12+

A Realistic View on Life

by haven235

Goes with this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyfaphvqviw2d6l/rockproj...

Second period ends
And you make your way to the door
You're in
Such a hurry
Yet you still stop to look at me before you leave. 

I wave goodbye
Then return to my things 
And by the time I'm out
You're nowhere to be found. 

How long has it been,
Since the last time we were able to call ourselves
Friends?
Before reluctantly going our separate ways? 
And I know why you're like this
No matter how hard we try we will still be here. 

Burning, burning
This world'll keep on spinning
Yearning yearning
Even if these feelings 
Burning, burning
Won't be answered oh, I'm
Yearning, yearning for you! 

Tearing, tearing
This heart's in pieces
Bearing, bearing
And even you can't mend it
Tearing, tearing
But at least I can still find 
Solace within your smile.

And I'm glad that I can see it every once in a while.

This space between us 
I'd like it to be gone and for us to be like before
When fairy tales 
Were what shaped our worlds
Then again 
You really can't trust anyone anymore 
Even I 
Might be lying to you. 

But why not do something reckless for once 
Like how I'm gonna say something to you? 
Three words that are meaningless to the both of us along with a proposal to go somewhere?
Let's escape...
"Is this a joke?" 
You said to me incredulously
I knew it 
The both of us are broken beyond repair
I'm even beginning to imagine things 
I hear your voice say

"I thought you'd never ask."

Burning, burning
This can't be happening
Yearning, yearning
This isn't you
Burning, burning 
You threw yourself away
Guess I will do the same!

Tearing, tearing
I can see it now.
Bearing, bearing
That "smile" I used to love 
Tearing, tearing
Was only an expression of pain,
Oh, the pain!

Good thing I won't have to see it ever again...

SilloriaD wrote a review...

So I'm just going to get straight to the point, since I'm rather bad about going off on tangents.

There's too much repetition. Way, wayyyyyy too much repetition. The flow of the rhythm in my head really isn't working out well with the lyrics you have set up here. Unfortunately, I need to listen to he rhythm at home. I don't have the ability to from where I am now. but, for now, the rhythm in my head disagrees with you. The syllable count changes so often where you don't have repetition that it's making my head spin a bit.

But you can fix these things. I couldn't tell you exactly how. Try to have some normality with syllables and your rhythm without having more repetition? Actually, make sure to eliminate some of this god awful repetition. I apologize for calling it god awful. I'm probably fixating on it too much. But, I can't help myself. Once you have these couple of issues fixed, I'd like you to let me know. I really think you've got something good going here- now it's just time to think more about what works, and what has got to go.

haven235 says...

Thanks for the review! Hm. Seems that the repetition in this is polarizing. Interesting. Did you mean the repetition in the choruses, though? Weren't clear.

And for the rhythm, I wasn't trying to give it flow if it's just read, so I hope it works when it's with the music.

Thanks again!

EmeraldLinks wrote a review...

Hola Haven!

I first sang the song in my own melody/rhythm and then i noticed the one that you made, lol. This song sounds AMAZING with the melody. I like the mix of guitars and the digital noises, sounds really cool together. I like the story to the song, (At least I think I get the story 0-0) I only have 1 problem, the repeating of some lyrics, I dont feel that they need to be repeated as much as they where, the "Yearning, yearning" and the other lines which our bearing or burning. I just think that you might of overused those lyrics a bit. Other than that, I really like the song, I wish all the luck to you Haven, and i'm looking forward to seeing more from you!

+1 follower *Thumbs Up*
Rating: 9.5/10

theironnovelist wrote a review...

Ooh i really like that tagline at the end.

I haven't listened to the audio, so I'll just be reviewing the lyrics today.
So I just have one overall thing to say: lyrics are very different from general poetry. Most often they have a more casual language, and you seem to get this. However, I felt in a few places you were wrestling between a casual high-school crush and a...well, much more 'poetic' love story.
For example, your very first lines are "second period ends/ and you make your way to the door".
Quite casual.
But then in areas in the rest of the song you have lines like:
"Oh, the pain!" and "yearning, yearning"
These are less casual. I understand lots of songs have this kind of mixed language, more often than we might realize, but it's just kind of one of my issues I can't get over. With so many casual phrases and contractions, it's hard for me to hear a few lines later such passionate words as 'yearning'. Does that make sense?

I feel like I'm rambling. I really did like this. Better lyrics than most the crap that's on the radio these days, am I right?xD

You're quite the songwriter. Keep it up!

~iron.n
I revise not as a judge, but as a fellow writer eligible for judgment on the same level.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:21 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy heeere :3

So I'll attempt another review at your lyrics here. I've been doing more lyric and poetry reviewing in the past few days, so here's hoping that has helped me see things better in that spectrum. Onto the review!

I'll just head straight into the meat of this review.

So when I read this song, it almost feels like rambling. When I see or listen to songs, the lyrics have a structure - something almost like a shape which is bent and formed to the music. This seems like you're going in any direction you want, and not really having that concrete yet flexible structure to make the song. I'll show you what I mean.

And you make your way to the door

You're in

Such a hurry

One thing I'm not as sure about is the length of the piece. It seems rather long, and it almost seems like you stoop to rambling and saying the same thing over and over and over again. I learned something yesterday in a course (one I would suggest to anyone at Coursera) and now I see this in a little different light. So your piece doesn't seem to have what you might call a pattern. And it didn't build. My songwriting teacher compared it to three boxes, and he also compared it to the sound you get in the music when listening to the song. You have your first box - that's your message in your first verse. It's an introduction, getting you started in the song. But it's a small box, but you fill it with part of your message and idea for the song. The second part of the song has an even bigger box - and inside it, you continue the message and idea. And everything in the first box fits inside the second box. That's how the song grows, becomes larger and more as we progress along it. And then we get to a part called the bridge, where everything builds, builds, builds - finally crashing over into the third box, which is the climax of the song. In this part, what you say that you put into the third box has enough weight to out-weigh both what you said in the second box, and what you said in the first. A gradual build of idea, so to speak. I hope that makes sense. I'm basically just repeating what I learned yesterday in the course. I highly recommend it to anyone, and it's completely free. c: Most of his songs are silly he says (because he's fabricating the lines as he speaks. xd), and so they're quite humorous, ending up being about food in many cases. xD

I'm not noticing a structure in the lyrics as much, either. Now since I couldn't pair this with your melody accompaniment (didn't know where it fit in, like last time). Now perhaps not as much of a no-structure, but this is very very overfed - in my opinion. If this is my style and it's imposing on yours, then feel free to ignore me here. c: But when I read through this, it seems as though you have too many things going on. Too many little ideas scattered throughout the piece cluttered it up for me and made it difficult to concentrate. So what I would do is cut it all out for a short moment. Take the idea of each stanza you've written, and see how the stanza pulls that apart - if it sticks to the idea, if the stanza throws itself all over place, says too much (as opposed to too little. both can happen). So I'd say what you're putting across to the listener in the first stanza is: she's in a hurry, but still stops to look back. Okay, pretty simple concept to put across. In my opinion, having the second period ends pulls the song down and isn't a very good opening line, either. And it kind of limits those who can relate to those in school. It isn't a line that seizes the listener's attention much. Something about her being always in a hurry, and yet always looking back - I like that. Good opening stanza idea.

So if you like what I've presented to you in the above paragraphs, you can go about and do what I suggested. If you think it cuts into your style of writing songs (I'm basically just giving you my limited experience and knowledge in writing songs, which is very very limited as I'm new to it and lazy to boot. xD), then continue to go about your way of doing things. But if you think it's worth trying, go for it. c: Perhaps my rambling can be useful in a way. And I would recommend that online course to you. It's proven very helpful for me, and gives me quite a few ideas on what to do for my song-writing. c:

The repetition in the chorus? Wonderful. I loved it. It reminded me of one of my favorite songs (similar repetition), and brought a wonderful pace to the song. When I hummed it in my head, those lines were a bit faster than the others in the chorus - and the second building up from the first. I like the word choice in there, too. And even though I did think the message in the song was a bit hidden by the wordage and over-said idea and a bit rambling and unimportant information, I loved it. A very nice, yet sad story inside the lyrics. ;_; While I am not completely sure about it, the ending told me that the girl committed suicide (you threw yourself away), and then you continue onwards to say you'll do the same. o.o I feel odd saying it, but that is wonderful. xD

Like all pieces, this needs a bit of tweaking, but you have a solid start here. c:
~Darth Timmyjake

haven235 says...

Hm. I'll check out that course.

What do you consider as unnecessary information in this piece? To me, I think I'm lacking info, which might be why the message is muddled. Welp that's what happens when you try to write within the confines of a pre-thought-of melody.

TimmyJake says...

The message is muddled because you aren't exact and lack the information you need. Many of your lines are catchy and make me go yes yes yes, but some of them need a bit of tweaking, in my opinion.

You're welcome! Anytime. :3

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 am
Augustus wrote a review...

Looks like you are really serious about writing the lyrics!
that was quite good but it looks like somewhat overfed.
OK you know what I mean.
So keep writing and Best of luck!

Augustus

haven235 says...

Yeah I'm quite determined to get it done, which is why the second half is like. So it's too much after all? Thanks for letting me know. Also thanks for reading.

Augustus says...

your welcome!

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon