Foxglove: Chapter Three

by Dracula

I wake up on the couch slightly confused at first, then I remember why I'm not in my bed. The injured banished is draped out on my coffee table. Yesterday morning I pulled out the bullet and bandaged his shoulder. I think I did a rubbish job- I probably broke more skin than I fixed- but he's still breathing. I watch his chest going up and down, up and down and I begin to question why I'm treating him like an animal. Surely he'd be more comfortable in my parent's old bedroom, rather than on a table.

I'm broken on my thoughts when there's a loud banging on my front door. "Hunters! Open up for a minute!"

Crap. They know he's here and they've come to kill the both of us. The guy for being a banished, and me for helping him. "I'm not dressed!" I shout the first excuse which comes to mind.

The hunter bangs on the door again, "I want to go have breakfast! Just put a housecoat on and come to the door!" I'd like to slap that impatient swine.

I put a housecoat on like he said, just to hide the fact that I actually am dressed. I then quickly pull the living room door shut to hide the banished (if there's really any point in hiding him) and run down to the front door.

I open the door and the hunter is standing there, grinning. "You look like you're in a hurry," he says to me. I'm in a hurry?

"You look like you'd rather be in town eating." I lean against the door frame slightly to take away any suggestion that he can come in. "Why are you here?"

The hunter folds his arms and all traces of a smile disappear. "We shot a banished in your backyard yesterday. I've come to collect the body."

So he doesn't know I saved him? I relax a bit and raise my eyebrows, "I didn't see anyone, you must have missed."

"Missed?" He almost spits in my face, "I don't miss."

"Well there's no one in my garden, I'd know."

"Foxglove," he speaks sternly. "I know that no one visits you-" He laughs slightly. "I know that no one ever visits you. But when we do, you don't have the right to put on such an attitude."

I force a smile, but I just look annoyed, "I'm very sorry. I haven't seen a banished and I just want to get dressed."

"Alright," the hunter begins walking away. "Get dressed. The banished must've crawled back into he forest."

I watch him walk down the hill, just to make sure he actually does leave. From my front door I can see the whole town, the docks and the ocean. Nothing interesting ever goes on, but I guess it's always a good idea to keep an eye on people. You know, that old saying, keep your enemies closer. Not to say that I keep them close, but I can always see them if I have to.

I slam the door shut when the hunter is out of my sight and let out a sigh of relief. I walk past the numerous paintings of flowers hammered onto the walls and enter the living room. I jump in fright when I see that the banished is sitting up on the table, staring at me.

He smiles, "Thanks. I owe you one."

Is it too late for me to grab a gun? "You're welcome." My voice is tense and I eye him suspiciously.

He obviously senses my uneasiness because he raises his hands in surrender. "I'm not going to kill you, heck, I'm in no shape to do that. I'm not going to rape you, cut you, shout at you or do anything else that those barbarians might have warned you about."

I can't help but feel angry at him. Here he is on my coffee table, his shoulder shredded, and he's talking like he's in control over me? "I'm not going to kill you, rape, cut or shout at you," I add quickly.

"I know, you just saved my life." Even though we're metres away, he slowly reaches out a hand to me, "Arthur."

I walk towards him and shake it, "Foxglove."

"Like the flower?" he asks. I nod. "Cool. You've got a lot in common with it. Mainly your beauty."

"I have a gun, don't flirt with me."

He shakes his head, "I'm not flirting. I'm trying to be kind, like you were to me." He uses his good arm to push himself off the table so he's standing up. "Shall I give myself the grand tour, or..."

Yep, I'm still angry at him. This is my house and he's my guest. Actually, he's my prisoner. There's still time for me to hand him over. "Just sit. Don't leave this room. Do what I say. There's people out there who would like to paint a picture with your blood."

Arthur bows his head like a defeated puppy and says quietly, "I'm at your mercy, boss."

I leave him and walk up the stairs to my bedroom, though I've got my hears open. If I hear him leave that living room I'll hand him straight over. Actually, that won't work, they'll still kill me for taking him in the first place. I'll have to kill him and dump his body in the forest.

My bedroom still looks like a nursery. Seeing as my parents died when I was a baby, they didn't exactly have time to make it suit a teenager. I've created a bed that's comfortable enough with old packing crates and a mattress. There's a beanbag in the corner which I use for reading, and my old cot is used as a place to throw my clothes.

I let my body fall down onto the beanbag and contemplate what's happened. I'd never even seen a banished before, now there was one just downstairs. I'd never had anyone knock on my door before, now that had happened just minutes ago. My life was getting seriously messed up all at once and it was thanks to that guy called Arthur.

My head jerks towards the door as I hear a light banging coming from below. That idiot is moving around! I slam my bedroom door shut and race down the stairs.

He's standing right at the bottom of them. Before I can begin swearing at him he simply says, "Sorry, but I need to pee."

I clench my left hand into a fist, rolling my eyes, and use my right arm to point towards the back door. "Fine. Go outside, in the forest. Don't even touch my plants."

"Those barbarians might be in he forest."

He calls us barbarians? I guess it makes sense; we have a name for them so they have a name for us. "You better make sure they don't see you then."

He shrugs and makes his way outside. I stay standing on the stairs, watching him leave. I'm half wishing that the hunters would find him, but I'm half wishing that he'd come back and keep me company.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:13 am
megsug wrote a review...

Hey again, Jazzy!

We've got some pretty good development working here. I'm going to dive in.

But when we do, you don't have the right to put on such an attitude.

This just seems like a jerkfaced thing to say, and I'm not really sure it can stand up to scrutiny. It is her house... Do they have laws about what kind of attitude you can have too?

On another note, why does he knock on her door at all? If he shot the banished in the yard and then didn't see him there wouldn't he come to the conclusion that the banished had gone back into the forest by himself. If he did knock on the door, wouldn't it be much more suspicious since he would probably be suspecting her of taking in a banished?

keep your enemies closer

She considers the townsfolk enemies? What did they do to make her hate them so much? I mean, she hates them enough to isolate herself, sneer at local customs (marrying at 16), and be a jerk to these people in general. That takes some prior history, me thinks.

You've got a lot in common with it. Mainly your beauty

What else could he possibly mean other than her beauty? Your reader can imply some things for themselves.

I'm not flirting. I'm trying to be kind, like you were to me.

Suuuuuure. ;)

Yep, I'm still angry at him.

Wait... She's angry at him? Since when? For what? For getting shot? You might want to mention her anger before now.

I'd never had anyone knock on my door before

...Ever? In sixteen years there's never been another reason for someone to knock on her door? How did Dominic get to know her? How does she know that she needs to go to the town for food or to check in? Why does she go to the town at all if no one has come to her?

One last question, why doesn't she just kick Arthur out? Why doesn't Arthur just go back to the banished? Doesn't that make the most sense for both of them?

Alright, so. I do like the idea of isolated child having to deal with another being in her household. I'm sure that will cause tension and excitement and character building in the near future. I'm still interested in seeing where this is all headed which is good since that's how you want your reader to be~

Chapter 4, here I come,
Megs~

jazzydracula says...

Thanks for reviewing them all! Some of your questions (about Arthur not going back, Domonic knowing her, etc) will be answered as Foxglove discovers things. But a lot of your questions are legit and I'll rewrite this whole thing in a few years when I'm better at writing. XD

megsug says...

Sweet! Can't wait to see what's in store.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:47 pm
Sins wrote a review...

Hey jazzy! I saw you post the third and fourth chapter for this in the Will Review For Food Forum when I was lurking said forum earlier, so I figured I'd come check those chapters out! I've read the first and second chapters, so I'm as clued up as possible on what's going on.

So to start things off, I'm going to say that I think your story has a lot of potential. It's 100% the kind of thing I like to read, so I enjoyed this overall. I really like the idea of Foxglove living in an isolated house, and how the town looks down on her for not being married at sixteen. It's all a very interesting concept, and so I think this could become something pretty awesome. I do have a something I want to bring up regarding the last chapter before I get started on the critiques for this one, so I'll start there.

I think this was in the last chapter anyway, where Foxglove went to sleep next to her parents' graves? While she was there, she seemed to comment an awful lot on how she didn't know her parents, and just generally gave the impression that she was more or less indifferent towards them. You give a similar impression in this chapter. I just find it odd that if Foxglove really is as indifferent towards them as she makes out, why would she go and sleep next to their graves? It seems like you'd have to be pretty connected to someone to sleep by their graves, y'know? Just something to think about, I guess.

Now in regard to the overall novel so far, I'm really curious to find out who looked after Foxglove as a child. I mean, you said her parents died when she was a baby and, well, a baby can't exactly feed, change, water e.t.c itself. So someone must've had to look after her. Even if she simply went into some kind of care, that's fine, just maybe mention that somewhere. It's not a major issue or anything, but if you don't cover it in the next few chapters, I'd suggest bringing that in somewhere.

Another general comment, which I feel is currently the biggest downfall of this novel, is that your writing is rather fast-paced. I mean, all your chapters are short, but a lot has happened within the first three. We've been introduced to Foxglove, we met Dominic, we learnt about the town, we learnt about the way humans are treated, Foxglove found Arthur, the hunters came knocking at her door, and Arthur woke up. I just want you to slow things down, y'know? Something as simple as elongating chapters would help, I think. Spend more time on the details of what's going on, take your time. Really describe every event and every character in detail--not so much so that you info-dump, but just spend more time on scenes, y'know?

As for this chapter specifically, I must say that Arthur is in a very good state considering he was just shot. I mean, when you describe Foxglove finding him he's in a real state with blood everywhere. As a result, I find it a little unrealistic how he's walking around, cracking gags, and being all chatty. The guy's just been shot, surely he'd be at least somewhat worse for wear? You don't have to make him seem like he's on his death bed or anything, but just make it a little more obvious that he has just been shot.

Another nit-pick I have regarding this chapter is that I find it odd that Foxglove would have just left Arthur downstairs. I mean, for the entirety of this chapter she kept commenting on how wary she was of him, and it was clear that she was unsure of his trustworthiness. As a result, it seemed extremely strange to me that she just went upstairs and left him to his own devices. I mean, he could've done anything. He could've stolen a load of stuff and left, attacked her when she wasn't looking e.t.c. It just seems strange to me that she left him alone downstairs.

All of my whining aside, I am really enjoying this novel so far. I should get to the next chapter some time today, or if not within the next few days, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm intrigued to find out what is going to happen between Foxglove and Arthur, and I think you have good chemistry between them.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Tealessence wrote a review...

Tealessence back for reviewing!

As I’ve done before, I’m going to make suggestions as well as comments, or I might just illustrate my reaction to things. That way you can see if you’re getting the reactions you want. : )

“The injured banished is draped out on my coffee table.” Excellent descriptive language here.

“…and I begin to question why I'm treating him like an animal.” Another illustration of Foxglove’s conflicted feelings about the banished. Interesting.

“Crap. They know he's here and they've come to kill the both of us. The guy for being a banished, and me for helping him."I'm not dressed!" I shout the first excuse which comes to mind.” Firstly, I thought the word ‘crap’ was quite the understated emotion of such a moment. Perhaps if you used the following instead: “No.” And have that itself be its own paragraph for extra emphasis. The following text, except for maybe “they know he’s here” is rather redundant as we already know that it would be suicide to interfere with the customs regarding the banished. Aside from deleting that text, I would also put Foxglove’s shouting “I’m not dressed!” on another paragraph.

“I'd like to slap that impatient swine.” Hmm… I’m not sure if this thought should occur when Foxglove is in a state of panic.

“I then quickly pull the living room door shut to hide the banished (if there's really any point in hiding him) and run down to the front door.” Most of the time I tell people to ditch the parentheses as they are usually unnecessary and distracting, but they actually work here. Nice. Note: At this point I think a small detail of Foxglove’s panic could be added for even more effect, something such as: “I open the door, my stomach in a twist, and the hunter…” etc. You get my point.

“I open the door and the hunter is standing there, grinning.” I feel like I want an adverb here. Grinning… darkly? Something among those lines. Depends on how you want to portray him.

“I'm in a hurry?” Once again I’m not sure if this internal detail is appropriate given Foxglove’s panicked state.

“So he doesn't know I saved him? I relax a bit…” I wouldn’t use the word “relax” here; I think an illustration of her ‘relaxing a bit’ would have a better effect. Something such as: “My grip on the doorframe loosened a bit.”

“ "I didn't see anyone, you must have missed." ” I love her attitude towards the hunter. She clearly isn’t the shy, mousy type.

“ "Well there's no one in my garden, I'd know." ” I’m pretty sure this sentence is a comma splice. She’s saying that she would know if someone were in her garden, right? In that case that comma should be a period. I also think it would sound better if she worded it something like this: “I would know if there were/was (I’m not sure whether to use were or was here, sorry).

“I force a smile, but I just look annoyed…” How can she tell if she looks annoyed? Seeing as she’s not in front of a mirror. : ) Maybe rephrase that into something like: “I attempt a smile, but can only mold my mouth into a thin line.”

“…the hunter begins walking away.” I think the word “begins” here is unnecessary. Unless he stops walking away, there is no need for it.

“ "Get dressed. The banished must've crawled back into he forest." ” I really like the voice you created for the hunter. Your word choices make him sound severe and rude. Good characterization.

“You know, that old saying, keep your enemies closer.” The word ‘you’ really stuck out at me here. It distracts me because it makes me think for a moment that we’re in 2nd person POV, which we’re not. Instead, you could say, “As the saying goes…”.

“Not to say that I keep them close, but I can always see them if I have to.” I like this little snippet. It shows more about Foxglove’s character.

“Is it too late for me to grab a gun?” Oh wow. She really is conflicted!

“ "I'm not going to kill you, heck, I'm in no shape to do that…” ” Comma splice. The comma after “you” and before “heck” should be a period or a semicolon.

“ "Shall I give myself the grand tour, or..." ” Haha! For a banished, he’s got quite the attitude as well!

“Arthur bows his head like a defeated puppy…” I think you can cut out the word ‘puppy’ here. It doesn’t seem to fit. Also, this action from him is completely the opposite of the spunky attitude you just showed. Perhaps illustrate the transition of his emotion? Example: “Arthur cringes at my words, and then defeatedly bows his head…”

“…though I've got my hears open.” Typo. Ears.

“…I'll have to kill him and dump his body in the forest.” That’s quite an extreme thought; perhaps you could consider illustrating further her conflicted emotions? Something as simple as “I’ll have to kill him and dump his body in the forest. My teeth clenched at the thought.”

“I've created a bed that's comfortable enough with old packing crates and a mattress. There's a beanbag in the corner which I use for reading…” There’s a sharp, distracting contrast between a bed made out of packing crates and a beanbag chair thing. When I think of beanbag, I think of the modern ones that are all colorful and such. Maybe make it an actual bag of dried beans? She does store up food for quite a while, so a big bag of beans would be credible in my opinion. I don’t know. Something besides beanbag.

“…and my old cot is used as a place to throw my clothes.” You switched to passive voice here when you said “is used”. Instead, it would be better to use active voice and say “I use my old cot as…”

“I'd never even seen a banished before, now there was one just downstairs.” Comma splice. I think a semicolon would work best here.

“My life was getting seriously messed up all at once and it was thanks to that guy called Arthur.” Oh? She’s blaming him for being a banished? Interesting.

“I clench my left hand into a fist, rolling my eyes, and use my right arm to point towards the back door.” I found the phrase “and use my right arm…” quite distracting. Perhaps if you said “one hand into a fist” and “my other hand”?

“ "Don't even touch my plants." ” Haha, I like this. She really values her plants. It’s really good to show that your main character has interests, hobbies, etc. that would still exist if the plot didn’t happen.

“He calls us barbarians?” “Us”? I thought he was referring to the hunters. Foxglove isn’t a hunter.

“He shrugs and makes his way outside.” I think shrugging is a bit too laid-back for him at this point, seeing as him going outside is going to put his life in danger. Maybe instead: “His back stiffens and he makes his way outside.”

“…but I'm half wishing that he'd come back and keep me company.” This kind of surprised me. In a good way. So Foxglove is lonely; she’s not always tough as nails. Good to show vulnerability. And I think ending the chapter on that note is perfect!

Onward to the next chapter!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:40 pm
theironnovelist wrote a review...

hmmm...
I'm beginning to become a fan of this series!
You have a really good sense of voice; I feel attached to Foxglove, the narrator, now, which is a great thing.
And I'm loving the new characters. They, too, have their own style and voice.

One thing I'll say that I might like to see a bit more of (later on) is having characters show their personality through mannerisms as well as just dialogue.

Great job; I don't really have much else to pick on.
Keep it up!

~iron.n

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind