z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Rooster in Bakeries, Illegal in Massachusetts? No Kidding!

by Lovetswift1300


It was December 20, 2002, Susie Sunshine was a seventh grader, at Midnight Magic Middle School, in Wellington, Massachusetts. Her class had just spent the last week before Christmas break learning about all the laws in their country. It was a very boring lesson and by Friday the class was ready to go home for the break and get away from all this history. Then, their teacher surprised Susie and her classmates and ended the week on a very funny note. The teacher gave the class a list of crazy laws in Massachusetts that still existed to that very day.

"Where did these laws come from?" One of the students asked.

"Many of these laws were created for weird reasons that do not apply today. They made since for one situation only." Said Mrs. Garden, the history teacher.

"What about the law that forbids roosters from going into bakeries?" Susie Sunshine asked.

"That one has a funny story. Let me tell you." Said Mrs. Garden

It was June 28th, 1777, America had already received its independence for almost a whole year. They were just starting to get ready for the first anniversary of their independent life. Businesses were buzzing with excitement, and getting ready for the big day.

Mr. Scoobie, was the proud owner of Delicate and Delicious Bakery in Lexington, Massachusetts. He was extremely busy getting the store front decorated with red, white, and blue streamers and all of the delicious cakes and cupcakes ready for the big day. His most important assignment was to make 13 big cakes that were shaped like the thirteen colonies. People from all thirteen colonies would be arriving in Lexington in just 6 days for the anniversary and they all needed to be represented in cake.

However, making thirteen cakes that were shaped like the thirteen colonies was no easy task. Mr. Scoobie was really stressed out and by this point in the game everyone knew it. Mr. Scoobie was even freaking out over all of the frostings being a different color. He was acting like someone told him to do this but he came up with the idea himself. He insisted on them this way so that it didn't look boring and the eyes of the colonists were intrigued. No one knew what this ment but no one was going to argue with Mr. Scoobie. So, Mr, Scoobie had a lot on his plate and it was his own fault.

"We are so behind schedule!" Mr. Scoobie screamed. "I need all thirteen cakes made and frosted by July 3rd. We are all ready and set up before the big celebration on July 4th at exactly 8:00 am. That's right the celebration starts at 8:00 am."

"Don't worry Mr. Scoobie everything will be alright. You shouldn't worry everything will get made and the anniversairy will be a great event," Said one of his workers.

"I hope so but I am not sure. If this anniversairy celebration turns into a disaster, it will be all my fault." Said Mr. Scoobie.

"If it turns into a disaster it would be all your fault, but if anyone thought it would turn into a disaster they wouldn't have given you this very important job. Get organized, Mr. Scoobie. What do you have to do?" Said the same worker.

"I have to make thirteen cakes shaped like the thirteen colonies and a lot of red white and blue cupcakes. When I display the cupcakes, I want them to look like an Amercain Flag. Oh, why did I sign up for this, I need more time! Six days is not enough!" Said Mr. Scoobie.

Five days later, Mr, Scoobie was very surprised at all the work he had accomplished. He had finished the thirteen cakes shapes like the thirteen colonies. He had made all the cupcakes and found out how to make them look like an American Flag.

"All I have left to do is frost the cupcakes and put everything on a display. It's almost done! Its not going to be a disaster! The celebration is tommorow and my work is going to be done!" Said Mr. Scoobie.

"All of the workers can go home for the night but be sure to come back tommorow at 6:00 am so that we have time to set up before the celebration starts at 8:00 am." Said Mr. Scoobie.

"Thanks, Mr. Scoobie! We told you we could do it!" Said all of the workers together. They were all happy that they got to go home.

After all the workers left, something very unexpected happened. Mr. Scoobie was cleaning up and making sure everything was ready for the morning. He put the last frosting on the cupcakes. Then he relized, one of his workers had let the door open

"Are you crazy! Why didn't you shut the door? Animals could get in! All the work could be ruined." Said Mr. Scoobie.

Almost as if it was a movie, a rooster came in through the door.

"OMG, a rooster is in my bakery." Exclaimed Mr. Scoobie.

The rooster got to one of the cakes and started eating it. Mr. Scoobie started chasing the rooster with a butterfly net. By the time Mr. Scoobie caught the rooster, all the cakes were ruined.

"Roosters should be illegal in bakeries. This one just ruined all of the colony shaped cakes. All I have for tommorow are the cupcakes." Screamed Mr. Scoobie.

The next day there were no colony cakes only cupcakes. After the anniversary Mr. Scoobie went to the town hall and made them create a law that made roosters illegal in bakeries. This law never came off the books so technically it is still in existence today,

"So that's how the law, came about." Said Mrs. Garden.

"Wow! That was weird! One event can change the laws, forever." Said one of the students.

"If you brought a rooster into a bakery today, would you get in trouble." Said Susie Sunshine.

"Probably not, but I would not suggest it." Said Mrs. Gardener.

Then, the bell rings.

"Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!" Exclaimed Mrs. Garden. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:37 am
BluesClues wrote a review...



Omg, this was hilarious. Just curious, but did you learn about these laws in class and decide to write a story about how one of them might have come about? I love ridiculous old laws.

I have two suggestions for you today. One is just a formatting issue, so let’s talk about that first.

Dialogue! Let’s look at this line.

"Probably not, but I would not suggest it." Said Mrs. Gardener.


It’s a really minor issue but also a really common one that I always like to point out to people because it distracts me a lot while I’m reading. When you use a dialogue tag (“said,” “whispered,” etc), change the period in the line of dialogue to a comma and don’t capitalize the first word of the tag unless it’s a proper noun. Like this.

“Probably not, but I would not suggest it,” said Mrs. Gardener.


This rule also holds when you start with a personal pronoun, like this.

“Probably not, but I would not suggest it,” she said.


If the dialogue starts with a proper noun—someone’s name, rather than a verb (like “said”) or a personal pronoun (like “she”)—you still change the period to a comma but do capitalize the first word in the dialogue tag, since it’s a proper noun and should always be capitalized.

“Probably not, but I would not suggest it,” Mrs. Gardener said.


When using any punctuation other than a period (like a question mark), leave the punctuation the same but follow the rules about capitalization. So if this was a question…

“Is this a question[b]?” said Mrs. Gardener.


Okay, sorry about all that. I normally don’t nitpick during reviews, but the dialogue formatting is one thing I will almost always nitpick because it distracts me when I’m reading if all the dialogue is formatted wrong. Let’s move on, shall we?

At first I wasn’t entirely sure why you used a framing narrative sort of thing for this story—I mean, framing the main story (how the law about roosters in bakeries was passed) with another story (Susie learning about weird laws). But after thinking about it, I think it was a good strategy. Without it, you’re just telling us this random weird story that results in a law about roosters not being allowed in bakeries. With it, with the context of Susie’s class, we know that this story is actually a scenario of what might have happened that resulted in one of America’s weird old-timey laws. Plus I like to imagine that the scenario is actually Susie wondering how the law came about.

On to my second suggestion. You did a good job of dramatizing the scene where Mr. Scoobie is freaking out about getting everything together, finally finishes the cakes, and then freaks out anew when the rooster comes in and destroys everything. However, I would love to see the scene where the law was passed! I imagine a hilarious town hall meeting where Mr. Scoobie is like, “I demand we outlaw roosters in bakeries” and everyone else is like, “…huh?” And Mr. Scoobie is all frazzled and seems crazy because he’s just so distraught that his cakes were ruined. Right now, you just summarize this.

The next day there were no colony cakes only cupcakes. After the anniversary Mr. Scoobie went to the town hall and made them create a law that made roosters illegal in bakeries. This law never came off the books so technically it is still in existence today


The reason I think that’s a good scene to write out as a scene, rather than summarizing, is because how the law came about was the point of the whole story. So in a way, the meeting where they create the law is really the most important part of the story, but right now you sort of skip over it. I realize that in real life watching the process of how a law actually comes into being isn’t necessarily the most exciting thing, but you could make it pretty zany. After all, you’ve already got cupcakes in the shape of an American flag, cakes in the shapes of the thirteen colonies, a man from 1777 saying “omg,” and a baker chasing a rooster with a butterfly net.




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 3737
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:18 am
Laurenh6 wrote a review...



Hello! I thought this looked rather awesome actually xD! The title and description were so wacky and crazy - love that kinda thing! So I thought I'd give it a read, and you a review! Basically, I'm just going to list my observations as I read along! Obviously it's just my opinion so whether you actually change things or not is purely up to you. However, here is the best advice I can give you ! I hope I can help you out :P !


Right, my first observation is the wacky names! How awesome is that!! Susie Sunshine and the Midnight Magic Middle School. Lots of alliteration which makes it sound quite cool and catchy. But yeah totally loved the quirkiness of this. Obviously you don't get many people in real life with names as funky as these.. And also, in many stories people choose more realistic names more often than not (in my opinion) .. However, you chose some awesome names hat add a bit of light heartedness to the story . I totally admire that so well done.

I must say though, I a, slightly disappointed that you didn't bring these things back up in the story.. Midnight Magic Middle School- that's so awesome! I instantly thought of wizards and Harry Potter etc sad .. But where is the relevance to this story? J feel like it needs a little bit of a link to make the reader connect more .. Otherwise it just seems completely random and pointless xD.. I'd totally love a link to be made there!

Paragraph 8 - there needs to be a comma...
"He was acting like someone told him to do this, but he had come up with the idea himself. "

Furthermore, in this paragraph you have a spelling error...
No one knew what this ment but no one was going to argue with Mr. Scoobie. So, Mr, Scoobie had a lot on his plate and it was his own fault."... "Ment" should be "meant "


Right, next errors I spotted were here..
"Don't worry Mr. Scoobie everything will be alright. You shouldn't worry everything will get made and the anniversairy will be a great event," Said one of his workers.

-"You shouldn't worry," - the comma is needed
-"anniversary" is the right spelling.

Next,
"I have to make thirteen cakes shaped like the thirteen colonies and a lot of red white and blue cupcakes." ... Commas needed" red, white, and blue"

Then this part leads onto ..."want them to look like an Amercain Flag. Oh, why did I sign up for this, I need more time! Six days is not enough!" Said Mr. Scoobie'
Right so here you need a question mark .... "Oh, why did I sign up for this?"


Now..This needs altering

All I have left to do is frost the cupcakes and put everything on a display. It's almost done! Its not going to be a disaster! The celebration is tommorow and my work is going to be done!" Said Mr. Scoobie.

"All of the workers can go home for the night but be sure to come back tommorow at 6:00 am so that we have time to set up before the celebration starts at 8:00 am." Said Mr. Scoobie.

Two paragraphs starting with the same thing, AND ending with the same thing "said Mr Scoobie" - it's a little repetitive and you could shorten it into one.. Like this ..

"All I have left to do is frost the cupcakes and put everything on a display. It's almost done! Its not going to be a disaster! The celebration is tommorow and my work is going to be done," Said Mr. Scoobie. "all of the workers can go home for the night but be sure to come back tommorow at 6:00 am so that we have time to set up before the celebration starts at 8:00 am."


They were all happy that they got to go home." No offence, but "happy" and the wording of this is all quite unenthusiastic .. The adjective of "happy" is kinda dull and I feel it needs jazzing up a little.. So maybe say...

" Smiles spread across their faces with the exciting news. They could go home! After a tiresome day of baking, the workers were ..." - you get the picture



I've noticed this story has a loaaaaddd of speech and I feel like more description is needed for the reader to connect with the plot line. You should describe the setting - the conditions of the setting.. What did the kitchen look like? Was it hot and sweaty in there? How were they all feeling - in more depth. Rather than saying how people feel - describe it! Show their anger thought the clenching of fists, or their nerves through the shaking of breath as they speak.. Just give us a better image to imagine :D.. Like here ..
"After all the workers left, something very unexpected happened"... Don't state that something unexpected happened - show it , describe it, and surprise the reader as they follow the story .


"OMG, a rooster is in my bakery." Exclaimed Mr. Scoobie.

I've got a few issues with this.. First of all, I'm not sure whether this is just the way I've interpreted things but the law of 'no roosters in bakeries' I would have presumed to have been made a long time ago. Am I right? If I am right, then the phrase "OMG" should be completely disregarded purely because that phrase is modern and new to this generation.. Nobody would've said that back in the olden days.. Also, the phrase itself I feel ruins the flow of the story .. We haven't seen any slang until this point and I feel it sorta isn't needed. Furthermore, the phrase of "OMG" completely contrasts with "exclaimed" .. Exclaimed as a verb doesn't really emphasise any fear or shock - it sounds like he's just blandly saying it. Why not add a bit of excitement there .. Say he "screamed" or "yelled" or "shrieked" .. Just my opinion though :)

My next point ..

"The rooster got to one of the cakes and started eating it. Mr. Scoobie started chasing the rooster with a butterfly net. By the time Mr. Scoobie caught the rooster, all the cakes were ruined."

I feel like, the story has been building up to this climax .. But when we reach it, the whole scenario is sorta brushed over and there is a lack of shock and drama for us to connect to it.. So maybe describe the chase in more detail - describe where he found this net and how he finally managed to catch the rooster. Also, emphasise his disappointment when he discovers all his hard work has gone to nothing - make us feel sympathy :) ..

But I do like the sound of a butterfly net .. Reminds me a bit of when I used to watch sponge bob xD


And finally , my last critique is that this needs to have a question mark

"If you brought a rooster into a bakery today, would you get in trouble?"



So overall view now I personally found this an interesting read! Although there are a few things I'd alter , I enjoyed the wackiness and uniqueness of this. The names, the plot and the way it's written - you don't see much like this on YWS ! And I'd love to read more so please notify me when you have written more - I'd love to to read it! And also, is this genuinely a real law or what? Coz that is crazy xD


I hope I could help you out :) ..any questions? please ask !


Lauren :D




User avatar


Points: 229
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:05 am
krazkat says...



Nice work




User avatar


Points: 48
Reviews: 4

Donate

User avatar


Points: 48
Reviews: 4

Donate

User avatar


Points: 48
Reviews: 4

Donate


You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae