Dawn of the Daughter of God-Chapter Five

by ThereseCricket

Author's Note: OK, for those that have read my earlier chapters, I would really appreciate some feedback on where do you think Jean's character is heading, and if you think this is going too slow. Also, any nitpicks with grammar, and stylistic issues would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Her jaw muscles twitched, and for a second Jean thought she was going to ask him another equally uncomfortable question. But her eyes only remained steadily affixed to his face for a few moments, and then slid away.

“The line is moving,” he said quietly, motioning towards the long train of men behind them.

Joan dipped her head, and then turned to look at the dusty trail ahead. “What will you do if we get caught in a witch hunt?”

“That would be up to Sier de Gourcout. Unless you say otherwise, he will make the final decision,” Jean said.

He twitched the reins, and moved his horse away from hers. “We probably won’t encounter any trouble along the way, with the witch hunt. The main problem is the English.”

She nodded and carefully pushed her horse towards the front line. As Jean turned to follow, he could feel the change of air current on his face and hair. The wind had turned hot and dry. And it was starting to blow hard.

Jean’s eyes narrowed and he turned his horse around to look towards the left side of the road. Through the thick passing of soldiers he could see the trees branches starting to toss, and the shadows deepen.

Strange weather for this part in the Valley, he thought. Warily pulling back on the reins he turned his back to the main stream of men and watched the forest.

Still looks the same, he thought drily. The trees just look darker. Maybe…

Chewing his lip, he fought down the sudden twist of uneasiness that had started to knot up in his stomach.

It really wasn’t just the weather that was worrying him so much. The look in Sier de Gourcout’s eyes was one of amusement. Like that of a parent trying to trick their child into thinking that they are having their way in an argument.

“Just do your job, and let everybody else worry about the rest,” he muttered to himself.

You were ordered to be her squire, he thought. Just protect only her and ignore all the disasters around you.

Gripping the sides of his horse he rode slowly through the mass of men towards where Jean now was. At the head of the men, riding alongside Sier de Gourcout and the Archbishop of Reims.

Jean frowned and stared at the middle aged man that he had always known as simply the Archbishop of Reims. What was his name? He wondered to himself. I don’t remember it.

Doesn’t matter, he decided. I’ll just ask Joan about it later…

The leaves underneath his horse’s hooves could be heard, with their un-mistakable crunch, as Jean gradually wove through the mass of men, finally coming to where Joan was.

Breathing in the clear brisk morning air, he found that from behind and beyond, the rolling peaks of the countryside could be seen. The golden sun rose out of the west and behind its hills, glinting off the shiny metal armor that the burly French men wore.

Joan brushed some strands of hair out of her face with a slender hand, and cautiously looked at him. Her horse wandered next to his, and she gripped her reins tightly.

She spoke softly, her voice filling his head, making it hard for him to think properly. “You do not understand your actions, do you?”

His fists balled in anger and he glared at her, eyes narrowing and filling with hate. “There are several things that I do not understand, but I have done nothing that I regret.”

“What do you not understand?” she asked, her voice lowering to the point of a whisper.

“I don’t need your help in anything,” he lashed out, his face white and the pupils of his eyes going to pinpoints. “You shouldn’t be here, commanding the army or even associating yourself with such matters of war.”

Joan’s mouth twitched and the corners turned slightly down. “That is not for you to say,” she reprimanded. “God sent me here to lead the armies of France to victory!”

“How do you know it was God, who sent you?” Jean shot back, not caring that heads were turning now, upon hearing their raised voices.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Jean saw the Archbishop glancing at them, a smile playing across his mouth. Let him think what he wants, Jean thought.

“What do you mean?” Joan blustered, her face now turning red with anger. “Are you now suggesting that the Devil possesses me?”

“If I had wanted to suggest that, then I would have said so,” Jean replied coldly.

A streak of red was planted across her face, showing Jean that she was angrier than he had ever dreamed of making her be. “That will be enough from you, soldier,” she said, her voice calm with anger.

Jean smirked. “Are you now telling me what to do, after all I’ve done for you?”

“I don’t want to be your commander, but a friend to you,” Joan replied. “But you’re stepping out of line now. I’m sorry.”

Jean smiled wryly, a light coming into his brown eyes and shining through its depths. “I can understand that. But you need to understand that I’ve never taken an order from a woman before, and this just might be a bit difficult.”

Joan shrugged her shoulders, and glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. “If I had a choice in this, I would gladly not give you orders and let a man do it, but God told me to do this, and I cannot disobey.”

Flipping the reins over, he curved the rough leather around his hand. “God does a lot of stuff that I don’t understand. This is only one of them.”

The last sentence he uttered softly, bending his head and flicking his brown hair out of his eyes. Every line of his body—that had looked graceful and lean a few moments ago—now seemed awkward and stiff.

Instead of trying to ask him more, like he had expected her to do, she simply nodded and fixed her eyes on the road ahead.

Grimacing, he also turned towards the road, not caring that everybody’s eyes were on them. Not caring that he had spoken to the figurehead of the army of France, like she was some child that was in need of a scolding.

Just as well, he thought. There were plenty of witnesses to this, and I don’t think any of them would have too much trouble reporting me to Charles.

A cooling wind swept through Jean’s hair, letting him release all his trouble into it, and forget what had just happened. The dusky road—ahead and behind—was full of the stampeding prints that had been left by herds of animals long gone now.

But now a steady stream from the French army was streaming down the road, pulling wagons, their wheels clattering and rain water splashing as they went through huge potholes.

Not exactly the best time of year to travel with such a large amount of cavalry, Jean thought, turning around with a grimace on his face.

“What’s that?” Joan asked, pointing her finger towards the center of the road a couple hundred yards ahead. Her face had turned a shade of grey, and her dark eyes were full of sorrow, at the thought of what it might be.

Jean—interrupted from his thoughts—looked to where she was pointing.

Even though the glaring sun was now in his eyes, Jean could make out the body of a woman. A young one it seemed, but poorly dressed.

Riding closer, he could see the tangled ropes lying around her bloody body, burns showing through her clothing. Her raven hair, which must have been pulled back in a braid earlier, was now in a tangled mess off to the side.

Looking back towards the line of men that had slowly stopped, from the appearance of the girl, he could see Joan lifting her hand up to her eyes and peering ahead, trying to pierce through the sun’s light.

Waving his hand, as to beckon her over, Jean got off his horse. His jaw twitched in irritation as his foot caught in the stirrups.

Kneeling down on the cold dirt road, he took her hand and checked her pulse. She was still breathing.

“What’s wro-“Joan started, coming up behind Jean. Her voice stopped and faltered when she saw the blood on the small body.

Now that Jean was closer, he could see that she was no more than a child. Maybe fifteen at best.

“This might have been what I was afraid of,” Jean said, his mouth corners turning down grimly. “Although, I don’t know why they would choose such a young girl as their source to hunt. I’ve never heard of such a thing.”

Joan turned and glanced towards the rows of soldiers, once again impatiently waiting to get a move on. Like waves, they surged back and forth with impatience.

The Archbishop’s aged face could be seen staring in their direction, not moving. But it was clouded and angry.

“We might want to get her on a stretcher, and out of the road,” she said softly. “The army needs to continue moving before we go off schedule. I’ll send my Page, Louis, to get one of the doctor’s. They can help her.”

Jean nodded, and stood up. He could feel his long lanky legs complaining as he did so, his ankle top boots scraping across the ground.

Why didn’t our men find her, when they went ahead to scout? He wondered to himself. She was lying right in the middle of the road… just around the twist. They couldn’t have not seen her! Unless…

Here Jean bit his lip, and looked down at the slender face of the girl. This couldn’t be a trap, right? To throw us off our guard…

Dismissing the thought as pure imagination, he stepped away and left the page to look over her, while he mounted his horse.

