16+ Language Mature Content

The Boy Who Broke Mirrors (Chapter Two)

by Sins

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

The Boy Who Broke Mirrors

(Chapter Two)

This isn’t real, this isn’t happening. All of tonight is a dream. It has to be. Robbie’s frantically blabbering on the phone but I can’t hear a word he’s saying because the blood rushing in my head is too loud. Aiden’s staring emptily at Zack, who's progressively looking worse and worse. Robbie’s muffled voice rings in my ears, and I slowly turn my eyes to him. I lock them onto his face for a few seconds before wavering back to Zack, who’s still lying lifelessly on the ground. I exhale a lungful of air.

“No…” I mutter to myself. “No.” I say it louder this time.

This is a joke, isn’t it? The two most heartless idiots known to mankind thought it’d be hilarious to fake something as serious as this, and they figured it’d be even more hilarious to fool two strangers they’ve never even met before. I clench my teeth. The anger that had settled was bubbling up all over again. This isn’t funny. This is really not funny.

I’m going to beat them at their own game.

I bend down and kneel next to Zack with the most convincing distressed expression I can muster up, and lean in closer to him. He’s a pretty damn good actor, I’ll give him that. Our previous encounter in the bathroom replays in my mind and I tense every muscle in my body. I’ll show him what’s funny, I’ll show him that he can’t scare me and get away with it. I breathe in as I slowly move my hand towards his face, and pause briefly. Then I smack him as hard as I can, right across his cheek.

And he does nothing.

Not even a twitch.

“What the hell are you doing?” Robbie snaps at me.

I ignore him.

“Hey!” I hiss at Zack. “Hey, quit it! You’re not bloody funny, give it up!”

“Eff, what are you doing?” Aiden grabs my arm and tries to pull me back up. I shove him away.

I shake Zack. Nothing. Robbie’s back on the phone, muttering an apology to whoever’s on the other side. Has he actually called emergency services? I shake Zack again. Still nothing. This is all a joke, it has to be. I hiss Zack’s name. No response.

What’s happening?

“Is he still not breathing?” Robbie hastily asks me, Aiden’s phone still pressed against his ear. I don’t respond, I just stare. “For God’s sake, is he? They need to know!”

I place my ear by his mouth. More nothing. I turn back to Robbie and shake my head as a stammer escapes my mouth. He’s not. He’s actually not breathing. He could be holding his breath, right? He must be, this can’t be real, he has to be breathing.

“Shit, Eff, we did this at school, remember?” Aiden’s voice makes me jump. He’s kneeling beside me. I hadn’t even noticed. “First aid, recovery position, y’know all that. I don’t remember, I can’t… I don’t know.”

He begins panicking and grabs Zack’s arms. He moves them around in different directions, none of which are anywhere near correct. The music blasting from the house is deafening me, and the smell of the humid summer air is intoxicating my brain.

This is happening. This is as real as the flesh on my bones.

I shove Aiden aside and recall as much as I possibly can from the countless first aid lessons we were made to endure at school. Robbie's finished his phone call and he practically dives onto the ground with his. He starts frantically shaking Zack.

“Stop! Don’t be violent with him, it’ll make him worse!” I shout.

“You’re the one who just punched him in the goddamn face!” Robbie growls back.

While he has a fair point, now is really not the time to be arguing. I turn back to Zack. He’s even paler. I figure we should do CPR but the mention of that to Robbie makes him squirm, and I can’t say I’m too eager either. I turn to Aiden, and I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful for his obsession over dickheads with quiffs because he has no arguments whatsoever. If there wasn’t an eighteen-year-old dying in front of us, it’d probably make me laugh.

“Ah shit… Shit, shit, shit,” Robbie mutters. “My folks are going to kill me. What if his parents sue me? Can they do that if he dies?”

Is Robbie kidding? His best friend is dying in front of us and all he can think of is how much of an inconvenience it might be. Jesus. Aiden’s in the middle of the CPR, which he’s doing surprisingly well, when we hear a splutter. Zack. Aiden pulls away and we all turn silent. Zack splutters some more, but his eyes remain shut. The music from the house is giving me a headache.

“Check if he’s breathing,” I order Aiden.

He does what I tell him to. “I think so, I don’t know… I mean, I can’t really hear because the mus--”

I shove Aiden aside again and check for myself. It’s hardly distinguishable, but as I lower my ear to Zack’s mouth I feel hot air gently blow against it. He’s breathing. It worked. The CPR actually worked. All of a sudden, I become my father and develop an intense need to tell everyone exactly what to do.

“Robbie, get everyone out of your house. It’ll be ten times easier if they’re all gone when the ambulance gets here, and turn the bloody music off while you’re at it. It’s awf--”

“I’m not taking orders from some--”

“Just do it!” I snap before turning to Aiden. “The ambulance won’t be able to get into here because of the electric gates, so go and open them, we can’t waste any time.”

Aiden nods, and unlike Robbie, does exactly as he’s told. He jumps to his feet and sprints down the long driveway. Robbie still hasn’t moved. I give him orders again and he mutters something under his breath, but eventually heads towards his house.

“Zack?” I gently shake the limp body in front of me. “Hey, can you hear me? I will be so pissed off if I never get the chance to tell you how much of a dickhead you are, so don’t you dare die on me, okay?”

There’s no response. I check again that he’s still breathing. He is. I exhale heavily. I continue blathering on as I grasp onto the belief that it’ll actually help him at all, but there’s still a part of me that can’t accept this as reality. This is Zack Maddox, and Zack Maddox can’t just… He can’t just die. He’s invincible. He’s on every social networking site known to mankind, everyone and their dog has heard of him, and you can’t miss him from a mile off. People like this don’t just die. I shake my head. No, he’s not going to die, I can’t let him. No matter what he did to me no more than two hours ago, I can’t let him die.

I rest my palm on his forehead. I didn’t even notice before but he’s freezing. He’s sweating an entire ocean though. I whip my jacket off and drape it over him as I try to cover as much of his bare skin as possible. I gently shake him again, and as I’m about to speak the music emanating from the house comes to a sudden stop. I must’ve forgotten what silence was because as it crashes down on me, it stuns me. My heartbeat has never been so loud. I’m about to try and rouse Zack again when I notice his eyelids fluttering slightly.

“Zack?” I shake him. “Zack, hey, wake up!”

His eyelids flutter again, and his lips part. He takes a strained breath, and speaks.

“I… I don’t, it--it was an accident. He’s.. I don’t--he’s bleeding, I can’t stop him bleeding, why won’t he stop bleeding? I--”

“Is that Zack?”

I whip my head around, and about ten feet away from me stands a young girl with blonde hair. She can’t be any older than thirteen. Before I can respond she shouts in the direction of the house.

“Shit,” I mutter under my breath.

A few more people emerge and stand next to the blonde girl. More follow, and before long there’s a small group beginning to form. They begin gossiping, some begin laughing, some look like they’re on the verge of crying, and some even pull put their phones to take a photo. I can’t believe what I’m seeing. This isn’t a show. 

As the group expands even more, some come forward and kneel next to Zack, just as I’m doing. I’m suddenly shoved aside by a frantic girl wearing the shortest dress imaginable, and before I know it I can’t even see Zack anymore. I stumble to my feet and look around me. Shit. Almost everyone who was in the house now seems to be crowded around Zack. Robbie did a cracking job then.

“Oh my god, someone call an ambulance!” one of the younger crowd members yells.

Already done that, kiddo.

“I just found him here! No one was around to help, it’s disgusting!” someone who’s now kneeling beside Zack shouts.

I don’t think you did though, did you?

“I swear I just saw him, like, five minutes ago!”

“Where’s Robbie?”

“Has anyone called an ambulance?”

“He’s dead!”

As I shove people out of the way to try and get back to Zack I notice the first girl who appeared earlier, who’s now kneeling beside him, harshly moving him out of the recovery position I placed him in.

“Stop!” I shout at her, but she can’t hear me over the chatter of the crowd.

I charge forward, eventually reaching Zack again, and move the girl out of the way. As I place him back into position I hear sirens. An enormous sense of relief washes over me, and I check that he’s still breathing. It’s shallow, but it’s there. The second I see reflective jackets emerging through the crowd, I step aside and hide myself amongst the mass of teenagers gathered in Robbie Morrissey’s front garden.

#

It’s strange seeing somewhere that was once so full of life so empty. There are deserted cups spilled all over the kitchen floor, and next to the fridge lies a packet of pink marshmallows. There’s an uneaten pizza just lying on the marble counter and it feels like it’s staring at me, like it’s questioning where everyone disappeared to. I’m staring back at it when I hear Aiden’s voice for what feels like the first time in forever.

“There you are! Holy mackerel Effie, I’ve been scouring the garden looking for you, almost filed a missing person’s report and all! Have you been in the bloody house the whole time? You don’t half know how to stress a guy out.” He pulls up a chair next to me. “This is insane, can you believe it? Like, it’s bad and all that and I hope Zack’s fine, but how exciting is this? I tweeted about it and literally got about thirty retweets, I’m practically famous.”

Is he serious?

“I can’t wait to tell everyone about how we were Zack’s saviour, I mean how good will that make us look for when we start college next month? And hey, I technically kissed Zack Maddox. If anyone questions you about it just say I did, oka--”

“You’re just as bad as them!”

Aiden stammers. Zack could be dead. He could be dead, and all anyone seems to be interested in is gossiping about him. The boy made every last inch of my body tremble with anger and fear just hours ago, yet I seem to be the only one who’s even the slightest bit considerate of what’s happened to him. I know how engrossed Aiden can get into this kind of thing, but this is just wrong. I sigh and shut my eyes.

“Sorry,” I mutter. “I’ve just… It’s been a pretty crazy night, and I’m just a bit fed up of everyone around me mindlessly gossiping. It just doesn’t seem right, y’know? Not after what’s happened.”

Aiden scratches the back of his neck and nods apologetically. We’re both silent for a while, and it gives me time to think. The ambulance must’ve gotten here close to half an hour ago now, and most people have left. I’ve no idea where Robbie has vanished to, but right now I don’t really care.

“Hey, what was wrong earlier?” Aiden’s voice brings me back to the present. “When you wanted to leave, before we found Zack?”

After all of the hype tonight, what happened in the bathroom has taken a backseat in my mind. Zack wasn’t well then, was he? It was so obvious! He was deathly pale, his eyes were so bloodshot that the veins in them were almost popping out, and he was all over the place. A trickle of guilt gnaws at my mind. I should’ve spotted it then, I could’ve helped him sooner.

I shake my head. There’s no point stressing over it, it’s done. To be frank, he should be grateful I helped him at all after the way he treated me. It’s pretty obvious that he overdosed on who knows what, so if this does end badly for him then it’s his own fault. I shouldn’t feel guilty.

“Effie?”

“Oh sorry,” I say, remembering Aiden’s question. “Just some guy is all. He was creepy with me, it freaked me out a bit.” I pause. “You don’t know him.”

Aiden says something else, but I don’t hear it. I’m just desperate to go to bed. I’ve sent a text to Mum explaining what’s happened so she’s on her way to pick me up, and she can’t come soon enough. I’m staring at the pizza again when I hear a voice that isn’t Aiden’s.

“D’you mind leaving? I need to clean up.”

I turn to the doorway to see Robbie standing there.

“Sorry for being snappy earlier, I was kinda stressed, so yeah, uh, sorry.”

I nod before getting up from the kitchen table, and Aiden follows. It’s only now I realise that Robbie is clearly still very drunk. He’s leaning against the door as if he’ll crumple to the floor if he doesn’t, and he’s blinking at an unnaturally frequent rate. There’s a trickle of sick running down his black shirt.

“That pizza needs eating,” I mutter as Aiden and I leave the room.

Once we’ve left the house, we sit on the steps outside the front door. They’re freezing against my legs. It’s silent again, and I realise that this is the quietest I’ve ever known Aiden to be. What I said earlier about everyone gossiping must’ve really hit him, and I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

It’s not long until Mum arrives to pick us up. The second I step into the car she overloads me with questions. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest because her voice is enough to soothe me. It’s not long before that calm is shaken again though.

“Your dad’s not too happy with you,” Mum says softly. “He’s angry you didn’t tell him you were going to a party, especially one with… well, drugs and all that.”

A tsunami of nerves crashes into my stomach. Dad’s going to kill me tomorrow. I didn’t necessarily lie to him, I just didn’t tell him the details of where it was I was going tonight… or that I was going out at all. In my defence, he always wants to know every detail on every single thing I do, and it’s just better not to say anything. Otherwise he finds a handful of things to complain about.

“Don’t worry though, sweetie,” Mum continues. “I’ll make sure to soften him up when he gets home from work.”

Mum winks at me and smiles. Ever since I can remember, that exact smile has always had an incredible ability to stop me from crumbling completely, and tonight is no exception. She’ll stop Dad from going to town on me. God knows how she does it, but she always manages to. I’m just glad he works nights because the last person I want to face when I get home is him.

As we drop Aiden off at his house, a thought hits me. Zack spoke… When he was lying on the grass, he spoke, didn’t he? Before that first girl arrived, he said something. I hastily scan every detail of every memory I have from tonight in an attempt to recall what it was he said. It was weird… Something really weird. What was it? Something to do with blood? Bleeding..? Yeah, that was it; he said that someone was bleeding, that something was an accident. I know I should shrug this off, that chances are it was just something he said in a complete delusion. I can’t though. I don’t know why, but all I can think about for the rest of the journey home are the words Zack spoke as he was dying.

* * * * *

So considering this is the first thing I've written in over a year, I'm aware it's not the best. This chapter wasn't originally planned to be in the novel, but I felt it needed it and I wanted to start writing again, so I figured I'd start with this! I actually started writing this novel in 2012, and so all the chapters I've written so far (there are ten all together) are available in my portfolio, if anyone wants to take a look at them. 

Any reviews are appreciated, I sure as hell need them!

Hello again! I've decided I'm going to work through your novel for June :) I may well pick up one of the others another month but you're first pick so feel honoured! (or something)...

1. The first three sentences are all very short and while they help to build some atmosphere, they're also a bit typical and there's not a really solid tone there. I'd like to see just a bit more characterisation. What if Effie's panic mode/ process? Like, when I'm in full blown panic mode, I usually resort to rationalizing everything first and when that fails then I fall back on promising to any God who may be out there that if I get through this I'll re-evaluate whether I believe in him. We all have our own way of coping with crazy situations and I'm not sure this shows us much about who Effie is.

2.

The anger that had settled was is bubbling up all over again. This isn’t funny. This is really not funny.

3. Okay there's a lot more of her process further on which is good to see! It's kind of both hilarious and horrifying that she thinks this is a joke and you've got a nice balance between those emotions.

4.
Robbie's finished his phone call and he practically dives onto the ground with his. He starts frantically shaking Zack.
I'm not sure about this but don't the emergency people try to keep you on the line and talk you through what to do, like CPR and things? I know they do that a lot on TV and I assume they do that in real life too?

5.
A few more people emerge and stand next to the blonde girl. More follow, and before long there’s a small group beginning to form. They begin gossiping, some begin laughing, some look like they’re on the verge of crying, and some even pull put out their phones to take a photo.

6.
I'm not sure harshly is the right word here as that seems to imply that she knows she's doing harm but I'm guessing she's just a drunk, dumb teen. Maybe roughly would work or even stupidly or maybe even go with gently for the contrast, like she thinks she's helping but really isn't.

7. As much as it's great seeing Effie all heroic, I want to see just a little more of her awesome bluntness as well and when she puts Zack back in the recovery position and sees help is practically here, does she think maybe for a second about taking her jacket back? I find that sometimes those kind of normal selfish thoughts invade your brain even during moments of panic and you have to push them away.

8.
It's not immediately clear whose line this is. I thought it was Effie's at first since it was separated from the rest of Robbie's speech but then she nods so it has to be his? If so, it should be on the same line as his earlier sentence.

9.
In my defence defense, he always wants to know every detail on every single thing I do, and it’s just better not to say anything.

This chapter has a good sense of emotion but I think it's missing a little of Effie's tone and I wonder if she isn't perhaps a bit too heroic? It's always very tempting to have the main character be the moral compass in a novel but I usually prefer it when that guidance comes from a side character or when it's a combination of multiple characters. I'm glad she struggles at the start as that helps to make her more human but once she takes control, from there onwards nobody else does anything right and that makes her good actions stand out even more. Maybe it just needs a description of someone else who's trying to clear room around Zack or of the more sensible people who are hanging back or even just a line about a girl who's crying since that's at least a better reaction than taking photos.

Effie's sarcasm is great though especially when people are claiming to have been the first on the scene/ the first to help and I think this is mostly a solid chapter. I kind of don't want you to focus on Zack's dying words as much as they're alarming enough that the reader remembers them without Effie needing to draw extra attention to them on the way home. It might actually be more powerful if she seems to forget them until something triggers that memory later. The ride home in the car is generally the weakest part of the chapter as it's very tell rather than show and very dialogue light.

Let me know if you have any questions!

~Heather

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:30 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hi babe! I've missed this so much, asdfghjkl, here I am to review as requested. :D

Okay, so not much to nitpick, poo face. Why must you ask me to nitpick when there is nothing TO NITPICK? Nothing at all, as far as I saw. Guess that means I can move on to fangirling, huh? :mrgreen:

OKAY. So. Much much much better than the last chapter two. I loved this so much better. Reason being is it went into much more detail about everything, in my opinion. Of course, I had to reread the end of chapter one to remember what was going on, but once I was caught up... I felt more in touch with this revision than the previous one. Make sense?

For one, you were a lot more descriptive, especially with the entire scene where she was freaking out and hitting Zack. I loved the step by step denial she went through, from "they're tricking me!" to "holy crap, they aren't, whAT DO". I also liked how you showed Robbie's concern/stress/anger, etc. in this scene. He seemed more concerned about Zack's fate in this revision that the last.

I also liked the little tidbit about Aiden being okay to give Zack CPR. I forgot how much I loved that gay wonderboy ♥ also, the mob of the people at the party was brilliant. Accurate. Infuriating, if we're gonna be honest. I wanted Effie to tell them to get lost, but she didn't, of course. -.-

All of it was so nicely written! Much more details, imagery, description, dialogue, etc. I enjoyed all of this and miss this novel, so write more, poopy face. >:(

♥ Iggy

Sins says...

Thanks so much, Iggy! I'm uber-glad you liked this new and improved second chapter :3

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:18 pm
Deanie says...

Hi Skins,

You may not have written in a while but I sure as ever have nothing more to add that people haven't said before. Reading this chapter has made it all rush back and I can remember reading it and love it. So edit all the other chapters and keep posting!

Honestly, this was fab <3 You haven't lost your touch!

Deanie x

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:45 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested.

It's been a while, Skins! Glad to see you back :)

I went back to reread the first chapter, thinking I'd forgotten everything, but I realized I didn't need to. It was all still there in my mind ^_^ So now I'll just get on with it.

because the blood rushing in my head is too loud.

Hm. I'm not sure if 'blood rushing' is actually a sound. I've never heard the description before, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good one. I'd suggest using 'pounding' instead of 'rushing'. It gives that extra effect to really put Effie's feelings and situation over the edge.

I found it quite funny in the beginning where Effie thought it was all a big joke. At first I just felt like yelling at her, telling her how stupid she was. But then when she slapped him, it made me laugh so hard. Like, he's lying there, dying, and she decides to slap him? It's so obvious that it's not a joke. Although, thinking about it, that was probably the most realistic reaction that you could come up with. I know that if I were at a party and saw someone lying outside looking like they were dead, I wouldn't want to believe it was real. I'd probably stand there waiting for them to jump up. And I'm sure many other people would do the same.

Well this definitely interests me. Could Zack actually be talking sense here? Could it possibly be that his mind is still working well enough to tell Effie about something that had happened not too long ago? There are way too many variables to really consider at this point. I guess I'll just have to read on to figure out what the heck he's talking about.

I really don't have anything else to add. Sorry it's such a short review. Your writing is great, as it's always been ;) Your character development is going great. I find it interesting that Effie is super concerned about Zack despite the fact that he totally forced himself upon her in the bathroom. She doesn't even tell Aiden, her best friend, about it. It makes me think that maybe she feels something more towards Zack then she's letting on.

**Noelle**

Sins says...

Thanks Noelle! :3

I'm glad you could remember the first chapter from way back when you read it, I'm sure that's a good sign, haha. I did sort of want Effie's initial reaction to be a little funny and stupid on her part, as an alternative to your typical instant panicked reaction. So long as it isn't stupidly unrealistic, that's cool!

Thanks for all your help anywho, u r awesome. Let me know if you ever want something reviewed, I'll more than happily do it for ya!

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:44 am
Gravity wrote a review...

Hey! Gravity here for another review.
If you get sick of my reviews, let me know.

“Ah shit… Shit, shit, shit,” Robbie mumbles.
Small error. The "shit" after the ellipse needs not be capitalized. And if Robbie's this upset he shouldn't mumble. Maybe mutter is a better word? Idk, I'm nitpicky.

Other than that, this was quite literally perfect. However, I need points so I'm going to outline my fav parts.

There’s an uneaten pizza just lying on the marble counter and it feels like it’s staring at me, like it’s questioning where everyone disappeared to. I’m staring back at it when I hear Aiden’s voice for what feels like the first time in forever
This was great. you used imagery to describe a pizza. A PIZZA. And my first reaction was not to laugh. You are seriously talented.

A small group of people emerge and stand next to the blonde girl. More follow, and before long there’s a small group beginning to form. They begin gossiping, some begin laughing, some look like they’re on the verge of crying, and some even pull put their phones to take a photo. I can’t believe what I’m seeing. This isn’t a show. Then again, I bet Zack would be loving this if he were conscious.

This part almost made me sick. I wanted to scream at all of those people around Zack to get away from him. you evoked a lot of emotion from me at this point which I liked, but you also didn't overdo it. Wonderful :)

I also love your change in tone and in mood. Last chapter it was a little more upbeat with the sarcastic tone and the humor. I really loved that this chapter took a more sinister twist. It was refreshing and it felt more real somehow. It also stuns me that Zack's "illness" didn't just happen in this chapter without warning. In Chapter 1 you hinted that Zack looked ill, he was talking to someone who wasn't there, he was seeing things he shouldn't be seeing. Some authors just go WHAM! Out of nowhere, character is passed out. I like that you made this turn of events unexpected but when I thought about the last chapter I went "oh yeah, that actually makes sense".

So bravo on this chapter. I seriously can't wait to read more, you're incredibly talented.

XOXO,
Gravity

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison