Old soul.

by Booshian

You and I have been blessed.

We, cyber children of the night.

3am. Cannot sleep. Buttons to be pressed.

Connection at our fingertips,

Such opportunity for greatness,

But the goodness is lost in the eclipse.

Do you have eighty likes on your new boast?

If not, you're worthless to us.

Generation narcissism is now our new post.

I don't write out of anger,I write out of dismay.

I think I would have done better in the twenties.

Like Garbo in her day.

But instead I sit here a slave to my iPhone.

The world in my grasp,

Yet I have never felt so alone. 

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:03 am
summerlovee wrote a review...

Hello :) I really liked this poem! The main theme that was explored in this poem reminded me of the spoken word piece called "Look Up". Anyways, when I read the part about "I think I would have done better in the twenties", I took more of an intense liking for this poem as I am a fan of the music and literature produced around the 1920s. I would absolutely love to time travel back just to live a few days and see how life was back then, although I don't think I can stand the tight and long clothing women had to wear. :p Okay, now to review your work (sorry for rambling for too long).
In the sentence "If not you're worthless to us" I think there needs to be a comma after the not. Also for the sentence "But instead I sit here a slave to my iPhone" a comma after the here. However, if it was intentional and you think it will disrupt the flow of the poem, then don't listen to me. :p
Overall, I enjoyed reading this poem and thank you for sharing it. :)

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:00 am
BFG says...

Love where this takes us! And I completely agree with the sentiment. I also agree with Cailey that the periods at the end of each line were very off-putting, but then again I feel that way about Emily Dickinson's poetry too. I really like that you begin with how "blessed" we are: blessed to have this technology, perhaps, and said a bit ironically, but also blessed in many other ways that are, as you say, being eclipsed by our reliance on everything computer-based. I love the first three lines especially, and the rhyme of "pressed" and "blessed". I would take "cyber children" out of quotation marks, personally, but again it's a grammatical preference. I feel like "the goodness is lost in the eclipse" is almost a really cool line, but is pushing for a rhyme. I would maybe search for a stronger word than goodness, and use eclipse as a verb. Also rhyming "post" with "post"... yeah. One other thing I would think about is line length, which varies considerably and might be messing with your meter -- the stanzas don't scan the same, and I think it detracts from your powerful rhymes.

Like I said, I very much enjoyed this! Well done!

- A fellow Old Soul

Booshian says...

Thank you very much! Yes, I think there is a little bit of house keeping to be done with this poem. This is a first draft I wrote at two am ... The idea popped into my head when my phone died and I felt really aimless all of a sudden and that made me angry. Thanks again for the pointers!

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 am
Freya13 wrote a review...

This is an amazing poem! It is really appropriate to our generation and I can totally agree with what you're getting at, I mean, sometimes I think that the single most horrible thing in our generation is technology. Even if it helps us out a lot of the time, it seems to cause more harm than good.
This is a great poem that uses emotive language really well and makes consider the message. Good job :)

Booshian says...

Thank you very much! :)

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:04 am
Cailey wrote a review...

Hello! Here for a review!

Anyway, I won't comment on the paragraphs. Paragraphs are impossible to figure out on this site, and I've been here for three years or so. Still don't have a clue how to make it all match up.

I really liked some of your lines. Like "generation narcissism is now our new post" that is amazing. I love that line so much. Also, I totally agree that this generation is so phone obsessed and in need to always be connected, always be involved in media of some kind, and I love seeing someone else portray that as a negative.

One little nitpick about this, I didn't like the periods at the end of each line. A line break is already a pause, and with the added pause of a period at the end of each line it just feels so tedious, like having to stop every five seconds when you're driving a car. It's just too many full stops. Try to combine sentences or mix up lines or something so it's not just sentence. Stop. Sentence. Stop.

Also, the ending. Marvellous. I just really liked that ending and think it captures the whole poem so well and ties it all together and makes a huge statement. I also love the title. It's great. You're great. Great poem. :D

Booshian says...

Thank you so much for your kind review! Yeah I'm a bit funny with punctuation, I'm a huge Emily Dickinson fan so I quite like using punctuation unconventionally. But this was really lovely thank you!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna lay down and become a tomato for a while.
— RokitaVivi