z

Young Writers Society


12+

Invitation of a Heart

by Linkzude16


I reclined atop my queen-sized bed with my comforter peeled halfway off the mattress while propping my body up with my arms and having my legs stretched out. Also, in each of my ears was an earbud with its black cord running down to my smartphone. My phone’s screen was blank and black, but music played in the background. While the rhythmic dance music streamed into my ears, my head beat back and forth with each exciting drumbeat coupled with the humming bass, the few little guitar notes scattered expertly throughout the song, and the voice of Mr. Levine. As my head bounced on my neck, and my shoulders flicked around, a bystander might have thought that I were a puppet to Maroon 5’s body-rocking music.

I must have been sitting there for at least half an hour now, but I didn’t have any pressing matters to attend to. Meanwhile, I scrolled through texts, noticed two or three new ones, and replied, giving my words not much thought. Then I sat up and sighed. I was sitting in darkness, and for the time I had been staring at my phone, I had forgotten that. The blackness had evaded my notice as long as my attention was on that dim screen. Now I gazed about in the confusing, nonsensical, uninformative abyss that we call darkness, or shadow, if you prefer that word. Demons, hobgoblins, bats, dark wolves, and skeletal monsters all seemed to leap out at me in the dark. Occasionally, one unpredictable, fluid form would thrust itself violently toward my eyes and make me jump; but mostly I remained calm. “This is stupid!” I thought. “Am I so easily startled by the dark?” I stood up from my bed, traversed the carpet a few steps, and flicked the switch for my ceiling-fan so that light now filled the room. “You big baby,” I exclaimed only in thought, “don’t you realize it’s the same in the dark as in the light. Blast, David, the only difference is what you can see. All is the same.” I flicked the light back off. “How incredibly immature!” I thought and climbed back onto my comfortable bed. The music of Maroon 5 echoed in my ears as my phone still played it for me. I briefly allowed the music to continue before tapping the pause button. Then I laid myself out. “What is wrong with me?” I wondered. Suddenly, a voice seemed to whisper blasphemies to me in the darkness. I was startled but laid myself down again. “What the heck, David?”

I stood up and made my way to the kitchen which was downstairs and one room away. All the while, irrational fright pervaded the fibers of my bones. When I arrived in the kitchen, I walked to the fridge. I was guided to the water-dispenser built into its door by the pale glow that emanated from it. As I pressed down on the lever of the dispenser, water jetted into my cup. My cup full, I pressed the rim of the glass to my dry lips and poured the cool water down my throat. It felt as if not only a taste but also a fragrance now entered my body. I felt rejuvenated but within minutes had to urinate. I was yet standing by the fridge at that time and had my phone in the pocket of my pajama pants and earbuds still in my ears.The bathroom was just some feet away in the room adjacent to the kitchen. Thus I stole away in the darkness and entered into it. I sat quickly down onto the toilet, pulled the earbuds out, and stuffed them in my pocket. Then I began peering out through the blinds of a nearby window and into the ghastly, dark sky of that night. “Pretty,” I said in a quiet and guttural voice, but I only partly meant that comment. I was shaken by my childish fantasies in the blackness. I rose to my feet and felt the need to turn on the light. “Wait a minute! Nah, no way am I doing this! I can stand the darkness!”

I left the bathroom with not even a dim light to go by except the most miniscule amount of it radiated from the moon which allowed me distinguish no more than the vague shape of everything. I was making toward the stairs and ready to return to my room when, suddenly, I espied, through the glass of my front door, a certain house across the street. It had no especially interesting details and just one or two lights on its exterior. It appeared vacant and seemed to call my name. “I am not doing this,” I thought forcefully but lost resolve instantaneously and unlocked the door. Then I swung it silently open and slipped out.

In the same sort of darkness that had been in my house—with exception of a few dimly lit houses about me, I proceeded onto the asphalt street and crossed it. As soon as my foot pressed up against the border grass of the neighbor’s yard, I wondered, “Whoa! What am I doing? What reason do I have for doing this?” A respectful sense of wrongdoing pulled me away from the tempting house's lawn and admonished me. I reassessed the situation and, for whatever foolish reason of mine, decided to go forth anyway. That house seemed to glow now with a cloud of colored smoke I could only describe as demonically red. The sanguine vapor wrapped itself about the house, and I began to walk toward it! My feet bore me across the lawn, over the walkway, and onto the porch where I stood motionless. The scarlet smoke leapt up to lick my shoes and pajama pants. Once again, I started reconsidering. “Wait! What am I doing?” I exclaimed inwardly. “I am venturing onto someone else’s yard past midnight and even plotting to break in. What is this madness? Am I insane? God help me!”

I stared at the door. “I’ll bet it’s not even locked,” I thought with almost no recollection of my fear. Only the deep, perplexing attraction of that place begged me onward; and I listened. I stopped just before the knob and turned my Maroon 5 music back on. Immediately, I decided against music and pulled my earbuds out as quickly as I had put them in. I opened the door and entered. Voices shrieked and whispered in the darkness and beckoned me forth. “I am not doing this,” I said to myself and almost smiled in excitement, but I was terribly afraid. I stepped a few steps, and the shrill voices of some unknown enemies made their way to my ears. “What am I doing? What am I doing?” Suddenly, I heard the drumming—the mind-numbing drumming!—of a beating heart. It was as loud as the voice of a person talking to me if anyone had been. I thought for one second, heard the sharp voices again, and fled onto the porch. I had left the door open while passing out. I stood on the steps now and was catching my breath. The red cloud was not surrounding the house any longer. Had it been my imagination originally? I looked back into the frightening shadow framed like a photograph by the doorway. I gazed and thought. No, I did no thinking at all! I was feeling; I was working up courage to go back. In fact, I was suppressing sound thinking as much as possible. Those voices had been real; that beating heart also had been. They were still real.

I sprinted back into what seemed to be nothingness. I swept into the house through the front door and made my way toward the sound of that heart! I could almost feel it beating within my own chest. As I moved spasmodically toward it, I found myself in the living room where I imagined I could hear its potent beat summoning me onward. I then stumbled into what I thought was a bedroom. I could not exactly tell, for it was too dark to. I thought of turning on the flashlight app on my cellphone, but I had dropped that device somewhere in the darkness when I was frantically running throughout the house. Nonetheless, I would not go back to my phone--not while the call of the heart was so strong! It almost seemed more frightening to venture through this hellish shadow while searching out my phone than to stay and discover the heart--which could only be a relic of demons!--without light! I moved to the beat of the heart and found it. My eyes fixed on the sight of a double-door closet which I walked hesitantly—yet quickly—to and opened. I drew back the doors only to see a line of coats, jackets, collared shirts, and formal pants uniformly arrayed in a straight line across the pole on which they hung.

The heartbeat—it was now as loud as a shout! I had to listen to it! I peeled back the clothes on the hangars and saw a horror. What did I see? Oh, it was a skeleton—not a full one! This was all that was there: a vertebral column stretched from the carpet floor to the ceiling, and in the middle of the column was a rib cage with only its bones. The bones were colored, as well as I could see in the blackness, like gray and black ash. An eerie chill surged down my spine as I noticed that no sternum bound the ribs together at the top; they were not connected in the center. Through the empty slats between the ribs and the hole where the sternum should have been, I saw the heart! There it was—black and white and gray, unhealthy, beating energetically! It was anchored on the back of the spine but had no blood vessels streaming out from it. In fact, there was no other feature of a human body at all; there were just the ribs, the overly long spine, and the heart anchored on it.

Voices began calling again and grew more intense. They all seemed to command me to touch the heart. I looked at the lone, eerie organ. “No, I will not touch that! What am I thinking?” The voices grew louder. “Touch it! Touch it! Touch it, damn you!” The cries seemed to be of the devil and his demons! “No,” I shouted back mentally, and suddenly, my protests were audible and quite boisterous. “No! I will not do that!” I now stared weakly at the heart as it seemed to beat faster and harder. I reached out my hand and almost touched the ribs! As my fingers drew close to it, the heart slowed to almost stop beating and expanded greatly as if it were trying to reach out to me and make it easier for me to accomplish my task. The voices called more vehemently: “Touch it! Touch it! Damn you! Curse you! Touch it!”

I took one step back. “No, this cannot be real. What am I so afraid of? These cannot be the voices of fiends; I have imagined all this! I can touch the heart! What am I afraid of?” I grabbed the rib cage and pried back the two sides of it which swung back like doors. I could see the heart clearly. I stretched out my fingers. They almost touched its sweaty, sticky surface. Suddenly, as if my arms had been nudged from behind, my fingers collided with the heart. As an act of bravery, since I had already touched the evil bit of flesh, I opened my whole left hand like a claw and clutched and took hold of it! It still hung on its frame, but my hand wrapped around it. In the exact same instant that my hand was fully around the black heart, I felt a wave through my body like a shock of electricity. Also, strange sensations pervaded my body as I began to heel and as my head lost blood-flow. I was fainting; but this was not typical fainting. It had been induced by something altogether eerie and unearthly. I was feeling other things than the normal symptoms of fainting. In just a second, I plummeted and fell hard onto the carpet floor. Immediately, my mind and my senses were out. I was completely gone in a fretful, unforeseen sleep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
284 Reviews


Points: 4250
Reviews: 284

Donate
Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:25 am
View Likes
RubyRed wrote a review...



Wow!! This is amazing love all the descriptive words. Also the fear of darkness is one thing that I can relate to so reading this was like thinking my own thoughts. Half way through this I was wondering if this was a dream like Alice In Wonderland. I know how some people feel about sentences that are too fully packed with description and "weird wording" but I really liked this!! Keep up the good work Linkzude16!




User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:28 am
Evander wrote a review...



Hey, Linkzude16! Never fear, Raven is here to deliver the review you had requested in my forum! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get to this, for I didn't see the notification for this. >.< Anyways, enough the rambling! It is time to review.

Now, I normally judge a something by it's first paragraph (some others only read the first sentence then decide to judge). Waiting for something to draw me closer so that I would actually want to read on. I'm sorry to say, there was nothing of that sort here. The main character was probably a teen that liked to listen to music and had nothing going on in their life. Perhaps, within a next few paragraphs something good would have actually happened-- but that's too long to wait. We need to be hooked in as soon as possible. Or you lose prospective readers.

Woah there. The next paragraph is preettty big, and it could be broken up into several parts. With long chunks of writing like that, it's hard to actually follow with what is going on. Making the reader lose interest in the story as well. Perhaps break it up a bit after the thoughts David it having.

“This is stupid!” I thought. “Am I so easily startled by the dark?” (Paragraph break here.) I stood up from my bed, traversed the carpet a few steps, and flicked the switch for my ceiling-fan...


Also, David's thoughts seem... unnatural. As if he is being told what to say. Like, yes he is a character written down somewhere with an actual person making up what he says-- but it could be more life like. I'm not sure if I could find other ways to described the... forced-ness of his thoughts. Additionally, it gets sort of confusing when the thoughts are surrounded by double quotation marks. Perhaps it would make more sense to use italics, or single quotation marks?

One thing I would like to point out about the writing is that there is a lot of description! Which I love. There is just enough to see what is going on, to get a clear image of what is happening-- but there is also enough to let the readers' mind wander and make up some things.

However, it seems like sometimes words larger than necessary. Giving off a sorta vibe. Not sure if it is good or bad, though. Just thought you should know. Like David is a child of some really rich person who only uses the longest of words, and never uses contractions for fear of lowering down to an unacceptable level.

This is supposed to be mystery and suspense, right? I didn't realize that when I first read the story. (As I have said before) this seems like it's about a boring teen with mediocre problems. Though, with the repeated mention with how he hates the dark, that makes me think that's something going to happen to him while he is in the dark.

Now that I have read the whole story-- I cannot seem to be able to tell if this is a short story that ended really abruptly, or if this is an opening to a novel. Either way, I hope you keep on writing!

~Rae,




Linkzude16 says...


Thanks for your review, Rae.



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:49 pm
View Likes
Gravity wrote a review...



Hey!
Gravity here to do a review.
i thought this piece was really interesting, and it actually has given me an idea for a short story of my own. Anyway.

You have some really awkward sentences in there with repeated words. Like in the beginning you repeat the word "mattress" and throughout this story you say the word "light" way too many times so try to tone that down a bit and use some synonyms.

You also need to work on grammar and indentation. You have really. long. paragraphs. Find places where you can separate them because looking at them head on, they become unnecessarily lengthy and daunting. You have some really good descriptive parts, but like Ray Bradbury, there are just sometimes where you go on and on and on and become redundant about describing one thing. As for your grammar, you have so many run on sentences that are just separated by commas or have too many ideas in them. So yeah, there's that.

What I really liked was your vocabulary. You used words like "clutched" and "spasmodically" which gave this almost a similar feel to Edgar Allan Poe. This actually really reminded me of his short story, "The Tell-Tale Heart" and overall your use of vocabulary sounded very professional. You have a very unique writing style which I enjoyed, I just think there are places you should cut down and down size so your readers don't get bored.

Also? The red demon cloud around the house?

Genius.

That's it for this review!
XOXO,
Gravity




Linkzude16 says...


Thanks for the review, Gravity. Actually, my mom commented that it sounded like "The Tell-Tale Heart" when she read it and said it was like Edgar Allan Poe's work. Thanks for all your advice.



Gravity says...


No problem :)



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2775
Reviews: 36

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:04 am
View Likes
Linkzude16 says...



I edited a few things. Thanks for your help, dutifulwriter and WaltzingDreams! I hope this is better now.




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1067
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:13 am
View Likes
Dutiful wrote a review...



Hi there!

I'm here to review your faabulous work!

I have to say, I really enjoyed reading this! Your use and choice of descriptives were amazing, and it made me feel like I was there with David.

I felt you could have spaced it out and split the whole story into paragraphs. It looks too cluttered, and had it not been so interesting, I'm sure I would have skipped more than a few lines.

You have a talent, my friend. Words just flow. And with meaning (:

However, I feel you could tone down with the amount of descriptives you use, because as refreshing as it is to read, at a certain point it gets a little annoying.

For instance:

my legs stretched across the mattress. One was straight; the other bent up as if I were anchoring myself in position with it.


I know it's a simple posture; heck it's how I sit almost everyday. But the way it's been described makes it seems a bit painful, to be honest lol.

While the rhythmic dance music streamed into my ear canals and flowed to my brain,


I felt that this was a bit unnecessary.

As my head bounced on my neck, and my shoulders flicked around, and my arms pointed and gestured in simple patterns,


Again, a simple gesture, but looks so painful.

I'll stop with that :P

As for the content itself, I thought this was a great idea! Honestly, I wanted to stop David from stepping out of his house and strap him to his bed! That's how involved I was :)

Was it creepy? ABSOLUTELY.

Was it amazing? DAMN RIGHT.

So there you have it.

You're fabulous!

Keep writing!




Linkzude16 says...


Thanks, I'll consider what you said about my overly descriptive wording. I'm glad you enjoyed it.



Linkzude16 says...


You were quite right about those phrases being awkward. I have mended them and will look for others.



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 1287
Reviews: 86

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:01 am
View Likes
WaltzingDreams wrote a review...



Hey Sybil here ^.^

This short reminds me much of E.A. Poe! As you can already assume, I'm a big fan of these horror shorts :) this is really nice! I liked the flow and your wording was exquisite! I commend you for that, you got to excite the fear within me, even if I'm not afraid of the dark unlike this unnamed character! Your own emotion is clearly evident here: beautiful soul, looking for some sort of light in the darkness.

Found a nitpick though, first thing that I noticed is that this work didn't have formatting. It's a good piece, but I think it would be more pleasing to the eye if it were formatted properly :) Paragraph breaks, move the dialogues to the next line... What I do, is when ever a character says a line then breaks then says another line, I keep it in the same dialogue paragraph to avoid confusion ^^

I propped my reclining body up with arms while my legs stretched across the mattress.

'up with arms?' ....Up with my arms....Unless your arms are mechanical or what

Now I gazed about in the confusing, nonsensical, uninformative abyss that we call darkness, or shadow, if you prefer that word.

^ My favorite line from this entire piece! ;)


You are very promising, Link! Keep on creating!

Keep on Dreaming!

-Sybil (WaltzingDreams)




Linkzude16 says...


Thanks, I will correct that wording "with arms." Hehe, that was a bad oversight. Thank you for catching it.



Random avatar

Points: 241
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:16 pm
View Likes
Siageo wrote a review...



I loved it, it had a creepy and horror based sense to it. It would be awesome if it expanded into a story with many chapters. I loved the description, it seemed the main character is presented as a really curious one who is afraid of the dark. He finally seems to get over his fears but at a horrible cost. My favorite part was when the spirits kept talking to him, I could imagine their voices, maybe because I watch too much horror movies.

You're a great writer, I enjoyed this piece.




Linkzude16 says...


Thanks, I had fun writing this; and thanks for reviewing my works and reviewing this before anyone else. You're awesome!




Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau