z

Young Writers Society



Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 24

by Aravis10


XXIV

For hours, Asenath alternated between bathing her mother’s body with cold rags and feeding Manasseh. All the while, she sang and made melodies for new harp songs. She didn’t see Amnon or Joseph all day. They were too busy figuring out the future of Potipherah’s estate.

Reziya called a local healer who arrived at the time of the evening meal. He was bent over with age and had a lazy eye. He sent Asenath into the adjoining room where Manasseh slept. She fumed as he closed the door behind her.

Manasseh was awake. He played with the streams of light reflected on the wall from the fading sun. Asenath tustled his black hair, curly like his father’s, soft like his mother’s.

He stared at her with his big eyes and smiled. He seemed to be saying, “What’s wrong, momma? Life is so beautiful. Why are you sad?”

But death is so ugly.

She say against the door, listening. She heard murmurs of the healer’s incantations. “Elohim?” she whispered. “Are you here? I’ve been singing, but my heart is crying. You feel so far away. Back at home, in Joseph’s worship room, it’s easy to feel You. But here, there seems to be a cloud. You let my father die. And my father is sick too. What are you doing? And I have a child on the way. I am overwhelmed.”

The room filled with the bitter smell of incense. The light faded, and Manasseh started screaming.

Just then, Joseph entered from a side door. He held a bright candle. Manasseh stopped crying and clapped his pudgy hands when he saw his father. When he saw his distraught wife, he ran to her side. “What is going on? Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, but Mother…”

“Reziya told me when I came out of that stuffy office. But, don’t worry. Oni found someone to watch her children. Once that healer comes out, she will watch your mother.”

“No, I have to be there for her when she wakes.”

“You will be. I’m just taking you away for an hour or two. We both need a break.”

“But Manasseh…”

“You have taken care of him all day. I’m sure Reziya will watch him for a few hours.”

“What are we doing?”

“My surprise. Meet me in our room when the healer is finished.” Joseph left the room with a sly grin on his face.

Seconds later, Oni flew in and wrapped her arms around Asenath. “I am so sorry for your loss. I’m here to help. I packed your most comfortable outfits and a few nice things for dinners in your chests. They are in your room. And I remembered to grab a few of Manasseh’s toys.”

“Thank you. You always know what I need.”

The healer opened the door. “She should only have broth and coriander honey tea. Keep the cool clothes on and massage her hands and feet every half an hour. If she doesn’t wake in the next twenty-four hours, I will come back.” After leaving some bottles of oils for the massage, he left.

Oni squeezed Asenath’s hand. “I will do all he says. And I will continue to pray. Go ahead.” Oni shooed her out of the room.

Asenath made her way to her room, a little confused.

This wasn’t the original plan.

She opened the door to her room.

Joseph wore a plain white tunic around his waist and bowed. “At your service, my lady. Except you have to do what I say.” He winked.

“What foolish game are you playing? I hope you aren’t going to act like a silly school boy. You are thirty-two!”

“Well, if this is a game, you will have more fun if you play along.”

Asenath crossed her arms.

“Please?”

I can never resist him when he gives me that face.

“OK.”

“Good! Unstrap your sandals, take off that dirty wig, and change into this.” He handed her a plain white tunic embroidered with white roses.

She stripped off her tunic that was soiled with dirt and sweat and slipped on the new one. It felt smooth and cool against her skin. Then, she took off her wig and let her silky tresses loose.

Joseph nodded approvingly. “Better. Now sit.” He pointed to a seat on the balcony. “Let’s get off that dirt.” He dipped a cloth into a silver bowl.

“I can…”

“May I?”

She closed her eyes in consent.

He gently wiped the remaining dirt off her face and neck, then dried them with a towel. “Now I can see your face!”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I just want you to know that even though we are not ‘newlyweds’ and we are both busy, you are still my queen.”

How sweet!

He bathed her feet in the silver bowl.

“I remember the first time you did this.”

“Me too.”

“I thought you were out of your mind.”

“Some say that love is like insanity.”

“Obviously. I had to be crazy to love you,” she teased.

“That’s true.”

“Almost done?”

“No, I have to do your hair.”

“Hair? What do you know about hair?”

“You might be surprised.”

He grabbed a bottle of perfume from her vanity, poured some into his hands, and lathered it in her hand. A few times he pulled her hair, but it didn’t hurt too much.

“Will you sing me one of your Hebrew songs?”

Joseph chuckled. “You know I don’t sing well.”

“Please? You said that you were at my service.”

“As you wish, my lady.” Joseph started to sing. His deep voice bellowed out haunting tunes.

Asenath did not know what he was saying, but it always cast a spell over her. She swayed slowly to the music.

While he sang he parted her hair into three sections and wove them together. He finished the song as he finished her hair.

“What does it mean?”

“It is a song one of my great-grandfather’s friends wrote. It means,

‘Where were you when Elohim laid the foundations of the earth? Have you perceived the breadth of the earth? Where is the way where light dwells? Have you entered into the treasures of the snow or seen the treasures of hail? Hath the rain a father? Who begat the drops of dew? I know that Elohim can do anything, for these things are too wonderful for me. I have heard of Elohim by the hearing of the ear, but now my eyes see Him.’”

He plaited white water lilies in her hair. Taking her by the hand, he led her to a mirror. “What do you think about my hair styling abilities now?”

She ran her fingers over the twisted hair, like smooth rope.

“It’s called a braid. The princesses in Canaan wear their hair like that. I watched my sister Dinah do it many times, I got pretty good at it.”

“It’s amazing! I haven’t felt this beautiful since, well, our wedding day.”

Joseph wrapped his arms around his neck. “You are always beautiful. I just wanted you to remember how beautiful you really are.” Joseph took her hand. “Come on.”

“What now?”

“You’ll see.”

Hand in hand they ran barefoot down the dark passageways.

“Joseph! I feel like a little girl.”

“Loosen up! Sometimes it’s OK to be a little girl.”

Loosen up.

Asenath giggled. “You’re right. Can you go faster?”

“I can run with wings if you want!” Joseph picked up the pace.”

Asenath’s tunic fluttered about her, her braid thumped rhythmically against her back.

Just like old times.

When they reached the end of the corridor, Joseph opened the door to some stairs. A cool breeze drifted down the stairwell. They ascended to the flat roof.

“Will you star gaze with me?” Joseph said as he lay on a blanket.

Asenath glanced out at Egypt, masked in shadowy darkness. Then, she snuggled up against Joseph. The stars sprawled out as far as the eye could see. The moon shined a sliver of light onto the lovers. The sky sparkled with stars like a deep blue garment studded with diamonds.

She breathed deeply of the clean air. “This is perfect. Thank you Joseph.”

“Mmm.” He laced his fingers into hers. They gazed in peaceful silence for a few minutes.

“The stars make me think,” Asenath said.

“About what?”

“Well, Elohim made the stars in one breath so He is so much bigger than them. And I am so small. Does He even care about one little Egyptian woman? Sometimes I doubt that He can even hear me.”

Joseph leaned closer. His loose curly hair brushed up against her skin. “Sometimes I feel the same way.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Then I remind myself that Elohim took so much more time making me than the stars. He cares for us so much more.”

“But why does He not listen to us?”

“What do you mean?”

“When my father was dying, I asked Elohim to save him, but…” Silent tears rolled down her cheeks.

Joseph bathed her face in soft kisses. “I don’t have all the answers for your grief. But I know that Elohim’s plans are always best for us.”

I know, I know.

“It still hurts.”

“Of course it does. But Elohim knows how to change pain into praise.”

“Clever.”

“I try.”

Asenath giggled.

He always does this to me!

“So, what can we praise Elohim for?”

“Our home, loving friends, faithful servants, Manasseh, and…” She hesitated.

Joseph lifted his left eyebrow. “And?”

“And… you are a daddy again!”

Joseph sat up and stared at her. “You’re pregnant?”

Asenath’s face gleamed in the starlight. “Yes.”

“Pregnant! Praise Elohim!” He pulled her up and whirled her around, dancing and laughing. “I’m a daddy again!” Gently, he set her down, squatted, and kissed her belly. “I love you already.” Looking up he said, “Asenath, you have made me a very happy man. See, Elohim does change pain into praise, death into life!”

For the next few hours, they dreamed up baby names and plans. Asenath showed Joseph all the Egyptian constellations, and he taught her the Hebrew names.

All these things are too wonderful for me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:04 am
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Hmm, to be honest I'm just not too sure about this chapter. It seemed rather stiff in spots, but then smooth in others. The fact that this is a chapter just full of romance is something that I'm not really used to when reading something of yours. There has maybe been one chapter I believe that had a decent amount of romance in there, and I wasn't sure about that one either. I'm assuming it's really that genre of writing that you need to work on.

What my main concern on this, is that it was very cliche sounding. I mean, star gazing? Really? First thing I thought was, geez... what's with them? They be acting kinda childish. And not just with the star gazing. The whole thing. I mean, it was beautiful in some spots, but in others... well okay, the part when he's washing her face was beautiful. The idea that represented was. Not how it was put. Seemed rather empty and just overly sappy. I don't think that's really what you're going for here.

Maybe, if you try and go for a more emotional outlook on it. Try and describe feelings, instead of general appearances, and what they are doing. Of course you do need to tell us where they are, but don't make that the main thing. Him kissing her and bathing her face is awfully sweet and all, but it's not really that emotional. Nor descriptive enough for that matter (for feelings that is). So yeah, go for describing more of her feelings on this, rather than the descriptions of the setting and such. (But don't forget those as well. Just focus more on feelings is all)

I can never resist him when he gives me that face.


Ugh, I hate it when guys do that. You just can't say no! But describe the facial expression here, instead of just telling us that she can't resist his face.

How sweet!


Bleh, this is just childish and sappy. Make me feel that this is totally awesome and sweet of Joseph!

Alright, those are really the only nitpicks that I have. Your works are getting more difficult for me to nitpick it seems.

The only thing I can really say to do, is to work on this romance thing. It's really irritating me. I mean, most things you have right. But the feeling that it gives isn't that nice. I just get the feeling that they're being sappy is all. Sorry if this review was harsh. xD :D Wasn't meant to be at all.

Keep writing!

~Cricket




Aravis10 says...


That's ok! I need people to tell it to me straight more than people who will just flatter me (not that anybody on this site has done that)



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:44 pm
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



It looks like I have few chapters to catch up on!!! Those I will conquer on Review Day, but for now, I'd like to get a little head start with this one. ;)

You let my father die. And my father is sick too.

Mother, not father!
She opened the door to her room.

Joseph wore a plain white tunic...

It would be nice if you could quickly mention that Joseph was in the room before jumping forward and describing him.
“OK.”

Sometimes it’s OK to be a little girl.”

For these examples, it is more formal to spell "OK" out as "okay."
Joseph picked up the pace.”

There's an extra little quotation mark at the end.
The stars sprawled out as far as the eye could see. The moon shined a sliver of light onto the lovers. The sky sparkled with stars like a deep blue garment studded with diamonds.

This was a nice section of imagery, but it could use some editing to make it better. First, you talked about stars, then the moon, then the stars again. Here is how I would reword this: "The sky sparkled with stars like a deep blue garment studded with diamonds, sprawled out as far as the eye could see. The moon shined a silver light onto the lovers, providing the only light for miles." That last part was something that I threw in that you'd probably like to replace with something else, but I had to fill in that sentence to make it sound nicer.

Awww! That ending is adorable!! Like r4p, I have to leave very soon, so I'll have to wrap this up quicker than I would have hoped. This was another great chapter of a wonderful length. I'm happy that Asenath (and your readers) were able to take a break from all the sick people and visit with Joseph. I'm so excited for Review Day so I can read more! :D Superb job!




Aravis10 says...


I like how you re-worded that! I will look expectantly towards review day! :)



User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 15489
Reviews: 179

Donate
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:29 pm
View Likes
r4p17 wrote a review...



Happy writing! Wait nvm that goes at the end. Anyhoots—Knight r4 here to finally get caught up on reviewing! Whew. I better hurry though. I have to live in 50 mins. I hope this helps you! Oh and btw the Order of Dragons is a sub order of the Knights of the green room. Hence my *normal* introduction to every review. ;) I also have a hundred review in it! *Jumping jacks*

For hours, Asenath alternated between bathing her mother’s body with cold rags and feeding Manasseh.
What about Asenath I thought Resiya was going to get her food?

And my father is sick too.
I think you meant to say mother here since her father is already dead.

Once that healer comes out, she will watch your mother.”
This is a really minor nitpick, but I think that comes should be goes. *is such a grammar Nazi*

“Some say that love is like insanity.”
Hahaha! This is SOOOO true!!!

“Well, Elohim made the stars in one breath so He is so much bigger than them.
I am glad that you decided to highlight this part. I think the same thing! I guess great minds actually do think alike after all. ;)

But I know that Elohim’s plans are always best for us.”
This is also very true. :) I like to think of God like a light. Sometimes his answer is green other times it is yellow and other times it is red. But he DOES know what' sanest for us.

Overall this was another good chapter! The only thing was I thought that there was a little too much romance :(. You should really put that up as one of you genre's that would be a little better than narrative. :P Every book has narrative. Anyhoots, I look forward to reading more of this! Happy writing!!! :D

This review courtesy of
Image




Aravis10 says...


Yeah, I guess it was sort of romance. I just don't think of it at a romance book. Thanks for your review! My notifications are being dumb so I just saw this today. It was a great surprise!



Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm
HarshR says...



I read your piece of story. I liked it. You can write even more better than this. Keep going on....





It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain