z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A New Year's Contradiction

by Mea


Many people stay up late
on New Year’s Eve,
throwing huge parties
and getting drunk
with friends.
Waiting for that special moment
when the future arrives.

Thoughts clouded
from alcohol and sleep deprivation,
they stare at the clock,
counting down the seconds
to a new start.
Hoping, dreaming 
of a better year to come.

They shout each remaining second
grinning with excitement, until,
at last, the final moment slips away,
the ball drops, and the New Year has come.
They look around.
Nothing has changed.
It is still dark outside.

I don’t want that.

I would much rather stay at home,
go to bed early,
wake up at the crack of dawn,
and watch the sunrise
in all its glorious majesty.
And let the light of a new year tell me
My chance to change the world has come.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:42 am
Corncob wrote a review...



Wow, this is really powerful yet simple!
My favorite lines are:

They look around.
Nothing has changed.
It is still dark outside.


Especially that last line. It really paints a picture and brings me back to myself doing the same thing on New Year's Eve. This poem also puts New Year's Eve in a new light (no pun intended). Most people especially like the evening because of the reasons you described: partying, drinking, partying some more, etc. This poem makes those people seem ignorant, almost, which I like (although I do the same thing that you described and still enjoy it^^)
I don't have much to say criticism-wise as Widdershins pretty much summed it up for me. Something in this poem is just not there, and perhaps if you tried putting in more emotion, it would be. I also suggest describing the sunset more, and how its light effects you through those descriptions.
and watch the sunrise
in all its glorious majesty.
Doesn't do that.
Overall rating: 7/10
Keep writing!
+1




User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 672
Reviews: 39

Donate
Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 am
Inspiredravens says...



Oh my gosh- I love this!!!




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 am
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Yo.
Here to cash in on that review. I tend to be more honest/harsh when I give reviews from my WRFF thread, so take this with a pinch of salt.
Normally, if I had been perusing through the poetry and read this one, I would have left without a review. This is pretty good (especially for your first poem in years! Don't forget that I'm reviewing this as if you had been writing poems from out of the womb)-- nothing glares out as "Wrong"-- but it's rather forgettable. And now that I think about it, that glares a bit.

Your word choice lacks emotion. It reads almost how a robot might write it if it was asked to write about the same subject. I'm not quite sure where I'm getting that from, but I'm feeling this lack of emotion within the first two lines. Maybe it's the way you started out with "many people" and I just felt blah. You have to hook in the reader. I was very under-hooked (if that's a term I can use here) through this entire poem. I had no investment in what you would say next.
The sad thing about this one point of critique is that I have no idea what to tell you to do to fix this. You need to use more descriptive words. I'm looking through this, and the only really interesting word you have in here is "deprivation." But even that word did not resonate-- it was used in the expected way.
Someone who has really good word choice in her poems is Pompadour. Check out her poetry, and see how much meaning and emotion she can squeeze into a single line-- nay, a single word!

Also, this strikes me as a rather preachy poem. You spend the first three stanzas pretty much sticking up your nose at those who stay up late. That's not a good way to gain an audience.You're right, most people do do that. So, it stands to reason that most people who read this poem do that as well, and probably enjoy that tradition. You won't find a very sympathetic audience at the end of this. (What you did is all fine and dandy to have as a poem for yourself, and to show to similarly-minded people, but when addressing an audience of the entire world? You might want to find a way to show your point without putting down others. And I know you weren't really putting down others, and you weren't intending to, but that's the way it reads. "People do this thing, but I don't like that because I do it better." That's how it reads.)
Again, I'm not sure how exactly to tell you to fix this. Maybe my comments will somehow inspire you to change it around.

I like the sentiment that this has, as well as its simplicity. I just found its exicution to be a little lacking. With work, you can make it wonderful!
I definitely see poetic potential in you! Keep it up! Only with practice can you get better (and reading a lot of other poetry to see what works and what doesn't. That's how I learned most).

I hope this helped!
~fortis




Mea says...


Thank you! This has got me thinking. I have no idea how to fix it either. I guess I'll just play around with it until I figure something out. :D



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 576
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:39 pm
bellathebookworm wrote a review...



Wow, really interesting. This poem really made me think more carefully about New Year's. Why do we stay up so late just to watch something shiny fall? I love the interesting way you described the sunrise and how that signifies more to you than the actual change on the clock. I don't know if you showed the irony between getting drunk and the other negative things people do on New Year's Eve and hoping for a better future, but I like it.

If you were wanting criticism, I'm grasping at straws to come up with anything! The only thing I can suggest is mentioning something about New Year's resolutions and how often we break them because that seems like it would fit with the theme. Great work!




Mea says...


Thanks for the review! :D



ClippedWings says...


You're welcome. Thanks for your review of mine!



ClippedWings says...


Sorry, wrong person!



Mea says...


I did review one of yours, though ;)



ClippedWings says...


Oh yeah... *Facepalm*



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 3665
Reviews: 79

Donate
Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:13 am
XPresidentTurtlesX wrote a review...



How has this not received more views? This is so beautiful and so true! I love the idea of watching the sunrise, and I like how you made the celebrations seem dull in boring. When you think about it, it's really true-we sit around, waiting, and then it happens. The last second runs out. And we all cheer, but then that moment is over. Nothing is different, rather than the date and the year. But we don't wake up in the morning screaming and cheering because it's a new day, because that would mean everyone would be way too happy. This really got me thinking, and I've never thought of it like that. Maybe New Years isn't as joyous, after all.
~Prez. T




Mea says...


Thank you!



User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 342
Reviews: 89

Donate
Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:35 pm
DeepCrystal wrote a review...



Wow, just wow. This is my first review I've made in a long while and I must say, I've stumbled on a rather good poem. It is very true, we spend so much time bathing in anticipatory pleasure of the new year to come as we wait for 12:00 a.m. on January 1st and when it happens, all that anticipation is goes away as quickly as it came. I agree, it is more exciting watching the sun rise in the morning on the dawn of a new day. The world is not a new place, it is the same as it was twelve hours ago. The only difference is what the calendar says. Sure, there are goals that I want to try and accomplish, but what about all the in-betweens? What do you do while you hope that you reach your goals? That is a question we all must answer. In terms of critique, I am not a big stickler for rhyming words in a poem, but I do expect to see some sort of rhythm. Rhythm can be found in, perhaps, a syllable pattern? Perhaps create a type pattern in the number of syllables for each line of each stanza? Or if you do want to dabble with rhyming words, you could experiment with slant rhythm. Just a few suggestions but that doesn't mean that you have to follow my advice. Anyhow, great poem!




Mea says...


Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!




GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour