z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Revenge's Shadow Chapter 2

by TigersMoon


Sorry this took so long to post. I went on a vacation. Well, here it is!

Exiurim walked out of Mercy’s office, along with everyone else. Exiurim. Exiurim. She kept saying her name in her head. I guess it kind of has a ring to it.

“Hello.” Exiurim looked to her side. A sixteen year-old was standing next to her.

“Hello,” Exiurim said. “What’s your name? Or code name,” Exiurim asked.

“Gray Moon,” the girl answered. Gray Moon. I can see why they call you that. Gray Moon’s eyes were big and, well, gray. “Come on,” she said, reaching for Exiurim’s hand, “I’ll show you where we sleep.”

One week had passed since Exiurim joined the team. If you could call it that. These people hardly helped each other. Sometimes they would practice fight together, but still, they don’t seem to like each other. Just then, the door opened to the bedroom. Or dorm or whatever kind of room that has five people stuffed in it.

The person walked over to her bed, pitch black hair flowing over her back. It was Abyss. Gray Moon had introduced Exiurim to a couple of the teammates. Abyss was probably twenty, and was friends with Redstreak. Well, not friends, but they talk to each other occasionally. Redstreak was twenty one. Exiurim assumed she got her name from her blood red hair that went just below her shoulders. Exiurim didn’t like her very much. She always acted like she was better, or more important than everyone else. Maybe she was. Perhaps Mercy has favorites. But there was something about Redstreak’s pale green eyes. Exiurim felt like she had seen them before.

The door swung open again, only this time Redstreak was in the doorway. “Get up!” she growled. “Gray Moon, Exiurim. Mercy has a mission for us.”

Exiurim sat up in bed. A mission? What kind of mission?

“Come on! Let’s go!” Redstreak ordered. Exiurim got out of her bed and ambled over to Redstreak. Gray Moon was right behind her.

They walked down the hallway toward the door to outside. “Gray Moon,” Redstreak began “Go get Blight. He’s coming with us.”

Blight. Exiurim didn’t like Blight. He was annoying and boastful, even though he probably couldn’t do half the things he said he could.

Gray Moon opened the door nearest to the outside door. She murmured something too quietly for Exiurim to hear. A few moments later, Blight came out. His hair was ruffled a bit from sleep. He ran his hand through it to straighten it out.

Redstreak continued walking down the hallway. The three trailed slowly after her, still a bit asleep. Exiurim almost tripped on the frame for the door going out. She rebalanced herself, hoping no one had seen it. When she looked up Gray Moon was smiling at her. “I don’t think anyone else saw,” she whispered. Exiurim nodded and the two strolled after the rest of the group.

Redstreak had been leading them through the city for some time. Each place that the group stopped at was just a couple second rest and then it was back to walking. Exiurim was spending the time thinking about what the mission was. Could it be to gather water or food? They had to get those somehow. Possibly to scout for a new residence. The old place is pretty beat up.

Redstreak stopped in front of a small shack. She turned her head side to side, and then walked into the house. Everyone followed very quietly. Exiurim didn’t get why they were doing so, but she copied anyway.

The shack was quiet inside. Furniture was here and there, a chair or a table. The party went into a bedroom. It was small, with a rug and a single bed. As Exiurim peered closer, she saw that there was a man in the bed. She stopped in her tracks. What are they doing? What do they want with him? Exiurim grew more and more nervous every second. What was going on?

A squeaking noise filled the room. Exiurim looked for the source. She turned her head to every corner of the room, and then she stopped at Blight. He was stepping on a lose board. The man must have heard it too because he shot right out of his bed. Redstreak was prepared though. She punched him in the gut. The man lurched and Redstreak striked his neck.

He fell to the floor with a thump. Blight rolled him over so his stomache was showing. Redstreak took a knife that she had in her belt and brought it down into his chest. She dragged the knife around making a long bloody cut.

Exiurim turned away, unable to bear the sight. Why are they doing this? What is this going to accomplish? Images of that night filled her head again. Rain, a knife, screaming, black. She shook her head violently to clear the images.

Exiurim heard someone stepping toward her. “It’s ok.” Exiurim recognized Gray Moon’s voice. “I don’t like to watch either.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello, mptigers, Wolf here for a review.

Alright, so I've read your previous chapter along with this and well, I can't really say I'm engaged really. The very full narration of 'She did this. She did that.' is really choppy and not very interesting to read. Where's the emotions? The feelings? Really pour a part of yourself into your chapters and make the scenes come alive. At the ending action scene it just seemed so dry and void of any emotion. Frankly, I'm not even sure where they are! Most action scenes don't make any sense unless the scene around them is estished, and everything moves so fast. I really doubt a grown man would go down so fast from a punch in the gut. Make these things more realistic.

Another thing, slow down. Everything is happening so fast. She just joins the group and BAM she's in? How does she adjust? What's everything like? What are all the people like? I kind of feel like everyone is a basic carbon copy of each other with tiny differences in appearance and personality, but not so much the latter. Once againf realism comes into play. What makes this girl fit in so suddenly? Draw out everything, because I guarantee this girl will not just waltz right in like she owns the place. Also, how does she get her name? What does it even mean? Details are very important.

It also really surprises me that she got over her parent's death so quickly. She was sad one moment and the next they aren't even on her mind anymore? If she's so busy that she doesn't have time to think about them, then show us that! Don't just skip a week, this is this girls first week! What's the place like? Now I'm just repeating myself, but I'm really trying to drive the point home that everything here is too fast paced.

Still, your topic seems a common one and I'm interested in seeing what you will do with it. Maybe you can develope your characters more because right now I feel like this girl is just some robot sent to watch with the bare minimum feelings and emotions. I suggest you work on that. Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I said what needed to be said. Happy Review Day and Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

Image




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 am
Vervain wrote a review...



Me again, lovely. Let's see what we have here.

First of all, your description in this chapter is more of the same. "This happened. Then that happened. This is what it looks like. This happened now." It's very dry, and I don't find myself interested at all in what's going on. Even at the end of this chapter, I'm not invested at all in the action, even though I feel like I should be wondering why, exactly, this is a mission? Why are they killing a random guy in a shack? (That's a question I'm counting on being answered later in the story.)

I also feel like you're setting up Redstreak and Blight to be the standard Bad People to counteract the Good Person you have made Exiurim (and seem to be making Gray Moon). Exiurim is automatically Good for not wanting to hurt the man, so those two are automatically Bad for doing so; it makes it feel more and more like Exiurim is an author's darling, a favorite, because she tags along on a mission and doesn't have to do anything, and in fact outright disagrees with it, serving little purpose in the story. I would much rather read about Redstreak and Blight than Exiurim and Gray Moon, because so far, they actually do things - also, if it only took two people to take the man out, why would they send four?

Your words are very stilted, and your diction seems to be heavy in broad descriptors, without getting into specifics (happy instead of joyful or blissful, afraid instead of terrified or distraught, etc). You break past tense sometimes, which is a big no when it comes to writing - if your story is written in the past, then you can't have sentences like "Well, not really, but they talk sometimes", because that's present tense. Is the story taking place in the past, or now? You'll have to make up your mind and do some decent proofreading to make sure you catch all of those instances.

Your characterization is as bland as your description, I'm afraid, which means it's about as delicious as a mouth full of sand. So far, Exiurim has no motive to be doing anything, and we have no idea what makes her 'tick' - the same goes for Gray Moon, who seems to exist only to agree with Exiurim and be a standard Good Person. Redstreak at least has some kind of character in that she's harsh and cruel, and Blight is a braggart, which is more than we see out of Exiurim or Gray Moon. Even if they're Bad People, I find myself sympathizing with them, because they're human. All people have flaws, and I'm not seeing any in Exiurim or Gray Moon, just standard quietness and Goodness, and Goodness gets boring.

You also have a number of grammar and spelling mistakes, and I suggest proofreading twice, and perhaps asking a friend to proofread, before you post to make sure you get most of them. No one's perfect - plenty of people have grammar and spelling mistakes in your works - but once it gets to a degree where it takes a reader out of the story, then it's distracting. Almost a third of your sentences are fragments, meaning they don't have a subject and a verb, they just have the object. Or they start with a conjunction, like this one. Used sparingly, fragments are very helpful tools of description, but every few sentences, they lose their impact and just look lazy.

That being said, this chapter moves extremely quickly, too, and I almost missed the "it's a week later" cue in the fifth paragraph. That was very confusing, and it took about five reads to get it right, as well as the description of Abyss and then the door opening again to Redstreak after we completely forgot about Abyss because of the long, dry paragraph between them. I would definitely recommend that you try and spice up your diction, as well as adding more in-depth description to slow down the action, because otherwise, readers will lose interest and close your story.





"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green