16+ Language Violence Mature Content

The Progeny: Chapter 6

by MissGangamash

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

The hot water drummed against Evie’s back as she played with the temperature knob of the shower numbly. She squinted as she twisted the knob slowly towards the red dot, raising the temperature higher and higher until she winced at the pain.

No. Get off me! I can’t leave him! Let me go!

Her pale back was scorched an ugly red as the almost boiling water hit between her shoulder blades. Her tears were lost in the jet of water and she found herself gasping when she forgot to breathe.

He’s nothing to you, Evie!

So much had changed in so little time. Her pulse sang in her ears almost piercingly loud as her blood temperature rose. The sound was like a physical pain after a hundred years of dead silence. She could feel everything. The throbbing of her back as the hot water pummelled against her. Her thumping heart inside her chest. The cold breeze that hit her side where the water couldn’t reach. And yet…she had never felt so empty in her life.

She sucked in a shuddering breath and hastily knocked off the water, making her skin prickle with goosebumps. Her head felt foggy when she spun around too quickly and her knees gave way under her causing her to stumble out of the shower and drop against the cold tiled floor. There she lay with her knees tucked up against her sobbing so much it made her brain hurt. The cold washed over her like a blanket, making her shiver so much that her teeth clattered together. I’m human now, she thought numbly, this is what it’s like to be human. Weak, sore and vulnerable all the time.

But that wasn’t the worst part. Evie could have dealt with the starburst of pain that made her burning back itch against the cold tile floor. She could have dealt with the sudden head-rush from spinning around too quickly. She could have dealt with the bruise ripening on her knee where it collided with the side of the shower. But what she couldn’t deal with was what losing her vampirism really meant. Losing Caius.

He’s not your Maker anymore. He’s nothing to you.

She gasped and threw herself up into a sitting position after forgetting to breathe again. It was something she was still getting used to. She grabbed the warm towel that hung over the radiator, wrapped it around her dripping naked body and she wobbled to her feet. Her temples still pulsated and the bones in her legs felt like jelly as she made her way out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. Her clothes had gone and a new outfit had replaced it, folded neatly in the centre of the double bed.

Nico is spoiling me, she thought bitterly as she lifted the plain black vest top he had given her. A pair of simple blue jeans lay folded in a square underneath and a set of black underwear. The boots by the foot of the bed, she noticed, were nicer than hers had been but still looked tough and durable.

She wrapped the towel that was around her body, around her hair as she dressed and then sank her back onto the bed, feeling the plush, soft duvet under her like a cloud. A human’s senses were heightened when they were turned, yet Evie felt more connected to everything around her since she had got her humanity back. It was as if there had been an invisible wall around her before which she had finally broken free of. That wasn’t to say that she didn’t miss her vampire hearing, sight and speed. She figured the loss of those would become a real chore when she got out of here. Which she would, despite what Nico had told her as he showed her to her new room in his mansion. She was going to get out of here, with Caius. She just needed to figure out how.

Her hands flew to her throat as she gagged herself awake, choking on air after she yet again, forgot to breathe. Her heart was crashing against her ribcage as she inhaled large gulps of air to fill her lungs.

A knock at the door made her start. It was a soft, tentative knock, yet she still flinched.

“Evie, it’s me. Nico. Are you okay?” the voice was soft and tentative too, which made rage burn deep inside her. Now he was worried about her? After what he’d done?

“I’m fine.” She snarled at the door.

“Can I come in?” Oh, he had manners now? What had happened to the man that had thrown silver over her and shoved her in the basement?

“It’s your house. Whatever.”

The door opened without a creak and Nico swooped in with his usual easy fashion, as if he didn’t have a care in the world. He looked to the drawn curtains and crossed the room. “It’s morning,” he said and threw them open. Evie cringed on the bed, throwing her arms up to shield her eyes from the sunlight that painted the cream room a vibrant yellow. A sinking feeling hit her hard when she didn’t burn. Did she want to burn? It was what she was used to. It was the whole idea that she had changed that she didn’t like.

“Don’t cower,” said Nico. He had his hands clasped behind his back as he was looking out of the large panoramic window. Either he had seen her reaction to the sunlight in the reflection of the glass or it was a good guess, because he hadn’t turned around.

Evie lowered her arms and squinted at him. He was wearing suit pants, dress shoes, a white shirt and a grey cardigan. From the back, he looked like a schoolboy. She guessed from the front he did too. Yet there was so much evil brewing behind that innocent façade. The fact that he looked so normal seemed to frighten her more than if he did actually look like a criminal mastermind with the slick, gelled back hair and maybe a scar across his face.

She pushed herself off the bed and joined him at the window. She stood beside him and gasped at the view. It was the first time she had seen the grounds of the mansion. Two stone stairways ran down from the front door to the left of them, creating a gracious half circle. Stylish BMW’s were parked along the front on the paved entryway. The road in and out of the mansion also ran in a semicircle around the large lawn that seemed to go on forever. Evie squinted in the light and was just able to make out the large gates at the edge of the compound, locked and guarded. It was an extraordinary place, Evie had to admit. But to her, it was still a prison.

Even through the glass, Evie felt the warmth of the sun. Warm. She hadn’t actually felt warm in a hundred years. That’s why she had done that little experiment in the shower earlier, to test her new body. To know where her new boundaries were.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Nico asked, smiling out at the view.

“What?” Evie’s voice was soft and barely audible.

“The morning sun. You haven’t seen it for a while. I bet you’ve forgotten what it looks like.”

“It doesn’t make up for what you did.” She clasped the tops of her arms, the warmth feelings too strange for her to feel comfortable.

Nico exhaled a tired sigh. “You will learn that what I did to you was for the best. Your humanity isn’t a curse, Evie. Your vampirism was the curse.”

She gave him a sideways quelling look but said nothing. His eyes, reflecting the sun, looked like two silver coins. She wondered, with a sudden emptiness, if Caius’ eyes would look like that in the sunlight. Not that she’d ever know.

Nico brushed her damp hair from her neck and she flinched. When she looked up at him, he was frowning. “You took off your bandage.”

She slapped his hand away and let her hair fall back over her exposed wound. “I had to so I could shower,” she replied. After Nico had dragged her away from Caius, he had cleaned her neck and covered the puncture wounds with a square bandage.

“I’ll patch it back up. C’mon, breakfast is on the table.” He spun on his heel and began heading towards the door, his hands still clasped behind his back.

Evie’s brows furrowed. “What do you want with me? Why am I still here? I’m cured, you can let me go.”

“I’m not done with you yet,” he said and disappeared out the door.

Evie let out an irritated huff and went after him. “What do you mean?”

She followed him as he swept through the mansion like a shadow, only managing to catch a glimpse just before he rounded each corner. Her boots clunked across the wood floor yet Nico seemed to move with such grace that he hardly made a sound at all. It unnerved her. Silent but deadly like a predator.

Finally, Evie caught up with him when he stopped at an open pair of white double doors. Inside was a long wooden table that seated ten yet there was only two plates, one set at either end. A bowl of assorted bread sat in the middle with a choice of jams and butter. There were also several boxes of multipack cereals and fruit.

Nico gestured into the room. “Have a seat.”

Evie arched an eyebrow at him, shrugged and sat down on the nearest seat. Nico strolled down the long room and sat on the opposite side. Silently, she grabbed a bowl, a packet of cereal and the bottle of milk from the centre while Nico grabbed several slices of bread.

In her early years of being a vampire, Evie had tried to vary her meals with human food. Caius kept telling her that she was kidding herself. Blood was everything to her now, anything else was insignificant. But Evie had been determined and would spend her afternoon slaving away in the kitchen, preparing a meal that she used to find delicious. Then she’d eat it and realise that Caius had been right. No matter what it was, if it wasn’t blood, it just tasted plain and pointless.

After she had everything ready and was spooning the cornflakes into her mouth, she started the conversation, frowning to herself. It turned out cornflakes actually did just taste plain and pointless anyway.

“So, what exactly am I still doing here? Why haven’t you tossed me out into the street?” She covered her mouth as she spoke, as she was still chewing.

Nico smiled down at his plate as he smeared strawberry jam onto a piece of white toast. “You are very special, Evie. You are the first to be cured. I tried that very same serum on other vampires. It did not work.”

“So what are you saying?”

“I’m saying-” He locked eyes with her from across the table and took a bite out of his toast, “-I need to keep you around to see why it affected you differently.”

“So you want to experiment on me?” A chill crawled up her back.

He seemed to notice the fear in her soft, hazel eyes. “Not in the way I was before. You are a guest in this house now, Evie. I will merely ask for the occasional blood sample and in exchange, you will live in luxury.”

She studied the room pensively. Paintings were hung all over the walls in big, eccentric, heavy-looking frames. She figured the paintings themselves must be rather impressive to someone who cared about art. Whereas, to Evie, they were just fancy drawings. And those fancy drawing brought up bittersweet memories that she liked to keep a lid on. A chandelier hung over the table that looked like it would be better suited in a ballroom than a dining room. The crystal tear drops made tinkling sounds like raindrops when they clicked together.

“And when I find a way to make a cure that is universally successful, I will share it with the world with you by my side.”

Evie’s attention shifted back to the man opposite her. “By your side?”

He smiled. He looked even younger when he smiled, she thought. The way his eyes crinkled at the sides made him look almost sweet. “Of course.”

She looked down at her bowl. Her cornflakes had turned into orange mush and she stabbed at it with her spoon half-heartedly. “I’m never leaving here, am I?”

“Why would you want to?”

That was a good question. Why would she want to if Caius was still locked up down there waiting to die? What life did she have now?

“Will you let me see him?” she asked quietly.

“Who?-oh” Her eyes flickered up and caught Nico clench his jaw with irritation. He leaned back in his chair and curled his hands into fists on either side of his plate. “I thought I told you, he is nothing to you now.”

“I love him,” she said. The admittance almost sounded shameful.

“You’re human now, Evie. He is a vampire. What you had is over. Got it?”

Tears burned the backs of her eyes as she stared down at her bowl. “You’re going to kill him?”

“Not intentionally. But it is a possibility that he may die.”

She felt like all the energy had been sucked right out of her. “You have to let me see him.”

“I had already granted you that wish, and look what happened.”

Her hand subconsciously slipped to the naked wound on her neck. She winced when her fingertips brushed it. “He didn’t mean it. You were starving him. He was out of control.”

“And if you go down there again, you will be met by the same monster. Because that is who he is, Evie. That is what all vampires are. Monsters.”

She shook her head and clenched her eyes shut. “Caius is not a monster. Since the Rage, he hasn’t drank from a human. Always blood bags. Not even from the Dial-a-bite service.”

Nico sneered. “Blood whores.”

Evie glanced up at him. “He’s a good person, Nico.”

He held her gaze and his expression softened. His hands had unclenched and lay flat on the table. He seemed calm, resigned. “I will think about it. It is clear that you have not come to terms with your change. You are still clinging onto how things used to be. If you are good, I will let you see him, only so that you can make peace with the fact that things will never be the same again and you must leave the past behind you.”

She nodded, fearing that if she spoke, she might say something that will make him withdraw his offer. She looked back down to her bowl and spooned up a lump of orange mush.

You must leave the past behind you. And yet the future looked bleak at best.

Thu May 19, 2016 2:33 pm
megsug wrote a review...

Ganga~
I think this is the best chapter yet. I really have very little to say. I love the beginning and how you see how the change from vampire to human is affecting her. You also have a little nod to the difference of emotions between vampires and humans in this chapter with the invisible wall bit, and I appreciate that. Not an in your face explanation but understandable. I have to wonder if it would be so clear if I hadn't been privy to the conversation between you and Meandbooks last chapter.

I'm also wondering why Evie is being so civil. It's like Nico has actually formed a relationship with her. Her dialogue is calm when they're talking at breakfast, almost as if Nico has demonstrated that he responds to reason when he has never before.

Something that just occurred to me actually, why in the world would he risk a success dying by doing an experiment where a hungry vampire could kill her? That just doesn't add up. I mean, it made for a good scene, but... It's just a stupid idea as far as Nico goes when you really think about it. Most likely the serum won't be successful, but there's a small chance that it will be, so you want to protect the single success you have. The first thing to do to protect the success would be to make sure there are no vampires around when you turn it into a human. (I'm sorry about this tangent, this literally just occurred to me while I was typing up your review)

Back to the chapter I'm actually reading, I partially like that Evie isn't too wild about being a human. There are several reasons why I like it. It's a tad ironic since she wanted to be a human in the first few chapters. It's realistic that a being with superpowers (basically) would be bummed to be a being without superpowers.

On the other hand, it illustrates a (I guess) character trait of Evie's to have no set opinions or emotions (except that she has to see Casius and that she loves him). Now, this could be very purposeful and this flipfloppy-ness will change throughout the course of the novel (I'm going to give it several more chapters before I make any real critiques). Or her forever switching is for convenience's sake. The story is controlling the characters instead of the characters controlling the story. I'm going to keep reading to see which it is.

I really enjoyed this chapter. It looks like Nico is going to be a creep, and I'm really excited to see him fleshed out a little in chapters to come.

See ya,
Megs~

Evie is completely drained. She's being civil because she has no energy to go bat-crap crazy on Nico's ass. She's just become human and the only person she cares about in the entire world just tried to kill her.

Nico is being courteous towards Evie so she is responding in kind. She's simply going with the flow because with so much going on in her mind shes basically on autopilot. And I think Nico has developed a soft spot for Evie, she's his success, he has big plans for her so its best if he gets on her good side.

...I didn't think about that. Maybe he did it because he had granted her wish but he didn't want her to think he was going easy on her? So he injected her again. To be fair, he's kinda losing hope in his project if he's letting Evie see Caius, he's pretty much admitting he's going to kill her.

Evie's flip-floppiness about wanting/not wanting to be human all stems from Caius (doesn't everything?!) She had wanted to become human to be able to experience a real, normal life but not she is human... Caius is still stuck down in the basement... and is still a vampire... she can't exactly have the happy human life she dreams of in her current circumstances. So basically as a rule if you don't know why Evie is feeling a certain way think about whats going on with Caius.

Thanks again for reviewing :D

Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:18 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hello Miss Ganga! Me again to bother your with another review :3

This chapter actually answered a few things I mentioned wanting a little more of in the previous chapter. Especially her adjusting being human once again and how she feels about the whole ordeal. It seems she is just as much a prisoner as she ever was, although just a promoted one because of the injection having worked on her. It seems like here we get a lot of her thoughts but you bring Nico into the story just in time so it doesn't feel like we get a whole lot of her thoughts in one go, but we get a bit of dialogue to break things up a bit as well. It was a very well written chapter and once again, I am left to nitpick what you've written in an attempt to actually find some worthwhile things to mention.

It's kind of sad that she thinks Caius won't care about her at all now that she is human. But I guess it makes sense if he has never seemed to express the love that she is feeling now. It just makes me sorry for her, because I know she cares so much about him. But how are they going to be together now?

Okay, I better get on to some useful criticism instead of just fangirling >.> One thing I wanted was the resentment of Nico to appear a little earlier on. She thinks to herself 'Nico is spoiling me' and I felt like that thought alone would be enough to enrage her somewhat seeing as now that she survived she is getting all this special treatment. But what about all the vampires starving below there, dying because of his concoctions? And Sophie, who is dead now? I felt like that would be enough to dredge up bad thoughts (and the perfect time to mention Sophie again. It may be a done deal but we need to let her effect as a character have a resounding echo somewhere in the story seeing as she introduced and yet only around for a brief time). But then you only wait until he appears later for us to see some of that hate she has in there. You could move it to the point I mentioned, but I'm thinking... why not have both?

I also felt like there is an issue that hasn't be discussed yet... BEFORE she knows that Nico is not going to let her go and she believes she has her own freedom... if she really hates being a human again, why not just become a vampire? I mean, although the cure for vampirism is so hard to come across, all she needs to do is find someone who is willing to make her a vampire again and then, easily enough, she's back to how she was before. It will mean starting over and going through the motions again, but I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to find someone to transform her back. Even if Caius doesn't seem like the kind of person who would be doing that for her, someone else could. And then it would bring an interesting debate forward... that despite her wanting Caius and everything to just remain the way it always has been, is there some part of her that actually wants to be human and not a vampire? It would be an interesting internal debate to throw in there.

I can't help it, I still want to know more about Nico! I know you mention that he is just the way he is and it's supposed to be like that, but as a reader I think we'll benefit a lot more from getting to know more about him and his background. A person like him doesn't just crop out from nowhere. There is something that molds them to be the way they are. Is it education that did this to him? A traumatising past event that he is surpressing and trying to reject? You can add a whole additional dimension to this story by digging more into his character and the reasoning behind why he does certain things, and chopping that off from the story and calling it 'closed' is more so hurting it than expanding it and making it better. I think it's something you should reconsider.

Then again, I'm only giving advice here and it's your novel at the end of the day! ;)

And yet…she had never felt so empty in her life.

Not gonna explain why this needs fixing all over again. Just pointing it out as a reminder that you have this one to correct as well :3

Looking forward to reading more! I wonder what Evie intends to do now she knows she is still trapped here. And what might happen next.

Deanie x

Evie is just kind of hollow in this chapter, she doesn't really have enough in her to be angry - hence why after she fell in the bathroom, she just curled into a ball and cried.

Ah, you've hit the nail on the head! Does she want to become a vampire again or is there a part of her that wants to stay human..?

You'll learn more about Nico throughout the novel, don't worry. He's a man of layers. He has become the person he is today for a reason - he has an interesting past that you just don't know about yet.

Thanks for the review! :D

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:36 pm
Sonder wrote a review...

Hey MissGangamash! Sorry for such a long wait. I'm just going to make some quick comments and do the whole shebang for the next chapter. :)

This is a fantastic chapter! I really love the feeling of off-balance that you described here, with Evie's concern with being a human. It's a nice, easy chapter to grasp, with time for the reader to take a breath. There were nice details of how she was struggling to adjust, and as always, her love of Caius continues to shine clear! Yup, yup. Nico's comment to her pretty much sums up the chapter:

It is clear that you have not come to terms with your change. You are still clinging onto how things used to be.

I'm interested in where this will go! Onto the next chapter! :)

~Night

Here at last! Haha :P

Thank you so much! This chapter was super hard to write, trying to get into the mind of someone who doesn't really remember how to be human. Very odd indeed...

But I'm glad you think it worked well :P

See you on the next chapter!

Sherri wrote a review...

Hey!
I haven't read the chapters before this one, but once I realized what the plot was... wow! I really, really loved this! :D You use great word choice, imagery, and you unravel the story well. I've also never heard of a story about vampires dealing with NOT being vampires any more. Usually it's the other way around, and that gets tiring. This was extremely refreshing, so thank you! You've reignited my interest in a story about vampires, a side of mythology I had lost hope in when it comes to writing.
I actually didn't find any errors... I know I'm supposed to find something to point out, but it's not really fair to leave a piece of writing with nothing wrong with it in the Green Room simply because there's nothing to criticize! :D
Anyways, I love the story idea, your writing style, and the characters. It's all so interesting! I've added this one to my list to come back to. :)
Keep writing! It's awesome :D

Thank you so much! I'm really trying to write a vampire story that even people who don't usually like them can enjoy :) I'm glad you find it refreshing because I know this genre is pretty cram-packed!

Thank you so much for the lovely review and I hope you do come back and read on ^_^

ExOmelas wrote a review...

'A sinking feeling hit her hard when she didn’t burn.' - Did she want to burn? It was what she was used to. It was the whole idea that she had changed that she didn’t like. I understand the point of this sentence but only after a few seconds. You might want to make it just a touch clearer because up to this point it sounds a bit like she's self-harming. Oh, that might be an idea you could consider, actually.

Your setting and plot are fantastic as usual. Evie's characterisation is once again spot on and I like that you're getting yet further into the mind of Nico. I have one suggestion concerning Nico, however. Quite often when Nico speaks, like this:

Somewhere in here he could glower sternly, point his finger, or perhaps make a slashing motion on the 'over'.

However, you then:

"Tears burned the backs of her eyes as she stared down at her bowl. “You’re going to kill him?”"

And this is great. If you can develop Nico's speech as much as Evie's I'd be enthralled. :) but the dialogue itself is very engaging.

Well done! :D (and sorry I took so long. I went out cycling all day)

Thank you :D

Yeah, the bit about her not burning is like the bit in the shower, she is sort of self-harming in the shower scene because she's purposely hurting herself just to kind of show herself just how much everything has changed for her. Kind of mental and physical torture really. So it's interesting that you linked the bit about her reaction to not burning to self-harming. Because even though she might not express her hate for Nico and what he has done to her by like, trying to beat the crap out of him or something, it's the way her mind is working that shows just how much he's messed her up.

I'll look over Nico's dialogue again. He's a very hard character to pin down so people are seeing him in different lights. He said that now Evie is a guest in his house, and he is being nice to her because she is his success story so her link to Caius is kind of a nuisance for him but at the same time he doesn't want to drive Evie away. I'm trying to make him firm but caring...it's quite difficult XD

Thanks again :D

ExOmelas says...

You're welcome, and good luck with Nico :-)

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor