z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Hope

by Kajka


Despair is within, eating me inside,

Absorbing all the joy, pushing me aside.

Jammed in the depths, becoming all there is,

Attached to my heart, death is like a bliss.

Nothing still remains, all forever gone, 

A glance at your eyes makes me see new dawn.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 874
Reviews: 232

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:06 pm
rainforest wrote a review...



Hello there! Unknown391625 here with review!

First off, this is a depressing, dramatic poem. Seeing from your portfolio, you have written other poems. Nice job! So, I have only one nitpick with this. In the first line, you started a sentence, ended the line with a comma, and started the next line with the first letter capitalized of the first word. That is really my only nitpick with this. Everything else is great. It rhymes! It's just really simple and great! You have an a,b,a,b pattern going on! Not bad at all! I would like to see more of your works! Don't give up and always write, Kajka!

-Unknown391625

Happy review day!



Random avatar
Kajka says...


It is because this is an acrostic poem, which means that every first letter of the line spells out something. Here it spells out the name of my ex girlfriend.
Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 8053
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:31 pm
godlypopo wrote a review...



Hello, happy review day!

This is a very depressing poem. I love how you start off the poem with the idea of despair eating you from the inside. It makes the reader feel miserable, which really sets the whole mood. The whole poem then causes a hidden despair to appear and it worms its way into the readers mind.

The only nitpicks I have is to work on your rhyming couplet at the end and not capitalising every line-stick to the punctuation please. I would recommend making it as catchy and gripping as possible for the best results. Maybe try finding another word to rhyme with gone that still fits? You want to make it as memorable as possible-gone and dawn is not strong enough for the reader.

I can imagine that this person has gone through an emotional break up. Which would explain why he starts talking to the person with such loving words that stir up the reader's very heart.

An interesting poem...
That's all from me,
sorry it's such a short review,
Godly :D



Random avatar
Kajka says...


I hope you've realized that this is an acrostic one. First letters of every line spell out her name.
Thanks for the review ! :)



godlypopo says...


Hm interesting name



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 33
Reviews: 131

Donate
Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:25 pm
Monsters wrote a review...



Hey Kajka, I'm here for your review as requested.

While this gets some emotion across the point that you could see the most improvement is twisting the cliches with an image or abstraction. I and many other people call it, the process of making the poem yours. When done effectively the poem becomes alive, the emotion suddenly becomes real and honestly, if done well we could feel empathy for the feelings of you or your character. Right now, like so many poems it is numb.

a list of numb expressions;

Despair is within, eating me inside,

Attached to my heart, death is like a bliss.


all other lines don't wow me with originality, they are usually just there taking up space.


Now, we gotta talk quickly about the use of your rhymes. It is very hard to write exactly and concisely what you want to say in a rhyme poem. Usually, less is more in poetry. In the poem, your rhymes make you ramble a bit, talking about a feeling and interlocking another feeling together without explaining or making one real first ect. It's sloppy. When you talk about a feeling in a poem you have to reach for empathy without your reader knowing that you're doing it. It's difficult and every poet has difficulties with this.

a list of forced rhymes;

pushing me aside.

becoming all there is,
Attached to my heart, death is like a bliss.

all forever gone,
A glance at your eyes makes me see new dawn.



Instead make it shorter and make the words yours. I suggest you get rid of the rhyme scheme. It seems silly with the content anyways.



Random avatar
Kajka says...


It's acrostic ?



Monsters says...


what do you mean its acrostic?



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 456

Donate
Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:30 am
Rascalover wrote a review...



Hi!
Thanks for requesting a review, but the next time copy and paste the link to your work in your request, so I can find it easier! :)

I really enjoy this because it is a short piece that is right to the point, but also tells a beautiful story. At the end, it leaves readers hopeful for a brighter future for the author/character. The only nitpick I can see is that the word a should be after see in the last line.

If you have any questions or need more reviews feel free to ask!
xoxo,
Rascalover




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:42 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



You know when you copy and paste a poem from a site somewhere and all the formatting gets removed? This reminds me of that. Places just keep popping out at me where you could put extra stuff in. For example, the rolling sentence of the first two lines reminds me of the Arctic Monkeys song 'Do I Wanna Know?' When you write it out as prose, the line goes:

Cos there's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat, til I fall asleep, spilling drinks on my settee.

The on-and-on of the line shows the singer's desperation.

When I do this for yours:

Despair is within, eating me inside, absorbing all the joy, pushing me aside.

The roll on similarly shows desperation. I think you should take out the commas. It splits it up too much. But, it wouldn't make much sense as a big long sentence so I have an idea. How about:

Despair is within, eating
me inside, absorbing
all the joy, pushing
me aside.


That way, the clauses roll into each other and the actions are at the edges of the lines as if they are punching out at the reader.

I would suggest doing something similar with the second sentence.

Jammed
in the depths, becoming
all their is, attached
to my heart, death
is like a bliss.


The next line I think is fine.

The last line should definitely be separate, maybe even by two or three blank lines. Maybe:

A glance at your eyes makes
me see a new dawn.


Then the verb at the end would link with the verbs up the top.

What I've done here is rewrite your poem how I would enjoy reading it, and how I think others would enjoy reading it. As it is, I don't think it was as passionate as I know for a fact you are. I think it is really important to give this impact, which means you have to use a lot more poetic techniques, rather than just telling me something.

Hope this helps :)



Random avatar
Kajka says...


Ahhh, i see I should have been a little more clear while explaining what an acrostic poem is. Guess just putting it in the description isn't enough.

My friend, acrostic poem is a poem in which the first letters of lines spell out something vital to the poem. In this case it's DAJANA, which is the name of my ex girlfriend. This is the reason why everything is aligned as it is. But you had some interesting ideas there..

I hope things are more clear now.. :)



ExOmelas says...


Well, you'd have to mention Dajana in the poem. Had it been a traditional name like 'Alice' or something, I would have put it together, but this is not obvious as a name, and therefore not particularly effective.


Random avatar
Kajka says...


Well, the whole point is not mentioning her in the poem mate. That is what makes acrostic poems special and unique. Also Dajana is a very traditional name where I'm from, therefore it's very obvious.
If I had been with a girl named 'Alice', I would have probably put 'Alice' in the poem. But I haven't.
It's not hard to realize what it is all about if you know what acrostic poems are.
Thanks for your review and your comment.



ExOmelas says...


Look, I know what acrostics are. I did not actually read the description since you sent me a link directly to the work. When a poem gets published, there is no description. A regular reader will be as curious as me. I realise that I was insensitive about the name Dajana and I am sorry about that.



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 75

Donate
Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:36 pm
Eldritch wrote a review...



The title you gave to your poetry really goes with whatever you have written inside. good job on that. i think, TITLE of one literary work is very much important.

"Nothing still remains, all forever gone,

A glance at your eyes makes me see new dawn."

i found these two lines where i really feel the thing "HOPE" is showing. i can connect myself to the poem, it's really nicely written.

But, i don't understand a thing, what's Horror in it? I don't understand really. "Beg your pardon"

and you have matched the lines with their last words, which brings little jingle to it. like,

inside; aside

there is; bliss

gone; dawn

Good work anyway. Have a nice day.



Random avatar
Kajka says...


Well yes, the point is no matter how bad things are, when you see her eyes, you see hope, and you'll forget every single trouble you've had so far.
But yeah. Thanks for the review.



Eldritch says...


No worries :D




Life is about losing everything.
— Isabel Allende