?”

Just as Jack was about to leave, the girl snatched him by the nape, gripped him tightly, and forced his head onto the window. Jack shuddered, he was a bit shocked at her impressive strength. Or was it fear that made him shiver?

“Ok kid what do you want? Do you want money? Candy? Anything?” Jack’s cheek began to burn against the scorching glass that gleamed from the sun’s golden tongue.

The girl’s forefinger began to tap gradually upon his nape, like a sedated drum, throbbing in tempo. It was so soothing, so subtle, so pure. Too pure, he thought.

“What do you see?” The girl poked his nose, then traced her finger along the window, pointing at the wolf obscured in blood. “Do you see what I see Mr. Jack?” She silently rasped.

Jack rolled his eyes, tired of playing this girl’s game. “I see a dead wolf, with its head resting at the other side of the room. Now if you don’t want to end up like him, I would suggest that you leave me be!” Jack struggled to release himself from her grip.

“Threats won’t get you anywhere sir Lumber.” She chanted quietly. “Threats won’t get you anywhere.”

Jack chuckled a bit, the pain in his cheeks began to grow numb. “Smashing stranger’s faces against windows won’t get you anywhere either sweetie.”

Jack groaned in pain as the girl pressured her grip.

“But we’re not going anywhere, now are we?” She whispered in his ear, her breath sent chills down his spine. Her breath was so cold, it was almost as if death stood beside him, whispering..

“Hey easy now. There’s no need to cause pain.” Jack mumbled shakily.

“Is that so?.” She released him. As Jack stretched and caressed his cheek, she watched him closely. Like a predator stalking the prey.

“Yeah that is so.” He mumbled, crossing his arms over his chest, “and anyone would agree.”

The girl’s eyes grew narrow and cold, “I don’t believe the wolf would agree... you caused him pain, yet you claim there is no need for such agony… what a hypocrite.” The girl chuckled, “See people like you Mr. Jack, tend to get killed by your own poison.” She smirked. Her eyes gleamed beautifully in the sunlight, it nearly solidified his thoughts.

Jack watched her. The girl started to fiddle with her hands as she sauntered back and forth, back and forth. Then her smile faded as she shot a deadly glare at him.

“People like you Mr. Jack… end up in the grave, rotting in Hell.” She sang silently.

Jack froze, not knowing what to say, not knowing what to do.

She shook her head continuing her tedious ‘waltz’. “But I don’t blame you, in life there will always be a winner, and there will always be a loser. Sometimes you’re the windshield, and sometimes you’re the bug.” She gazed at him. “Do you understand where I’m getting at Mr. Jack?”

Anger flooded his entire body, it boiled, and jabbed upon his chest. He felt as if the anger would soon claw and teeth through his torso. He could already feel the flesh burn.

Jack drew up his arms, befuddled and irritated. “No! I don’t understand! I don’t understand what this has to do with anything! I don’t even understand why I’m still here! I don’t even understand how this started, or what you’re talking about!”

The girl skipped towards him, placing her forefinger upon his lips.

“Do you know what happens to bugs like you, that encounter windshields like me Mr. Jack?” She whispered. Her eyes grew dim as she reached into her cloak. She yanks out a dagger, and lifts it at eye level. The glossy beak glimmered gloriously against the suns ray of light, it almost seemed self-absorbed in it’s confidence. It was dull, and yet he knew the girl wanted it that way. She didn’t care for the sharp tooth of the dagger, she only cared for that slow painful death, that would leave her victim screaming for their death. It was all about sufferance. And the torment was what she craved. Jack knew this blade was used many time before, it still embraced the precious blood of it victims, the dagger was only waiting to approach another to sink its teeth into. To stalk him, to capture him, to play with him, then finally the dagger would peirce its god damn tongue deep, and drink the blood that was once owned by a living man. The thought penetrated him, nearly leaving him dizzy.

The girl shined the dagger a bit with her palm, then placed the dull tip against his upper torso.

There laid his beating heart. He knew it was his heart. He felt the sharp fang already piercing him.

She gradually dug deeper. “Well?”

There was no answer. He couldn’t spit it out because he knew if he did, those words would be his last.

“They die Mr. Jack. Everything about them, everything they believed in, everything they saw and felt, everything they’ve seen and what may have seemed, would have been crushed completely.” She threw her hand back, then lunged it forward, nearly plunging the dagger into his bloody heart..

His eyes shut, and his arms flung up, hoping to shield himself from this dreadful nightmare. “Wait! Wait! Please w-what do you w-want? Anything… I-I can give it to you.” He stuttered.

Her hand ceased completely, and her eyes fell upon his. The girl held the dagger close, it nearly nearly kissed his shirt.

She smiled, but her eyes grew dark, “It’s not what you can give, it’s what you can do.”

Jack nodded his head quickly, as he pushed her hands away from his chest. “Anything. What do you want me to do?” He asked a bit relieved, yet still fearful.

“Listen.” She put the weapon away.. “Once upon a time, there was a window, and behind this window, laid a big bad wolf.”

“A dead wolf.” Jack added.

“Shut up!” The girl spat, then continued. “This wolf was once alive, until an old lady screamed for help.”

Jack smiled high and proud. “Then I came.”

The girl glared at him, his smile faded.

“Mr. Jack came and beheaded the beast, believing he ‘shot’ him dead bang.”

Jack examined her, befuddled. “But I did, the head is no longer attached.” He glanced back at the window. “You see? You see? He’s covered in his own blood, all his guts splayed across the floor!”

“Mr Jack believed he killed the beast, but what if the hero is no longer a hero, but a victim?” She whispered gazing down at her combat boots.

“What are you speaking of kid!” Jack glanced back at the window. “Look! No life is in the little fucker! There’s the proof!”

“What if the whole story changes, what if Mr. Jack is the big bad wolf, and the big bad wolf is Mr. jack?”

Jack chuckled nervously. “Kid you have quite an imagination, you know that? You should put that to good use and write books, instead of fooling with me!” Jack yelped.

“What if the end of the wolf was no end at all? What if he was already dead, before he was killed? Do you believe in possessions Mr. Jack?” The girl smirked.

Just before Jack would smack the girl across the face, he saw something rise from the corner of his eyes, something unspeakably horrid.

“Once there laid a big bad wolf.” The girl sneered.

Jack spun around gazing into the dirty window, there he met the body of a headless beast, a beast that seemed to be risen from Hell itself.

“Til he decided he lay no longer. The girl whispered.

Run Run as fast a you will,

but eventually he’ll find you

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:51 am
Kale wrote a review...

Hello again! I'm just going through the Green Room and it seems you have a few things in here. XD

If you have any questions or want any clarifications about anything I bring up, feel free to ask.

One of the first things I noticed was how rough this feels. There's a lot of telling and a lot of switching around, not just in how things are described, but also in who or what is doing the describing. For example:

This paragraph jumps around a lot, and it isn't clear who is narrating the story as a result. Is Jack the narrator? Is this a limited or omniscient third-person narrator? Where did that sudden bout of first-person come from?

This ambiguity in who is telling the story is present throughout the entire story, and it makes it difficult to follow. I'd recommend figuring out who is telling the story. Is it Jack? Or is it a third party that's relaying what Jack, and Jack only, is doing/thinking/feeling/etc.? Or is it a third party that knows everything and shows the readers everything important to the story, whether or not Jack knows it?

Figuring out who is narrating the story and then sticking with it will make your writing much clearer.

I thought she was behind him when he got up and turned around?

This is really confusing. Where are the characters in relation to each other? It might be a good idea to draw a little diagram of where the characters are in a scene so you don't forget when you're writing the scene out.

Just as Jack was about to leave, the girl snatched him by the nape, gripped him tightly, and forced his head onto the window.

What window? I thought they went tumbling down a hill just a moment ago.

This is really confusing.

Sometimes you’re the windshield, and sometimes you’re the bug.

There are windshields in this time period?

The glossy beak glimmered gloriously against the suns ray of light, it almost seemed self-absorbed in it’s confidence.

What beak? I thought there was a dagger?

He felt the sharp fang already piercing him.

But isn't it a dull dagger? Why is it suddenly sharp?

What does shooting have to do with beheading?

???

I am so lost.

So, there's a lot of confusing things going on, and as a result, this entire story is a giant tangle of confusion. I felt no horror or fear or any inkling of strangeness. The only feeling I got from this was a whole lot of confusion, which I'm pretty sure you were not aiming for.

When you're writing horror, the last thing you want to do is confuse your audience. The moment your audience becomes confused, any horror that had been built up is completely lost because your audience has been completely thrown out of the story.

I got thrown out of the story so many times, and the pieces I quoted are only the parts where I got thrown out because of details that didn't make sense. There were a lot of other places I got thrown out because of the lack of clarity in who is narrating the story.

I think what would really help you make this story clearer and easier to follow is if you used an outline next time you revised this. Basically, have a sentence or two for each major event in the story in order, and then include notes beneath them of important details and such. When you go to rewrite this, it will make it much easier to keep track of what is going on, when, and where, which will make it easier for you to spot the areas where these things don't match up with what you're envisioning.

As it stands, I'm not sure what was going on in this story. It was that confusing.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:54 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hello there!

Let's get technicalities out of the way~

sneering at it’s headless body.

Age old mistake. Should be its*

She was no woman, and there was no way in hell she was adorable, she was ancient people!

The emboldened, I personally feel, could be a new sentence. This entire line was funky, as it was an independent clause (the unbolded) and a dependent clause (the emboldened). I would break it into two sentences.

similar to a vultures nest.

Vulture's*

She was a ghastly beast who lurked this home.

Already you're making no sense. How is she lurking in her own house? In the beginning, you make it known that Jack is delivering meat (? or killing a threat?) and he's doing it specifically because, I assume, Amanda is paying him. So this sentence confuses the reader. Consider rewording.

"Hang it’s spine along your chandelier.”

So it's gonna swing from the chandelier?

>_> its*

"Then stuff the head, and hang it.” Jack mumbled,"

1. The comma in the dialogue isn't necessary.
2. You do need a comma at the end of it, though. Read why here.

Just let me be dammit!

Since that's internal thinking, italicize it, just to separate it from actual narration. Also, comma after "be".

"Is that so?.”

Unnecessary period. Remove.

... You just contradicted yourself. She can't sing silently, nor was she silent at all if Jack can hear her, and judging by his reaction, he did. So fix this.

Okay. There are more nitpicks, mostly to do with punctuation either missing when needed or present when not needed. Read this for help.

My overall thought is that your story idea was good, but could've been much better.

For one, descriptions. You had a lot of good descriptions, great imagery towards the middle and end. But you have a habit of repeating yourself with useless imagery details. Take this mysterious girl for example. You started off by stating how pale she was and then repeatedly reiterated that fact. Trust me... we get it. She's pale. Only state it once, then leave it be.

Second, I felt that the characters were executed poorly. Jack was portrayed as strong and buff and the almighty lumberjack, taking down a wolf, and then is bested by a girl? Which isn't bad, of course, but he simply gave in and accepted the fact that when she pulled out her dagger that she was gonna kill him. Um, not exactly. Why didn't he fight back? That made no sense and generally contrasted the flow you were going with.

Now the girl, who is... who, exactly? She had no purpose. I kept thinking she had some sort of connection with the wolf and was angry that Jack killed him, but that made no sense. So what was her connection to the wolf? It seemed she did know stuff would happen, as she was highly disturbing and foreshadowing (:P), but I didn't know what to think of her. I'm not asking for a segment on her declaring who she is and what she wanted to Jack (avoid info-dumps). I just wanted to know what her purpose was.

And Amanda? Where is she during all of this? And if she didn't want this wolf in the first place, why did Jack bring it to her? Confusion.

Overall, a good story, but it needs some clearing up. I do like the little twist on Red Riding Hood that you're going with, but it needs more than just action, action, action. Explanations are a must. :P Hope this helped.

~Iggy

Thank you for the feedback it really helped and I had no Idea that I used It's instead of its that was honestly a stupid mistake of mine I should know better XD, I tried to continue with the story of little red riding hood, but wanted to make it darker, so I just jumped into the story (what happened after the lumber jack killed the wolf?) it was a creative writing assignment it was pretty cool but hard to pick an already written story and continue off of it.... thanks again stay awesome and of course rock on!!! :D I need more foundation in this story... I'll get to it :D

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality