12+

The Wayfaring-Chapter 3: Hailton (Revised)

by Sillia

Chapter 3: Hailton

The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares.Henri Nouwen

Nathan rode Dusk forward in a light canter, coming to a stop at the edge of the tree line, looking over his shoulder at Anica.

“We’re here.” His voice shook slightly.

Anica rode forward silently, the sunlight dappling her hair and turning it into liquid gold. “We made it.” She said softly.

“To the edge of the forest.” Nathan pointed out optimistically.

“Where do we go?” Anica asked a slight hint of fear in her voice.

“Forward.” Nathan said, urging Dusk out of the trees and into the open meadow beyond.

The white stallion tossed his head, welcoming the sunlight that warmed his body. Nathan gasped, looking out over the open plain. Buildings rose just ahead of them, standing tall against the light blue sky. Anica eyed it all with amazement. So much open sky! They had never seen so much their whole life, let alone in one spot. A chilly breeze swept up from behind them, causing them both to shiver slightly.

Nathan coughed, shaking his head slightly, “Let’s look at Hailey’s gift shall we?”

Anica’s eyes darkened slightly but all the same she pulled out the bundle that Hailey had presented them with. Nathan pulled his from his saddle bag, fingering the velvety soft fabric in amazement. He untied the thin rope string that held it together and unfurled a long clock. It was black on the outside, green on the inside. There was a fastener much like the one that had been on Jackson’s clock. The silver shone in the light, the engraved eagle outlined in copper. He looked over at Anica, seeing her looking down in shock at her own new cloak. It was a pure, shimmering white on the inside, and black on the outside. It was fastened together with a silver broach, though this one displayed the Carmez house crest; a dragon. The dragon was rimmed with a thin line of gold.

“I was never nice to her…why’d she give me this?” Anica muttered to herself.

“She always wanted to be your friend. She admired you the way you admire Alexandra.” Nathan explained. Anica said nothing, fastening clock around her neck. Nathan fastened his to him, riding forward.

“Nathan? Where are you going?” Anica asked, looking up. “I thought we were going to follow Four Points River to Stone Ridge, then cross the bride at Silver’s Stream to get to Wolfs Ridge.”

“To Hailton. It won’t take long to get to High Peaks, and we have a while yet. Remember when George went out on his Wayfaring?” Anica nodded and he went on, “He told me he spent a few weeks just roaming around.”

“So you want to go to Hailton.” Anica’s voice held disbelief.

“Hailton Square.” Nathan amended. “Where he got the honey bread. Sir Jackson really liked it.”

“You know people there don’t…well…don’t like people like us.” Anica said warily.

“Let them sneer.” His voice held exasperation as he turned to her. "Anica people don't like us because we're sheltered from the rest of the world. We chose to go into the safety of the forest while they stayed out in the open. They make up their stories and rumors about us to appease their fear of not knowing. Are you really going to let them get to you? If you are you may as well turn around right now." 

“I don’t know Nathan…” she said, looking up into the cloudless blue sky and fingering Dawn’s reins.

Come on Anica! You could get a new sword polish set!”

“The one George bought me did work really well…” she said wistfully.

“Exactly.” Nathan replied, sitting back in his saddle.

Anica rolled her eyes. “Let’s go.”

Jason rode into the Square, panting and gasping for air. He leapt off of River and ran back to Spirit, checking his companion’s pulse. He’d thrown the boy over the back of the horse after he’d fought off the archer, bringing them both out of harm’s way. Jason was unsure of how to pull the arrow out, and Mystic growled every time he made to try. He had been in and out of consciousness, though he had told his dog several times not to maul Jason. He led River and Spirit to a nearby stable house, looking up at the stable master as he eyed him with wide eyes. He was a heavy set man, though it was more muscle than anything.

“Sir, please, can you help us?”

The stable master leapt forward and grabbed Spirit, pulling him into the stables. “Alice! Come down here now!” he yelled into the building.

A young girl ran forward, her long brown hair fanning out behind her. “Father? What is it?”

“A boy’s been shot. Go get some bandages. Hurry!” he snapped quickly.

He watched as Alice ran up a set of stairs, and then made to lift the boy from the saddle but Mystic leapt forward, her teeth closing inches from the man’s wrist as he jerked away. “Oi! Get that dog under control!”

“Easy Mystic.” Jason stroked Mystic’s nose and the black dog growled, but did not snap again.

The man lifted him from the horse and laid him on the ground gently. “Stable your horses’ boy. Then come back here. Put that dog in with them. I don’t want to risk a bite.”

Jason nodded, and dug into his companion’s bag, pulling out a coil of rope just as Alice came back down. He tied it around Mystic’s leather collar, dragging the black dog into one of the stalls. He shut the door on the howling dog, looking over the edge at her. “I’m sorry girl.” He said softly.

He then lead River and Spirit into an adjoining stable, lifting the saddle off Spirit’s back and placing it on a stool in the back of the stable. He searched the bags and found apples and carrots, taking out two apples and feeding one to Spirit and one to River. He freed the horses of their bridles and pulled a piece of dried meet from a pouch at his hip, throwing it into Mystic’s pen. Then he rushed back to where the strange boy lay, kneeling beside him.

“What’s your name boy?” the burly man asked as he began to pull the arrow free from him.

“Jason. Jason Petersen.” He panted.

“And his?” he motioned to the boy.

“I- I don’t know.” He stammered. “He saved me from my brother and my old mentor when they tried to kill me. We were escaping when he got shot.”

“And you risked your own life for someone you’ve never met?” Alice’s admired, her deep brown eyes sparkling slightly.

Jason flushed slightly and looked down. “I’m Will.” The man said gruffly, finally yanking the arrow free.

The boy suddenly came awake, screaming with pain. Mystic howled with fury, thrusting herself against the door.

“Alice! The bandages!” Will said, “Jason I need you to hold him down. He can’t turn over otherwise he’ll get grit into that cut. We need to bandage him now.”

Jason held the boy’s arm down as a new voice interrupted them. “No. You have to clean it out. If you don’t that wound will get infected.”

Jason, Will and Alice looked up to see a young man swinging himself down from a white horse, diving into his saddle bags. He had shaggy brown hair and bright hazel eyes. Beside him was a tall girl with long blond hair, dressed in black and her hand on a throwing knife at her hip. The boy pulled out a package and began to run forward but the girl grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

“Nathan stop. We don’t know these people, or the trouble they’re in. What if we bring that down on us?”

The boy, Nathan, ripped his arm free. “Anica knock it off. I can’t just sit here and let him die. Gale would expect more of me. And these,” he shook the package in her face, “Can save him. If I don’t do anything that wound will get infected and he’ll die in a week. You can go if you want but I’m staying.” His voice was tinged with fury.

He ran forward and opened the package, pulling out a bundle of herbs. He looked up at Alice.

“Can you get some water please?”

She nodded and raced away. Alice came back moments later, a small oak bowl clutched in here hands. She had filled it to the brim with water, and she handed it to Nathan slowly with trembling hands. Nathan took the bowl from her, setting it gently on the cold earth. Anica hovered by the door, eyeing them with evident mistrust. Jason watched the newcomers with narrowed eyes, feeling an expecting surge of protectiveness towards the strange boy. Nathan ripped a piece of cloth from his shirt and dipped it into the water.

“Take that tunic off; and his shirt too.” He instructed swiftly, taking some herbs from his package and crushing it into the cloth.

Alice knelt down beside them, unlacing the boy’s tunic while Will and Jason help him upright. She slipped the tunic and shirt from his body, placing his shirt beneath him. Nathan gently washed away the blood, ignoring the boy’s stifled cries of pain and Mystic’s whimpers. Anica winced slightly, walking over to them and kneeling beside Alice, stroking his bright red hair gently. Nathan crushed some more herbs between his fingers, applying it gently to the wound.

“Bandage please?” he held out his hand for the white cloth strips that Alice clutched to her chest.

Will took them from his daughter and handed them to Nathan without question. Nathan wrapped the bandages around the boy’s stomach and back. He tied the bandage off and sat back, looking up at them.

“How did this happen, if I may ask?” he looked to Will for an explanation.

The stable master threw up his hands, picking the boy up gently in his arms. “Don’t ask me. I have no clue. Jason, I’m going to bring this young man here up to my place upstairs. Come up when everything is situated.” He nodded to Nathan and Anica. “Feel free to join us as well.”

Alice stood, scooping up the abandoned shirt, watching her father walk up the wide oak stairs. She turned to face them, curiosity gleaming deep in her eyes. She wore a pale green dress that was belted at the waist, worn leather boots adorning her feet. Nathan stood, helping Anica and Jason to their feet. Jason extended a sun-tanned hand to Nathan, flicking back a strand of his long black hair and looking Nathan in the eye.

“My name is Jason Petersen.”

Nathan took his hand and shook it firmly. “I’m Nathan Carmez and this is Anica Nї.” Anica nodded stiffly as her name was mentioned.

Alice dipped her knees in a light curtsy. “I’m Alice Phillips. My father is William Phillips.” She turned to Anica and Nathan. “You may board your steeds in the stalls over there.” She pointed to the stalls in the back.

Jason sighed heavily. “Watch out for the dog. I’ll head up with Alice but wait until you two come up. I guess I owe everyone an explanation.”

Nathan nodded and grabbed Dusk’s bridle, leading the stallion to an open stable, Anica and Dawn following close behind.

“We should just leave Nathan.” Anica said softly. “Tell Jason and Alice how to take care of that boy and we can get out of here. You’ve done all that you can.”

Nathan shook his head. “We should rest. It’s been a long day. The horses are exhausted, and I don't know about you, but I'm ready for a good-nights rest. Its better this way Anica. Its our first night out. Staying in a secure location will let us rest easier than if we were out in the open. We’ll pay Stable Master Will for lodging for one night only then head out in the morning. I promise.”

Anica sighed heavily. “I see you’ve made up your mind.”

Nathan frowned slightly as he freed Dusk from his burden, placing the saddle and blanket at the back of the stall. He stroked his steed’s muzzle before exiting the stall locking the door shut behind him. He and Anica made their way back down the aisle, stopping to peer inside a pen where a black dog lay. Anica sighed sympathetically, but followed Nathan up the stairs. The steps creaked underfoot and they emerged seconds later on a small landing. They walked down a short hallway, coming out into a cozy living room. A fire burned softly at one end, a blanket stretched in front of it. The red-haired boy lay on the blanket, his pale face flickering in the firelight. Jason knelt beside him, his hand on the boy’s shoulder. Alice could be seen in the next room, moving around busily. Will sat in a chair near the fire, his chin in his hands, and his brown eyes fixed on Jason and the boy. He looked up as Nathan and Anica entered, his mouth turning up in a half-forced smile.

“Nathan right?” Will stood and walked over, shaking Nathan’s hand.

“Yes sir.”

“And Anica?” Will turned to her, nodding his head slightly.

“That would be me.” She gave a polite bow.

Will ran his hand through his short brown hair, looking them both over. “I’m going to have to ask that you leave your weapons by the door. No offense to either, but I just do not know you too enough trust you with weapons in my house.”

Nathan nodded, “Of corse.”

He and Anica untied their weapons belt and placed them on a peg beside the door. They walked towards Jason and Will as Alice came out, trays of food in her hands. Alice jumped forward to help her, smiling gently at the girl. They ate a meal of fresh bread, ham and cheese, sitting silently around the fire. Nathan took the silence as a time to examine their surroundings. The ceiling was low, made from a light birch wood. The walls were made from the same birch, though the floor was made from oak. A small dining room table stood at the far end of the room, three chairs stood around the edges, Alice sitting in one, Will in another and Anica in the last. A wooden bench stood a few feet away from the fire, a soft blue and red woven wool blanket stretched out across it.

Will broke the increasing tension. “Jason,” he said as the boy looked up. “I think it’s high time that you explain what you’ve gone and mixed us all up in.”

Jason had hardly eaten anything and now stared into the fire, his shaggy black hair falling into his eyes. He sighed now and nodded, taking a deep breath and folding his hands in his lap, crossing his legs as he sat back. “My old mentor, a man by the name of Gillion, is employed by one who calls himself Lord Drake. Drake believes in an old prophecy that was foretold by the Soothsayer known as Trillriana.” He looked down at the red-haired boy as he said this. “’A dark knight arisen will shine in the sun’s golden light. His blood the traitor, his ally the savior.

The star-dancers and the weapon-makers, unlikely allies to the unknown. The black court’s prisoner will escape again, and restore beauty to all the land. The death of a brother, the birth of a Hero. Come forth the night, Arise from the peak of heaven. Lock-bound to destroy, the sibling of the Hero. Come forth the ice; arise from the depths of the earth. A hero to the knight. A ghostly maiden come to light, Will guide them to their birthright. Friend to enemy, a demon hiding inside. A ring of power, one of destruction or creation. Forgotten power to come alive,

And save all but two lives.’ That is the prophecy that was foretold. It tells of a time when the Lost Princess will return, saved by a young hero. That is all I know of the prophecy.” He waved his hand slightly. “Drake is among those that call themselves the Black Court.” Will sucked in his breath while Alice’s eyes widened with fear. Anica and Nathan looked on, unsure of how to react.

“I believe Drake to be their leader.” Jason went on. “He is trying to prevent the prophecy from coming true. So he’s been rounding up any who attempt to oppose him, any who have even the slightest chance of being the fabled hero.” He became silent for a few moments before going on, gasping slightly with remembered pain. “I had a sister by the name Adrianna. They saw the ‘potential’ in my brother and me as new ‘recruits’ to the Court. My mother died giving birth to my sister, my father in at the Court’s raid. They had been searching for new ‘recruits’. My brother, Miles, and I were the only ones who fit their search. They came for us but we ran, taking Adrianna with us. Everyone that stayed behind…they were slaughtered.” Jason’s eyes filled with angry tears. “Adrianna was eight. Miles and I were nine. We left here in what we believed to be a secure location and went out to scavenge for food, water, wood for a fire. We returned in time to see her being dragged away. We followed them back to their camp and were caught in an attempt to spring her from their prison. We were given a choice- if you could even call it that. Join the Court or…” he trailed off, a tear leaking from his deep blue eyes, tracing a trail down his tanned face.

“Or they’d kill her.” Will finished his voice flat.

Jason nodded. “Two weeks later I found her body in a stream. They told Miles she’d fallen and drowned while bathing. He believed them.” Jason was spitting with fury. “They were the reason she died, the reason why our father and friends died. Now…now they were his new family. I couldn’t just…abandon him to them, Miles is my twin. So we stayed. We were put under Gillion’s command. That’s when the killing started. Drake tried to summon the Soothsayer, wanting to know who exactly he was searching for. Lady Trillriana isn’t the kind to be summoned on call, however.” There was a hint of admiration in his tone. “Gillion, Miles and I were sent to kill her for denying him. In his mind, if she would not tell him, then no one else deserved to know. The Lady was gone by the time we arrived. Gillion send Miles and I to wait at the start of the road, thinking she’d simply gone on a day-trip and had not yet returned. Miles and I knew better than that though- she was already long gone. When Gillion returned to search the house, he found a young boy and his dog. Gillion summoned us to the house. I saw the boy run across the yard to an old barn house, running as if demons chased him. I lied and told Gillion I thought I had seen him run into the trees, praying it would be enough time for him to escape. I was wrong. Halfway to the tree line Miles found the boy’s tracks. We arrived in time to see him trying to ride out on his horse. Gillion would have killed him there. I stepped in between them and instantly Miles made the assumption that I was a part of the prophecy. The one that we’d been schooled to hate. We’d been taught that everyone involved with it was nothing but evil. I’d just wanted the killing to stop.”

“Gillion believed him. He compared me to the first line in the prophecy. “A dark knight arisen”. I was just sick of all the killing. That boy didn’t deserve to die. I was just sick of all the killing. He hadn’t done anything wrong.” The words slurred out of Jason’s mouth. He had dismounted his steed and had sent both horse and dog ahead. They are wonderfully trained, I must say. Somehow he managed to get into the stall of another horse. Gillion saw and shoved me aside. The boy could have left, could have left me for dead. Instead he shot Gillion and helped me onto the horse. Then we rode to the trees. We arrived to where the dog and stallion were, archers had found them. One was attempting to silence the dog, another trying to capture the horse. He was off in an instant. I took down the archer and together we rode further into the woods. Now on different horses, I could not warn him in time when the next archer came. He rode right past her.”

“And she shot him.” Anica finished.

“And she shot him.” Jason nodded, wiping his eyes. “And no we are here. I couldn’t leave behind the one who’d saved me moments before.”

Will remained silent for quiet sometime. “That’s quiet some tale lad.” He couched, his voice shaking slightly.

Anica’s eyes were fresh with tears. “Your brother betrayed you. Didn’t he?” her voice was shrill. “Betrayed you in staying with you after what they did to your father and sister. Betrayed you by turning against you when you saved this boy.”

Jason said nothing.

“Who is the Black Court?” Nathan asked. “I mean…I know a bit about them, but not a lot.”

Will saved Jason the trouble of responding. “They are a group of men that kidnapped the Princess and Princess Heir. They killed the Queen and will one day rule this cursed land.”

Nothing I didn’t already know. Nathan though, shaking his head. “I had no idea it was so bad out here.”

“Out here?” Will echoed, turning to look at the two.

Anica and Nathan exchanged weary glances. “We’re from Farsco.”

“So you’re on your Wayfaring.” Will nodded, rubbing his chin and looking at them with new eyes.

“Yes sir.” Nathan replied promptly.

Jason looked up at them, but remained silent. Will eyed Nathan, examining him from top to bottom. “You said your family name is Carmez, right?”

Nathan nodded, “My father’s name, yes.”

“Do you happen to have a brother?”

Anica gasped. “Nick!”

Will smiled slightly. “That’d be him all right.”

Nathan became stock still, his eyes darkening. “What do you know of my brother?”

“He stopped by here, helped Alice out of a tight spot. We owe your family a great debt. He had mentioned somethin’ ‘bout how she reminded him of his lil’ sister.”

Nathan’s eyes stung with tears. “Lucy.” He whispered.

Will looked to Anica for an explanation. “Let’s just say…” she said quietly. “Jason isn’t the only one to lose a sister.”

Jason locked his eyes with Nathan, his eyes softening slightly. Will looked down for a moment, unsure of what to say.

“What…what of your brother? Nick? How is he?” Alice chimed, trying to lighten the mood.

“He never returned.” Nathan’s voice was silent and cold.

His hand went instantly to a ring on his right hand. The ring was a highly polished silver, an intricate design carved into it; four triangle pointing in the cardinal directions, all touching each other, forming a diamond in the center. Will stood and placed a hand on Jason’s shoulder, looking over at Nathan.

“It’s time we all got some rest. Anica, you’ll be sleeping with Alice tonight and the boys can sleep out here.”

Anica nodded, standing and bending down, kissing Nathan lightly on his cheek. “Sleep well friend. Goodnight Jason.” She followed Alice and Will down the hall, disappearing into a dark room.

Nathan stood, slightly stunned by Anica’s kiss. He walked slowly to Jason, kneeling beside him.

“So you and Anica are…?” Jason raised his eyebrow at Nathan.

“Not at all.” Nathan responded, shock evident in his tone.

Jason couldn’t help a small laugh. The boy stirred just then, blinking open a pair of brilliant green eyes. His eyes slid from Jason’s face to Nathans, groaning softly as he forced himself upright.

“Easy there. You did get shot in the back you know.” Nathan said, placing a hand on his shoulder to steady him.

“Yeah.” He laughed shakily. “Adds new definition to ‘back stabbing’.” Jason barked with laughter, throwing his head back slightly. A smile slipped onto the boy’s pale face, reaching his eyes and seeming to light his soul. “Who are you?” he asked Nathan, guarded curiosity in his voice.

“Easy.” Jason soothed, “He’s a friend.”

“The name’s Nathan Carmez. What are you called?” Nathan asked kindly.

“What am I called? I’m not an animal you know.” He jested. “I’m called Griffin. Griffin Alizono.” He fixed his eyes on Jason. “Jason right?” Jason nodded and he rushed on. “Where are we? Mystic? River? Spirit? Are they safe?”

“Spirit and River are in the stables below us, as is Mystic. I couldn’t risk her attacking Nathan or the others. Were in the Stable Master’s house in Hailton. I brought you here after you were shot. Nathan here cleaned you up pretty well.”

Griffin nodded, a stand of his bright red hair falling into his face. “Help me up will you? I want to go get Mystic.” He started to push himself to his feet but collapsed again, hissing with pain.

Jason and Nathan exchanged a nervous glance. “We can’t until morning. We can’t risk her attacking Will or the girls.”

Griffin groaned and lay back down, throwing his arm over his eyes. “Where’s my shirt?”

Nathan laughed slightly. “In all honesty? We don’t know. Alice probably has it.”

Jason laughed a bit more, lying beside Griffin. “Go back to sleep Griffin. It’s late and Nathan and I are tired. We didn’t sleep the day away.” Griffin snorted and Jason laughed again. “We’ll talk in the morning alright?”

Griffin reluctantly agreed, but was out in moments. Jason rolled his eyes as Nathan lay down on the other side of him, feeling the welcome tug of sleep at his eyelids.

“Goodnight Jason, Griffin.” He said as he drifted off.

Jason grunted a response and in moments, both were asleep.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 pm
r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review this work, Sillia. The title of this work intrigued me so I decided to try and review this. Once I saw how long it was I thought about reconsidering but I decided to do it anyways since not that many other people would be willing to do so. I hope this helps!!!

I am a little confused as to what this is supposed to mean, especially in the context.

It is a little confusing trying to keep up with all your character's including all the animals. Part of the reason for this is probably because I jumped in at chapter three.

“He saved me from my brother and my old mentor when they tried to kill me. We were escaping when he got shot.”
Wow! That is crazy

“And you risked your own life for someone you’ve never met?” Alice’s admired
Wasn't it the other way around? You also need to remove the apostrophe and "s" in "Alice".

Before I read further I just wanted to ask if Jason, Alice, and Will are going to be MC's or not? I am also sort of confused as to who's POV this is written from.

The horses are tiered, we’re tiered.
Here are two typos. Just simple mistakes. There were a few other mistakes, though I din't have time to mention them all.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this. I would give you five gold stars. You should consider publishing this if you are willing to edit this a little. I really like the storyline so far and look forward to reading more! I would say more, but the piece was so long I guess this is enough for now. Happy writing!!! :D

Sillia says...

Thanks for your input! :) I really appreciate it and i'll fix them lil mistakes. Alice and Will aren't MC's. Jason is though

Sillia says...

Oh and i forgot to add, yeah Griffin saved him, but Jason saved him when he got shot so Alice is kinda like focusing on that part because she's talking to Jason, not Griffin, if that clarifies things.

r4p17 says...

Okay. That is nice to know.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:31 pm
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Wow, you write fast.

So I can say the same things about this one as I can with the last bit I read really
-good,solid characters
-well thought out story
-long chapters XD

And all the rest of it.
But the work is top heavy in description and bottom heavy in dialogue again. I think it all needs to be put together as one big thing. So it appears more connected.
I like reading your work it's easy to read. :)

This was the bit I liked best:

It's just so seminal to ALL the characters.
Well done. Keep writing!

Sillia says...

Thanks :) and these are just chapters i've already written so yeahh working on chapter 4 as i type

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh