z

Young Writers Society



Queen Bee- any critique welcome

by SpeedyPencil


This is a short story I wrote for english clas that is meant to allude to Macbeth in some way and particularly the quote 'Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under't'. Any critique is welcome including any nitty gritty gramatical things etc.

QUEEN BEE

She looked at her shoes - black and buckled with pink ribbons. It was only a matter of time now. Thoughts bloomed from her mind, if she could just get through this round she’d be on a clear road towards the final. Her heart thundered and her hands began to feel like burger grease. A gush of rain followed a crack of thunder.

"Opportunity, spelt o-p-p-e-r-t-u-n-i-t-y"

She almost cackled, he was an absolute wreck. His knees chattering, shoulders hunched, with a head as shiny as my mother’s china set. She let go of the sides of her skirt she’d previously had bundled in her fists.

"Incorrect. Next, Rosie Ridley"

She strode up to the microphone and gave the audience a flash if that endearing smile, teeth the colour of the blindingly white ribbons strung around her bouncy curls. The judges looked at each other with a grin.

“Your word is, loyalty”

Rosie stared down the barrel of the camera with a bat of the eyelashes. The rain fell steadily.

“Loyalty, spelt l-o-y-a-l-t-y”

One judge lent towards their microphone, “Correct”

The audience gave a polite applause. As she walked off stage into the wings Rosie smiled, celebrating her victory in silence. It was sickly sweet, like her grandmothers cookies. Just as she felt friendly hands on her back her heart dropped.

“Duncan Prince.”

That’s when Rosie saw him, the game-changer. He was stout with bones like twigs, the sort of child you’d want to bundle in bubble wrap and bandages. His hair was so blonde it almost glittered under the stage lights; he had porcelain skin to match. Freckles littered his face like dead fleas, she thought. Worst of all, was the huge bright blue eyes, staring Rosie right in the face, mocking her. She could tell he would smell exactly like freshly baked muffins and fabric softener, feeling as soft as hazy dream. The audience sighed in unison as he straightened his red bowtie and shuffled his too-big tangerine loafers. Rosie felt her nails digging into her palms.

“Your word is, ‘hierarchy’” the judge said, cupping his chin in his hands.

Duncan’s forehead creased and he placed his tiny palms together. Crowd members sat forward in their seats, nodding their heads like bobbling figures on a dashboard. Rosie’s eyes couldn’t have been more glued on his quivering mouth. The auditorium filled with a wave of complete silence.

“h-hierarchy, spelt h-i-e-r-a-r-c-h-y” he said in his shrill but honeyed voice.

“Correct, well done.”

Applause erupted more suddenly than buttered popcorn in the flames of hell. Rosie felt the rage bubbling in the pit of her stomach. The sympathy technique, she hissed. Duncan shuffled of the stage, waving to the crowd. Camera men scuttled throughout the stage, desperate to capture the shot. Before he reached her she tore through the throng backstage and slithered around to the exit. As she began scaling the stairs she felt her face contort in fury and her cheeks turn pink. She reached the upper level and venom spewed from her mouth as she ordered the man to open the doors. The man smiled down at her before suddenly becoming impacted with the full menace of her gaze. The industrial sized door groaned as she entered the changing rooms.

Her eyes flashed with all the excitement of a horse sneaking into a carrot farm. On the table was a knife. Next to that knife was a complementary apple pie. She held it in front of her nose. She smiled; it smelt like world championships.

Her heart fluttered, her mind began tick like it was fueled by a sugar high. It was her mother’s pie, and her mother’s baked goods always had one flaw: an overbearing aftertaste of salt. She carefully cut a slice and placed it on a plate. Then she scrounged around what she knew to be Duncan’s suitcase until she found his labeled drink bottle. She froze. A final applause echoed from downstairs. Her breath quickened and her hands shook. She rose onto her tippy-toes to the duffle bag stored away on the shelf and her hand felt for the bottle. She glanced at the clock and tried to swallow the lump in her throat. Finally her hands grasped the familiar object. Thank god her superficial mother always had her dieting-aid laxatives nearby. She pulled out the pill bottle but her clumsy 10-year-old hands flung it across the room. She watched in horror as it dropped to the ground and the white powder was spread on the floor. Heavy feet clambered up the stairs. Her heart pounded so hard it ripped out of her chest. She crawled on the floor, scooping up a large amount of the powder in her hand and dropping it into the water bottle she’d left open on Duncan’s table. The footsteps grew closer. Rosie closed the bottle. The doorknob began to rattle. She scrambled to brush the excess powder under the cabinet. Rosie flung herself into the bathroom. She saw a glimpse of the red powder slowly dissolving into a transparent liquid before she shut the door behind her.

Rosie took a deep breath. The hum of bustling and murmuring from the main room became louder. She looked down at her red stained hands and began to place them under the running water. It felt as if an anchor pulled down on her chest. Needles pickled at her skin. She stared at her face in the mirror and was faced with a flash of heat and an image of Duncan holding the golden trophy. Rosie splashed water onto her face and began scrubbing at her fingernails. A knock resounded at her door. She jumped.

“Is Rosie in there? This is her final call”

“Yes coming!”

Rosie flung the door open and allowed herself to be escorted down the stairs to the stage. The grand final, she thought to herself. This was what she always wanted, wasn’t it? Duncan was nowhere to be seen. She walked onto the stage with a face of enthusiasm. Trying not to think about the millions of home viewers she flew through her timed questions. The audience roared and she felt her heart fill with praise. She fidgeted side stage while the judges collected their notes. A drum roll started from the speakers. Rosie bit her lip and squeezed her toes.

“The winner of the 67th annual USA National Spelling Bee is… Rosie Ridley”

She stepped onto the stage, heart singing, but when she held the trophy in her hand Rosie did not feel victorious. When Rosie held the trophy, she felt the heat of the lights on her skin, the flashes of the cameras in her face, the itch behind her ear and the sudden urge to own a time machine.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:23 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here!

I will do my best to make this a good review, but Noelle took a lot of what I would say, so let's hope I can make this a somewhat decent review. It may turn out to be rather short.

Thoughts bloomed from her mind, if she could just get through this round she’d be on a clear road towards the final.


At best, these sentences are very loosely connected to each other, and the conjunction appears to be missing... or just isn't as apparent as it should. As it looks right now, I think you should either split it up into two different sentences, beginning at mind, or go and insert a neat conjunction in there to make it flow nicer.

he was an absolute wreck. His knees chattering, shoulders hunched, with a head as shiny as my mother’s china set.


This seemed like you almost changed genders with your character. Either that, or you threw in a character we knew nothing about. The first sentence of the paragraph talks about a she, and then the same paragraph switches over to a he - like it's the same person we're talking about, but a different gender. So perhaps it just go a little messed up there?

audience a flash if that endearing smile


technical: flash of

“Loyalty, spelt l-o-y-a-l-t-y”


Why never any periods or anything after these dialogue sentences? They have endings, too, ya know. You occasionally throw in a exclamation mark, but other than that, they are mostly empty of sentence endings.

As she walked off stage into the wings Rosie smiled,


As this sentence stands, you need a comma after wing to make the sentence flow correctly... but doing that would put two commas very close to each other, so my suggestion would be to do this: Rosie smiled as she walked off stage into the wings - eliminating the need for a comma, and making the sentence flow purdily through.

Just as she felt friendly hands on her back her heart dropped.


Comma after back.

Her heart pounded so hard it ripped out of her chest.


Not literally, right? O_o The way you word things makes it seem as though that is exactly what happened.

The biggest nitpick I think I would have to this story is that I was confused as to who the narrator, the main character of the story was until I reached about the middle, and I thought you were skipping around to different peoples POV the entire time, since you didn't really tell us who was the main character. You hinted in small ways, of course, but during the spelling bee, there was so many character skipping about, it was difficult to focus on Rosie and acknowledge that, hey! This is the girl I need to see this from! I think you need to give us a little bit more of her name in the beginning, so that we can see it from her. Especially in the beginning, I think. So look at the first few sentences, or rather, the first few paragraphs. You didn't state who the main character was, or who we could connect his character's voice to until we got to the part where she was called to the stage, and then we learn her name. So I think you should go and give her a name in the first sentence, and remind us about that in there by giving us a reminder to her name all the time. So just throw in her name occasionally during your narration of the story, and it will remind us more often who the character is. So the beginning. Tell us it's Rosie that is sitting there being nervous about being called to the stage, and then you will have that problem all smoothed out. Just introduce us to the character more, and let us know who she is, and then start off with the story. In short, make it more personal straight off.

All in all, I think you did a wonderful job on the writing prompt, and it was certainly an inventive and very brilliant story. I loved the change of the character, or rather the change of how we saw her, and everything just worked out just perfect. <3 I loved the way you narrated everything, and how you kept us coming back to her feelings and how she saw things was wonderful.

Amazing job, and as always, continue pecking away at the keyboard.
~Darth Timmyjake




SpeedyPencil says...


Thankyou so much! I'll make sure I clear those things up.



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:59 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested.

"Opportunity, spelt o-p-p-e-r-t-u-n-i-t-y"

As I read this, I was under the impression that Rosie was the one to spell this word. So I was confused when the word was spelled wrong, but she was still in the competition. We get a clue in the paragraph after this dialogue that it was a boy who spelled this word wrong, but that's all we get. I want to be completely sure that it was this boy who spelled it wrong instead of Rosie. I'd suggest adding some description of the boy before hand or explain to us how Rosie sat and chuckled to herself as this nervous boy stepped up to the microphone.

Just a nitpick here:
She almost cackled, he was an absolute wreck.

The comma should be a semi-colon. The two parts of the sentence can fit together, but not as one sentence. It's two different "subjects" here. She cackled. He was an absolute mess. It could very well be two separate sentences. To save the flow though, you can keep them together with a semi-colon.

Another nitpick here:
with a head as shiny as my mother’s china set

It should say 'her' instead of 'my'. The story is in third person POV. Be careful with your POV. Sometimes you can slip like that.

The rain fell steadily.

What rain? She was just staring into the camera the previous sentence.

Aw man, I'm all full of nitpicks this morning :3 Here's another:
One judge lent towards their microphone

Should be 'leaned' instead. Lent is the past tense of the word lend. The past tense of the word lean it leaned.

And another:
it smelt like world championships.

The word should be 'smelled' which is the past tense of 'smell'.

Overall you've got a nice story here. Rosie is a participant in a spelling bee and will do anything to win. I'm not sure how it is in real life, but the stereotype of kids in spelling bees is that they are cut throat and will do anything to win that trophy. You've done a good job portraying that here with Rosie.

As for how it related to the prompt, it was wonderful! I especially like how you named the main character Rosie, a play on the word rose, which is indeed a flower. The name turns the figurative language of the saying to literal. I think that's really cool. And then when she goes to sabotage Duncan's chances, she becomes that serpent.

Now, I'd like to talk about the realisticness (that's a word now xD) of this story. It is indeed, a realistic story and I can believe that all of this could go down at a spelling bee. However, reading through this I was under the impression that this was a school level bee. At the end though, it's mentioned that it's the national bee. I know that in the national bee they have much more complicated words than hierarchy and loyalty. Those are school bee level words. The national bee grabs any word they can find and forces contestants to spell them. Words like knaidel and cymotrichous and fibranne. (I took those from a list of winning words for the national bee I found online) Just to make this a bit more real, research the kind of words they use at the national bee. You can easily search "National Spelling Bee word list" on Google and find a whole list. There is also a final round the contestants go through to determine who is the winner of the bee. Basically what I'm saying here is do some research about the national bee so you can get the right facts in there :)

Rosie is quite an interesting character. I imagined her as this sweet little girl who was just trying to win the spelling bee. Later on though, we realize that that is all an act. It's a nice turn in the story. You have some great foreshadowing to this character trait in the early parts of the story:
She almost cackled, he was an absolute wreck.

Cackling isn't really a way to describe a nice, polite laugh that comes out of a little girl's mouth. That was the first hint I found of how vicious she was under her outward appearance. Then of course when Duncan comes out to spell his word, that's the second hint of her viciousness. It's all a very nice setup for the turn that happens halfway through the story.

The main thing that you could improve upon in this story is your details about the bee. They're there, but they're not necessarily the most accurate of details. Once you do some research about the national bee and what goes down, you'll have a great story here. I don't have anything that I can say about your MC because I think she's great. You've given her just enough evil that she wants to sabotage Duncan, but just enough good to make her feel guilty about it afterwards. Very nice!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




SpeedyPencil says...


Thank you very much! I will make sure I fix up all those nitpicky details. I also agree with you about the realisticness about the spelling bee, the major thing Jere was that I had a word limit so I couldn't really build it up into a full on ending but I think I'll change it to a school level spelling bee anyway, that makes a little more sense.




"Be happy, my friend; and if you obey me in this one request, remain satisfied that nothing on earth will have the power to interrupt my tranquility."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein