12+

Working For Love

by VanTheWritingMan

After a hard day at work, Matt Harden gets an urgent call from one of his most trusted friends, Mike Halls. “Hey Matt. Do you have anything planned for this Christmas? I know you’ve been busy lately, but everyone needs a break now and then,” Mike said.

Matt replied, “Well, my customers are going to have me pretty busy this Christmas. Do you have anything planned?”

“I was wondering if you would like to accompany my wife and I onto a once in a lifetime cruise to Paris. Just meet me at the downtown pub. We can talk more about it there,” Mike answered.

“OK sure. I will be there in five minutes.”

Matt made his way over to the bar knowing that this was just one of Mike’s typical schemes of getting him away from work. Mike always felt that his buddy needed to unwind a bit and spend more time with other people -- instead of sitting at his lonely desk all day long... On the contrary, Mike was usually carefree and loved everything that did not have anything to do with working. Once they arrived at the bar, they greeted each other with a “hello” and a warm hug.

“So, whadya think about the trip to Paris? They don’t call it the city of love for nothing, you know?” said Matt.

“That’s what you call all of the places that you drag me to. Last time you said Australia was the loveliest place on earth. The only love I got was from all of those mosquitoes.”

“Calm down would you. At least they were all females. They were probably just trying to kiss you.”

“Then how come none of them ever bothered you?”

“Well that’s ‘cause I had my beautiful fiancé with me. And that’s also why you need a girlfriend.”

“I am perfectly satisfied by myself.”

“You know, companies usually work better when there are two people involved. It’s a known fact. You can easily find a partner, and not just one for business, in Paris.”

“Hmmmm… I guess you may be right.”

“See? I am always right.”

“Looks like I’ll just stay here and search for a partner from the comfort of my home.”

“Oh no. That’s not what I meant. Your life is so boring. You need some action in those bones of yours. In order to find the right person, you ‘gotta step out of your comfort zone.”

“And how would you know?”

“Did you forget that I am the person with a happy wife?”

“Oh yeah.”

“Besides, life isn’t just about hard work and money. Sometimes one should just relax with the person of their dreams.”

“What if I can’t afford the person of my dreams? There is no woman who would want to be with a man who can’t provide for her.”

“You underestimate yourself too much buddy. You can provide so much more to the person of your dreams than you think.”

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:37 am
Ivegotanappleah wrote a review...

The story is too random! You need to think about your character development and you should think deeper about how the story works. For example, first "Matt" was talking to his friend about Christmas, and then suddenly jumped to relationships, and ends in a vague way. You should think the story like this: Two friends preparing for Christmas; talks about relationships; and Matt with the imaginary relationship should met a girl through visiting some where, in a location, and he likes her, and tries to find a way to have her, blah blah... The story I suggested to you is cliche, but I think that's what you need to build up a romance/comedy short story. In conclusion, I don't know if you're just playing with a real story? Or is this serious to you?

Thanks for the review and sorry for the late response! This was actually just a short exercise that I was using to practice my dialogue. It was just to show a quick conversation between two friends with opposing personality types. Thanks again for the review!

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:54 am
Redbox275 wrote a review...

When I finsihed your story I am wondering if your going to conitinue. I find that it serves a reader a good problem for the protagonist but there was no resolution. The ending was too random and didn't resolve anything. Another thing is you need to put more descriptions about charactor's actions, environments, and emotions and I see you do too much telling and not enough showing. What I do like is your characts. From the dialog they seem relatable and distict enough.

Thanks for the review and sorry for the late response! This story was meant to be a short excerpt from their lives. I gave a little bit of background information in the beginning, but it was essentially just a brief interaction between two friends.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:40 am
Satira wrote a review...

Hi!
the first thing that I struck me about this is that the characters sort of speak as if they're reciting from an essay: it is very measured and logical. it gives logical 'solutions' to certain implications, such as when the first speaker asks the second if he has anything planned for christmas. He asks the question, gives an implication( 'i know it's busy this time of year'), and a solution (every guy needs a break).
furthermore, I don't understand how this turned into a conversation about the second speaker's love-life so fast. It's between these two guys, who have been friends for a while, and while you do show that comfortableness in your dialogue, I still don't think Mr. forever alone's love life would be the first topic of interest.
The first guy is very unlikable, and a little stereotypical as the 'best friend' of the 'nice smart reclusive guy'. the ' I'm always right' line? i must have seen it in like, 3 or more disney channel original movies. plus others. It's a mark of the slightly-concieted, confident, cool friend, and it's sort of boring by now.
like foley says, your dialogue is also a bit stiff, and formal. of course, so is John Green's in the fault in our stars... well, formal. Stiff, no. if you want to get away with formal, you have to get rid of the stiffness. Stiffness is an absolute nono.
:) happy writing!
-Satira

Thanks for the review and sorry for the late response! I absolutely agree with the stiffness part of the dialogue. It is something that I definitely need to work on in my writing, especially for a piece like this between two friends. Thanks again for the review!

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:39 am
mfoley says...

Is this just an excerpt? Either way, this has potential, but needs quite a bit of expanding, and refined dialogue.
"I'd was wondering if you would like to accompany me and my wife on a once in a lifetime cruise to Paris." Nobody actually talks like this. "Just meet me at the downtown pub." Unless this is set in the UK, I doubt anyone will refer to the bar as a pub, even if that's what it is. Unless, of course, its actual name is The Downtown Pub. So, for the beginning, I would advise starting the conversation with a bit more back and forth catching up (remember, keep it natural, just how you would talk to your buddy), then ask for the meet-up, skipping the offer for now: "Listen, can you meet me at that bar downtown, the one on Main Street? I have something I want to run by you."
Save the offer for Paris until they've met in the bar, and comb through your dialogue. If you wouldn't say it in real life, your character doesn't need to say it, either.

Thanks for the review and sorry for the late response! Thanks for the great suggestions. I will make sure to use them in my next work! :^)

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs