12+

The Tale of a Charmander (A Pokemon Story) Chapter 6; Doubts

by Charizard821

When Sapphire returned to the castle, Char was already in his room, sound asleep. The last thing Sapphire wanted to do was wake him, so she decided she would grab some berries from the kitchen and go to bed herself. That was, until the King sent one of his caretakers to escort her to his Throne Room.

Once the big, creaky door had been closed and it was just Sapphire and her father, the interrogation commenced.

"I want to know everything that happened today, starting from the moment you left the castle, all the way up to now." the King demanded.

"Okay, okay!" Sapphire replied, raising her paws in surrender. "First, I showed Char the Town Square. Then, we went to the Meadow and played a fun game of tag. Afterwards, we visited the Beach, where I went swimming and Char laid on the sand. We also met up with Will and Blaze. Then, Char showed up at the bonfire and chatted with the other Pokémon! See? Nothing happened!"

"You didn't show him anything important, did you?"

"No. We did everything I told you and that's it."

"You didn't say anything about why the kingdom is here, right?"

"Um, would it be bad if I did?"

"Yes! Extremely bad!" the King fumed, "He's still an outsider! At this point, we don't know anything about him or where he's from! Or at least, I don't." he gave Sapphire a skeptical look.

"Dad, I know as much about Char as you do. We didn't really talk about him much today."

"Mm." said the King, pondering, "You said he attended the bonfire, correct?"

"Yes, why?"

"What kind of story did he share? Anything that could hint about exactly who he, who he may be associated with or what he was doing out in that storm?"

Sapphire hesitated before answering, and when she did, she didn't look at her father.

"No, he told one of those common tales about Lugia."

"So you know nothing?"

"Yes! Why can't you just believe me and accept that maybe Char isn't a bad Pokémon!"

"Watch your tone, Princess." warned the King.

Finished with the conversation, Sapphire turned on her heel to leave.

"Sapphire," the King called as Sapphire approached the door.

She didn't answer, nor did she turn to look at him, but she did stop walking to hear what he had to say.

"It's not that I don't trust you, I'm simply being cautious."

"He's not a bad guy, dad. Sooner or later, you'll find you have nothing to worry about."

At that, Sapphire exited the room.

As soon as the door had closed behind her, she sank to the floor. Sitting against the door, Sapphire drew her knees close to her head. It was difficult considering her bulky shell. She buried her face in her legs and thought only of Char.

When I said he wasn't a bad guy, I felt like throwing up. He's such a nice Pokémon, but that bonfire story was so... sudden. So... dark. And so... precise. Char sounded like he knew what he was talking about. More than he should have. He said while travelling he'd heard many stories about Emburn, but that idea doesn't sound right for some reason. I'm probably being stupid! Why can't I just believe Char like everyone else!

---

Back in the Throne Room, King Blastoise was already questioning Wing and Snap on the day's events. They seemed to know about as much as Sapphire. They had simply observed the two Pokémon, but never heard their speech. That was, until the bonfire.

"He told a really odd story, my lord." said Wing, glancing at Snap.

"What kind of story?" asked the King. Could his daughter have kept information from him?

"Well, it was more of a correction than a story." added Snap.

"Well, stop beating around the bush and get on with it! What kind of story?"

"Well," began Wing, "a Pokémon by the name of Charge who visits the Bonfire regularly had told a story of the infamous criminal Emburn. You know, the Charmander that stole into stores and supermarkets in the dead of night and cleared out the whole premises before anyone knew he was there?"

The King hadn't the foggiest idea of who Emburn was, but he could feel this story getting dark, fast.

"Anyways," continued Wing, "When Charge finished the story, that Char guy told him it was all wrong, and then re-told the story in his own way."

"By comparison to Char's story, Charge's sounded like a Magikarp trying to convince others of it's true power." Snap blurted out. "It just didn't sound real at all!"

"Snap, that's rude and racist! You know there are plenty of Magikarp in the Kingdom of Peace!" Wing chastised.

"Sorry."

"So, you're saying that Char is very knowledgeable about this Emburn fellow?" asked the King, ignoring Snap's outburst.

"That's the way it sounded, my King." said Wing.

Perhaps there's more to this than meets the eye.

"Right. You two, continue to watch Char. I want an even more detailed report tomorrow. Also, tell the Gallade in the Library to send me all the books he has on Emburn. I want to know exactly who he was and what he did."

"Understood." they replied in unison. They then scurried out the main door, past Sapphire who was still deep in thought, and off to the library.

King Blastoise was beginning to lose patience with himself.

You're a fool. The Charmander was shy upon arrival, but that's no reason to doubt Sapphire. Has she ever given you reason to distrust her? Of course not! Then why can't you just realize the mistake you've made and welcome him to our kingdom?

The answer was simple. As hard as the King tried to believe his daughter and Sapphire attempted to trust her own judgment, there was still that everlasting doubt. Who was Char?

SuperGamer991 wrote a review...

@Charizard821 you can finally stop pestering me because I have read this chapter. Personally I liked it but I feel like it was one of those boring chapters at the starting of books which is completely fine. I just feel that you could have made it more interesting. I am being very critical and harsh but I am trying this as a way to review instead of my nicer reviews I have done on this series before. I thought from the ending of the last chapter it would have been Char and the mysterious pokemon talking and not Sapphire and King Blastoise (Which I believe should have an actual name but whatever) talking about how the day with Char went. It is a good thing that King Blastoise wants to believe Sapphire and he is doing some research on Emburn. I do like that you aren't just having the story follow Char but you are adding Sapphire and her life, also the relationship between Sapphire and her Dad into the story. I believe that adding in those details can really inprove this fanfic in a whole, you just have to make sure you don't mess it up but knowing you i know for a fact that you wont mess this great fanfic up. Continue writing these great chapters of A Tale Of A Charmander.

Charizard821 says...

Oh, this was more so of a back-to-the-swing-of-things chapter. Nothing special in this one. Chapter 8, however, I KNOW you'll like.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:30 am
Ventomology wrote a review...

I'm back! Finally! I am so sorry for not getting around to this until now. (My school day is over ten hours long, so... Ugh.)

Anyways, moving onto the review.

I know Hunter commended you for Sapphire's recollection of the day, but while the grammar is completely correct, there is something that is off. The paragraph is too structured, and while I do not object to the prepositions, they sound premeditated. Adding adjectives before the noun they describe, rather than adding it in afterwards as a separate clause, is also a sign of prior planning. (However, if Sapphire had been thinking about what her father might ask, then I wouldn't complain about this.)

Also, I think you're missing out on a good place for drama. This scene where King Blastoise interrogates Wing and Snap is missing some heavy action and emotion. While punctuation seems to be providing the reader with just enough emotion, it feels that there isn't enough. King Blastoise is either confused, or angry, or both in this scene, but we are never given much hint as to which, either straight out or through described facial expression or action. The same goes for Wing and Snap. Just because we don't have insight on exactly what a character is thinking, doesn't mean their body language can't tell us. (I think some flinching and eyebrow-raising are in order.)

Continuing with the good parts: I do appreciate this plot. It reminds me a little of a novel I read where, for most of the book, the narrating character never outright revealed his royal backstory, even in his private thoughts. It's nice seeing a similar trick deployed with Char.

I am also glad that you switch perspectives a bit. It certainly adds to the mystery. Given the circumstances, I think you could have done the whole chapter in third-person objective, but this is nice too.

Good job! If you don't mind, could you let me know when you update?
-Buggie

Charizard821 says...

I'm sorry, what do you mean by update?

Ventomology says...

(When you post the next chapter. I just call it updating for some reason... I wonder where I got the term.)

Charizard821 says...

Haha, as do I. I suppose I'll give shout outs to you and Hunter on my wall when the next chapter is out. Also, are you waiting for Hunter to post before you do? Because I'm not sure when I'm supposed to post. And really? TEN hours?! My school day is only six and with a one hour lunch!

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Salutations.

This is a rather short chapter, in comparison with your previous ones. To be honest, it seems more like the end of a chapter, rather than a chapter on its own. You know, like where you mostly focus on a single protagonist, but then you switch to another character close to the end of the chapter because you want to achieve dramatic effect – like the plot twist at the end of your previous chapter!

Anyway, it is clear you cannot make this chapter an extension of the previous one, since that would ruin everything, but you would do well to keep this in mind when writing future chapters.

My Legend:
Red – correction
Orange – suggestion
Green – addition
Blue – removal

When Sapphire returned to the castle, Char was already in his room, sound asleep. The last thing she wanted to do was wake him, so she decided she would grab some berries from the kitchen and go to bed herself.

I like these two sentences. They quickly establish the setting and atmosphere for the whole chapter, and they are effective in their simplicity. However, repeating Sapphire’s name in consecutive sentences is a bad idea. The only reason you should ever repeat something is for emphasis, and since that is not the case here, I suggest replacing her name with a personal pronoun.

“I want to know everything that happened today, starting from the moment you left the castle, all the way up to now,” the King demanded.

“If the dialogue is done, then the full stop has won;
If it’s followed by “said,” there’s a comma instead.”
Remember this mnemonic, and you’ll never have a problem with full stops and commas at the end of your dialogue again, provided you remember “said” represents all of its synonyms as well. (If you prefer “period” over “full stop,” feel free to exchange the two.)

“Okay, okay!” Sapphire replied, raising her paws in surrender. “First, I showed Char the Town Square. Then, we went to the Meadow and played a fun game of tag. Afterwards, we visited the Beach, where I went swimming and Char laid on the sand. We also met up with Will and Blaze. Then, Char showed up at the bonfire and chatted with the other Pokémon! See? Nothing happened!”

Marvellous use of the comma! I’m so proud. :D

“Or at least, I don’t.” He gave Sapphire a sceptical look.

You finally got the full stop right, but then you forget to capitalise the “he”? And let’s rather not mention spelling “sceptical” with a “k”…

“Anything that could hint about exactly who he is, who he may be associated with or what he was doing out in that storm?”

You left out the “is” or “may be” because you had wanted to put it at the end of the sentence – I understand. But if you end up not writing it at all, it’s just as bad as redundant repetition.

Sitting against the door, Sapphire drew her knees close to her head, which was difficult, considering her bulky shell.

Combining the two sentences makes the text read better.

I'm probably just being stupid.

There’s no need for an exclamation mark – a simple full stop will suffice.

“Well, it was more of a correction than a story,” added Snap.

“Well, stop beating around the bush and get on with it! What kind of story?”

“Well,” began Wing, “a Pokémon by the name of Charge who visits the Bonfire regularly had told a story of the infamous criminal Emburn.”

Read the first word of each sentence and you’ll realise why I quoted this.

The King hadn’t the foggiest idea of who Emburn was, but he could feel this story getting dark, fast.

You seem to like saying somebody doesn’t have “the foggiest idea.” I’m not judging you or saying you should stop, it’s merely an interesting observation. However, I would advise either placing an “and” before “fast,” or changing it to a dash or semi-colon.

In comparison with Char’s story, Charge’s sounded like a Magikarp trying to convince others of its true power,” Snap blurted out.

Incorrect prepositions, a malapropism, and the comma-full stop-dilemma. Goodness.

Also, tell the Gallade in the Library to send me all the books he has on Emburn.

You chose a Gallade to be the librarian? If you were going for irony, you certainly succeeded.

They then scurried out the main door, past Sapphire who was still deep in thought, and off to the library.

If Sapphire was leaning against the door, how did they go past her without disturbing her? I know I would notice if somebody pushed me out of the way.

As hard as the King tried to believe his daughter and Sapphire attempted to trust her own judgment, there was still that recurring doubt.

“Everlasting” is a very powerful word – too powerful, in this case. Simply saying “constant doubt” would have been better. However, I opted for a more descriptive synonym (how else do you know me?); I chose “recurring,” because it implies the doubt keeps comes back, but “persistent,” “incessant” and “recurrent” would been just as suitable.

Who was Char?

I find it strange that not once did King Blastoise wonder why his daughter lied to him.

Things are getting quite interesting, and I find that the more I read, the more your story intrigues me. This chapter may not have contributed to the story as much as the previous one did, for it seems the sole purpose was to emphasise King Blastoise’s distrust of Char – or should I call him Emburn? – but I nevertheless enjoyed reading it. Still, I think you should continue with our mysterious Charmander now; you have picked up the pace and gotten your readers excited, and it would be a major disappointment if you were to slam on the brakes.

I look forward to reading the next chapter, but just to remind you once more, tag me once you have published it! Fortunately, you ought to have your post for our mutual storybook up by now, so I at least have something to read. (But you had better beware if it isn’t!)

This review courtesy of

Charizard821 says...

What? Really? I thought I just posted. I'll get on that. Thanks again for the review. Also, I like how you're thinking, but if you can believe it, I'm going to be turning your whole train of thought around, soon.

Charizard821 says...

Also I dictionary searched it, and skeptical or sceptical can be spelled both ways and be correct, (as I showed just above.

BrumalHunter says...

Oh? Well, fancy that. Ignore that correction, then.

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin