18+ Language Violence Mature Content

REDACTED

by deleted28, Payne

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

REDACTED

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 pm
ScarletDreams14 wrote a review...

Hey there! Scarlet here to review.

So just sit tight, relax and enjoy the show!

Nitpicks first...

She huffed in irritation and typed a reply to Janie's third text in a row. Yes, I will meet u on Main Street, chill!

- Okay so, I think whenever she's texting her friend or whatever the text itself needs to be either in italics or bold so it's easier to read and I know what's the text and which is the main character talking.

"Come on. What've you got first? Maths?"

- Okay, now I don't know if you saw this mistake or not but it says maths, with an s on the end. This doesn't sound right, you mean math.

"Oh...” Sarah got up and sat next to him. "They just call you a freak and some even think you're retarded, stuff like that..."

He got up and pushed past her, walking out of the cafe.

- Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold your horses there. Jesus Christ Tig, a little blunt don't you think? Most people wouldn't been hesitant or less harsh. Good golly, it sounds like she was purposely trying to hurt him and I doubt that was her goal since she tries to make him stay afterword. She sounds very laid back while saying this and that doesn't help. You should make her sound hesitant and a little less blunt.

Luke just stared at her for a bit."Umm..."

- There needs to be a space after that period after bit and before Umm.

That's all the nitpicks I have.

Holy crud, everything just sped by so fast, my eyes we're practically popping out of the sockets when they we're getting shot at and then when his mom... I was like ' What did I miss?! What's going on?!'

It was a little confusing but I'm guessing all will be reveled in the next chapter.

It went really fast and I was wandering what was happening half the time but that got my attention, and so many questions popped up I want those questions to be answered so I'll join you in the next chapter.

You did a spot on job with this despite the few mistakes.

Great job and keep writing!

In, 5...4...3...2...1

( Thanks to @TiggaBiscuit for the image )

Sincerely, Scarlet; Reader, Writer, and Reviewer

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:11 pm
MooCowPoop wrote a review...

Okay, so there is a lot that needs to be tweaked in this. Most of the other reviewers have stated the tweaks, though, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

remember your first line of every story has to be the most engaging, attention grabbing, thrilleriffic, and maybe even most important line of the story. Why? Because it's second after the title to having your audience even care about the story. With that said, one should never be in a rush to write without having an interesting opener.

Secondly, character devrlopment is crucial to having a good story--even more than the plot. Without interesting characters, the story is not interesting. Think that if Suzanne Collins never gave us Katniss's background of her father who died in a mining accident and the place she lived as a result of corruption, then no one would really care about District 12 and all the Prims, and Peetas, and Rues. So give us more detail about your characters-- don't cheat us out of a good story because you want to grt to the plot. Why should we care about Luke and Sarah's relationship other than the fact that Luke "saves" Sarah's life?

Third: specificity and believability. Why the hell was a speeding truck on a sidewalk at seven in the morning? And how come it's never talked about in that first part? Did it just disappear suddenly? And why was Sarah writing a paper for her so-called "friend" Janie? And how come Janie leaves Sarah with Luke after he tackles her to the ground? And since when were Janie's friends walking on the same path? Did they not see Sarah almost get hit? And why is Janie leaving; is she in that of a hurry to get to school? How many kids use this "windy road" to school? How old are they? Where are they? How come Luke knows so much about Sarah? I'll stop there, but if you want your story to be believable, then you're going to want to slow down, add more details, and answer these kinds of questions.

I'll end the review here. Please know that in your story, I was not trying to fish for mistakes and I am not trying to.be a buttface. I genuinely believe that it has potential, but.only needs some fine-tuning to be the best that it can.possibly be. All us writers are punching bags, and no doubt does the punching hurt, but it is all for a good cause. Continue writing(and editing) so that you can grow. Adieu!

deleted28 says...

Why the hell was a speeding truck on a sidewalk at seven in the morning?
Well i'm no genius but it was on the road. And lots of trucks are about that early.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:51 am
queerelves wrote a review...

Hello ^-^ I'll be trying out a new "reviewing style" here. I'll list the strengths and weaknesses of the piece, and then give my personal opinion on it. So, here we go~

As usual, I'll start off with the nitpicks.

Weaknesses

Show, don't tell- A lot of this piece was stating facts instead of describing what was going on. This applies especially to facts about characters and their personality, appearance, situation, etc. Reveal those things through description, dialogue, and actions instead of just telling us.

I'll use your first paragraph as an example. You told us that it was a hot spring day at 7:30 AM. Instead of blatantly telling us those things, you could describe the setting so we could infer those things. It would make your reader more connected to the story, and it would also lengthen up your paragraphs. Here's one way that you could improve the first paragraph.

Luke's walk to school was more exhausting than usual. The sun was still low in the sky, but it beat heavily on him; he had already started to sweat through his hoodie. The only thing that saved him was a breeze that chilled the air enough that he could bear to put his hood up.

I don't know if there was a breeze, or if Luke would want to put his hood up, but that's just an example.

On a similar note, refrain from just flat out saying "there was a person named [name]." It makes it sound like you're talking to the reader instead of telling a story. That can be alright in certain circumstances, but I don't think that's what you were going for.

Things happen too quickly- This applies to a few different things in your writing. The events in the piece pass by too quickly. You don't have a lot of description--it's mostly dialogue--so events seem like they're happening in fast-forward.

Next, your characters develop a relationship very quickly. From what I understood, they were only acquaintances prior to the beginning? They went from being acquaintances to holding hands in lightening speed, which doesn't usually happen with teenagers. Since it's so unusual, I would recommend making note of it and the fact that it wasn't what normally happens with teenagers.

I was really confused about the passing of time in this piece. It seems to jump around a lot. I followed it until after the cafe. All of a sudden, Sarah is asking Luke if he likes her. When is this happening? I have no clue whether it's the same day or five years later.

Too much in one chapter- You had way too much happening in one chapter. It would be alright if it was a short story, but it's far too much for the first chapter of a novel. You completely rushed the exposition. You should spent at least one chapter focusing on giving your reader an idea of who your characters are, how they relate to each other, etc. Not all stories and novels have to follow the same format, but I think it would be a good idea for you to have your first chapter be simple and mundane. Introduce us to the characters and let us get to know them before getting into anything really interesting.

If I were you, I would make the cafe scene and everything leading up to it your first chapter. Lengthen it up by adding description and foreshadowing. Have Luke think about or mention his parents, have Sarah question it, something like that.

Unrealistic action and interaction- This may be a bit harsh, but your characters didn't really act like real people would. A lot of the interaction between Luke and Sarah seemed like your forced it. The dialogue between them didn't sound like a conversation that you would actually hear. They react way too calmly to Sarah almost being run over; if I were in her place, I would probably be shaking but probably still denying that anything was wrong.

Luke's reaction to what the kids said about him seems really strange. Was it meant to be that way? It was super abrupt. It didn't seem like the way that a real person would react. It's understandable that he's so angry and upset, but the average teenager/person would probably react to that kind of emotion by getting really internally upset, and maybe by acting passive aggressive and frustrated. It's okay if he wouldn't have a normal reaction, but you need an explanation for that.

Alright, done with the nitpicks! Sorry if there were a lot xP

Strengths

Easy to understand- This may seem silly to actually compliment you on since it's so simple, but it was easy to understand what was actually happening in your piece. I've read a lot of works on here where I sat there trying to figure out what on earth was happening, but this wasn't the case with yours. You were clear on everything besides the passing of time.

You didn't use too many adjectives- You didn't use too many adverbs or adjectives. Adverbs can be good, but they're usually weak so it's best to avoid them. A lot of the time, I see works where people use 3+ adjective to describe one thing, or their piece seems like they used a thesaurus to find every word. Something like, "She loudly, happily guffawed, contrary to her bitterly melancholy friend," has way to many adjectives and adverbs and uses too many uncommon words. You didn't have any sentences like that, so good job there.

Grammar- I didn't see any major grammar mistakes in your piece. Maybe a typo somewhere? Other than that, your grammar was good. You punctuated dialogue correctly, your sentence structure was good... I don't think there was much you did wrong on the grammar front.

You have a lot of potential with this piece. I don't know what the plot is yet, but what you have is interesting. The problem lies within the telling of the story. You definitely lacked in description, and you just stating facts about what was going on got old really quickly. I liked the characters, and I think you could do a lot with them if you tweaked the dialogue and worked on realism.

Lucia wrote a review...

Wow.... that was.. fast. I liked it, the story was interesting, and the way Luke can sense certain things happening is pretty cool, although I wonder why he can.

To be honest though, this seemed like a rough draft to me. Which is unfortunate; this story has a lot of potential going for it. Mostly, you just need to polish off some of the spelling and punctuation. Just go through the whole thing and see what you find.
In the beginning, when they are walking to school, it seems as if they don't know each other at all. Later though, you mention that they do. Maybe you could look into fixing that?
This whole chapter seems a little fast paced and short to me. When you think about it, they go to a lot of different places, but you don't spend much time writing about the commute, or describing their surroundings. I think you should spend some time on what the both of them thinking at the time.
The random paragraph in the beginning... does that really need to be there? Maybe you could find a way to explain all of that using the characters trains of thought.
Sarah doesn't seem to be very shocked about all of this. (I get the feeling that Luke isn't supposed to be) But if any of this happened to me, I would probably be hyperventilating in a corner somewhere.

Overall, you had a great idea for this story, and you may have been in a hurry writing it down. You just need to polish it up a bit, maybe carve out some thought patterns, and maybe make it just a bit more realistic where expressing emotions is concerned.
But you did a okay job on it, and I will definitely keep reading on.
Keep writing!!!

ExOmelas wrote a review...

'Jeez you're dumb sometimes' - there should be a comma between 'Jeez' and 'you're'.

I'm not sure about the big giant paragraph of background. If you're determined to have it, maybe put it at the start and in italics.

'"What do they call me?" He asked quietly.' - 'He' should not have a capital 'H'.

'and to Sarah he looked just like a meerkat that just came out of its den from the ground' - take out one of the 'just's.

'"You’re lucky I didn't call that cops on you two."' - 'that' should be 'the'.

'"We've practically lived together for like three years now. We go to the same school and stuff. Have you ever, like had feelings for me?"' - I think this is a bit too sudden.

'They both froze in their spots when they both saw the cop that came into view right in front of them.' - take out one of the 'both's.

'"You didn't hear anything because you couldn't hear the shots, the gun they were using must have had a silencer on it." Sarah said as she got back up onto her feet.' - I think Sarah would be in too much shock. I think this line would work really well if it was Luke who said it.

'It didn't take her long to become aware at what was going on' - 'at' should be 'of'.

Okay, this was very exciting, incredibly exciting. Your pace is awesome and fast and exhilarating. I think some of the lines were a little forced but your characterisation was overall good. I'm very interested in your plot and I can picture it well.

Some things happened a little suddenly and the flow went a bit jumpy at times. Also, I'm not sure I like Luke as much as I'm meant to. If Sarah didn't want to skip school, he shouldn't have made her.

Well done! :)

Unique wrote a review...

Uni here for a review!

This looks great so far Tigga! I would jsut mention one thing. There is a lot of diaglogue and not a lot of description. Try to put at least two paragraphs of description of anything in between dialogue.

Otherwise, I am completely captured by the plot! I want to know what happens! Please write more!

Keep up the amazing writing Tigga!

~Uni

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year