z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Elijah and Ahaziah the King

by Linkzude16


The king died, and the king's son fell ill.

The son seemed to be dying; he had one will.

To his servants, "go" was what he said,

As he lay sick and helpless upon his bed.

"Ask the god Baalzebub, the god of hell

If my life will last, if all will be well."

But the word came to the prophet of God,

"Ask Ahaziah if I speak truly:

He seeks idols since he cannot find me.

He will not recover from this suffering:

He shall die; someone else shall be king."

The servants learned from Elijah this saying.

Then they returned to the monarch in waiting.

They mentioned the news and the man who had spoken.

The king knew the man by the one token

That he was hairy like no one else.

He wanted to see Elijah and hear the words himself.

Fifty went--and one with captain's attire.

They tried to seize him; God consumed them with fire.

When from the king more men came,

The result was the same: they were set aflame.

Then another group to God's prophet did go.

The captain said, "Let it not be so!

Pray let me live and find favor in your sight."

Elijah went with them, for God called it right.

Elijah came to the king to deliver God's word.

The king died accordingly once he had heard.

So Jehoram of Judah reigned in Ahaziah's stead.

The king could not protest: the king was dead.

There are other books where one can find the king's acts,

God did not care to list those here--only key facts.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
284 Reviews


Points: 4250
Reviews: 284

Donate
Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:00 am
View Likes
RubyRed says...



I love this poem. I can't believe that it only has three likes (one of them being mine). I like how this simplified what is said in the Bible. It puts it into words I can understand better. Keep up the good work, Linkzude16! Keep writing and NEVER get discouraged.

~Keepwriting




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:08 pm
Aley wrote a review...



Hello!

Just so you know, I have no idea who any of these people are. That being said, I have a really good perspective on how to review this in a unique position of the ignorant. Because this sounds like it should be something to teach children about a story, I think my perspective is especially helpful.

So what I thought. First off, you never really mention who is who in the poem. For instance, who is Elijah? Is he the prince that told everyone to go away? Who is the prophet of God? Is that Elijah? I do know something of Paradise Lost, which was based on filling in sections of the bible, so I do sort of recall that Baalzebub was not the "God of Hell" so much as the right hand to Lucifer, so what's going on there? Whose god do you speak of when you say God, proper noun?

I'd also like to point out how many kings you have in this. We start with a dead king and a dead king's prince. These two are not really named. The king is already dead at the start of the story. Then we have a third king? who died in a fire?

All I'm saying is that the sequence of events needs more clarification in character. Some of these people are consistent, and should have that indication in the story so we can recognize when the King is the dead king from the start, or the Prince who would have become King if he wasn't sickly and telling people to go away, or a neighbor king.

Not to judge the story, but to give constructive criticism, the characters' names are used so little to keep with this magnificent beat you've got going, that it is kind of hard to follow for someone who doesn't know the faith.

I hope knowing what I don't know helps. I think the way that you told the story, the beat, the pacing, the methodology behind your word choice, is very creative and good. I don't think you have any problems there. I would caution you against always using capitals on the start of lines, but honestly I don't think you need that with this poem because it is supposed to be formal traditional, and that is formal traditional.

Good job.
-Aley




Linkzude16 says...


Hey Aley, thank you for that long, well-formed reply. I don't often that kind of response, and I appreciate it. I'll try to explain myself in this reply.

I understand that some people may not recognize Elijah or Baalzebub as names, but when I wrote this poem, I was assuming that the reader has some previous knowledge of the key characters I mentioned. However, I'll explain: Elijah was the prophet of God (the God of Israel) during the reign of Ahab. The king at the beginning of the poem was Ahab. According to 1 Kings, he was killed in battle. His son Ahaziah, the second king mentioned, took the throne but died of a terrible illness. While Ahaziah was still alive, he consulted the pagan god Baalzebub to determine whether he would die or not. I did not read Paradise Lost; therefor I don't exactly know the story there. Perhaps the mention of Baalzebub as Lucifer's right-hand-man is a metaphor because Beelzebub is a name of Satan. Although Baalzebub may not be the same as Beelzebub, I had thought that it is. The last king in the poem is Jehoram of Judah who took Ahaziah's place because Ahaziah had no son.

I apologize for confusing you with the kings. I'll break this down: the first king is Ahab--he is mentioned twice as the king; the last king I do not even refer to as "the king." Put simply, every time you see the phrase "the king," except the first two times, that phrase is referring to Ahaziah. My difficulty when writing this was that A-ha-zi-ah has four syllables. Therefor I could only afford to say Ahaziah a few times without failing to tell my story or ruining my meter and rhyme scheme.

You are right about the events sequence: it does need clarification. I will try to reword things and see if I can explain some parts better. I will work on that.

The sparse use of the characters' names goes back to the thought of assuming the reader's knowledge of 2 Kings beforehand. The major reason I did not reuse names so much is that it would upset my meter and rhyme scheme. Again, many of these names are loaded with syllables. Thus it's hard to tell a story and constantly iterate names. I understand your point, however, and will probably try to rework that point of the poem as well.

Yes, I am fond of traditional style of poetry. I am being educated by A Beka Academy, which promotes classical poetry. Thus my use of capital letters at the beginning of each line is a product of my education, which I appreciate and agree with. (I'm no e. e. cummings.)

Thank you for all the positive, constructive feedback. You have great ability to review. I'll take all of what you said into account. Thanks again.



User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 874
Reviews: 232

Donate
Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:32 am
View Likes
rainforest wrote a review...



Hello there! Unknown391625 here with another review!

Ok I thought this was good. Very clever, but why King Ahazia? Interesting, but good idea. Something different, definitely different. But new. Very new and a good idea. As krazywriter said, your poem puts it into words we can understand and makes the story interesting. I though the same thing, ironically in almost the same way krazywriter put it. But anyways, good job overall. You categorized the genres and the age rating. I really liked it. Unoriginal, which I think is good, new, and clever. Good job with this! I will look for more poems by you. Don't give up and always write!

-Unknown391625




Linkzude16 says...


Thanks, Unknown391625. I enjoy writing a lot. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my writing!



Random avatar

Points: 542
Reviews: 38

Donate
Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:00 am
View Likes
krazywriter says...



It's a pretty clever poem, in my opinion. May I ask what made you want to write a poem about King Ahazia? It's one of those stories I've heard before, but never really paid much attention to. Your poem puts it into words we can understand and makes the story interesting. As I said, pretty clever. Now I want to go look up the story.




Linkzude16 says...


I hadn't read the Bible in a while and was also looking for inspiration for my novel. Thus I decided to read where I had left off in 2 Kings. I was inspired by Isaac Watts' rewriting certain Bible passages to give them rhyme and meter and by Lord Byron's "The Destruction of Sennacherib." Thanks for the positive feedback. I enjoyed writing this.




I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman