A breath of lavender

by paula08

A breath of lavender

-

That swift touch of lilac breath

Delicately hidden in the astounding collage

Perfects the canvas’s obscured dearth

By tendering imperfection yet revolting mirage.

-

The colour of sadness, perfect for shade

Its paleness too calming; winter’s lad there.

For although lavender’s a July’s pervade,

It dominates the canvas in a stormy glare.

-

Aley wrote a review...

Hey Paula08,

I'm here to answer your summons to review this. Sorry it's so late.

First off I'd like to say that I like how short you're keeping this. From what I gather, this is a poem where you're trying to say, basically, that Lavender is the color and smell of sadness. I'm not completely sure about that. I think what you do well is work within the boundaries you provide yourself, and you seem to have provided yourself with a lot of them.

I'm going to provide you with a link to some resources on the site where you might be able to find out more information about how to format poetry for the current publishing center. There are a couple different methods, including yours, but I think you might want to know about it just to ensure you're picking the method you want and not the one you're stuck with. Here's the article I wrote up about formatting poetry. Monster also wrote up a couple articles and those are linked at the bottom if mine doesn't make sense. How to Format Poetry

Onto the review. Personally, I agree with Arkhaion about the poem. You're using a lot of words that seem to have the wrong connotation to match with the situation. To show you what I mean, I'm going to do a paraphrase of your poem line by line to show you how I interpret what you said in that line. I'm putting it in a spoiler so it's easy to identify and you can hide it when you're done to make this a little shorter.

A specific quick scent
is covered up by everything else, which is more impressive
Something is trying to do the impossible and shroud "A scarcity or lack of something"
through offerings of money, failure, and still it's something we can't break through, just a mental conjuring of falsity.

Shadows are the color of misery
Those shadows are diluted hues, and not sad, but calm; Winter is a young boy in the shadows
July is filled with the smell of lavender, however,
lavender is the color of storms.

Doing this for most poems is a bit clearer. The reason this one is so tricky is because the words you're using don't really connect to one another, so taking it line by line like this makes the whole thing sort of unravel because none of it is really saying that much.

Don't get me wrong, I think you've got a really good subject. I just think you went about it a little awkwardly and ended up without really saying what you wanted to say. Instead of trying to be poetic about what you're trying to say, just talk to us. Tell us what's going on, and what you want to say. We all understand our language, and that language is rich with connotations and denotations which can expand our understanding of each other and the world around us. If you're trying to say that Lavender is the color of storms, then go into that depth and detail to explore that idea, develop it through your poem and share with us how you got there. Right now, the poem is unconvincing.

Some of the words you're using such as "dearth" seem to be there for the single purpose of confusing the reader. As a writer, we have to be able to come back to our work and explore meaning through it too, so I'm familiar with running into times when you really want to sound good rather than be good with meaning. I think the biggest thing that helped me understand the difference was something I read once in an interview by Robert Frost. He said he got a lot of poetry sent to him by young poets, and one of the tried and true ways to tell if a poem was good or not was to look at the rhymes, since they always come in pairs, and see which one is better. With this poem, I would say "breath" and "collage" are probably the two words you started out with, especially considering "dearth" isn't pronounced like "breath" but "death" is, which means you misspelled it. Having a revolting mirage just doesn't make much sense, while an astounding collage does, so that is the dominant word. In the second stanza we have "Shade" and I would say "Glare" because you were probably going for laid instead of lad which means you had to tack on there when you realized it was supposed to be a different rhyme, and leaves glare as the dominant rhyme even if it wasn't written first potentially.

Overall, being able to pick apart your rhymes like that is a problem. If you have a good poem with good rhymes, you can't do that. Rhyming and putting meaning together is a very difficult thing to do. I would suggest you pick which one you want to work on first.

Either you can work on learning how to rhyme better, and get a larger vocabulary from exploring connotations of words you pick to rhyme, or you can work on getting a clearer meaning through your poems. They are both going to be something potentially necessary and beneficial in the end, but right now, I'd say your meaning suffers more than your rhymes, so I would suggest you switch to alliteration and internal rhyme rather than putting up the barrier of end rhyme for every poem you write, and work in making a clear poem that really reaches into your own gut and drags out your innards when you write it and read it back. Those are going to be the emotional ones that really hit home with the readers too. "If it doesn't shock the writer, it doesn't shock the reader" after all, so try to make yourself feel the emotions you're putting into the poem, even if it's not a real thing that happened. That will improve your clarity and meaning as you work on developing rhyme later.

If you have any questions or want some more advice, feel free to hit me up. I'd love to write in a titan pad with you some time and see how that goes.

Aley

winterstar wrote a review...

Wow! Very good use of imagery. I could clearly see this picture in my mind's eye. The structure, rhyme, and meter actually are similar to some of the poetic greats of the past like Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, and that's only the American poets.

However, I did see a couple of things that I think could use improvement. The mismatched rhyming of foliage and mirage kind of glares out from the word go. I'm sure that each word was carefully selected, but if you're going to have a rhyme scheme, make sure it is consistent throughout the entire work. I'm guessing by the spelling of the word colour that you're British, which is cool. No critiques there; just an observation. Also, just a quick question. What are you trying to say with this poem? What is the overall message? Are you just describing a scene you saw some time ago or are you trying to say something about it in contrast with something else? Put a message of some sort in there! If this is supposed to be a starter for a poem, then great, but it needs to be a bit more clear because I just don't get it otherwise.

paula08 says...

Hey, sorry for the very late reply. This poem is created in a form of a poetic abstract from the perspective of an artist. That's why the message is not very prominent.

Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, darling! Here as requested to review this piece.

To begin with, I feel like your rhyme is very forced, like you picked words that mean vaguely what you want them to mean simply because they rhyme with other words. Personally, I never pronounced "foliage/mirage" as being anywhere near similar, and reading them as a rhyme is really off-putting to me as a reader. As a result, some of your phrases don't make sense - "the canvas's obscured dearth", "tendering imperfection yet revolting mirage", "lavender's a July's pervade" - all of those actually made me stop and say "what?"

As a reader, I have absolutely no clue what you're trying to say. That can be powerful in a poem, but I have a feeling that wasn't the intent here. What did you want to say through this poem? (And can you give me a plain English translation so I can attach the meaning to the words up here?)

As a poet, I feel like your diction is very overblown. Do you really need to say "astounding foliage"? You could just say "foliage" - if you want to give it more description, do that in a different line, because "astounding" isn't an image. To one reader, it might mean foliage that's spread all over the place, and to another, it might mean an immaculately-trimmed hedge, and you need to have an image. "Obscured dearth" - is that supposed to effectively mean "hidden lack"? "Tendering imperfection yet revolting mirage" - I think you're using "tendering" and "revolting" as verbs there, but I'm not sure, because you've used so many adjectives that I hardly even know what's a noun any more.

This honestly sounds like a case of Thesaurus Syndrome - "I know this word, what's a better word?" - combined with a rhyming syndrome - "I know this word, what'll rhyme with it?" A word of advice, if you base your poetry on thesaurus words and rhyming words, you're never going to get your image across reliably. I recommend experimenting with forms and styles, and perhaps even lengthening some of your poetry to see if you can fit a better image and more information on the image in more lines. This is advice that I wish I had taken when I was a younger and fresher poet, because I think it would have helped me expand my skillset so much, and I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now with my own descriptive ability.

A lot of what a poet does is relying on their words to give the audience an image, an emotion, a feeling - this gives me nothing. This gives me... well, it gives me the feeling of confusion, because I have no clue where either of the stanzas are going or what they're even saying past the first two lines and the last line, and trust me, it's not because I don't know what the words mean - it's because the words make absolutely no sense right next to each other. Yeah, they sound cool, but they don't mean anything to me.

Overall, I think this could handle a bit of heavy-handed diction editing and some phrase editing to help with the forced rhyme. I think your lack of a meter is a little confusing and off-putting as well, especially going from the first line to the second, but the rest seem to even out. It's an enjoyable concept, what I understand of it, but the concept has to come through in the words. Keep writing!

scicc007 says...

Lavander or lavender? Mind the spelling, Paula.

rbt00 wrote a review...

Woah! Woah! Such a beautiful poem. Really! Not buttering! Just two stanza's but contains so much more.
I found no imperfections. You have used great words to describe what you wanted. Forms great imagery too. I really loved the first stanza especially these two lines
'Delicately hidden in the astounding foliage'
'By tendering imperfection yet revolting mirage.'

Although, you could have written the second stanza much much better. Not saying that it is bad but the first one sounds and flows really well. The last two lines of these stanza are great. The first two lines could do a bit with a change of words here and there for an amazing poem.
Never heard of the word 'dearth' though. Had to look up.

Anyways great work done!
THANK U

paula08 says...

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate it and I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed it.

Soulfulwriter says...

Short poem. I do like how it flows nicely. Even though, I am not so sure what to say about it. I do think it’s very lovely and all. It’s also well put together. I have seen some poems that just doesn’t make any sense and have no sense of where it was going.” Dearth?” ever heard of that word, lol had to look it up.

The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14