Water Lily in the Wind

by Maverick

His humble pond cannot compare
to my aerial realm,
but when his lilylike frame
reflects more clearly in my azure eyes
than the drifting clouds, 
I can see that even a lakeside mist 
has its silver lining. 

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 pm
erilea says...

Maverick, how can I say this? This was awesome. I'm kinda not used to saying that, but whatevs. This poem, however short and mocked it may be, is full of meaning and amazingness. I can't even start to explain how beautiful it is. Feel proud of yourself, Maverick, I don't say that anymore. Ever.

-wisegirl22

Maverick says...

Thank you very much for your kind words! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and ahaha with what you said, I do indeed feel a bit of pride.

erilea says...

You're welcome!

skorlir says...

What a consternating title for a poem about a hawk which finds a frog attractive.

I approve. (Especially so if I just got that wrong, in which case, you are a master of diversion.)

Maverick says...

Ooh, I like the interpretation of hawk and frog :D Although it was metaphorical-ish (and supposed to be about humans), "a hawk which finds a frog attractive" pretty much sums up the behaviours perfectly!

SereneSimpliciT wrote a review...

I'm at a complete loss at the moment, so I'm going to do what fortis did, and go through the lines, but I'll only do the first three (you'll know why in a minute)

"His humble pond cannot compare"

-Alright, decent open. I will agree that 'humble' was a good choice when paired with 'pond', though this does also open the door to early questioning. For me, instead of getting a flower, I get a gardener, who's comparing his garden to either a friend's, neighbor's, whoever, to his own. I know, sounds dumb, but all people will come to their own conclusions.

"to my aerial realm,"

Luckily, I do know the word 'aerial', but I do see also where fortis was coming from. I personally would've phrased it like "to my aerial realm beyond Earth's domain,"
This does imply that the realm is not on earth, while also tying in Earth so that the first line doesn't sound odd.

"but when his lilylike frame"

I just think lanky, I don't know, it's just the first image that popped into my mind when I read the line. Now, doing research, I did find many pictures of water lilies, and as I looked over them, I began to make my own speculations on what the line meant. The first initial idea was that you were detailing that "he" was frail, or shall I say, "delicate" like a water lily, because water lilies are notorious for being hard to maintain and keep alive. So, "he" then becomes something new, and is now transcended from kinda vague to something more than what we originally perceived.
(now going into my own explanation)
Now, instead, 'he' could be a few things;
1. a symbol of frailty. Basically, 'he' takes on the frailty that one may see in life. Whether it be the frailty of home, frailty of society, frailty of self, 'he' is a reflection that the speaker may see these truths through.
2. a child. Children are delicate in the sense that they are at the most impressionable stage of life, and whatever they come to know sets their look on the world, and themselves. "he", maybe a young boy, may be a reflection of possibly the speaker's younger self, their own child, or just an embodiment of youth that speaker sees, and reflects on the delicate nature of youth.
3. a symbol of innocence. This is the one I really did pick, because it kinda does wrap the other two into it. Innocence is something that is very delicate, and quite frail. Innocence normally departs as we grow older and leave our youth, and become adults. So, for a lily, a flower, to embody innocence, makes a lot of sense. Flowers are innocent, so to personify innocence into one, especially a lily (religious reasons), creates a scenario where the speaker may be reflecting on the innocence that was lost to them. When, yes, they weren't aware of the real world around them, and didn't truly understand life's meaning, they were understanding of the truth and peace, and knew nothing of the horror that was reality. So, even though they didn't possess the knowledge they've gained as they've grown, there's a silver lining in the fact that when they did possess innocence, there was no such thing as real evil.

Remember, I got all that from ONE LINE

So, in short, this is a great poem with a lot of depth, at least that's what I saw. You definitely need to continue to write poetry like this, I'm a fan.
Keep going!
~Maddie

Maverick says...

Thanks a lot for the review! First off, everyone can interpret poetry as they want, so if you see a gardener, then hey, "all people will come to their own conclusions" :)

It makes me happy that you could find so much meaning in the poem. I mean, I feel like you made it have so much more worth than what I had in mind! You were spot on the with the use of the word 'lily' for symbolizing innocence and purity (as well as a gentle yet delicate side)- well done with the research!- but I didn't even think it could be the narrator reflecting upon what they had lost.

Man, you gave this some thought, and you probably know that that makes a writer quite satisfied to know readers will do that, so thank you very much :)

jayflames1 says...

wow, your good at reviews. The review is longer than the piece... Teach me your ways.

@jayflames1 it's just practice and knowing how to say what you're thinking in a very drawn out way lol

Rook wrote a review...

This was a beautiful and beautifully simple poem. The last line gave me shivers.

Since this is short, I'll take it line by line.

His humble pond cannot compare

This line was all well and good, but it was kind of... blah for a first line of such a nice poem. You don't actually have to change anything, I just wanted to tell you ^_^
I like the usage of the word "humble." It was the right word. Especially when paired with "pond." Ponds have such poignant sensory details. I don't know if you want to make this longer at all (I wouldn't complain either way), but one thing you could add to this would be the sounds and scents of the pond. I'd love a cattail detail. ^_^
But really, you don't need that.

to my aerial realm,

This line gave me a little pause because I didn't know with aerial meant exactly. I could guess at the meaning, and it turns out I was right, but I still had to look it up because nothing is more annoying than realizing at the end of a poem you've gotten a word wrong. So perhaps you could help the reader find more faith in their knowledge of vocabulary by saying "aerial realm in the clouds," or "that floats on the wind" or some such detail. Do not feel you have to do that, again.

but when his lilylike frame

This made me question a little bit, which might be seen as a good thing, and it might not. I dunno. I'm wondering if this person is human. I'm wondering if they are and actual flower. I'm wondering if he's something else. Let's take this case by case.

1. He's a human. I have absoulutely no idea how a human can have a "lilylike frame." If it's just that he's delicate, say something like "but when his lilylike frame--/ with his pale skin and fragile bones--..." or if he's in the shape of a lily, say something like "but when his lilylike frame--/ legs floated into that tell-tale lotus--..." But I don't know what you mean, and you might need to get rid of "frame" all together, because it doesn't fit to me. Or maybe he has a lilylike frame in another way that I'm not imaginative enough to think of. Again, make that known.

2. He's a flower. Then you wouldn't have to say lilylike because he literally is a lily. And frame wouldn't work here either. I'd suggest saying something else here.

3. It's something else. Well there are no clues saying that it's not either a human or a flower, so this would need some work.

That's all I have to say about that line, other than I do like your word "lilylike" which isn't a word but it's beautiful.

reflects more clearly in my azure eyes

Beautiful line, but I felt it was a bit weird for this being to describe their own eyes. It seems rather self-centered. But you know what? That's not a big problem. c:

The rest of these lines would get only praise. I really like the image that you leave us with though. It is absolutely beautiful.
Thank you for writing this! Keep writing!
~fortis

Maverick says...

Thank you for your review! I agree, the first line could use some spicing up, and I love your suggestion about cattails- I%u2019ll have to work on that. It%u2019s so fitting when talking about ponds. I also was unaware of the confusion on %u2018aerial%u2019, so thank you for pointing that out! I am a bit hesitant to make it longer, as I like its current length, but you bring up good points, so I%u2019ll definitely consider changing it. :)

Now, about the use of lilylike; I did not think it would cause such mystery! The %u2018He%u2019 in this story is in fact human. I used the word lilylike not only because it relates to ponds, but for its ability to compare him to a delicate, pure, and beautiful lily. Frame was merely referring to himself, and I didn%u2019t quite know what other word to use. You have made me see that using the word frame brings more attention to the breakable and weak structure of these flowers, so I%u2019m going to rethink that choice. :P

Also, I agree, describing one%u2019s eyes is self-centered, but I wanted the narrator to be like that ;) Basically, she considers herself above his world, but sees beauty in a place that normally she wouldn't give a second glance.

Anyways, thanks again for your review, it was very helpful! ^^

Maverick says...

Okay, I don't know what happened with the '%u2019' that's going on, so please ignore that ahaha!

skorlir says...

u2019 = "magic quote" = %u2019

It's called Unicode, and the u xxxx numbers/letters are a way for computers to turn symbols and letters into a format they can understand.

Maverick says...

Well, that does make sense, considering I wrote the reply in a separate program and copy-pasted (presumably it uses different code for apostrophes or something- or I could be completely wrong, as I literally have next to no knowledge on this topic aha), but hey, you learn something everyday. Thanks for clarifying! :D

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates