The Book Man, Chapter 80 (Revised)

by BluesClues

80 THE THIRD COMPANION

“Oh, my,” Christian squeaked. The other hellhounds had been large for dogs, level with his shoulders, still terrifying, but this beast towered over him. He hadn’t seen a hellhound so big since the one he’d seen in the maze on the night after the attack. The one he’d thrown a chunk of stone at before escaping with Rath.

This was the same hellhound. Ignoring as best he could his own fear and the whispered warnings of his companions, he took a step forward and said in a trembling voice, “I’m sorry I threw that rock at you.”

The growling did not stop, but the gargantuan dog made no move to attack. Encouraged, Christian went on. “I didn’t mean anything by it, but you did give me a dreadful fright.”

“What are you doing?” Tirion hissed behind him.

“Didn’t you see the guard dog wagging its tail at Finn and Rowan?” Christian whispered back. “I think they like being talked to.”

“So your plan is to talk it to death?” the elf asked heatedly, but Morrow put a hand on his shoulder and murmured, “Let him try. Our weapons are useless. All I’ve got left is a knife, and that not even iron.”

“His knife might do something,” Tirion muttered, but he turned away at another touch from the Rover.

The hellhound’s growling had grown louder as they spoke. Christian took another step toward it with his legs shaking so badly he thought they might give out at any moment.

“You see,” he squeaked, “you see, there was so much destruction, and everything was so quiet—well, you startled me.”

The hellhound stopped growling, though it cocked its head at him warily as if expecting some sort of trick. If Christian had had some trick he probably would have felt better about all of this. Instead he simply planned to talk until the hellhound—what, let them pass?—or grew bored with him and ate them anyway.

“But now,” he said. “Well—now I see there was nothing to be afraid of. You’re not so frightening after all.” (Utter lies.) “Just a big, cuddly dog, really.”

Wait, what if that was an insult? Maybe the hellhounds strove to frighten people. Maybe calling them cuddly was like calling a Narnian mouse cute.

The beast began to wag its tail with a whap-whap-whap, looking so pathetic Christian felt a rush of real sympathy for it.

“You must be joking,” Tirion said.

Christian ignored him. Encouraged by the hopeful lift of the hellhound’s ears, he took another step forward. His legs did not shake as badly as before.

“Just a big, cuddly dog,” he repeated. “That’s all you are, aren’t you? Not vicious at all. I’ll bet you’re just upset because everyone tries to kill you.”

(That certainly was a good reason to be upset.)

The hellhound whimpered, whined, and then, to his amazement, flopped over onto its side with its paws waving absurdly in the air.

“I must be dreaming,” Morrow said.

“What does it want?” Tirion asked.

“Why, a belly-rub, of course,” Christian said. Feeling both relieved and extremely silly, he pocketed the iron knife, neared the big dog, and scratched its massive belly, saying over and over again, “Who’s a good boy? That’s right, you are!”

“This is ridiculous,” said Tirion. “First a spider, now a hellhound. Are we to find that none of Goblin’s allies are evil creatures after all?”

Morrow shrugged. “That would make our job a lot easier. Be nice to have a hellhound on our side for once.”

“What I don’t understand,” the elf said, “is why they side with Goblin in the first place if they’re really so friendly.”

“Well,” said Christian, now fondling the hellhound’s floppy ears; they were surprisingly soft. “Maybe they’re a bit like Frankenstein’s monster.”

His companions looked at him blankly. He realized neither of them would know who Frankenstein was because Frankenstein did not exist in the Otherworld.

“It’s a book,” he said. “Frankenstein was a doctor who created a creature out of dead body parts and brought it to life. But he abandoned the creature when he succeeded because it was so hideous, and then of course everyone else who saw it was horrified and threw rocks at it or chased it with torches. I mean, if its own creator didn’t love it, who else would? So eventually it turned bad because everyone hated it.”

Tirion looked at him like he had lost his mind, but Morrow nodded thoughtfully and said, “So you think perhaps Goblin has been more—understanding of these creatures, and that’s why they fight for him.”

“Yes,” said Christian. “They say he’s quite ugly himself.” The hellhound rolled over and put its head close to his face.

“Look out,” Tirion said sharply, drawing his bow, but a moment later he lowered it again as Christian laughed: the hellhound was giving him giant, slobbery dog kisses. In moments he was drenched in saliva, which was unpleasant but preferable to getting eaten.

Morrow approached and let the hellhound sniff his hand before touching it. The elf, too, neared the giant dog, frowning and with his bow still in hand. The hellhound growled softly at his approach, but Christian said, “He’s alright. He’s just—more skeptical.”

“I hate to break up the fun,” Tirion said, “but there’s still a battle going on aboveground and we’ve got a mission to complete.”

“Will you come with us?” Christian asked the hellhound.

“Oh for the love of—”

Morrow touched the elf’s back with a faint smile and said, “Always the pessimist. Let the beast come with us, Tirion. It may be to our advantage.”

“Or it may be the death of us,” Tirion muttered, but he made no further objection as the hellhound rose to its feet with its tail wagging.

The Rover pulled his father’s battered map from his coat and consulted it.

“Three doors. Those must be the archways. The other two dead-end after not too long—this one looks like it goes on a ways, and then there should be a chamber—”

“Then let’s go,” Tirion said.

Morrow rolled the map up and put it back in his pocket. Christian put a hand on the hellhound’s side and followed the Rover king down the tunnel with the elf muttering darkly behind him.

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

So, yeah. I don't know what to say about this chapter. Read it: check. Love it: check. What else is there? I don't think there is much I can say on this chapter save for that everything as just amazing, and this chapter told the personality of the characters unlike any other.

So I will just try to ramble on for a moment, if I can.

So I think this chapter explains the personality of the characters more than any other does, especially when it comes to what they want to do with the creature - the hellhound. Tirion is his normal self in this one, I think. He just wants to go and kill it - problem solved. Morrow is like Iggy said, although I will spare you the caps. He doesn't really seem to mind which way the wind blows - as long as it blows in a favorable direction. And then there is Christian... who seems to try everything before he uses force. I think that is a really important part of his personality? And a really important part of the book? Him being the way he is, shy and protective and hesitant to kill just makes the book so much stronger, and gives him so much more depth. It's strange how he can make friends with all these creatures - at first. Once we get into it, I noticed that no one else makes friend with the scary animals except Christian, but he is the only one who even bothered to try and say hello to them without sticking a sword in their gut at the same time. So I think that is one thing which separates him from any other character, even Minerva. Because even if he had to kill one of these creatures, he would still hesitate. I don't think Minerva would. So, yeah. Just a bit of random comments for you to chew on there.

So I don't see anything else I can comment or nitpick or talk about for endless times. Just know that I loved this chapter and thought that the entire scheme of it was priceless, and while they didn't seem to go anywhere in the story - but remained in the same room throughout the chapter - this part brought the personalities and character of Morrow and Tirion to light in a way we hadn't seen before, and just re-played what we already knew about Christian.

Loving it. Sorry for short review. Too good for words.
~Darth Timmyjake

BluesClues says...

Not a problem. And without giving you any spoilers, you have hit upon quite a good point about Christian, buddy.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 am
Messenger wrote a review...

heeey I am here as a Knight of the Afterwatch. It's nice to be able to jump into the story and actually know what's going on lol. Sooo . . .

“Let him try. Our weapons are useless. All I’ve got left is a knife, and that not even iron.”

oooooooh mummy that is clunky. As in Cluuuunkeeey. It's like a telly sentence *gag*, only in dialogue. *double gag* Fix it up chop-chop, ja? ^_^

His legs did not shake as badly as before.

I feel that didn't would work better in this sentence.

And so concludes my enormous list of dastardly errors that riddled this chapter that was rather easy Mummy. One thing I don't feel fits is all the parentheses. I don't think I said much about it the first time, but I really think it would be better to put them as Christian's thoughts, since it seems that they basically are just that.

That's all I have. No suspense like last time, but a good feeling about what happens in the end. Later Mummy!

~Your Beloved Son, Messeny, or MD.

Iggy wrote a review...

Hello, my darling <3

It truly has been a while, it seems. I nearly forgot who Rath was! But I remembered :D Rath is Morrow the Elder's trusty steed, right? I think? >_>

Anyways, I didn't see much different with this chapter, so I don't have much to comment about that! I still adore the friendship Christian forms with both the spider and the hellhound <3 the Frankenstein part was good to use, mostly for the reader's understanding instead of Morrow's and Tirion's. WE understand who/what Frankenstein is but they don't, so it was good that you emphasized how confused they looked.

Tirion seems, to me, the most cautious out of the entire group. Christian is quick to think the best of people, Morrow is quick to go along with it (he was all about YOLO before YOLO became famous) and Tirion is just like, "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THINGS THROUGH AROUND HERE?!" xD

This is still good <3 I loved reading it and I realize now that they're about to walk into the night-mares, aren't they? YOU'RE EVIL FOR DOING THAT TO THEM.

*searches the Green Room for more unreviewed TBM chapters*

~Iggy

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.

BluesClues says...

Hooray!!! *off to read more reviews because happy happy happy*

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.