The breeze had died down now, and the sun was beginning to shine down brightly. It began to feel sweltering hot, as Jean and Joan rode back towards the army, leaving behind a page to tend to the girl, while they waited for the doctor to come from the back of the lines.

Jean wiped the perspiration off his forehead, wishing that he had something to else to put it on, besides his shirt sleeve. Urging his horse faster—Jean moved forward—ahead of Joan.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:56 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Ok so, I'm going to come across as extremely harsh and mean in comparison to the others. Partially because that's my role to help you, also is because all the good things has already being said. I'm actually just here to offer opinion on Jean's character because most of my critiques has already been mentioned.

Ok, so you wanted feedback on Jean's character? Alright, here goes. Before I do though, *hands over some gauze and bandages* just in case you die of blood-loss. I agree with Deanie that Jean needs to interact more with the other, so far I've only see interaction between Joan and Jean and boy, that is getting a bit dry. And with Jean, his changes in attitude is rather abrupt as well. While I was reading this, I thought in some areas that maybe Jean is displaying romantic interest towards Joan. In fact even in your earlier chapters from how Jean was looking at Joan, but then there are other times when Jean acts like a complete jerk to her. And the two sides are very contradictory with each other. To me, Jean isn't the type to loose his temper like that despite the fact that he has never taken orders from a woman before. I also don't think he's the type to smirk or to mock people, but I'm not you. But that was my first impression. For me, (me only I don't know about others), I'm getting a very limited perspective on Jean's thoughts and actions because his only interaction is with Joan. There is also a fair amount of stream of consciousness, but once again they are all focused either on the battle or on Joan. I would like to see what he thinks about other things, I mean he can't just think about Joan or the battle ALL THE TIME, right?

To be honest, I'm not sure where Jean is headed. Is quite cloudy for me, at first I thought he was the honest, if not down-to-earth type. I mean he's nice, generically nice but he's obviously got a mean-streak in him as well. We can see that he doesn't believe in God, unlike Jean and he seems to be fairly goal-orientated. Aside from that, I'm really not sure. I haven't read your future chapters as of yet, but it'd be good to start showing the readers some more specific aspects of Jean. Like, what makes him special and standout from the others. I mean, Jean has potential to be a great character. I can see it.

-Flite

omigosh, I'm so sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! I didn't get a notification and only saw this when going through all the chapters.

Alright, I totally get everything you're saying. Honestly, you didn't come across to me as harsh, because half of my other reviewers were saying the exact same thing. And reading through the different chapters, I see the points that you brought up. Perhaps, is the now the time to start working on his character as like a little thing for 2015, eh? :)

One thing that I would like to clear up, is that Jean does believe in God. He's in fact very devout about his religion. Looking through, though, again... I see that is my fault. I'm going to have to work on this. Thank you so much! You weren't harsh at all. Just truthful, and that is what I needed. :D

Thank you! <3

Apricity says...

x.x When I didn't see you comment I thought you hated my review. Actually that just reminded me, I've gotta catch up with the rest of your chapters.

xD Thanksss.

Yeah, sorry about not replying. Must have been a glitch or something. :D

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:27 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review! Apparently I started this review on Review Day and didn't finish it. Bad Noelle, bad. xD

I don't think this is moving too slow at all! I mean, this is all leading up to the big battle where Joan fights for France, right? I don't think you can take too much time getting there. It's your ultimate goal and you don't want to rush getting there.

He twitched the reins, and moved his horse away from hers.

I don't know if twitch would be a way to describe this action. Twitching to me always seems to be an action that someone does. Besides, Jean has been riding horses for a while, yes? Even not, he knows enough about them to be riding one. Wouldn't there be a certain way that he moved the reigns in order to get his horse moving again? I'm not saying that you have to study how to ride a horse and what kind of movement of the reigns makes the horse move, but maybe think of using a different word.

There are a few paragraphs near the beginning of this chapter in which Jean is moving his horse from one spot to another. First he moves his horse away from Joan, then he turns his horse back to hers, then he turns his horse to look into the forest, then he turns his horse back again. That's a lot of turning :3 I'd suggest having him look in those directions instead of having him move his horse around. It just gives me a very... amusing image in my mind. It kinda made me think of a horse turning around in circles, which I'm sure wasn't your intention ;)

Your writing is great. I don't think I've ever told you before, but I truly enjoy reading your work. There's just something about the way you write that makes me want to keep reading and reading. It's seems so effortless and it flows wonderfully. Sure there are some grammar mistakes in there, but who doesn't make grammar mistakes? I really enjoy reading what you write and the story really comes to life.

I always feel bad when I review this novel because I barely have anything to say. I'm always super late so everyone has already said what I was going to say, but I also find it hard to point out anything to mention. Like I just said, your writing is great. If there was one thing I could say about this novel though, is that you seem to be focusing heavily on Jean and Joan. That's great, seeing as the story is about them, but at the same time there are other characters around them. How are they reacting to all of this? You can't convince me that Jean and Joan are the only two that have conversations and make decisions. There are other characters. Use them.

I'll check out the next chapters soon!

**Noelle**

Sorry, I didn't reply to this sooner.

I see what you mean by him constantly turning. What it was, I believe at least, was that I was just trying to make them seem like they were doing something, but I couldn't quite figure out how to do it back then. After reading your reviews, I think I finally pinpointed that. Thank you for that.

The other thing that you talked about with Jean and Joan being the only two that I talk about... Yeah, that is a problem. Sorry, about that. That's something that another reviewer told me about, and I had to focus on for quite a while. I don't think I've mastered it so far, but I think I got a start! Thanks for touching on it. I know it's pretty big problem, and it's good to see that somebody caught onto it.

Thank you! <3

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 pm
Evander wrote a review...

Hi, sister!

I have gone through and read the previous chapters, and I must say I love them! I am loving the concept of Joan of Arc being sent by God! (Plus, this is also making do more history, so excuse my while I pull up a Wikipedia page.)

Before I dig myself even deeper into this review, I must say that I am on my phone. So, I (your YWS sister) apologize for every foolish mistake.

First of all, "drily" is spelled "dryly." I have gone around asking several YWSers and they say "dryly." ;)
I also love how you used that to describe the surroundings with just Jean's thoughts. It was a way to inform the reader without a whole paragraph of description.

Joan has a famous volatile temper which was displayed wonderfully here, I could see her anger and irritation. When her voice dropped to a whisper, I was scared.
I get Jean's not being able to adjust to taking orders from a... woman. If you had spent your whole life with woman being lesser than men, then BAM a woman who claims to be sent by God to command a whole army. I would be a little angry and confused myself.

According to this site, Joan (or Jehanne d’Arc :) ), has been diagnosed by modern doctors and scholars with disorders ranging from epilepsy to schizophrenia.

Around the age of 12 or 13, Joan of Arc apparently began hearing voices and experiencing visions, which she interpreted as signs from God.

So, the voices she is hearing could just be... craziness. Or, Joan might have been talked to by the Lord. Either way, I like how you kept the voices included.

I am very intrigued by the ending, a possible new character was added! I can't wait to find out who she is, and what happened to her!

Keep on writing, sis!

Raven,

awww, thank you sooo much little sister! XD My intent in portraying Jean not liking Joan leading was not to mean that he thought she was less than a man, but rather it wasn't her place in the army. I see I'll have to work on that a little. Thank you soo much for that nitpick! I'll edit it as soon as possible! :D

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:30 pm
megsug wrote a review...

Hey Therese~
I got your PM. Now, I only read those first two chapters. I'm a terrible person. *sobs* I'll do my best.

Wow. This was good. As Deanie said, your description here was practically flawless. There was no slogging through huge paragraphs, but your tasty morsels of description were enough to enable us to see around us.

First thing:

he could see the tangled ropes lying around her bloody body, burns showing through her clothing.

Burns don't really bleed. Depending on how bad the burn is, they might blister. I think these burns are probably worse though. These burns probably have removed a layer of skin which depending on her skin color and, again, how badly she was burned can be a pinkish red color to a whitish yellow. I think it might have something to do with the flames cauterizing the blood vessels around the wounds, but blood isn't a big thing with burns. They weep which involves a clear fluid. I'm not sure what it is though. Regardless of the name, it would give her burns a shiny appearance. I googled burns for images. Twas gross. Don't suggest doing it, but it might help.

Secondly with this girl, if she was considered a witch then she was burned at the stake, I'm assuming? Now, I may be wrong, but I think that this kind of punishment wouldn't be the type of thing you survive. I know that most victims died before the fire ever reached them from smoke inhalation. Plus, to stop her from being burned to a crisp, the people punishing her would either have to pull her off of the stake or put the fire out. Since she's being burned for witchcraft, they wouldn't really make that effort, would they? I think the fact that she's alive should be a red flag for these characters. I mean, it just doesn't add up.

Tiny nitpick:
Like waves, they surged back and forth with impatience.

Whoa, this army isn't very disciplined if they're not standing still. Most soldiers would be trained not to move.

Okay. That's what I've got. I'm sorry I couldn't focus on Jean, but I haven't read chapter three or four, so I haven't seen all of his progress, not to mention Deanie and timmy pretty much covered everything I would've said about him anyways.

I'm impressed with the pacing of this chapter. I feel you've balanced the elements well, and it leads to a very nice flowing chapter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Keep writing,
Megs~

Ohh, I see what you mean! *looks down* I think this is like the third time I've been scolded for this burn thing... thanks for telling me! I really needed your help on this! I'll let youuu know if I have any questions later on... lol I think you did a smashing job with covering that burn problem. Thanks a million Megs! :D

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Thereseeee! *stretches name*

Firstly, I want to say thank you for waiting oh so patiently for me to get here! I came as quickly as I could do.

What I love so much about this chapter is your descriptive language. You describe the setting and scenery so well, and not all in one big chunk as well. I would have to say, it's one of my favourite things about your writing. On top of that, you describe their physical appearance in the same way, in lovely little bits. Keep that up because I love reading it. As well as that, I have a lot fewer nitpicks to pull out of your chapter as well (generally less feedback, really) which means either your writing is getting better or my reviewing skills worse. I think the first out of them both!

You wanted feedback on where Jean's character is heading. As for if the story is going too slow, I think the pacing is perfect. Seeing as on the journey you are always throwing something new in there, like a witch hunt possibility or a girl covered in blood, then it's no problem. Obstacles in the journey and how they deal with them is always good to know. I am looking forwards to what happens when they get there, but take your time with it ^.^

As for his character, on the outside it's good. We know what he looks like, we know his opinions of Joan and all she's doing, and we know him a squire pretty well and how he feels about being giving tasks and so on. But what I don't know about him that I would like to is his own values. His morals. What will he put up and won't that has seemingly nothing to do with Joan and this missions? Does he have a family he cares for and loves above all else? What does he do when he isn't working? And throwing difficult situations at him where the choice might need to be based on morals and what you think is right could also get us to know him more. I feel like we know him as you would know a co-worker, not as you would know a friend. And I think it's a good idea for characters to be readers friends?

Her jaw muscles twitched, and for a second Jean thought she was going to ask him another equally uncomfortable question.

Seeing as this is the first line in the chapter, don't use 'her'. A chapter is like a small end, and at the end you just need to assume the reader put the book down for a while. We need the name so we know who the 'her' is referring to.

Gripping the sides of his horse he rode slowly through the mass of men towards where Jean now was.

In this case I think you mean Joan. Seeing as Jean can't ride to where Jean is >.>

One thing I've also noticed is that they keep having the same argument. It gets a bit repetitive and, I will admit, a little bit boring. I feel like they're always arguing about how Jean needs to understand her voices or the fact that he is getting his orders from a woman, who shouldn't be at war. Which was okay the first time, and it would be understandable if they did it again later on (not yet though, sooner into the future) seeing as the whole novel is based on Joan who is so important because she was a very ... different person. But at the moment these arguments are repeating too close to each other.

The good thing is that they are always bringing different reasoning to the argument. In this case it was Jean challenging where her voices were coming from, and implying that they weren't God's words at all. And who knows? Maybe you need to comply the good reasoning ideas for the argument and keep them together so you can use them in a big argument later on? I would want to remove the argument from this chapter and replace it with something else, but I wouldn't want to lose the good implication there you make Jean use.

One thing is that so far, all Jean does is talk to Jean, and occasionally other important people. It would be good to see him mingle with some of the other soldiers. Here their thoughts on the mission ahead, on what they think of being run by a woman, what they think of the girl in the middle of the alleyway. Are they all eager to fight or are some not happy to be there? Maybe there will even be one or two that Jean gets to know surprisingly well. Just some food for thought.

Whoa, he changed emotions quickly! Maybe show him calming down before he speaks. Mention that he takes a breath, exhales, relaxing the tension in his shoulders and feeling the sun warm his skin. And then he speaks. That way you show him gearing himself up to talk calmly and change mood, instead of him doing it so suddenly.

Joan turned and glanced towards the rows of soldiers, once again impatiently waiting to get a move on.

Hm, this confused me. Is Joan impatiently waiting, or the soldiers? You need to clarify that. Either way, I think whichever of them is too impatient to care is super rude xD But that has nothing to do with editing your story.

Therese, this was an awesome chapter. Continue to write with such talent. It's evident your writing is only getting better, and this story is developing quite nicely ^^ Drop a link on my wall whenever the next chapter is posted!

Deanie x

THANK YOUUUUU LIVVY!!!!! You're such an amazing reviewer and friend! I'll work on all of that! :D

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

I see what you mean. Working with Jean's personality and making him change throughout the story has been difficult, but I think you have done very well with it, until this chapter. When doing a character arc, remember to keep that arc in motion--and not going back the other way. Jean seems to be skipping all over the place in this story so far, not really doing an arc of a personality, and changing with every tide. In the last chapter, he was seeming to change to become a person who believed in her. In this chapter, he seems to have done a complete personality change. He doesn't believe in her--not in the slightest--and it seems as though he thinks he will be damned if he does. A little contradictory, unless you are trying to make the struggle seem like he is on a wobbling thingymajigur, and can't make up his mind.

I do like their conversations, because while they might seem a tad on the extreme (especially if you take into account their friendliness mere moments before, if you remember part four) you can really see their personalities, and their emotions shine while reading this. I really like how you bring our attention to their faces, and what they look like. How they act when they say it. The way you describe their actions during the dialogue relaly makes it a visual scene.

I admit being totally ignorant of the witch hunts, but the information you give us is ever wanting. It seems as though you are holding back a little bit, and I hope that the reason is that you are going to give us more in the following chapters. As it is, think of your reader as a 21st century dweeb, without any knowledge of witches or anything associated with the whatever-century-this-is kind of time. So taking that, make your story desriptions and explanations, and just keep in mind that most of your readers will have no idea what is going on when you call out a "Witch Hunt" because most people don't know about stuff like that. I am not saying more clarification right now. I am saying for you to make sure that there is some in the future, so we understand more.

I think you are really getting a handle on his historical fiction, though. I read this, and I don't see anything out of place, nothing that looks too new for the scene. I read through this, and I felt like I had been transported through time, back to that place and time in history. Even their dialogue, which is obviously not how they talked (probably in French back then) is written in a newish way, but still adding in hints as to who they are, and what their roots are.

Keep going!
~Darth Timmyjake

Thank youuu Timmy! I will work on his character arc more! :D

ShadowTony1 says...

Timmy, may I ask that you review my stories too, your reviews are more indepth and could possibly help me :D.

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace