z

Young Writers Society


12+

Man O Man (Feel the Surge)

by CowLogic


the Lamposts speak to me in waves of light

oh how They HEAT my corrupted blood

that trickles through my veins,

Like a runaway train and there you go cause CLI-

CHES, are all I do now, thanks to the MAN

thanks, CHER, sorry, CHE

(all I ever wanted was for you to respect me, Che)

I'm a poet and a live wire

stringing together this park bench and the afterlife, my wife and kids at home, probably feeding the dog, while I play this worthless cog in the cracked streets of the big Apple, Iphone and phallus in hand simultaneously (oh how does it all fit, internet and all), wires plugged in sockets both, one of electricity and one of authority

wires of light drifting down

from the Lamposts


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:38 pm
AlyssaB506 wrote a review...



I have to agree with everyone else, I am also a little lost. You should not worry about that to much. There are just a few minor errors too fix. However, I am not entirely sure this is a poem.

The formatting is a little off.

Something that would probably help your poem is trying to avoid caps.

In addition, you could be more descriptive towards the concept of the poem.

These are just a few things I noticed while reading your poem. I hope my review helped you at least a little. Remember to keep writing!




CowLogic says...


Thanks pal!



User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:08 am
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Yo cog!
I can't pretend that I even quarter-ways understand this story, but I've gotta save you from the wretched clutches of the green room.
So, what I gather from this poem is that the narrator is sick of society, with its iPhones and electronics and bad music. If I'm not mistaken you seem to be lamenting how men are expected to go out and work for the daily grind (like a cog) while wives and kis stay home and have fun. Also, you seem to touch on dual standards.
You use diction quite effectively, and, despite you saying that Cliches are all you do, this was rather uncliched, so props for that.
I'm not understanding why you're doing what you're doing with the all-caps. It kind of works though, I think.
I'd complain about your dividing of the word "cliches" into two, but I think that adds to the social commentary, like you're talking about cliches in poetry itself.
I really am struggling to critique this, because I'm not quite sure what's going on most of the time.
One tiny thing that bothers me is "they heat MY corrupted blood" and "trickles through MY veins." I suggest that you change the first my to "the."
I'd like to hear another reference to "the man," because that seems to be what the background theme is.
I like the return to the lamp post.
Bleh I can't think of anything else to say.
I hope this helped.
~fortissimo




CowLogic says...


Fortissimo <3 I'm sorry that you had to see the word "phallus."



Rook says...


I'm even more sorry I had to google it.



CowLogic says...


Just why



User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:48 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Oh, wow, Cow, this is quite a... thing, isn't it?

To be honest, I don't know whether I like the actual poem itself or not, but I did chuckle at it several times. Maybe I wasn't supposed to? I don't know. The reason I don't know if I liked it is because I don't know how I was supposed to react to it. Is it satire? Is it supposed to be humorous? Serious? At times it felt like a bit of each.

Perhaps this is supposed to convey more of a feeling, of staring at a lamppost and feeling all the humor and sadness and nothingness that comes with the unique loneliness of sitting on a park bench at night.

Or maybe I'm looking too deeply into it.

Well, get used to it, because I'm not going to review this so much as try to stumble through the symbols and see if I got them right. (I hope you tell me if I'm picking up what you're putting down. As I said earlier, I have no idea.)

First image: The Lamposts, spelled with one p (on purpose?) that commune with the narrator in light. The Lamposts are connected with nothing, until we come to the very long, stream of consciousness line in the middle of the poem. A lamppost (two p's) would not be out of place in a park, and the narrator mentions sitting on a park bench, so perhaps it gives some semblance of setting. Also it may serve as a deity in this poem, an omniscient force that watches over all, that makes Narrator angry because Narrator is stuck on this park bench, staring at a phone, ignorant of the world. And the waves of light, like a microwave, cause the narrator's anger.

Narrator's blood is corrupted. By what? Technology? The SOC line (stream of consciousness, SOC from here out) mentions the phone again, and loneliness-- perhaps the two ideas in this poem are one, or this is the connection being drawn?

The next few lines are fairly self explanitory-- Narrator is upset that the MAN (tech?) is stealing his originality and his-- what is the opposite of loneliness-- togetherness? Love the pop culture references by the way. And the line to Che is priceless.

I'm a poet and a live wire
This line stands out in defiance, but perhaps it could stand out more? You use caps to emphasize things-- maybe use something else to emphasize this? The last stand against the man-- a poet using a cliche to describe itself-- a failing stand up to the man-- at least emphasize poet, yeah?

Here comes the doozy. Narrator connects the park bench with the afterlife. Perhaps loneliness is death? Depending on what the park bench symbolizes or does not. The rhyme here seems unneeded. I love the bit about the iphone and the phallus, meaning (perhaps) that technology stands not only for loneliness but a boost to our egos (stroking an ego... the other thing, you know...). The parenthetical line reads as the narrator bragging about the size of his phallus, however, perhaps something about how the internet again makes us feel small and lonely. And we come full circle to the authority of the Lampost as god, though I'm not sure again what the Lampost stands for.

Again, I have no clue if I'm correct in any of this, but it was fun to try to unravel this. :) Hope this is useful to you, even though it wasn't exactly a review! Happy poeting!




CowLogic says...


Thanks!




cron
okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues