Randy's Point of View from "The Outsiders" (the fountain scene)

by musicandme

"Hurry up Randy!" I heard Bob call. 

It was pretty late at night and once again, Bob was on the prowl. I heard him talking about some Greasers who picked up his girl and, well he wasn't exactly happy about it. As I jumped into the Madra, a sudden pang fell in my stomach. I couldn't tell why, I'd never been one to back down in a fight before. I told myself I was just tired and it would wear off soon. I fell asleep for what felt like a minute and then we were there and getting out of the car. 

"Hey look, it's the Greasers who picked up our girls! Hey Greasers." 

Everyone laughed at the sight of them then. Oh no, I thought. Oh no, no, no, no, no, no. This time I recognized these two. Ponyboy Curtis and Johnny Cade. I knew the story about Ponyboy. I remembered the day his parents died in that crash. He must have felt awful and being a Greaser and all, it couldn't have been real easy. I heard Ponyboy try to talk back, but the laughing just kept on coming from my side of the lot. Bob thought it'd be funny to dunk Ponyboy, and I almost screamed "NO!", but my mouth wouldn't let the words fall out. Man was I scared. I couldn't do nothin though. All I could do was watch. Watch as once again, Soc and Greaser worlds collided, leaving me smack in the middle of it. The only other thing that was bothering me more was why I cared so much. I'd never thought about how dirty, awful, and filthy it'd be to live as a Greaser. It hit me now. I was too nice to be a Soc. I didn't like braggin' off and showin' off to people. For goodness sake, I hated being what I was! I mean, I had problems, I had issues and everyone just thought I was fine living like I was. No one ever gives a thought about how rough a Soc's life could be and no one cared about the Greasers either. 

I had to get out. How though? How was I supposed to escape the terror in front of me? I really couldn't. I was forced to sit there and face it sad as it was. I saw Bob shove Ponyboy. Then I saw him push him into the water, face first and hold him there for a long time. Too long of a time. I wanted to do something becau—— Bob suddenly hit the ground with a thuddering thwack. I didn't know what happened, all of a sudden, Bob was gone. He was dead! I looked up only to see Johnny standing there with a look of genuine horror at what he had just done. Ponyboy gasped for air and conked out next to the fountain. The Socs ran away while I stalled for a minute. I ran to Ponyboy. He looked helpless lying there, unconscious. I said a silent prayer for him in my head and ran away knowing if I stayed there, I'd be, gosh who knows what would have happened to me. I'd have been disowned from the Socs, cast out at school, the Greasers might have not even taken me in. 

The trouble was this dumb town. Everyone torn left and right about who they should be, who they should follow, what they should do. It was all dumb. While I walked home, the thought from the car had never left me. Again, I knew I had to get out and this time, for real. As I went home, I realized then I couldn't do anything about it. The truth of it crushed me. 

Now, I'm not the deepest guy you'll meet, but I'm not the shallowest either. My thoughts had lead me to my decisions not a "jump the gun" or "drop of a hat" kind of reactions like Bob or other Socs, but my own. If I couldn't do anything with my physical actions, my mind was the only thing I had left. I would change my outlook on Greasers, maybe I could even change the Socs. I began to doubt myself soon after the thought crossed my mind. I'll change myself. Maybe I just needed to be more, tuff, yeah, that's it! No, no again. Or I could be really, really thoughtful! Again, that didn't seem to suit me, to suit who I was. Maybe, I could, be... myself? That thought finally settled in my mind. I recognized that was it after all. I wasn't not being myself before, I just wasn't acknowledging all of me, all of Randy. For Randy wasn't your typical Soc. The one I knew now was smart and witty and caring unlike the previous monster who went around not thinking of others. Somehow, I thought, maybe the Greasers thought the same things. Maybe they struggled to find themselves too. I mean, after all, what's the difference between finding and losing yourself?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:58 am
therichalder wrote a review...

Wow, I just love The Outsiders! I find this take on Randy's POV very interesting. It makes me wonder whether all Socs are like that. It just makes me think that maybe they all have another side to them that they don't show. The Outsiders was definitely the best book they ever made us read in school, and this reminds me of the prose strongly. I especially loved the last line. No matter how good a story is, I always take care to notice the last line. This was a truly excellent last line. I could feel its resonance speak through everything else. It's probably the sort of thing you could stick to the back of a novel synopsis.
Randy proves to be really wise in this piece, considering how he wants to stop Bob and his thoughts on one's self. After all, the Socs don't really act "themselves," if you get what I mean. The whole time, they're trying to be someone they're not. It's like how the Greasers are no one but themselves, and the Socs are anyone but themselves. It's truly an interesting take on what it was like in the 60s between the social groups. Because, no matter what day and age it is, the conflict is applicable to current problems. It revolves around "us and them." The two groups that conflict. Randy's the only Soc, besides Cherry, who really sees the other side to a matter. Like Ponyboy, he doesn't see two different groups. He sees people. It's as simple as that.
I still wonder if Randy sees Bob as a friend. I mean, in this piece, he refers to Bob negatively. However, in The Outsiders, he never seemed to act hostile towards Bob. He only seemed to pity him, as if Bob just made a fool's mistake. However, he still seemed to consider Bob a friend in The Outsiders, even after Bob's death. And I find it quite touching that Ponyboy understands what he's going through. Just like what Randy had already been thinking, Ponyboy can immediately see what Randy meant. In the end, this work really reflected what The Outsiders meant about morals and finding one's self.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:27 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Hey there, and welcome to YWS! Knight Wolfie is here for a Green Room review.

Aw, I love this book! By reading this story, you've made me want to read the novel again.

You did an awesome job with Randy's point of view. I was really impressed with how you described his feelings about the Socs and and the Greasers. I loved this line:

Maybe I just needed to be more, tuff, ya, that's it! No, no again.

The use of The Outsider's classic "tuff" was especially humorous. Normally, however, I think that "ya" is spelled as "yeah." If you were only trying to emphasize Randy's personality in some way, though, feel free to keep it as it is. I think that it also depends on your writing style.
Watch as once again, Soc and Greaser worlds collided leaving me smack in the middle of it.

For easier reading, there should be a comma after "collided."

It seems odd that Bob's death was hardly even mentioned. Randy explains his feelings about himself, but how does he feel about his friends death?

Other than that, the only other thing I can say is that your paragraphs could be split up. But as you already explained that there were some technical issues, I have nothing more to critique on. This was a fantastic read, filled with action and in-depth thoughts. Keep up the great writing! :D

musicandme says...

Thanks for the awesome review!! Good pointers, I changed some. Let me know if you have any ideas you think I'd do good with. Thanks again!

Wolfi says...

Good! I see what you changed, and Bob's death is clearer. But remember Randy's feelings about it all. That last paragraph is filled with his feelings, but they are almost entirely feelings about himself. What you've written in that paragraph is really good, but you might want to insert some of his thoughts about Bob. Maybe you can relate it to this: Bob is gone because he acted like this, yet that is how I want to act, like a true Soc. Is that really the best thing? Does that kind of make sense?

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:10 pm
emeraldfox wrote a review...

Welcome to YWS! PM me if you need anything.

I really loved this scene! The Outsiders is one of my favorite books and I always thought Randy was an interesting character that had more depth to him than on the surface. I thought you did a great job capturing Randy's dilemma in this scene. I especially loved the last sentence you wrote. "I mean, after all, what's the difference between finding and loosing yourself."

Some corrections/suggestions:
1. In the last sentence, "loosing" should say "losing."
2. I think this might be easier to read if it were broken into paragraphs. When there is dialogue, you need a seperate paragraph for each speaker. It might also work here if you put in a new paragraph each time Randy switched from his inner thoughts to narrating the action with Bob, Ponyboy, and Johnny.

Great job; I really liked this. Write some more stories because I'd love to read them!

*Likes*

musicandme says...

Thank you so much!! Yah, this was for school but I was happy with it. It was slit up into separate paragraphs in pages format, but got all messed up when I transferred it. I love your work also, especially "Purple Skittle Girl"!

emeraldfox says...

I've had some issues with the spacing not working on this site, too. And thank you!

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki