z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Tales of the Argonauts: The Osorezu and the Hana (11-2)

by ulala8


She pushed the thought away and left the room. Once outside, she let off a heavy sigh and ran her fingers over her face. She was sweating. She was trembling. She peeled her hands away from her face and examined the weak, shaking appendages. Why… Why am I shaking? I’m not afraid. What do I have to be afraid of? I’m immortal. I can’t die. Lady Kurin won’t allow that to happen. I still have my mission to complete.

She continued to tremble and her breath began to heave. Gods, no. Why am I afraid? I trust my friends. They’ll keep me safe…

But what if I don’t keep them safe? What if they die on my watch? Kai’s eyes widened and she slowly sunk to the floor, knees askew and face veiled by her hands. I can see it… I can see Kenichi’s mangled corpse draping over the red countryside, burned and ripped by Hono. I can see Pualani’s bloodless face as she watches the red dawn, her blood bathing her as well as everyone else’s. I can see Shun, impaled on one of the Great Demon’s claws or horns…

She didn’t even notice when tears began to leak from her eyes. A hand on her shoulder jolted her into the real world once more.

“Kai? Are you alright?” Shun asked her, sitting down beside her. “Are you remembering when that one boy broke your heart? What was his name again? Haru? Don’t you remember how I kicked his knees in when we were sparring and he was in the infirmary for three months?” He attempted to smile to cheer her up.

“It’s not that, Shun,” Kai hissed, stuffing the heels of her palms into the hollows of her cheeks. “What if you guys die? What if it’s my fault?” Her friend’s smile disappeared from his face, draining from his face like the blood in her day-mares. “Aaahh…” she groaned out.

“Hey, Kai. Look at me. Watch me,” he told her, standing up and smiling. He quickly began a form that he had been taught in the advance agility class. He kicked out in rapid scissor kicks and crescent kicks. He spun and struck out so fast that Kai had to strain to see anything. When he was finally done, he was panting and he looked to his friend. “Look. I’m tough. Don’t you dare think that I’m going to die on you. I’m gonna stick with you until the bitter end. If anything, you’ll be the one that needs protection.” He winked to her. “Now go get packed.” He left her side to do the same.

Kai immediately stood and nodded her head. Hurrying off whilst rubbing her eyes free of tears, she didn’t notice when she returned to her room. She simply stood at the door for the longest time, scrubbing.

“Nngh…” she groaned as if it were a chore to free herself of the impure salt water.

“Are you alright Kai?” Pualani’s voice sounded as her door clicked shut behind her. A smile was painted over her face, but her eyes screamed her concern. “Is there anything that I can do?” The other girl turned toward her friend cautiously before she sighed and shook her head.

“I don’t think so. You don’t have anything to help me with day-mares, do you?” Kai asked.

“No, why?” her friend asked. “What’s got you worried? Is it the trip?” There was a moment’s hesitation before Kai nodded her head. “Ah, I see. We’re all nervous about it, I’m sure. I mean, We have to find an impossible person. It won’t be easy, but we’re all going to stick by your side.” Tears began to come to Kai’s eyes again.

“Pualani…” her voice was breaking.

“Oh, what is it? What’s wrong? Don’t cry!” the other girl cried out. “Was it something I said?”

“No, no,” Kai said, “it’s not you…” It sounded as if there would be a continuation, but there wasn’t. Kai simply hid her face away, trying not to show her tears. Pualani’s brow furrowed and she slowly knelt down beside her friend.

“It’s alright to cry, you know,” she said, gently brushing her fingers of the Guide’s shoulder. The silence remained as Pualani watched uncomfortably as her friend sobbed. It broke her heart to see her cry. However, the Yin girl remained like stone: rigid and placid. This left poor Kai to cry with her friend by her side.

Soon, she gave up, stuffing away her tears and forcing herself to her feet. She smiled to Pualani sadly before she sighed.

“This is going to be a long trip… A very long one.” With that, she entered her bedroom and left her friend in the hall. Once inside, Kai was a robot. She packed her things into a neat little bag and then she sat. Fearful of the daymares that would come to pass from her solitude, she quickly fled her room, headed for Shun’s. She knew that he’d be able to take her mind off of the daymares and the oncoming journey.

The tips of her fingers absentmindedly skimmed along the cold walls as she passed through the halls. She was a wayward spirit. Her heart was already at the point of giving up. She couldn’t bear the thought of endangering her friends, but she couldn’t do this alone, and she certainly couldn’t give up and let the world burn. It was all up to her and her strength to keep everyone safe and alive.

Kai halted when she felt the end to the cold marble wall, where it gave way to wood. She had reached a door, and respectively the dorms. Walking only a few more steps, she found herself at Shun’s door. She knocked, and as if he’d been waiting for her, her friend opened the door.

“I was just about to come find you, Kai,” he said before noticing the redness under her eyes. “Are you alright?”

“I’m just… fine. I’m fine, Shun,” Kai told him, looking to her feet. “Pualani is still getting packed. We should check on Kenichi and Tara.” He shifted uncomfortably to the mention of those names-- or particularly Tara’s. “What is it?” Her eyes widened. “Is it about the argument this morning?”

“How do you know about that?” Shun snapped before he let off a shaky sigh. “So you heard the whole thing…” He turned from her and began to gather up his bags. “I’m sorry for snapping,” he said, shame thoroughly weaving through his voice.

“Let’s just get Kenichi. After that, we’ll get Pualani and Tara, and we’ll be out of here,” Kai said, and Shun nodded his head in agreement. He wasn’t as much help as she had wanted.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:47 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here!

So I admit I am just throwing myself in this work without knowing the plot at all, so I will base my review off style and nitpicks, okay?

her breath began to heave.


This sentence threw me off because it isn't something that really happens. Your breath actually is raspy, shallow, deep, etc... Heaving is something associated with like the chest, or something. So really, I think shallow breath would be more appropriate, or deep breathing.

Kai hissed, stuffing the heels


hissed is a word used by snakes, something that witches use or when they are trying to be silent because it's vital. Mumbled or muttered seems like a more appropriate word there.

Are you alright Kai?”


Comma after alright

long trip… A very


Something I just learned myself (funny, after writing for so long and doing English and Grammar for so long, I just now learn it from a critic) is that when you do an ellipsis (...), you are just showing a visual pause in your character's thoughts or actions. So when doing it, either you are continuing the sentence, or beginning a new one. If you are continuing the sentence after the ellipsis, then keep them as three periods, but if you are ending the sentence, you need to have four periods (....) there. So in this case, either uncapitalize the A there, or make it four periods instead of three, to make it an ellipsis and a period at the end.

Once inside, Kai was a robot.


This line was contradicted by a line immediately afterwards, right here:

earful of the daymares that would come to pass from her solitude,


Robots don't have emotions. They only act. So while the visual was perfecto with the entire idea, and having her act like a robot in that part was genius, you didn't follow through with it till the end. Robots aren't fearful. They have no emotions. So maybe a bit of tweaking there?

those names-- or particularly Tar


Two ways of doing Em-dashes (--)
This way: word - word
or this way: word--word
Either way works perfectly fine. Just a technical issue there. ;)

This was a very fun chapter to read, and I love the camaraderie in this, how they are all such an amazing part of a team. They all care for each other, and truly want the best for the other person. I liked Shun.... He seems almost like the older brother that would stick by the MC and protect her, or just show everyone who is mean to her who's boss, and to keep everything lovely for her. And the main character, my goodness. I love how much thought you weave into the writing, but at the same time make it so inconspicuous that the reader barely even thinks about it, and doesn't notice that it's thought, but just part of the story, and that is always a good thing. Everything just flowed through. Sometimes I think you could have used the setting and descriptions of her area to a better advantage? You do an amazing job describing their expressions, and how they talk, what their emotions are, etc... but you don't really describe the scene or the layout of the places they visit as much. Sometimes you only need about a sentence more or so to make it more visual, and that would fix the description issues. Just a little more in some places, and others may need more than a sentence - but rather a full scene description. Don't pummel us with description now, but a little more would help tons.

This work was great! Keep going, and perhaps I shall visit chapter 1 and get started there... eventually. My reviewing list is rather long. xD
~Darth Timmyjake




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:04 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey there Ulala!

I'm happy to see another chapter of this up and posted. As always, the preparation for the trip is continuing, and we're getting to see that not everything is actually fine and dandy. It seems the one who is supposed to be the strongest of them all - Kai - is actually feeling the weakest right now and is struggling with the idea that her friends are risking everything for her. It was very nice to see all her friends constantly around her and trying to encourage her along the way as well. I have a feeling their trip will be starting soon, and I am looking forward to when I get to see that :3

One thing I would like to see more is the goddess's help. I mean, Lady Kurin is the one who turned her into this Guide, and even though she has done that and given them the clue so they can start this quest, she hasn't been much help along the way outside of this. I feel like she might be the one to drop in some words, like be brave or something to Kai. Or, you know, have Kai feel her presence occasionally or something, although she doesn't actually have to see the goddess. I just feel like the goddess should be a better friend/help to someone she has chosen herself.

She pushed the thought away and left the room. Once outside, she let off a heavy sigh and ran her fingers over her face. She was sweating. She was trembling. She peeled her hands away from her face


This continues for quite a while and quite close together in that first paragraph. After that, you manage to use an appropriate mix of her and she. But until then, make sure you chuck in a few more Kai's here! I feel like all we're is she did this and she did that!

Kai’s eyes widened and she slowly sunk to the floor, knees askew and face veiled by her hands.


This is all in italics, even this sentence when I don't think it should be. The italics are only for her thoughts, not her actions as well.

Are you remembering when that one boy broke your heart? What was his name again? Haru?


This seems a bit out of place. Just because Shun sees his friend crying, does he immediately assume it can be for no other reason than because of this boy? Maybe, if you previously mentioned that the only time Shun had ever seen Kai crying had been because of this boy and her heartbreak, then maybe it would be logical to assume that her current pain is associated with that experience. If she cries more often that, then maybe you should just have him start with asking about what's wrong, instead of suggesting something.

Also, I feel like it was a bit weird that Shun got up and immediately showed her all the actions, tiring himself out a bit and all. Usually, people say things instead of proving them first. So maybe have Shun say he can take care of himself, and then have Kai say I don't believe you or something. After that, it would be appropriate for Shun to feel he needs to prove this to her and say something like watch me, and THEN go through all the moves to prove it.

As always, when it comes to your chapters, I don't have much to say. And that's simply because you're such a great writer! I love how this story is developing and coming along, and that we're soon going to be embarking on this seemingly impossible mission. Anything can happen, and I can't wait to see what will happen.

Let me know on my wall or something whenever you post the next chapter!

Deanie x





We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor