z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dreams

by Stripeslife


I’ve told myself,

oh so many times,

that today

will be the last time.


My regrets

are far from clean.

But every nightmare

started as a dream.


A dream for good,

that’s what I’m told.

But secrets from me,

even my mind holds.


Even though my thoughts are pure,

my intentions far from disaster,

my own mind,

hard even for me to master.


So now my dreams,

over nightmares never won.

But could it be not too late?

Could they somehow be undone?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 293
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:04 am
FearlessLove4 wrote a review...



This is wonderful.

The structure of this poem is great, and it flows so nicely. You definitely had my attention throughout the entire piece. The rhyming was great as well, it didn't feel forced. I love the verse, "My regrets are far from clean. But every nightmare started as a dream." I see this piece as a sort of confession, and I really enjoy it. And I like how you ended with a question, I think it worked very well.

~FearlessLove4




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:28 pm
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, Stripeslife! Strangelove here on this PokeReview Day and I have a quick review for you!
This was a good poem. The stanzas were nice and even, it was fluent, and a few times did you have trouble with length. What stood out the most is the subject, which is a very common one. I do see a lot of poems about nightmares, but you take somewhat of a different approach. First off, the good stuff.
The subject was enjoyable. You add more than one would get on an average "dream/nightmare" poem. You debacle over the two, and how you prefer the dreams more. For some reason, I never really see that often. It's usually just the narrating complaining. You want more, and I respected that quality.
I did encounter a few faults throughout the poem. There are sometimes, while reading the poem, I would read it out loud and it wouldn't sound right. It makes my tongue fumble and I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not. It was solid, but some of those just kill me. Also, the third or fourth stanza has long lines that interrupt the whole pace of this. You want to keep it flowing like a river, have it never stop. Encounter a few rocks, but go straight over that.
Overall, good job.
Strangelove gives you...
8.1/10
Good job,
Keep writing,
Stay groovy, my friend.




User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 pm
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Stripes~
I'm really impressed with some of your lines. I think they're very nice.

However, you've really got to work on your rhyme scheme. Trying to rhyme times and time together is a no go. They don't rhyme, for one, and for two, it's the same word. Clean and dream also don't rhyme. Holds and told is close, but it really doesn't rhyme. I would suggest dropping the rhyme all together. Free verse can be very liberating. If you're going to rhyme, it should mean something. If you're rhyming just to rhyme, you should probably rethink your writing strategy.

I'd also like to know what you think
"My regrets are far from clean" means because as a reader I don't know. No regrets are clean. We only regret the dirty things we've done.

That beings said, I really appreciate the slight echo of "My regrets are far from clean" in the line "though my thoughts are pure"

I feel like this poem has a lot of filler in it. You start sentences with words that can be cut out like so, even, oh, but. With poetry, every word should count. Poets don't have the word count to waste on filler.

Lastly,

But could it be not too late?

This sounds really archaic when compared to the rest of the poem. I would suggest "Does it have to be too late?

Alright. I like your topic, and I think this is a good springboard for a future draft. I wish you luck. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, lemme know.

Keep writing,
Megs~




Random avatar

Points: 728
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:27 am
biju says...



The poem is good and emotions can be felt. However the whole thing could have been better if u chose to rhyme alternately especially when it is a lyrical poem. But again it was a good approach. Write more lyrical poems, looking forward to them.




Stripeslife says...


Thanks for the advice! This is one of my first lyrical poems so I haven't had much practice with this particular type of poetry. Thanks again! :)



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 2388
Reviews: 73

Donate
Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:39 pm
Markontheworld wrote a review...



Yeah addictions can be hard to beat, but never give up! Overall I really liked this poem, but I'm kinda confused did you mean to have it as all one stanza? I also noticed you started a few sentences with "but" I might be wrong, however I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

Another thing I noticed is I feel like it's missing something. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it's there. Still really good poem! Can't wait to read more of your stuff! =^_^=






Starting sentences with conjunctions is perfectly fine, despite common misconception.





Ohhhhh I see! Thanks! =^_^=



Stripeslife says...


I didn't mean for it to be all one stanza, but to split it into 4 line stanzas. The thing is I'm still new here and when I posted it, I don't know. It's done that with all the poems I've put up and I don't know how to change it. If you know, I would love someone to tell me so I can fix the stanza thing. Thanks! :)





Try putting <br> evenly in between your spaces when you space a stanza. Someone gave me that tip, it works



Stripeslife says...


Thanks so much! That really helped! I never would have figured that out. :)



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 359
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm
TonelessBard wrote a review...



Hello there! First of all, I have to say that you've got talent, that's pretty obvious. I love the concept of your poem but there are few things that bother me while I was reading it.

"I’ve told myself,

oh so many times,..."

It would be better without that comma after "myself" or if you put comma after "Oh" it would sound more dramatic (it's just a suggestion).

"Even though my thoughts are pure,

my intentions far from disaster,

my own mind,

hard even for me to master"

Was this supposed to be intentional rhyme or accidental? It confused me and I started searching for other rhymes but I couldn't find them. I don't really like when that happens because it ruins the whole concept showing that you are talented enough to make a rhyme but you keep writing "free lines". Anyway, I hope I didn't sound sharp. This one was okay and I hope I'll read more from you, keep writing!

~Bard




Stripeslife says...


Thanks for the review. In this poem, I tried to keep the rhyming to the softer and less obvious level, rather than the harder rhyming of "disaster" and "master". I also didn't put a comma after "oh" because even though it may cause a grammar error, I never intended for their to be a pause after "oh". Thanks for the review!! :)




As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality