Riddle 2

by BookWolf

I have a pelt of gold,

and long white fangs that always keep hold.

My claws are deadly,

and will pierce flesh without a moments hesitation.

Sometimes I have long, dark hair,

but at other times I don't.

I have a tail with a tuft of fur at the end,

which unlike my hair, will always be there.

I nearly always live in a group of my exact kind,

where the bald ones hunt,

and the rest defend.

My ears are rounded,

and I live somewhere very hot and dry.

I'm not the fastest of my similar competitors,

but I am the strongest.

Despite where I usually live,

you can also find me somewhere else.

Far from my home, I'm kept in a small area,

where I am thrown food instead of hunting for it.

And I often find myself being gawked at by

nasty, noise-making creatures.

Can you guess what I am?

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:51 am
TheLittlePrince says...

This was amazing... Lion isn't it? When you said "bald", I presumed it to be an Eagle, then it became quite clear that it was a lion. By the way, not all lions live in "very hot and dry" places, Asiatic lions live in forests; this means the correct answer would be some African lion subspecies. But anyways, this was really cool. Loved it! :)

BookWolf says...

Thank you! :D You're always so nice, I really appreciate it.

I didn't know some lions lived in forests. :/ Huh. Are there some that live in jungles, because if not, the term "King of the Jungle" just keeps making less and less sense.

I love your new picture, by the way. :P It's adorable.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:27 pm
Pan says...

Is it a lion?

BookWolf says...

Yes! :D Great picture, by the way. :P

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:07 pm

IDK why but i was thinkin bird. BTW awesome work dude

BookWolf says...

A bird! :P Lol, thanks for reading it. :D

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 am
Burrow says...

Dingo or hyena or dog??

BookWolf says...

None of those. :P But a Hyena and the correct animal live in the same place. Thanks for reading it and liking, though! :D

jackm1999 says...

ahh cheetah?

BookWolf says...

Lol. :D So close!

jackm1999 says...

Lion?

BookWolf says...

Yeah! :P

jackm1999 says...

:)

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:09 am
rainforest wrote a review...

Hello there, friend! Unknown391625 here with another review today!

First off, I love it. It's a very nice rhyming riddle. It leaving you wondering at the end what is this mystery animal. Its not bad at all. I haven't read your first riddle yet. Probably should. Otherwise, I really like it. No nitpicks really. I really do like it. I would take a guess the animal is a tiger, maybe. Good job! I would like to see more poems and write more riddles, please. Don't guve up and always write, BookWolf!

-Unknown391625 (A.K.A Edgar Allan Poe)

BookWolf says...

Thanks a ton unknown! :D But it's not a tiger.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:03 am
TigersMoon wrote a review...

This is excellent! I absolutely love it!

I can't find a single thing wrong. Wow. I looked over it three times but I just didn't see anything. Congratulations.

"I have a pelt of gold," This is the best part in my opinion. The way you say it makes the animal seem lordly. Wonderful. Wonderful.

"nasty, noise-making creatures." This is true. I often think about humans from the perspective of animals and I normally think of these things.

Spoiler! (Kind of)

It's a lion! I new it by "I have a tail with a tuft of fur at the end,"
"where the bald ones hunt," This messed me up until I realized the females hunt. (The males are so lazy X).)

A beautiful piece. You never cease to amaze me. Keep on rocking!

-M.P. Tigers

BookWolf says...

Aw, I really appreciate that! :D And I agree, lol those lazy males. :D

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:55 am
crissymarx wrote a review...

This is so cute! I read your other one too, by the way, and I do like this one better.

The only comments I would really have to make are 1) to watch your rhyme scheme(the beginning kind of tricked one into thinking the scheme was something it actually was not going to be) and 2) to make it a little harder. Around the 5th line in, I had already guessed it was a lion. I'm sorry! But some people are just harder to stump ;). If you really want to make a good riddle I would suggest picking a VERY easy topic and writing a very difficult riddle off of it. But overall, great job! I have actually written a few riddles...maybe I will even post one eventually. Keep writing!

BookWolf says...

Thank you, crissymarx! :D I agree with you about the beginning. I'll change it.... eventually. :P

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 am
emmals16 wrote a review...

Bookwolf,

I dug through every comment to see if I was right lol.

I thought this was a fun way to write a poem, I haven't seen anyone use one in this way before so well done with creativity, even if you've written one of these before.

It got a bit easy about half way through the poem but then again I am a nerd lol :).

I think you should try to do another one. This was very well written.

Keep up the good work!

BookWolf says...

Haha, I'll definitely write another one. :D And I'll try to make it harder.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:48 pm
Eveningstar says...

Just wanted to say, this is really very well written! Not immediately obvious, but not overly confusing either...its the perfect riddle! But change the rhymes on the first two lines, though, they don't sit well with the rest.

Apart from that,this is quite brilliant! Well done! :)

BookWolf says...

Thank you! :D

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 pm
kingofeli wrote a review...

Ahh, I happened to scroll down and find that it was a lion before I got the chance to figure it out x.x but this was a very good riddle, and it was quite difficult! I probably wouldn't have ended up guessing it, as I'm not very good at riddles, haha. I like the clarity of the riddle; the clues and details are clear enough so that you know that it's staying on one topic, but it's just tough enough so that you can't get it right away. It was a well-crafted poem and riddle, and I enjoyed reading it and trying to figure out what it was before I reached the end. The way the humans at a zoo were described was funny to me as well.

I give it a 9/10. Keep on writing!

BookWolf says...

Haha, thanks for the review! :D I'm glad you liked it. And yeah, I had fun coming up with a way to describe the humans at the end. :D

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 pm
Aley wrote a review...

Hey BookWolf!

This is actually the first poem I've read of yours, and being that it is a riddle, I'm not going to be completely critiquing it as I would critique a poem. Simply put, it's a different type of poem then what I'm used to writing, sort of like a lyrics are not my best choice. Moving on though, this is about your riddle and how to make it better.

First off, I think the thing this riddle is lacking is a bit of the mystery. We need to have something in it that's hard to put together with the rest, which sort of throws the other clues out of order. This is to avoid people guessing it really quickly and to keep people thinking. It's usually something abstract, and a word trick.

I think that's all I really have to say about it being a riddle though. Otherwise, I'm just going to comment on how it sounds. I feel like it's too long, we have a lot of details in here that make this poem less fun to read because they reveal too much. The main thing I want to point out though is how your first two lines lead us to expect something that doesn't get delivered.

I have a pelt of gold,
We are taught with this set of lines to expect end-rhyme, but that doesn't happen for the rest of the poem. This to me makes the first lines jarring because they're out of place. We have to transition between expecting rhymes, to not expecting rhymes, and that takes a couple lines of distraction away from the poem.

In poetry, the key, at least to me, is consistency. If you start something, you should see it through, so if you start rhyming, you should rhyme until the end, or if you BREAK that rhyme, you should have a reason to jar the reader and make them read the line where they were jarred, again. Know what you're doing with consistency, so when you want to break it, you already know the affect it is going to have on the reader. The first lines of any poem are going to set the readers expectations up, just like the title will. I expected a riddle so I sort of expected rhyme, and I got it, but then it was gone and I was left hanging, which left the sounds of the riddle dissatisfying. If you made us expect a riddle, then didn't give us a rhyme to start with, we'd be better off because we would realize that it's not that type of riddle.

So overall, consistency is key and you could probably use trimming to get away from people guessing right away.

Hope to see you around ^^
-Aley

BookWolf says...

Wow, I appreciate the review, Aley. :) I admit that I'm probably not that great at riddles, but that's why I keep writing them; so I can get better. Maybe you'll like my next riddle I publish.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:08 pm
Snazzy says...

A LION?!?! :D I didn't look at the other comment yet! :) I love these!! :D :D
~Snazzy :D

Snazzy says...

*looks at other comment* YES!!! :D I got it!! :)

BookWolf says...

Lol, I guess this one is pretty easy. :D Thanks for reading it! <3

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:35 pm
Firepower13 says...

Lion!

BellaRoma says...

Exactly what I was going to guess...

BookWolf says...

Yup. :D

Firepower13 says...

:)

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson