Deciding to Die

by guineapiggirl

Dying, Agatte the Aggressive mused, twirling her axe between her fingers, is a difficult act to time.

On the one hand, it would be eternally disappointing to join the Feast of the Fallen Warriors only to discover that, had she waited a few more days, months or years, she could have died single-handedly facing an entire army of invading ogres, or on a perilous quest to rid the Kingdom of some cursed pestilence.

Bjeorvic the Brawny, one of Agatte’s numerous late friends, had made such a blunder. He had died heroically, saving his one true love from a vicious bear with two heads – or had it been his two true loves from just the one bear? Agatte couldn't remember, and that was the point: nor could anyone else.

The details of Bjeorvic's death had been forgotten when, a week later, a whole pack of the bear-beasts came down from the mountain and decimated the valley he had once protected. Almost all of the valley-dwellers were killed. They had been abandoned by their hero, and every act of bravery that Bjeorvic had committed during life was overshadowed in the minds of the survivors by his untimely death. Although Bjeorvic still lingered in living memory, he had already been forgotten by the bards and minstrels.

Agatte was terrified of being forgotten.

However, greater still than that fear was another – one that had almost come to pass for Agatte's childhood hero, Dakrot the Deadly. He was named deadly for a reason: whoever the foe, however great their strength and powers, after a fight with Dakrot, he would be unscathed and they would be dead.

Invincible and proud of it, Dakrot the Deadly left it too long. He outlived every other hero of his generation; many of them died by his hands. With no worthy opponents left, he faced the terrifying prospect of dying of old age and sickness, in comfort and surrounded by loved ones. Desperate to avoid this fate, he settled for being killed in an epic battle... with a grunthog who was devouring the local farmers' crops. The songs were almost mocking, making less of his arch-nemesis than of his arthritis.

Agatte shuddered at the thought of his gory, glory-less end, and her resolve strengthened. One couldn't live forever, and if death didn't come today it would come soon enough, or else to her deathbed. She looked down from her perch in the cliffs at the children she would die for. They were a pathetic lot, sickly and malnourished from months of their family flocks being sent down as appeasement. It had failed. Now the parents had done the unthinkable: tying their children to stakes and leaving them as a sacrifice; one last desperate attempt to sate an insatiable greed and save themselves.

For slithering towards the children was a dragon.

Agatte could see its fire-glands expanding in its throat – any second now, flames would stream from its jaws and burn the children until they were nothing but char for it to eat. She knew that if she acted fast, strung her bow and aimed and fired a decent shot within the next few moments, she could take out the fire-glands. Then the fire would drain out of the beast along with its life. She would live, the children would live. But where was the fun- where was the glory- in that?

Shooting an opponent to kill as one hid in the shadows was far from honourable. Agatte pictured the fight as it should play out: just as the dragon opened its maw, she would charge from behind the boulder, brandishing her axe, and scream some fitting last battle cry. The creature would turn, furious and confused. For a second, it would stand before her, jaws wide and throat exquisitely vulnerable. Then it would loose its flames just as she threw her axe and the weapons would fly through the air, arcing with perfect symmetry, before each struck its target and sent them to the ground. She would be a pile of ashes; the dragon a ruined heap of blood and scales; a whole generation of heroes would be inspired.

The monster's lungs swelled. With one last swing of her axe, Agatte leapt to her feet.

"Tonight, wyrm, I shall feast upon your remains in the halls of the gods and heroes!"

Theodorable wrote a review...

Hello! Sorry it's taken me so long to review this, but here I am!
First, I want to say that this is very good. I can see how everyone is saying that it seems like a small part of a shorter story, though. I do agree that it is lacking in setting, but I will be looking at other aspects.
I like your character, but you don't give us much about her. There's no description of her, so I'm not able to really picture her.
One nitpick I have is about the dragon. You say:

The later you call it a wyrm. I know they're similar, but dragons normally have legs. At least, the ones I have seen do. It sounds like you're describing a serpent of some sort that breathes fire. Maybe make it more definite in whether it is a dragon or wyrm.
Either way, I really liked how your character is trying to decide how to die. It's something that a lot of people never considered. I know I always yell at a story where the hero sacrifices their self when it was not necessary. Now I have to wonder if they made their decisions based on the fact of how they wanted to be remembered.
That is all I have to say. If you end up making another story like this please let me know.

Thank you for the positive review! I've since edited this a bit based on what other people have said :) I'm going to wait for further feedback from my English teacher and then probably do another revised version. Thanks again.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:21 pm
Ego says...

Fun microcosm of an obviously larger world. I appreciate the alliteration of the names, but I feel like it actually distracted from the tale a bit.

I like that the hero entrusted to protect this village is more concerned with earning glory than ensuring that their village is protected. People are selfish, and even the most heroic of heroes have ulterior motives.

Really great to see a hero that's not a paragon of all that's good.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:53 am
chiaralilly says...

Very interesting story. Made me want to carry on reading. I hope for more of these stories!

Thank you, that's very kind :) I'll let you know when I upload more stuff.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:19 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Hey there, as requested. Apologies for this late review, I've been drowning in school work of late and haven't had a chance to review. Nonetheless, I'm here. Because you've asked specific opinion on your setting, I'm going to focus on that. This won't be a very long review. Before I start, I want to say that the message here is brilliant and I love it. Though that being said, I think your story is too concentrated on the message and didn't have enough room to flesh it out more. I think one of your past reviewers had brought up this point, that this was too short and the pace was a little too fast. There were a lot of details in here that could have been developed to make this a better story.

Settings:

Let's kick off with your start, there really isn't any mention of the setting here or any reference to the background of the story apart from the heroes and tales. The whole story, allow me to be blunt, it's the mix of an info dump on past history and an interior monologue in which the character discusses her thoughts about death.

No details on who she is.

Where she is.

Why she is here.

And to sum it, lack of context. There is no background, so we as readers can't fully relate to her. She's just a character who's been put on the limelight but we don't get the 'why's. Which is largely essential to develop a characters.

Your opening line, is abrupt. Why is she twirling her axe? Where is she right now? Under what circumstances is she here? Because this is a short story (it is, yes?), you have no room for further explanations but must explain everything in precision. Provide us with some descriptions as to where is she and her current emotion state.

I've also noticed that you've written your story out in a very literal tone, what I call the 'cardboard tone'. It's basically when you tell the readers absolutely everything with close to zero description and variation in your syntax. Look at the two tales in example, yes, they've both been used to illustrate a point, they're a metaphor for it. Though your metaphor has the subtlety of a train wreck, it's so glaring obvious that it's not even a metaphor anymore. The tale itself is relevant but it's written out purely for the sake of that message and adds no emotion to the character. Instead of just info-dumping the two tales and adding her feelings at the end, have you thought about these tales playing through her head as she slays the dragon? There is an awful lot of telling here and not showing, I can't feel her terror because there's only one line and you haven't described it enough. There is an article here that tells you how to make your description more powerful, and another one to show how to use descriptions to add feelings..

Another note before I wrap it up, I noticed that most your sentences are medium-long length sentences with little variation in theme. Overtime, it creates a very monotonous pattern that makes your story sound like nutrition information on a cereal packet. Aim to vary your sentence openings and lengths, if you have suspension building it, a common convention is to shorten the sentences.
With all being said, I really appreciate stories like this, stories with a moral and a twist. You've got a bright idea here, I look forward to seeing more of your work. Hope I 've helped in some ways.
-Flite

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked the story's message :) A lot for me to look at there and potentially to take into my writing in the future as well. A really good review... I will read this all over many times and work with it.

Hattable wrote a review...

I'm new to YWS and this is the first thing that I've found interesting enough to read. Honestly I didn't expect to like it, because of how I judge stories by their titles, but it was really good. You should write more about this world, and maybe a short history about it like the Silmarillion (but not quite as long).
Like haywireimagination said, this brings to mind Norse aspects. Might I suggest expanding this world on Norse mythology and culture, if you haven't thought about it?

I can't wait to see this world grow more and more, if you plan to write about it again. Great story!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And welcome, welcome, welcome to YWS! Yeah, the title's a bit dark, isn't it? XD When I first jotted this story it was more about death and struggling with death and stuff and it came from a place where I was thinking a lot about those issues, but since then it's developed into something hopefully more lighthearted and amusing. The world's pretty developed (this is part of one of my wider fantasy worlds) and the Dwarvern culture (Agatte's) certainly takes influence from the Norse. I'll let you know when I upload more stuff about Agatte or set in her world!

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:05 am
haywireimagination wrote a review...

This, for some reason, reminds me of Norse culture. Valkyries would take the best of fallen warriors and have them become the army of their afterlife. I guess if you liked to fight, you had that to look forward to, huh?

Now, with your story. I loved it, personally. If you told me this was an excerpt from a book, maybe the first chapter, with the rest being about her afterlife or something, i'd beg you to tell me the title.

I love Agatte's character. She's headstrong, and wants to be a legend after her death. You can tell a lot about her character. She sounds like she cares about her own after-story more than the children. She does sound a little heartless when she thinks "She looked down from her perch in the cliffs at the children she would die for. They were a pathetic lot, sickly and malnourished from months of their family flocks being sent down as appeasement." It sounds like she honestly doesn't care about what she's doing as long as she gets benefits. I don't know if that's what you're going for, but it sounds like it to me. I just have one little nitpicky thing. She's on a cliff. She's looking down at this scene from the valley below. How does she jump off of the cliff without dying? That's all. Thank you for treating me to this! Bye!

I love Agatte too and I'm really glad you do! She's meant to be kind of heartless and have confused motives, but a basic will to do good, even if it gets buried beneath all the other warrior stuff. I'm thinking of expanding on her story and writing more about the warriors in this (dwarvern, by the way!) culture. It's quite Norse inspired. And thank you for pointing out that logical mistake with the cliff and the leaping down! I'll fix that :) Thank you for your review :D

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 am
TigersMoon wrote a review...

Hi Giuneapig, TigersMoon here for a review.

I like the over arching theme of when and how to die. From just that we get to know a lot about Agatte. How she wants to die with glory and how she is afraid of being forgotten. I also love how she planned out her attack to make sure both her and the dragon died.

Great job on throwing in a little "lingo" (I don't know what word to use ;)) with "Feast of the Fallen Warriors." It obvisously is part of the belief and culture of Agatte's world, but we still know what it is based on "fallen"- it's the afterlife. Wonderful job.

"But where was the fun- where was the glory- in that?" I simply adore how you can fit so much characterization into one short piece. From just this the reader can tell Agatte is someone who will take risks to get a little excitement in the plan.

I couldn't find anything wrong with it, but seeing as how your focus on this was inter thought (and you did it so excellently) that's you strong suite, so you might want to try a more action based short story to exercise that part of writing as well. Or maybe you're good at both!

-TigersMoon

Thanks a lot for your lovely review! I'm glad you managed to get a real sense of Agatte from this. I love her as a character... She feels really real to me. I'm gonna use this as part of my English coursework and my teacher told me to throw in more "lingo" (setting, he called it) but I'm struggling to do that without it sounding forced and like telling not showing... Thanks again for your kind comments :)

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:26 pm
Elinor wrote a review...

Hi Guinea,

I really like this. The message is powerful one and I think you did a good of portraying it in a resonating way. It's something that can be applied to a wide variety of of situations and characters, since the questions that you raise here exist on a deep philosophical level. I do really like the fantasy element to this; it gives the story an epic and unique sort of flare. As far as the story itself goes, you have a really nice command of prose; it was certainly an easily but also a vivid read.

I only wished there was more! This doesn't necessarily feel complete to me, but more a smaller piece of a much larger story. If this truly just an excerpt, please, link to me to wherever I can read more! However, if this is meant to be a complete story, or even just stand on its own, there's more I want to see. While I do get a sense of your main character's motivation, I want to know more about what makes her who she is and what's led her to this most intense of moments in her life. I like that she thinks of her fallen friends, too, but maybe we can learn a bit more about what makes them so special to her. And beyond that, I want to know more about the world and why the monster is so dangerous. Do that, and I'll be even more emotionally invested in your story than I already am.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the really kind comments! I'm glad you liked it :) I wrote it while thinking a lot about all these death-related questions and so I think I personally used the fantasy genre to abstract myself from it a bit, but if it makes it more universal as well then that's just great! So far, this is it. I have these notes to do with expanding it... in my head she has a fiancee, another warrior, and there are all sorts of other quests she's been on. Sadly I'm using this for my English Creative Writing Coursework so I don't have enough words to play around with to use it for that but I'll certainly work more with the character soon!

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway